Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
DOVCommish

Disney Vacation

4 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Its pretty crazy how cheap the off site properties are.    

What's even more amazing is Disney keeps going up on pricing for hotels and they get people to pay it.  This is the pot calling the kettle black coming from me  :)

Judging by the hour long wait for the rental car tonight, thick traffic at 10:30 tonight and lack of fastpasses showing available for tomorrow; I’m thinking it might be just a bit busy. Expected, but will report back.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, AAABatteries said:

Contemporary and AKL are much nicer resorts.  I think the kids will have fun at any - to me the adults would be the one to consider for the resort.  If you don’t have a car then I agree with @Redwes25 - go Contemporary as you can avoid the buses to 2 parks.

I did Contemporary 3 times with my 4 kids and was a great experience.  When they are younger less time traveling and flexibility matters most so IMO you get more “value” for your money.

One year we had access to the Atrium.  If it is the same thing we had it is a special area that you have access anytime that you can grab drinks, food/appetizers/desserts.   It has a great view of fireworks where they pump in the sound while watching from the balcony.  

We would stop in before dinner and have a cocktail.  It was really a next level experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, schlesinj said:

I did Contemporary 3 times with my 4 kids and was a great experience.  When they are younger less time traveling and flexibility matters most so IMO you get more “value” for your money.

One year we had access to the Atrium.  If it is the same thing we had it is a special area that you have access anytime that you can grab drinks, food/appetizers/desserts.   It has a great view of fireworks where they pump in the sound while watching from the balcony.  

We would stop in before dinner and have a cocktail.  It was really a next level experience.

club level is indeed a great experience, but it makes an already expensive room more expensive. It comes down to your budget. On the flip side, depending on the difference, it could save you $$ on dining. If you are not someone that needs a traditional breakfast or mid-day meal, you can pop in for some finger foods before heading out and eliminate a meal cost. Plus the concierge can help in getting you into a restaurant or other nominal requests. 

We did club level at Boardwalk for our honeymoon and it was great. One AM we were sitting next to and met Tim Allen in the lounge. 

• Like 1

in an interesting development (well at least for WDW),  the ABC Commissary appears to be adding self-serve soda fountains. This makes the 1st counter service location outside the resorts to offer self-serve beverages. It does a lot to help move you through the ordering process, but moreover, I wonder if they will begin accepting the rapid-fill resort mugs? 

This has always been an annoyance of mine. The mugs work great but are really limited to the resorts, and if you are someone who doesn't spend much time there, you can debate their value, esp given the meal plan gives you a drink with a meal purchase anyway. My wife annoys me b/c she will always grab a coffee or drink before leaving the resort, then i'm stuck with this useless mug all day in the park taking up decent room in the bag. If they expand the refill program to the parks, then this would be a home run IMO and make the mugs much more useful. 

10 hours ago, 3 hour lunch said:

Judging by the hour long wait for the rental car tonight, thick traffic at 10:30 tonight and lack of fastpasses showing available for tomorrow; I’m thinking it might be just a bit busy. Expected, but will report back.

My kids are on winter break this week - godspeed 

ETA - I should note we are in Atlanta and know a ton of families headed down their this week. 

Edited by AAABatteries

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

My kids are on winter break this week - godspeed 

ETA - I should note we are in Atlanta and know a ton of families headed down their this week. 

Spring breakish crowds. 2 hours for the majors. Thought this would be better than spring break but maybe not!

Well, 13 hours at the park and never rode 7 Dwarves, Thunder or Space (although don’t really like that one anyway). Still enjoyed the day and rode a lot of favorites. Good dinner at Be Our Guest but got sat in the library and was surprised to see it is a $60 set 3 course menu now. Not exactly a value for my 12 and 11 year old girls. Off tomorrow before trying to rope drop FOP on Tuesday at AK......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

They're pushing that early morning magic business on people now.  The "influencers" are hitting it hard.  Every single time I see a compliant about wait times on twitter or reddit someone chimes in about riding the slinky coaster 4 times before the parks open.  I kind of get it, but I don't think that would ever be an option for my family.  Just have to draw the line I guess?   family of 4, is about $450-$500 to walk into a park for the day.  Add $300 to basically just add an hour and 15 minute VIP access to a few rides.  

I'm a conspiracy guy though.  I think they manipulate the wait times.  Make it look like early morning magic is the only way to "get to ride everything."  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

They're pushing that early morning magic business on people now.  The "influencers" are hitting it hard.  Every single time I see a compliant about wait times on twitter or reddit someone chimes in about riding the slinky coaster 4 times before the parks open.  I kind of get it, but I don't think that would ever be an option for my family.  Just have to draw the line I guess?   family of 4, is about $450-$500 to walk into a park for the day.  Add $300 to basically just add an hour and 15 minute VIP access to a few rides.  

I'm a conspiracy guy though.  I think they manipulate the wait times.  Make it look like early morning magic is the only way to "get to ride everything."  

Assuming everything is operating.  Space Mountain was down at early rope drop at MK last time I was there.  It didn’t open for 3 hours after regular open.  So my FP was worthless and standby wait times went to 3+ hours in less than half an hour.  Serious nickel and diming going on at the mouse house these days.

Edited by Osaurus

2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Assuming everything is operating.  Space Mountain was down at early rope drop at MK last time I was there.  It didn’t open for 3 hours after regular open.  So my FP was worthless and standby wait times went to 3+ hours in less than half an hour.  Serious nickel and diming going on at the mouse house these days.

If a ride is down while you are holding a FP for it, the FP should convert to an "anytime FP"  making it good for any other time that day once the ride is open or any other attraction 

• Like 1

Just now, glvsav37 said:

If a ride is down while you are holding a FP for it, the FP should convert to an "anytime FP"  making it good for any other time that day once the ride is open or any other attraction 

I know, but mine did not.  Keep in mind it was a peak day (weekend before Christmas).  

22 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I hear ya. They are milking the #### out of these special openings, and while I have no numbers to back it up, most likely reducing the number of days the park id open early for resort guests. Its a total money grab...but on the flip side with the people coming in droves to these new lands/rides and keeping them at steady 2-3+ hour waits, its a no brainer for Disney to charge for special access to it. I don't even want to think of what they have up their sleeve once SWland opens.

4 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I know, but mine did not.  Keep in mind it was a peak day (weekend before Christmas).  

that's odd...I def would have said something to a CM.

1 minute ago, glvsav37 said:

that's odd...I def would have said something to a CM.

It was a wash.  Now I don’t have to go back until at least 2022.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I hear ya. They are milking the #### out of these special openings, and while I have no numbers to back it up, most likely reducing the number of days the park id open early for resort guests. Its a total money grab...but on the flip side with the people coming in droves to these new lands/rides and keeping them at steady 2-3+ hour waits, its a no brainer for Disney to charge for special access to it. I don't even want to think of what they have up their sleeve once SWland opens.

Yeah, I get it.  Its a business, they're here to make money.  I'm critical of Disney, but I still love it.  I've been super fortunate to be able to go a lot.  But what irks me the most is your typical family that gets 1 or 2 shots at the "Disney Vacation."  

Like you, I have no numbers to back this stuff up, but my guess is the typical family of 4 trip to Dis is 5 or 6 days and probably about $1000 per day when its all said and done.  These guys drop this money and plan ahead 12 months for the room, 6 months for dining, 3 months for FP's and there is still no guarantee after you spend $6000 that you can take your family on FoP or the slinky coaster.  You'll be lucky to ride Space mountain twice and Peter Pan and the mine train once.  

I don't know what the better way is, but I wish there was one.  

When we first started going to Disney, extra magic hours was key. Now, to me, it's the opposite.

We avoid the parks with extra magic hours. However, that trend seems to now becoming the norm.

12 minutes ago, Payne said:

When we first started going to Disney, extra magic hours was key. Now, to me, it's the opposite.

We avoid the parks with extra magic hours. However, that trend seems to now becoming the norm.

Depends on the park, but yeah.  Extra Magic hours means that park is gonna be packed that day.  We did HS this Christmas and by passed toy story land during magic hours.  We rode ToT and RNR 2 or 3 times each in about 45 minutes.   Slinky was a 95 minute wait.  

1 minute ago, jb1020 said:

Yeah, I get it.  Its a business, they're here to make money.  I'm critical of Disney, but I still love it.  I've been super fortunate to be able to go a lot.  But what irks me the most is your typical family that gets 1 or 2 shots at the "Disney Vacation."  

Like you, I have no numbers to back this stuff up, but my guess is the typical family of 4 trip to Dis is 5 or 6 days and probably about $1000 per day when its all said and done.  These guys drop this money and plan ahead 12 months for the room, 6 months for dining, 3 months for FP's and there is still no guarantee after you spend $6000 that you can take your family on FoP or the slinky coaster.  You'll be lucky to ride Space mountain twice and Peter Pan and the mine train once.  

I don't know what the better way is, but I wish there was one.  

Every year, esp around the time when ticket prices go up, the experts debate if "the average family is getting priced out of a WDW vacation?" But yet lines are longer, there is no real slow time anymore and the special events like Halloween parties are booked solid starting way back in August. 

I cringe whenever I talk to a 1st timer planning their vacation, they really have no idea and are in for a world of hurt on their expectations (in most cases). We do have the luxury of being there often and knowing the ins and outs. And like you, I have no problem being critical but do love my trips.  And for all the WDW decenters out there, the current park situation make it hard to defend a trip for someone who is not 100% into it. 

One thing I will say about Disney that I like is that the Florida resident 4 day pass is dirt cheap.  I do get some sweet lodging deals from time to time as well.  

3 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

Every year, esp around the time when ticket prices go up, the experts debate if "the average family is getting priced out of a WDW vacation?" But yet lines are longer, there is no real slow time anymore and the special events like Halloween parties are booked solid starting way back in August. 

I cringe whenever I talk to a 1st timer planning their vacation, they really have no idea and are in for a world of hurt on their expectations (in most cases). We do have the luxury of being there often and knowing the ins and outs. And like you, I have no problem being critical but do love my trips.  And for all the WDW decenters out there, the current park situation make it hard to defend a trip for someone who is not 100% into it. 

Yeah, I feel awful when I talk to friends and neighbors and they're planning their first trip.  

You think the deal is annual passes?  I know at DL if there are 50k people in the park 30k of them have passes.  I just wonder if thats the deal in WDW now?  Locals get a pretty screaming deal on the passes.  The doesn't explain the hotel prices though.  So who knows.  :shrug:

2 hours ago, jb1020 said:

They're pushing that early morning magic business on people now.  The "influencers" are hitting it hard. 

Timely

Disney After Hours selling out at both Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios

1 hour ago in "Disney After Hours"

Disney After Hours appears to be having a surge in popularity, with two nights having recently sold out during this holiday weekend.

Tomorrow night's event at Disney's Animal Kingdom on February 19 2019 is now sold out, and a night at Disney's Hollywood Studios sold out last week.

All Disney After Hours event tickets cost $125 + tax for advance purchase and $129 + tax for day-of purchases. Disney Vacation Club members and Annual Passholders do receive a discounted price $95 + tax.

The event gives you access to the park for three hours after regular park hours, which means nearly no wait for attractions, and you can enter the park early – at 7pm on your event night – before Disney After Hours begins. Ice cream, popcorn and non-alcoholic beverages are also included in your Disney After Hours admission, which is a separately priced ticket from daytime park admission.

• Sad 1

Does Rock ‘n Roller Coaster ever do lights on rides like Space Mountain does?

I had a free couple hours before a client meeting in Celebration yesterday so I snuck over to Hollywood Studios and lucked into a noon fast pass for the ride.  Haven’t done it in years and forgot just how compact the track is, similar to Space Mountain.  Lights off, SM is just fun.  Lights on and it’s a true thrill ride.  I bet RnR would be the same

Booked 7 nights at Port Orleans Riverside in September.  Was originally going to do 4 nights at Contemporary and then 2 nights off property (Sea World and Cocoa Beach), but decided to go for a moderate resort and just stay on property the entire trip (and added a night).  At the advice of my TA, going to take advantage of the Minnie Vans as much as possible to avoid the bus.  Still only doing 3 days at the parks.  Mixing in 2 down days with the Sea World/beach days for "relaxing".  Will hit up Disney Springs.

Thank you to all that gave tips and advice in here.  Will continue reading to ensure that we make the most of the vacation.

Still debating the dining plan.

Can't wait!

Anyone stayed at POR?  Any pro tips?

Edited by doowain
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, doowain said:

Booked 7 nights at Port Orleans Riverside in September.  Was originally going to do 4 nights at Contemporary and then 2 nights off property (Sea World and Cocoa Beach), but decided to go for a moderate resort and just stay on property the entire trip (and added a night).  At the advice of my TA, going to take advantage of the Minnie Vans as much as possible to avoid the bus.  Still only doing 3 days at the parks.  Mixing in 2 down days with the Sea World/beach days for "relaxing".  Will hit up Disney Springs.

Thank you to all that gave tips and advice in here.  Will continue reading to ensure that we make the most of the vacation.

Can't wait!

the minnie vans are great, but pricey. If I remember correctly, they are a $15 initial fee and then a certain amount per mile. Uber and taxies are significantly cheaper.  You can request a taxi right from your bell hop and they have vans, so you can just toss the stroller in the back w/o closing it. 

the one thing Minnie Vans do have is car seats, where not all taxies or regular uber will....but I'm a really bad parent and just strap my kids into the seatbelt, you really are not going that far. 

Yes, you do get a cute car and a friendly Cast Member driver, but weigh your trips based on distance. We did a taxi from Beach Club to Studios and it was $9, almost 12/ the cost and no mileage fee. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, doowain said:

Can't wait!

We really enjoyed our stay at POR.  Our building was pretty far from the main building/dining though, so it made for a walk to get to the food court.  We liked that there was a quiet pool near our room with laundry right there, so we were able to enjoy a day swimming while we did laundry mid-week.  We went to the main pool one time too and our kids, who were between 3-8 at the time, all loved it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

the minnie vans are great, but pricey. If I remember correctly, they are a $15 initial fee and then a certain amount per mile. Uber and taxies are significantly cheaper.  You can request a taxi right from your bell hop and they have vans, so you can just toss the stroller in the back w/o closing it. 

the one thing Minnie Vans do have is car seats, where not all taxies or regular uber will....but I'm a really bad parent and just strap my kids into the seatbelt, you really are not going that far. 

Yes, you do get a cute car and a friendly Cast Member driver, but weigh your trips based on distance. We did a taxi from Beach Club to Studios and it was $9, almost 12/ the cost and no mileage fee. 

Yeah, the car seats are the reason I was thinking Minnie vans.  Not really worried about it with my son (he's a BIG soon to be 4 year old - ~48") but more for my daughter who will be just shy of 2 years old and has her mama's height.  I'm all for shaving some cost though, so I'll have to get my wife on board.

1 minute ago, Shaft41 said:

We really enjoyed our stay at POR.  Our building was pretty far from the main building/dining though, so it made for a walk to get to the food court.  We liked that there was a quiet pool near our room with laundry right there, so we were able to enjoy a day swimming while we did laundry mid-week.  We went to the main pool one time too and our kids, who were between 3-8 at the time, all loved it.  

We are staying in a Royal Room - Garden View.  Not sure what the Garden View really entails, but I think I read that the Royal rooms are closer to the main building/dining?  Is that accurate?

3 minutes ago, doowain said:

We are staying in a Royal Room - Garden View.  Not sure what the Garden View really entails, but I think I read that the Royal rooms are closer to the main building/dining?  Is that accurate?

They didn't have those when we stayed there, but yes, my understanding is that they are equivalent to a preferred room location in Alligator Bayou, so should be a shorter walk to the dining.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, doowain said:

Yeah, the car seats are the reason I was thinking Minnie vans.  Not really worried about it with my son (he's a BIG soon to be 4 year old - ~48") but more for my daughter who will be just shy of 2 years old and has her mama's height.  I'm all for shaving some cost though, so I'll have to get my wife on board.

You might be best with the Minnie vans then.  I've been turned away from an from Uber in Orlando before with young kids (probably 5 and 3) and no car seats.  Otherwise you have to specifically request and uber with Car seats, but the rate starts going up.  

• Like 1

I also really enjoyed my time at Riverside. Never had an issue with the busses. We ate at Boatwrights and thought it was fantastic. Walk over to the other side for beignets. 

Have fun

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I also really enjoyed my time at Riverside. Never had an issue with the busses. We ate at Boatwrights and thought it was fantastic. Walk over to the other side for beignets. 

Have fun

Mmmmmm....beignets.

@doowain PO also has prob the best-kept entertainment secret on property. 

YeHaa Bob does his FREE family-friendly show a few nights a week at the River Roost Lounge there and its a hysterical time for a non-park, down time night. You'll want to get there slightly early, bc the tables fill up fast, enjoy some drinks and nachos. Bob is a phenom b/c he will walk around the lounge and introduce himself to everyone and will work people into the show, remembering every name and detail. His show is a lot of fun and he's won the very distinguished Legacy Award, which is the highest honor cast members, crew members, and Imagineers can achieve at Walt Disney Resorts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, doowain said:

Can't wait!

We stayed there last summer.  Not sure of any tips.  I had read that the buses pick up from the 4 depots in a certain order, so certain areas of the resort were better.  We were at the second-to-last spot before the main building, and we never had to wait long for a bus.  

• Like 1

some new, but vague information on the transformation of Epcot came out today. 

Wonders of life building will become a "First of its kind Play Pavilion" (whatever that means) 

“This innovative, new pavilion is beyond anything we’ve ever created and is completely unique to Epcot,” said Zach Riddley, portfolio executive, Walt Disney Imagineering. “Built on the power of play, it introduces an immersive and interactive ‘city’ where you can explore, create, and interact with some of your favorite Disney characters. This is an experience worthy of our bold vision for Epcot – and another signature element of our transformation.”

Also, more info about the entrance plaza reimagining. The leave a legacy tiles will be moved off to the side of the entrance, a new fountain will be added as well as bringing back some of the lush greenery.

There will also be exciting changes to the way you come and go at Epcot! As you can see above, changes are coming to the Epcot main entrance, where the plaza will welcome guests with new pathways, sweeping green spaces and a newly reimagined fountain. This new design will pay homage to the original park entrance with fresh takes on classic elements.

As part of the new entry experience, Leave A Legacy photos will be moving into a beautiful setting just outside the park’s gateway. Additional significant redevelopment will begin between Spaceship Earth attraction and the World Showcase Promenade. More details about the transformation of this area will be announced at a later date.

see the images in the link

Ha, just read that. Thought how long until glv posts it

• Laughing 1

Just now, AcerFC said:

lol...just doin' my job around here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

little bits of info are getting released as SWLand begins to get finalized. 

So before you wait 6 hours to ride it, know that the "Rise of the Resistance" ride will carry a 40-inch min height. 

Despite being in a trackless ride vehicle, guests will experience a drop towards the end of the attraction. The drop will reportedly simulate an escape pod blasting off, taking guests in their transports swiftly back down to the planet Batuu. We’re not talking about a drop the height of the Tower of Terror here, but at least most of the height of the fairly large show building that houses this ride.

The sign goes on to indicate the minimum height requirement for Rise of the Resistance: 40 inches. For the record, other trackless Disney attractions such as Mystic Manor and Ratatouille do not have this restriction as they do not feature such drops.

20 hours ago, glvsav37 said:
20 hours ago, AcerFC said:

lol...just doin' my job around here. 

Local news was hilarious trying to report on this yesterday.  They knew "something" needed to be said, but none of them were sure what :lmao: 

8 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

little bits of info are getting released as SWLand begins to get finalized. 

So before you wait 6 hours to ride it, know that the "Rise of the Resistance" ride will carry a 40-inch min height. 

They need a weight maximum.   That would alleviate the wait times on probably every ride.   It would on FoP for sure.  

3 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

They need a weight maximum.   That would alleviate the wait times on probably every ride.   It would on FoP for sure.  

True story....and I'd probably be on the outside looking in :bag: 

7 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

"Sir, what is your BMI?"

• Laughing 1