What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

They should install the water bottle filling fountains on the parks and the FBG here should go into the t shirt making business. We'd make boatloads
Installing water bottle stations would be great idea for quests and the environment but doubt they do it since it will cut into sales of water. 

Installing water bottle stations would be great idea for quests and the environment but doubt they do it since it will cut into sales of water. 
yeah, I know it will never happen, but I just can't see it being all that different than the water fountains there already that people use to fill up.  I genuinely think people are THAT lazy that it wouldn't be a significant impact, but I understand them not wanting to test the theory.

yeah, I know it will never happen, but I just can't see it being all that different than the water fountains there already that people use to fill up.  I genuinely think people are THAT lazy that it wouldn't be a significant impact, but I understand them not wanting to test the theory.
You can already go up to any restaurant and ask for water and they will give it to you for free.  No reason to ever buy bottled water in the park unless you wanted to carry it around with you (and most months it would get hot as piss in 15 minutes anyway).

Sadly, if you want to go to any popular destination during a busy season you are going to need to plan way in advance.

Try winging it with any of the popular national parks during the summer and you will be miserable. It's so cheap to travel now and international visitors have enough money that major attractions all over the world are consistently overwhelmed.

I had a woman on another forum go off on me because of how detailed I have planned my family's vacation to a bunch of parks including Yellowstone. But I don't have a ton of extra money or time and if I can avoid wasting time trying to figure out what to do each day or standing in huge lines/crowds, then you'd better believe I'm going to research and over plan. Better to overplan and have the option to cut back than waste time and get frustrated because you don't get to do what you wanted.

But as a Planner, I'm more than happy if everyone else wings it. That gives me the advantage and allows me to do the things I want to do and see the things I want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife just informed me that she wants to change our spring break plans and instead of going to Charleston go to Orlando and hit Universal for 5 days.  I'll read through the thread for the Universal stuff but a couple of quick questions:

• Is the Park to Park pass worth it?  We can pay essentially $10/day to do it so it almost seems like a no-brainer and my understanding is if you want to ride the train you have to have it, right?
  • I can get a discounted pass and pay for 2 days and get 3 days free so 5 total days - is that too much?  There's an option for 5 days with the water park too
  • Big one - do they have ADR equivalents and am I going to be screwed having not already done these?

Wife just informed me that she wants to change our spring break plans and instead of going to Charleston go to Orlando and hit Universal for 5 days.  I'll read through the thread for the Universal stuff but a couple of quick questions:

• Is the Park to Park pass worth it?  We can pay essentially $10/day to do it so it almost seems like a no-brainer and my understanding is if you want to ride the train you have to have it, right?
  • I can get a discounted pass and pay for 2 days and get 3 days free so 5 total days - is that too much?  There's an option for 5 days with the water park too
  • Big one - do they have ADR equivalents and am I going to be screwed having not already done these?
Hey GB, we've been mixing in Universal stays into our WDW trips now. 

The park to park pass is kinda worth it. Univ got really sneaky in that one of the HP rides—Hogwarts train—is actually an attraction and a 'shuttle' between the 2 main parks. So in order to ride it, you need to have a park hoper—they literally check you out of one park and into the other before you board. IDK if you are a HP fan—I'm not but I respect it—and I thought the ride was pretty cool. 

5 days is a long time for Univ, but that depends on if you have the Express Pass. There are 2 types of EP's,  The regular EP gets you into what is their FastPass line for each ride 1x per day. Then there is an unlimited EP that is like the golden ticket, FastPass access to every ride, anytime. Neither one requires booking or reserving ahead of time like WDW's FP. I'm not gonna lie, going to WDW after using the Unlimited EP at Universal, made WDW's FP basically feel like erectile dysfunction. 

If you have EP, you can do the main parks in 2 days, 3 max. But EP will cost you. That is unless you are staying on property at either the Hard Rock, Portofino, or Royal Pacific. At those 3, the Unlimited EP is included as part of your stay.  IDK what it costs ala carte, b/c we normally stay at one of those. 

EP does not work at the water park. They have a system that everyone gets called "Tapu Tapu". It's a wristband/watch that allows you to got to a kisok outside a ride and make a digital reservation by 'tapu-ing' it. Then do yuor thing and the watch will tell you when to go back to the ride. It does other things, but this is the main purpose. Kinda like the old FP, I think you can only have 1 ride reserved at a time. 

I have not done the water park yet, but I hear its pretty cool, but on the small side. 

As for ADRs, nope, generally, you don't need them. You just go up and wait like you would do at an Applebees on Saturday night. But these restaurants are huge and the wait is not generally bad. Plus most of them are on CityWalk so you can stroll and grab a drink there while you wait. The only thing I reserved ahead of time was the Minion/Despicable Me Breakfast. Plus on site resort guests get priority seating as does (from what I understand) Landry club members. 

Here is a good rundown of the restaurants and policies

Side note:

I was thinking of asking if you guys would like me to post universal news and such here. Even though its a 'Disney' vacation thread, the conversation sometimes bounces toward Universal Studios. Let me know...lots happening there right now. 

I had four different conversations in MK and Epcot yesterday with families who hit me up with the "Hey, do you know anything about this fastpass stuff?  How much does it cost and where can I get them?"  Does Disney not tell you the deal when you purchase a vacation with them?  I know nothing came with our year passes, but I assumed that they give you the info you need to know to have a shot at a pleasurable experience for the thousands you are spending for a week there.  If they don't, that's pretty ####ty IMO.

I had four different conversations in MK and Epcot yesterday with families who hit me up with the "Hey, do you know anything about this fastpass stuff?  How much does it cost and where can I get them?"  Does Disney not tell you the deal when you purchase a vacation with them?  I know nothing came with our year passes, but I assumed that they give you the info you need to know to have a shot at a pleasurable experience for the thousands you are spending for a week there.  If they don't, that's pretty ####ty IMO.
When we went last summer they sent all sorts of a FastPass info ahead of time, I don’t know how you could miss it. But that was with a package with onsite hotel. I could see where if you stayed offsite and just bought park tickets, you might have no idea. 

its easy for me to be like "really, WTF is wrong with you??? How do you NOT know about fastpasses???"

But to try and put myself in the shoes of a nube, I guess there is just sooooo much content out there that I could see how someone whos not really a fanboy could get blinded by it. Mentions of FP are really not that well called out on the WDW home page. Its the 6th item down under the "My Disney Experience" tab, well under "My Magic Bands," "My family and friends," and "View my photos" ...it prob should have more prominence. 

Yes, you do get a bunch of packages in the mail leading up to your trip, but as @themeanmachine said, maybe you don't get them if you stay off site...actually prob not b/c i know its in a booklet that contains all your resort info, magical express, etc—nothing that would apply to anyone staying off site. 

Regardless, IDK how someone would go someplace that has never been and NOT google "Vacation tips for a first timer at (insert destination here)." 

I just did and there are 161,000,000 results, with the front page literally:

• First Time Disney World Visit Tips - Disney Tourist Blog
• Don't Make These 10 First Time Disney World Visit Mistakes
• Tips for Planning your first time at Disney World: A Step-by-Step Guide
• 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First Disney World Vacation
• 19 Essential Tips for Planning Your First Walt Disney World Vacation
• 26 Tips for Walt Disney World First Timers
• 12 Things Most Walt Disney World First Timers Don't Know
• Heading to Disney World for the First Time?

I didn't click the links, but I'm willing to be at least one of them mentions Fastpasses, so i kinda have a hard time really feeling sorry for these people. 

Edit to add....I did click one link and fount this:

5) Fastpass is included in the price of your ticket

Some theme parks charge extra for services similar to Fastpass, Disney however does not. A seasoned Disney fan might actually be surprised at how many first time guests do not use Fastpass+ at all because they assume they’d have to pay extra for it.

lolz

Ok...so the people I talked to were staying off site.  Both asked me how they purchased fastpasses.  Since I have never stayed on site, I was wondering.  I'm glad they tell you, at least, while onsite.  I'll also say that both groups were "older" groups.  Grandparent types there together with no kids etc.  I guess there's still a generation out there that's being missed.  My emotions were torn between feeling bad for them and "wtf, get it together people".  That still left two families who came "spur of the moment"....I'm not sure if they were staying onsite or not, but "spur of the moment" doesn't lend well to getting fastpasses.  They were from Jacksonville area.

Good news, Rafiki's Planet Watch will be reopening this summer at AK 

The area will have some new enhancements as well more Lion King theming and character meets. 

Side note:

I was thinking of asking if you guys would like me to post universal news and such here. Even though its a 'Disney' vacation thread, the conversation sometimes bounces toward Universal Studios. Let me know...lots happening there right now. 
Fine by me, I think a lot of trips overlap between the two.  I know next time I go to Disney world we will likely do Universal on the same trip.  Though to be honest my next trip is to DisneyLand.  

I’ve never once had anybody ever ask me this in the gajillion times I’ve been to the parks. Were you wearing some kind of fastpass help department shirt or something? 

I’ve never once had anybody ever ask me this in the gajillion times I’ve been to the parks. Were you wearing some kind of fastpass help department shirt or something? 
:lmao:   Seriously....I have no idea.  I did have on one of the bands with my annual pass tag on it.  I said the same thing to my wife when I came home.  It was strange.

Interesting article comparing the overall size of Galaxy's Edge to the other 'Hot' lands—Pandora and both Harry Potter lands at Universal—and how this will displace the crowds much better. Overall, GE is almost the same size as all three of the other lands combined. 

if you're not doing anything on the 28th, fire up the big screen and log into the Disney Parks Blog (or their YouTube Channel) to watch them stream Illuminations from Epcot. 

Its only running through this summer, so catch it while you can if you don't plan on going anytime soon. 

The NBA Experience will open on August 12th at WDW's Disney Springs, taking over what was the old DisneyQuest site.  

The location will offer:

Experience one of the biggest milestones for a basketball player at the NBA Draft with a photo moment that re-creates the atmosphere of the draft stage.

Track and improve their jump shots and passing skills in a replicated NBA Combine challenge, complete with a scouting report that highlights their stats at the end of the session.

Step onto the court and hear the roar of the crowd as they maneuver through a series of timed shots to aim for a high score.

Execute the perfect slam dunk just like NBA superstars, captured by cameras surrounding adjustable baskets.

Test their ball-handling skills with an interactive trainer who will challenge them with a variety of dribbling routines.

Use an oversized slingshot to launch basketballs at hoops of varying heights, making as many shots as possible before the clock runs out in this thrilling timed challenge.

Immerse themselves in the rich legacy and history of NBA and WNBA championship-winning teams.

Access a team locker room that showcases up-to-date statistics and visuals of top NBA and WNBA players.

Test their knowledge of the NBA and WNBA – past and present – during a trivia game with up to 25 participants competing against one another to be champion.

Enjoy two 180-degree cinematic presentations that showcase the in-arena experience moments before the start of the game, as well as special stories from the players’ perspectives.

Take a seat at an interactive multi-screen module to watch replay clips from NBA games, using the tools at their stations to make the right calls.

Play interactive basketball games, from the fan-favorite Pop-A-Shot to modern video games

And of course, you’ll be able to explore a retail store featuring exclusive NBA-themed merchandise designed by Disney.
I was really hoping that this would have opened earlier, I'm going to miss it on my next trip. I'm not an NBA fan, but my daughter plays basketball and would have loved to experience this. 

The NBA Experience will open on August 12th at WDW's Disney Springs, taking over what was the old DisneyQuest site.  

The location will offer:

I was really hoping that this would have opened earlier, I'm going to miss it on my next trip. I'm not an NBA fan, but my daughter plays basketball and would have loved to experience this. 
Lame. We need an NHL one, amirite 

Lame. We need an NHL one, amirite 
don't get me started! 

closest they got was when ESPN actually showed hockey and there was some good NHL memorabilia in the ESPN Zone at the Boardwalk. I remember them even having a 'puck cake' as a desert. 

The location will offer:

But how much and whats the wait time?  Kidding!  

This is something I would have eaten up as a kid, but my kids could care less...which is kinda nice.  

The location will offer:

This is cool - my son plays AAU basketball so his non-school life revolves around it - he will love this.  Definitely need to make plans to go when we are there in September.

Post about some important changes at WDW starting soon.

• We already spoke about the large stroller restrictions

• Also no wagons

• Now there will be no smoking inside the parks, only at designated areas outside the main gates. 

• No dry or loose ice inside coolers inside the park, only reusable ice packs

No smoking seems like a big leap for Disney.  I'm glad they've always pushed them in a corner, but its still frustrating when you have to go near them.  

I don't smoke. Can't stand it. But of all the times I have been to Disney, I have never felt this was a problem. It's outdoors. 

I don't smoke. Can't stand it. But of all the times I have been to Disney, I have never felt this was a problem. It's outdoors. 
There are just a couple of spots the come to mind where all the smokers congregate....at MK behind the speedway, if you take the less traveled path to Space Mt if gets packed with smokers and a spot at AK behind the Lion King Show.  Its 2019...if your're still smoking you're used to it being a pain in the ###.  

I don't think its a problem how it is now, but more of a mild annoyance.  

Had some kid vaping on the Kilimanjaro Safari last time.  He yelled “look” and pointed the other way while he let out a huge cloud.  So dumb.  I saw him making friends with some nice security folks not too long after we got back.

Osaurus said:
Had some kid vaping on the Kilimanjaro Safari last time.  He yelled “look” and pointed the other way while he let out a huge cloud.  So dumb.  I saw him making friends with some nice security folks not too long after we got back.
That would annoy me

glvsav37 said:
Post about some important changes at WDW starting soon.

• We already spoke about the large stroller restrictions

• Also no wagons

• Now there will be no smoking inside the parks, only at designated areas outside the main gates. 

• No dry or loose ice inside coolers inside the park, only reusable ice packs
If you're out at the parks all day you can't refreeze these suckers before the next morning.  Someone here had a nice trick before.  Freeze some water bottles and use those as ice packs.  As they start to melt drink the water.  That worked for us last trip

If you're out at the parks all day you can't refreeze these suckers before the next morning.  Someone here had a nice trick before.  Freeze some water bottles and use those as ice packs.  As they start to melt drink the water.  That worked for us last trip
yea thats the play. We do that, we order a case of water and always have a few bottles frozen for each day. Pop a new one in before we go to the parks and by morning you have a completely sustainable ice pack. Just gotta make sure you pour out a little water before you freeze it. 

There are just a couple of spots the come to mind where all the smokers congregate....at MK behind the speedway, if you take the less traveled path to Space Mt if gets packed with smokers and a spot at AK behind the Lion King Show.  Its 2019...if your're still smoking you're used to it being a pain in the ###.  

I don't think its a problem how it is now, but more of a mild annoyance.  
And walking from Africa over to Asia behind the tree of life.  That is brutal.  

Why are they banning ice of all things? 
To make bag checks faster when entering the park.  The security staff hated having to dig through it as well.  My understanding is that it’s ok if you bring it in drinks, just not loose in a cooler.
Wonder what they'd say if you put it in the cooler still in the bag?  Seems like a good compromise.  I can't tell you how excited I am about the stroller restriction....now onto the 4x4 scooters!!!!!

Wonder what they'd say if you put it in the cooler still in the bag?  Seems like a good compromise.  I can't tell you how excited I am about the stroller restriction....now onto the 4x4 scooters!!!!!
We’re down here now, I’ll ask security if I have a chance.  Most rooms don’t have a freezer to freeze freezer packs anyway.  We got a cabin this trip, I can’t recommend it enough if you’re on the fence.

Anyone hear when the free dining is supposed to drop this year? I'm going first week of December and will take advantage of it if I  can.

Deranged Hermit said:
Anyone hear when the free dining is supposed to drop this year? I'm going first week of December and will take advantage of it if I  can.
With Star Wars opening and them doing free dinning in summer I doubt they do the regular December time. 

Deranged Hermit said:
The fall free dining was announced already - we were able to snag a reservation during our kids school Fall Break.  I haven't heard anything around December (yet).

if you're not doing anything on the 28th, fire up the big screen and log into the Disney Parks Blog (or their YouTube Channel) to watch them stream Illuminations from Epcot. 

Its only running through this summer, so catch it while you can if you don't plan on going anytime soon. 
UPDATE: This has been moved to April 9th. IDK why, I couldn't watch it Thursday b/c of a commitment, but here is another chance. 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/03/disneyparkslive-to-stream-illuminations-reflections-of-earth-live-from-epcot-march-28-at-855-p-m-et/

Edit to add more enticing details. 

During the livestream, the Walt Disney World Resort is expected to unveil additional details about Epcot’s ongoing expansion project, which includes a new entrance and play pavilion, as well as a new nighttime spectacular named “Epcot Forever” to premiere once IllumiNations ends late this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread