What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (6 Viewers)

glvsav37 said:
In another chapter of "IP on Everything"  Seems the rumor lately is that characters from film and TV will be added into Its A Small World for MK's 50th anniversary. 

They already exist in the Tokyo version. 
Nice try, no way I’m clicking that link and getting that song in my head - might as well advertise it as a Rick Roll link. ;)  

modogg said:
holy F, this thread is 305 pages?? can we get cliff notes or any summary? 

went to the one in california few weeks ago during a conference. you can get through that park in a day
lol...no cliff notes available. You are either all in or GTFO! Mouse for life! 

As it is, stuff at those parks changes so fast and everyone experiences it differently that there is no 'one size fits all' vacation there. 

Yea, i have not been to Disneyland in a while, cant wait to get back there, but it is a much different vibe then a WDW Orlando vacation. 

good news for those who like to stay at the Grand Floridian. Work is happening quickly on the walking pathway that will connect the resort to the the Magic Kingdom entrance. Previously there was a walkway that extended past the monorail station toward the GF, but it ended abruptly at a canal that serves the MK boats and the Electrical Water Pageant floats. You can see it here

Recently WDW announced that they are installing a drawbridge to connect the resort to the MK, and today a large swinging drawbridge was delivered to the site.  Apaprently it wil lbe able to swing out (verses up) into the lagoon to allow access to the canal when needed. 

As someone who stays at Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary strictly for the easy walking access to the MK, this will give Grand Flo guests the same quick access. more importantly, it will take some strain off of the monorail and boat system. 

lol...no cliff notes available. You are either all in or GTFO! Mouse for life! 

As it is, stuff at those parks changes so fast and everyone experiences it differently that there is no 'one size fits all' vacation there. 

Yea, i have not been to Disneyland in a while, cant wait to get back there, but it is a much different vibe then a WDW Orlando vacation. 
yeah, my kid is 2. we were waiting until closer to her being 5 to go, but this thread will be 600 pages by then . so maybe we go sooner....

good news for those who like to stay at the Grand Floridian. Work is happening quickly on the walking pathway that will connect the resort to the the Magic Kingdom entrance. Previously there was a walkway that extended past the monorail station toward the GF, but it ended abruptly at a canal that serves the MK boats and the Electrical Water Pageant floats. You can see it here

Recently WDW announced that they are installing a drawbridge to connect the resort to the MK, and today a large swinging drawbridge was delivered to the site.  Apaprently it wil lbe able to swing out (verses up) into the lagoon to allow access to the canal when needed. 

As someone who stays at Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary strictly for the easy walking access to the MK, this will give Grand Flo guests the same quick access. more importantly, it will take some strain off of the monorail and boat system. 
This is awesome news. About time imo.

yeah, my kid is 2. we were waiting until closer to her being 5 to go, but this thread will be 600 pages by then . so maybe we go sooner....
its a big debate about 'when is the right age' with the biggest defense for waiting as 'i want them to remember it' 

There really is no right answer. However we went when my daughter was 5 and also had my son who was 1, and honestly I say that he was more fun then she was (yes, i love her and she was fun, but for the purpose of this discussion).....

When you go with a very young child, in all honestly the memories are for you, and as narcissistic as it sounds, its ok. My wife still looks back at the photo books from that trip often and gets the mommy feels 8 years later.

My son at 1, got his first hair cut at the Main St Barber shop (they do a nice commemorative package for 1st cuts), held on to the characters like they were big teddy bears and got amazing photos, experienced his first parade (and they have big ones), etc. But also, he was in a stroller for 90% of the time and when he was tired he just crashed right there and we could keep on going. No bathroom breaks, just find a quiet corner or use the baby care room and change him up. No charge for food, yea we had to bring supplies, but we had the stroller. Most of the rides are very calm and family friendly, so he could go with us on most things. 

My daughter on the other hand, at 5 was afraid of her own shadow, I literally had to give away Splash Mountain Fast Passes (the paper ones) b/c she would not walk into a short cave in the line b/c it was too dark. Kids just get cranky, esp when hot and tired, so we did frequent trips back to the resort for melt-down time. She ate like a bird, but was still charged full price on the dining plan. 

again, going any time is fun as long as you adjust your expectations accordingly. But if I could do it all over again, I would have no issue bringing a 1 or 2 year old. 

Our kids were 4 and 2 on our first trip and like @glvsav37 it might have been the most fun we had.  Sure the 2 yo doesn't remember it but we show her the pictures all the time.  She had a blast and we had even more fun watching them soak it in.   

2 year old hating Disney here

4 yo tolerates it....

Enter to win a 5-night stay at the new WDW Riviera Resort or 1 of the weekly gift card prizes

Just watch the video on the making of the resort to enter. You do not need to be a Vacation Club member to enter, but you might get some solicitation emails. 

Our kids were 4 and 2 on our first trip and like @glvsav37 it might have been the most fun we had.  Sure the 2 yo doesn't remember it but we show her the pictures all the time.  She had a blast and we had even more fun watching them soak it in.   

2 year old hating Disney here

4 yo tolerates it....
hmm. i was thinking she wouldn't be into it as much, but as i catch up with this thread seems a lot there. we are hitting Sesame Place in a few weeks which she will enjoy, but maybe we try to go for next year

Rude/uninterested employees, grounds are dirty compared to Disney 
This. The ride queues are particularly garbage strewn. A kid in the row behind me actually asked the ride attendant if she hated her job because of how she was acting. Really gives you an appreciation for the effort at Disney. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Secured Ogas this morning. So now Ive got all 3 booked. Will probably drop the Droid experience though. 

Brought it up casually yesterday and asked each kid which they would want, a droid or saber. My son said saber and my daughter initially said droid.  Then she said, actually niether since I wont touch it once we get home anyway. Can I save the money and get stuff at Lu Lu Lemon instead. 

Welcome to the world of teens. 

Don’t watch movies in the theater much any more and kind of rare at home too.  Was in the mood to watch a movie so the wife and I perused Netflix and decided on Saving Mr. Banks, which I had wanted to see since it came out.  As you all know, we are huge Disney fans but also really big Mary Poppins fans - outside of the Pixar movies, Poppins is our most watched Disney movie over the years.  

Anyway, I thought it was outstanding - I just loved it.  I’m a big poosay anyway but I don’t care - cried multiple times during the film.  Several things just really resonated with me:

- the relationship between Ginty and Travers, having two daughters of my own

- Walt talking about his relationship with his Dad

- the impact on Mrs. Travers of what happened with her father and how she defended him

- Travers drinking himself to death which is exactly what my wife’s father did 4 years ago

- all the Disney magic and bringing Walt “to life” - thought Hanks did a good job

- just the details of how Mary Poppins (movie) came about - the interactions between the film brain trust and Mrs Travers and most importantly....

- the wonderful songs - I got a stupid grin on my face I’m sure every time they introduced a new song.  That soundtrack makes me feel like a kid again and always makes me smile

Can’t believe it took me so long to watch it.

On the topic of Universal Orlando's newest park and the release of the concept art a few weeks ago, check this out if you have time

Parkstop PodCast is IMO one of the most informed and accurate forecasters of the them park rumors, esp at UO. In this youtube version, they break down every square inch of the concept art and make some pretty smart and compelling predictions as for what is going on inside each land. They have an audio only version you can get though your podcast listening app, but the visuals really help for this topic.

On the topic of Universal Orlando's newest park and the release of the concept art a few weeks ago, check this out if you have time

Parkstop PodCast is IMO one of the most informed and accurate forecasters of the them park rumors, esp at UO. In this youtube version, they break down every square inch of the concept art and make some pretty smart and compelling predictions as for what is going on inside each land. They have an audio only version you can get though your podcast listening app, but the visuals really help for this topic.
Omg that video is an hour long. Can you just give the cliffs notes?

Capella said:
Omg that video is an hour long. Can you just give the cliffs notes?
sure...

• park entrance

• lots of water and fountains

• Supposedly cool stuff

• I dont know what that is

• Nintendo land looks awesome

• Dont know what that is

• This is a theater. 

• More cool stuff

• Classic monster land looks cool, is that Frankenstien's tower? 

• Hotel looks like a hospital

• Fantastic beast land doesn't have much detail so lets speculate of 10 minutes. 

• This building looks like a planetarium, one thinks its show, the other host thinks it a restaurant

•  Random roller coater

• How to train your dragon land, might have a log flume and smaller roller coaster. 

• Of course none of this confirmed yet, so......

Florida peeps 

Just read that there will be a special Halloween ticket for $299 that gets you into every party except Halloween night. 

Pretty good deal if you plan on hitting 2 or more. 

Florida peeps 

Just read that there will be a special Halloween ticket for $299 that gets you into every party except Halloween night. 

Pretty good deal if you plan on hitting 2 or more. 
thats a crazy good deal. I heard that someone worked it out and if you went to every party, it would average out to $8 per night

I’m a Star Wars nerd so I am biased but Galaxy’s edge is the best thing Disney’s ever done by far. The land was way bigger than I was expecting, there are stores that you just walk in and can spend an hour looking around at and the Falcon ride was GREAT. We did it 4 times. Just an A+ experience. It helped that there weren’t many people there due to it being restricted to passholders but I thoroughly loved it. Was wild to see things like chewbacca walk out to inspect the millennium falcon. 

The queue for Smuggler’s Run is like 9 miles long so they are definitely expecting ridiculous wait times. I’ll be avoiding it then. 

I’m a Star Wars nerd so I am biased but Galaxy’s edge is the best thing Disney’s ever done by far. The land was way bigger than I was expecting, there are stores that you just walk in and can spend an hour looking around at and the Falcon ride was GREAT. We did it 4 times. Just an A+ experience. It helped that there weren’t many people there due to it being restricted to passholders but I thoroughly loved it. Was wild to see things like chewbacca walk out to inspect the millennium falcon. 

The queue for Smuggler’s Run is like 9 miles long so they are definitely expecting ridiculous wait times. I’ll be avoiding it then. 
Was this at Disneyland?

:hey:

The 2020 Moms Panel application schedule was released a couple days ago.  I won't be applying (and it turns out because of my sister's job with a major hotel chain I'm ineligible anyway) but it was fun seeing the announcement and I'll be helping/encouraging a few applicants along the way.  

I'll be in Orlando at the end of September.  We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside and hitting up WDW for the kid's birthday.  

Just reserved a room at the Disneyland Hotel for March 2020.  We're going to California for Spring Break, Disneyland is one of the stops.  

We'll be spending some time in Europe next summer (the kid will probably go to college overseas) and my wife wants us to spend a day or two at Disneyland Paris just in case anyone in Europe suspects for one second that we aren't Americans.  

:hey:

The 2020 Moms Panel application schedule was released a couple days ago.  I won't be applying (and it turns out because of my sister's job with a major hotel chain I'm ineligible anyway) but it was fun seeing the announcement and I'll be helping/encouraging a few applicants along the way.  

I'll be in Orlando at the end of September.  We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside and hitting up WDW for the kid's birthday.  

Just reserved a room at the Disneyland Hotel for March 2020.  We're going to California for Spring Break, Disneyland is one of the stops.  

We'll be spending some time in Europe next summer (the kid will probably go to college overseas) and my wife wants us to spend a day or two at Disneyland Paris just in case anyone in Europe suspects for one second that we aren't Americans.  
Welcome back Bruce!! 

When in September? I'll be there from the 27-Oct 2nd for a conference. If schedules align I owe you a cold beer or at least a passing high-five!! 

Welcome back Bruce!! 

When in September? I'll be there from the 27-Oct 2nd for a conference. If schedules align I owe you a cold beer or at least a passing high-five!! 
Current itinerary

9/25 afternoon flight in to MCO, check in at Riverside
9/26 EMH at DHS (Star Wars!  Nothing but Star Wars!); rest at hotel; dinner at Ohana, After Hours at Magic Kingdom
9/27 Food & Wine Festival at Epcot; Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom
9/28 Magic Kingdom (BOG breakfast), rest at hotel, evening at DHS (ride FPs, Oga's Cantina reservation)  
9/29 Animal Kingdom morning and afternoon (I haven't been to AK since Pandora opened and all the work along the river got done), fly home that night

Current itinerary

9/25 afternoon flight in to MCO, check in at Riverside
9/26 EMH at DHS (Star Wars!  Nothing but Star Wars!); rest at hotel; dinner at Ohana, After Hours at Magic Kingdom
9/27 Food & Wine Festival at Epcot; Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom
9/28 Magic Kingdom (BOG breakfast), rest at hotel, evening at DHS (ride FPs, Oga's Cantina reservation)  
9/29 Animal Kingdom morning and afternoon (I haven't been to AK since Pandora opened and all the work along the river got done), fly home that night
bummer that might be tough. I fly in mid day on the 27th and go straight to Disney Springs for a speaker's dinner. Then Sat and Sun I'm in sessions till 6pm and IDK if I'm going to the parks those nights. 

I'm sticking around Monday and Tuesday as its the last showing of illuminations and the 1st showing of the new show. So i'll do my theme park time then. 

Does this thread contain info on Disney cruises?   Hoping to not have to read 300+ pages and come up empty.  
not directly, but do you have any specific questions? I've never taken one so I cant help too much. 

I would suggest checking out Disboards.com too, they have a ton of info there, they'll have a dedicated cruise line forum. 

Big weekend coming up! D23 is happening this year, they do it every other year, and its their big runway show for all things theme parks, resorts and cruises, movies and TV and all things Disney related. 

I'll try and keep the thread updated as best i can.

Lots of speculation, apparently there is a super secret Disney corporate announcement, but it could be anything, esp being Universal Orlando just announced their new park. 

Some of the topics expected or rumored are:

• Epoct reimagining details
• Magic Kingdom's 50th anniversary details
• Maybe Iger's replacement announcement
• Star Wars Hotel Details
• Cruise line info including the new island and new ship names
• Marvel info, in film and in the parks. 

Some chatter ahead of the D23 announcements regarding MK and some big time refurbs. 

Both Big Thunder and Jungle Cruise will close shortly (no dates released yet) for refurbishment with a target of Summer 2020 to reopen, in time fro the 50th anniversary. No one knows what to expect, however we have been asking for the dynamite ending that BTM has in DL and was hoping that it would have been added with the last recent refurb. 

edit: here is the ending I was talking about. I still miss the falling stones projection and wiggling rocks from the final cave. 

As for Jungle cruise, it is ironically in line with the pushed back release of the new movie starring The Rock. He hinted that the ride might be updated to match parts of the movie, but it was never confirmed and quickly swept under the rug. THat movie was expected to open this year, but was pushed  back in the schedule for 'unknown reasons'

Lastly, it appear that the Carousel of Progress will finally get out from being stuck in Christmas 1985, however this refurb will not happen until AFTER the 50th celebration, so ewe have a few more years of laser disks, burnt turkey and incompetent dad. This also puts the refurb after the opening of Tron coaster. 

Anyone see the Star Wars Hotel pricing?  No doubt his is an experience of a lifetime...but OMG

Cabin for one? Pricing for a 2-night/3-day stay starts at $3,300 for one person, or just over $1,000 per person, per day. Cabins do sleep up to five passengers, so there’s also the option of maxing out the cabin occupancy for a relatively cheaper price per person. A cabin with five passengers would cost $7,200, or roughly $1,440 per person, for a more feasible $480 per person, per day price range.

Does this thread contain info on Disney cruises?   Hoping to not have to read 300+ pages and come up empty.  
I just got done with a Disney cruise. We were on the Fantasy for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise, which went to Tortola, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay.

Am I the only one that doesn't "get" Jungle Cruise?  My wife and kids like it...it's always been "meh" to me.  I feel like that space could be used to do something better...just not sure what.

Am I the only one that doesn't "get" Jungle Cruise?  My wife and kids like it...it's always been "meh" to me.  I feel like that space could be used to do something better...just not sure what.
Its not a must do for me every time, but when I do it I enjoy it.  I go for the jokes. 

Anyone see the Star Wars Hotel pricing?  No doubt his is an experience of a lifetime...but OMG
Once I read that all meals and everything is included like a cruise, it is a little more understandable. but curious to see how a 3 night 2 day stay here impacts going to the actual parks. Or are they figuring the people staying for the experience wont be doing anything but Galaxys Edge. That doesnt seem like the Disney way

We are taking 2 disney cruises in the next 9 months. Fire away with questions, other than am I insane (that answer is yes).

I just got done with a Disney cruise. We were on the Fantasy for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise, which went to Tortola, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay.
We are about to book a cruise for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.   Grandkids (10 total) range from 3 to 18.  We figured this would be a good option to entertain the kids mostly.  

Are we way off on this?

How is the entertainment for kids?

how is the entertainment for adults?

do you need excursions at the islands or can you find things to do?  

I am sure I’ll come up with more.  Thanks in advance.  

We are about to book a cruise for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.   Grandkids (10 total) range from 3 to 18.  We figured this would be a good option to entertain the kids mostly.  

Are we way off on this?

No it should be a great option for all. My only problem with Disney cruises is no casino but if you don’t gamble you’ll probably appreciate that. 

Entertainment for kids is an A++. More for them to do than they could probably fit in a week. Teenagers have some kind of room for them with games and a replica millennium falcon but I can’t really talk about it bc I haven’t been in there. 

Lots of super nice bars for adults only. One with a European theme I particularly like. The shows are all disney themed as you’d expect so your mileage may vary with that. They’re quality though. 

Most of the ports have shopping but we usually do excursions. Prices vary from 60 a person to hundreds. Lot of people just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet time without all those people. 

Food on a Disney Cruise is extremely good. Make sure you book palo and/or remy. Must-dos imo. 

Hey man! Glad to see you back. First is in December for Christmas than in May for my mom’s 75th birthday. Surprising her. 
Good to be back.  It’s amazing how much has changed and how little has changed. 

Which destinations (is that the right term) did you pick?

No it should be a great option for all. My only problem with Disney cruises is no casino but if you don’t gamble you’ll probably appreciate that. 

Entertainment for kids is an A++. More for them to do than they could probably fit in a week. Teenagers have some kind of room for them with games and a replica millennium falcon but I can’t really talk about it bc I haven’t been in there. 

Lots of super nice bars for adults only. One with a European theme I particularly like. The shows are all disney themed as you’d expect so your mileage may vary with that. They’re quality though. 

Most of the ports have shopping but we usually do excursions. Prices vary from 60 a person to hundreds. Lot of people just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet time without all those people. 

Food on a Disney Cruise is extremely good. Make sure you book palo and/or remy. Must-dos imo. 
👍

Sounds like it is a good time.  I’ll have more questions as we get closer.  

Are we way off on this?

from what I know: 

Entertainment is great, but its disney, so you will get variety shows with popular songs and dances from the movies. They do a lot of on-deck night entertainment stuff, so 1 night will be a "Pirate Night" where you are encouraged to dress like a pirate and all the characters are dressed accordingly. EAch ship also has the most current disney movie playing on-board for free. 

There are amazing kids clubs for all ages. They do crafts, scavenger hunts, character visits, watch movies, etc. It even goes well into the night with pajama parties and stuff. Parents get a wristband and pager to keep in touch if needed. I hear that the kids never want to leave. 

There is the private Disney island which is a blast from what I hear. Honestly I would prefer a cruise that just stops there. But there is also a challenge, even on the ship, that Disney rewards their multiple-cruise guests. They have tiers, where the more you have cruised, the earlier you have access to amenities and tours. So like 'Gold members' can reserve cabanas on the boat of island earlier then 1st timers.  So things get sold out quick sometimes. 

The price is no joke though. As Capella said, there is no casino, so I think that + the Disney name makes them much pricer then the rest of the cruise lines. So if you are planning a large group keep that in mind. Plus, they work on a system where the more the boats fill, the more a cabin costs. So the earlier you can book the better. If you get an inside room, they actually have digital portholes, where they broadcast on the wall a live video of what you would see if you had a real porthole, plus they add Nemo and stuff swimming by once in a while.

thats what I have heard, take it for what it is worth bc I've never been, but I follow a lot of Disney information

Good to be back.  It’s amazing how much has changed and how little has changed. 

Which destinations (is that the right term) did you pick?
This one in December is San Juan and the British Islands, then castaway cay. May is Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Cozumel and Castaway. We’ll probably take a boat day on one of those. 

Users who are viewing this thread