Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
DOVCommish

Disney Vacation

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

The Disney cruise that I was on was for my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary.  I think it ended up being a good option for all.  Grandkids ranged same ages.  18 year old was able to find some kids his own age and made some friends.

My son was 3.  It was still a good option for him, but I thought the kids' club area (the Oceaneer Club) was geared to a little bit older.  He was intimidated by it, and did not want to be left alone.  They throw kids aged from 3-12 in the same rooms.  I have some nieces and nephews who are around 5-7 and they had a better time in there.  Still a good time, but harder for my wife to take advantage of some of the adult activities.  But still some open house type stuff down there we were able to do.  We also took him to the pool and game area on the ship.  Also movies, including current theatrical releases play in the movie theatre.

But we could not sign up for some of the adult activities anyway -- because it was our first Disney cruise, we were at the bottom of the list for signing up for activities.  Some of the more interesting adult stuff (like the cocktail classes) were full before it even got eligible for us to sign up.  Some of the family went down to guest services on sailing day and stood in line for an hour-plus to sign up for the waiting list, and they were able to get into some of that.  But I did not get the time to do that.

On the islands, what cruise itinerary are you looking at?  My cruise stopped at Nassau and Castaway Cay.  Enough to do at Castaway Cay.  In Nassau, we did a gardens/zoo tour type thing.

Good stuff. Thanks!

that is a pretty wide age range for the younger kids.  But, it will keep most of them together.  So, I guess that is good.  

Disappointed to hear some of the options won’t be available as we are also newbs.  

We are looking at 5 night Bahamian cruise out of Port Canaveral. I think that is two stops at Castaway Cay.  That may be the same as you. 

I guess I’ll ask, how are drink prices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GStrot said:

Good stuff. Thanks!

that is a pretty wide age range for the younger kids.  But, it will keep most of them together.  So, I guess that is good.  

Disappointed to hear some of the options won’t be available as we are also newbs.  

We are looking at 5 night Bahamian cruise out of Port Canaveral. I think that is two stops at Castaway Cay.  That may be the same as you. 

I guess I’ll ask, how are drink prices?

That does sound same as me.  We did two days in Castaway Cay, and 1 day in Nassau.

I think if you actually can get down to guest services to get on the waitlist, you have decent odds for some of the activities.  I think a lot of the repeat travelers just sign up for everything to reserve it, and then cancel before they charged for it to free up spots.  

Drink prices were decently reasonable; closer to a local bar than a ballpark price.  ETA: And you can bring up to 6 beers or 2 bottles of wine per adult.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so a lot happened this weekend at D23, and simultaneously nothing happened. Lots of announcements, some we expected, things we expected didn't happen (no Brazil or new WS pavilion again), and a few huh's?

I'm still playing catch up, unfortunately  I was away most of the weekend with family events os I could not keep up with the news as it happened. 

The Big features was the reimagining of Epcot. 
• The park will be divided into 4 neighborhoods.
—World Celebration will be the entrance through the middle of the park, including SSE, what will be left of Innoventions, and a new crazy architectural pavilion/garden thing where the fountain is now. 
—World Discovery is the west side where the Guardians coaster is, Mission Space and Test Track. 
—World Nature where Land, Living Seas and a new Moana inspired experience. I'm not sure how imagination fits into this. 
—World Showcase

• The UK will get a Mary Poppins attraction, not a lot of details yet, but people are speculating that it will be similar to the Enchanted Tales with Belle at MK. 

• Illuminations will end in September, a new temporary show "Epcot Forever" will be followed by "HarmonioUS"  will be the largest nighttime spectacular ever created for a Disney park. It will have the music of Disney by a diverse group of artists from around the globe. It will feature massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics, lasers and more.

• Ratatouille will open in Summer 2020

• Canada and China are getting brans new movies

• Space Ship Earth will be closing for a 2 year refurb. However instead of telling the tale of historic communication, it will focus on the power of storytelling to unite the human experience. There will be a new narration and score. You will follow a magical “story light” that brings the entire experience to life in dynamic ways, giving each scene energy and beauty that ties the entire journey together. At the end, you will exit to a huge sculpture celebrating Walt Disney. 

• Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the name of the new coaster. The ride will feature a coaster car that rotates 360 degrees to focus your attention on the action, and will be the first reverse launch on a Disney coaster.

 

 

• One of the new cruise ships will be named the Disney Wish

• Lighthouse Pointe will be the second Disney owned cruise ship port and be completed in 2022/23.

 

• A new digital experience called "Disney Genie" will be a planning tool to help give you customized experiences and plans based around themes. 

 

• Cirque du Soleil will be ready with a new show for the Disney Springs theater in 2020. WDW and CdS have teamed up the brand new show. Disney characters will be a central element combined with the CdS acrobatic artistry.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Nextdoor neighbor (took his kids out of school):  "Sheer madness...people everywhere"

Falcon ride had a 390 minute wait at 7:05. Insanity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I'm thinking about driving down for a Christmas trip.  I would arrive and check in on Saturday Dec 21st, and probably Check out on Sunday December 29th.  I have only gone (flights) during April Vacation and in August previously.  We have previously stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge.  We need to go a little more budget this time around.  Kids are 14 and 10 now, so the monorail isn't so important anymore.  We always did the park hopper plus tickets in the past, but we will possibly just get straight tickets this time.  We love Typoon Lagoon and will hit that once or twice hopefully.  Without park hoppers will we be SOL for parks after 5pm?  Would we need two tickets that day?

  I was looking at Disney's site online and the park tickets vary obviously.  We had previously used AAA to book hotel and tickets.  Do they actually save me money, or should I just do it myself.  Is this a bad time to go?  Do we need to buy any Christmas event tickets like at Halloween?  Should I just wait until April vacation and fly?  Are the lines going to be bad?  Any advice is much appreciated.  I used to be an expert on Disney but it's been a while.  Thanks

Edited by PIK95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on FB that people began lining up at 3:30 am. They must have expected it b/c they let them through bag check and 4 and then walked them to the land at 5. Apparently the land opened at 5:30. 

Yea, thats a hard nope for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurricane is scaring everyone off....we are doing an impromptu weekend....just about any fast pass we want, except Avatar of course...and slinky dog :lol: 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Hurricane is scaring everyone off....we are doing an impromptu weekend....just about any fast pass we want, except Avatar of course...and slinky dog :lol: 

Awesome. I love cold weather days too when everyone’s afraid to go outside and the parks are dead until 10 am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea we are thinking of going over Sunday. Lol

Awesome. You gotta turn a negative into a positive :lol:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Awesome. You gotta turn a negative into a positive :lol:

My wife is worried about filling up gas-wise when we get back but I think we aren’t in the cone of danger. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Capella said:

My wife is worried about filling up gas-wise when we get back but I think we aren’t in the cone of danger. 

We fueled up at 4am this morning at a Wawa in Riverview before heading to the airport. There were a couple of other folks there filling up gas cans and it was very chill. I think you’ll be fine for gas. Just go at a weird time and you’ll avoid the panic. I got gas at a Sam’s Club the other day bc I had less than an 1/8th of a tank and seemed like most people were maybe filling up a half tank or less. Just a lot of paranoia and hype feeding this. Be safe and enjoy the parks for me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea we are thinking of going over Sunday. Lol

Brilliant! Monday even better? I’m 90 minutes away.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

We fueled up at 4am this morning at a Wawa in Riverview before heading to the airport. There were a couple of other folks there filling up gas cans and it was very chill. I think you’ll be fine for gas. Just go at a weird time and you’ll avoid the panic. I got gas at a Sam’s Club the other day bc I had less than an 1/8th of a tank and seemed like most people were maybe filling up a half tank or less. Just a lot of paranoia and hype feeding this. Be safe and enjoy the parks for me.

:hifive: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Brilliant! Monday even better? I’m 90 minutes away.

I would assume it will be almost empty on Monday. 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, glvsav37 said:

I saw on FB that people began lining up at 3:30 am. They must have expected it b/c they let them through bag check and 4 and then walked them to the land at 5. Apparently the land opened at 5:30. 

Yea, thats a hard nope for me. 

Damn - that would be perfect for me.  I frequently wake up at 4 or 5 and would love to go ride a SW ride instead of staring at a clock trying to decide if I should piss or sleep for 10 more minutes before I wake up again and do it all over.

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:
10 hours ago, Capella said:

Yea we are thinking of going over Sunday. Lol

Brilliant! Monday even better? I’m 90 minutes away.

We are a go ghost rider!!!  We are a go!!  MK today, Monday we're headed to AK to see if we can't get my wife on Avatar for the first time :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent ride. But of course we had two little kids as drivers. Doesn't let them go too off course. 

THANKS DORIAN!!!!!

didn't think I'd ride this for a couple years!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 4:41 PM, PIK95 said:

  I'm thinking about driving down for a Christmas trip.  I would arrive and check in on Saturday Dec 21st, and probably Check out on Sunday December 29th.  I have only gone (flights) during April Vacation and in August previously.  We have previously stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge.  We need to go a little more budget this time around.  Kids are 14 and 10 now, so the monorail isn't so important anymore.  We always did the park hopper plus tickets in the past, but we will possibly just get straight tickets this time.  We love Typoon Lagoon and will hit that once or twice hopefully.  Without park hoppers will we be SOL for parks after 5pm?  Would we need two tickets that day?

  I was looking at Disney's site online and the park tickets vary obviously.  We had previously used AAA to book hotel and tickets.  Do they actually save me money, or should I just do it myself.  Is this a bad time to go?  Do we need to buy any Christmas event tickets like at Halloween?  Should I just wait until April vacation and fly?  Are the lines going to be bad?  Any advice is much appreciated.  I used to be an expert on Disney but it's been a while.  Thanks

Bump?  TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

Bump?  TIA.

There are tons of guys in here way more knowledgeable than me here but I'm pretty sure the parks are very packed for Christmas and that entire week.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't go anywhere near the parks at Christmas,  especially the week between Christmas and NY

 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to talk the wife into traveling to a galaxy far, far away tomorrow.

Her objections, “it’s too hot. It’s gonna rain.”

I try to explain that we’ll never have a better scenario for low crowd pressure.

I may have to fly in the solo line. Han Solo that is. I’m just itching to blast a Tie Fighter and say, “get out of here Wedge!”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, PIK95 said:

Bump?  TIA.

One of the. Busiest times to visit. Expect very long lines for everything. Over 4 hours for the big rides is not uncommon. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Flying Turtle said:

One of the. Busiest times to visit. Expect very long lines for everything. Over 4 hours for the big rides is not uncommon. 

Yup. My brother and his family went that week two years ago and swore he'd never do it again.  And that was without Star Wars crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando airport closing at 2 am and Disney closing parks early tomorrow around 2 or 3 pm. End of days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Qualify this with the fact that I am NOT a big Star Wars guy, BUT.....if I'd waited in the Smuggler's Run line that first day for 7+ hours for THAT ride, I'd have been pissed.  To me, it was very similar to Star Tours with some interactive roles for people to play.  I'm glad we got to do it, but I don't see what the fuss was all about.  For me, Avatar is still the gold standard in terms of rides.

ETA:  And I appreciate their wanting to make the land an immersive experience, but it's going to be lost on people like me.  Having a simple chat with crew members while waiting in line was virtually impossible.  

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Qualify this with the fact that I am NOT a big Star Wars guy, BUT.....if I'd waited in the Smuggler's Run line that first day for 7+ hours for THAT ride, I'd have been pissed.  To me, it was very similar to Star Tours with some interactive roles for people to play.  I'm glad we got to do it, but I don't see what the fuss was all about.  For me, Avatar is still the gold standard in terms of rides.

ETA:  And I appreciate their wanting to make the land an immersive experience, but it's going to be lost on people like me.  Having a simple chat with crew members while waiting in line was virtually impossible.  

The big ticket ride is rise of resistance. Supposed to be a game changer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

The big ticket ride is rise of resistance. Supposed to be a game changer. 

ah....would that be the one that is at the very front by the entrance that isn't done yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Commish said:

ah....would that be the one that is at the very front by the entrance that isn't done yet?

Yup. 

 

What were you referring to with chatting with crew members? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yup. 

 

What were you referring to with chatting with crew members? 

I don't know why, but I look at the name tags and where they're from and if I see something interesting I chat them up a bit.  Or talking to them about it being absurdly hot to be in those all consuming costumes or talking to them about the visitors and how that's been going or talking to them about the hurricane etc.  The ONLY reference I got (and I had to piece it together...at first I thought it was simply a joke) was about "being used to the heat from the three suns".  The rest they'd talk about these different places (not sure if they were planets, or places on a planet) being similar in condition or talking about this particular set of "beings" being more bearable than this other one.  I just gave up...had no idea what they were talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I don't know why, but I look at the name tags and where they're from and if I see something interesting I chat them up a bit.  Or talking to them about it being absurdly hot to be in those all consuming costumes or talking to them about the visitors and how that's been going or talking to them about the hurricane etc.  The ONLY reference I got (and I had to piece it together...at first I thought it was simply a joke) was about "being used to the heat from the three suns".  The rest they'd talk about these different places (not sure if they were planets, or places on a planet) being similar in condition or talking about this particular set of "beings" being more bearable than this other one.  I just gave up...had no idea what they were talking about.

Yea but for the nerds that’s a large part of the fun. But I get it if it isn’t for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea but for the nerds that’s a large part of the fun. But I get it if it isn’t for you. 

I know, and I get it.  It's why I qualified my comments initially.  I knew I was in for it, when I was walking in and they basically gave me a translation guide to study while I was in line :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad day as a big chunk of Epcot will be closing tomorrow. 

Club cool, Starbucks (they will reopen in the Oddesy), and the character spot will be walled off tomorrow night and demolished as part of the new Epcot reimagining. 

 

So long Beverly! So long....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For you guys that have split your stay between two hotels, is Uber/Lyft the only way to move between the hotels? Going from Beach Club to the Contemporary with luggage for 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RG623 said:

For you guys that have split your stay between two hotels, is Uber/Lyft the only way to move between the hotels? Going from Beach Club to the Contemporary with luggage for 4.

well for starters, the resort will move your luggage for free between the 2 resorts. It just may take a few hours. 

Otherwise, if you really want to bring your bags,  uber/lyft or a Taxi can get you there. There are van taxies that are just as cheap as Uber/Lyft, prob cheaper b.c you don't need the uberXL. Taxis can be called right at the resort bell stand and are usually no more than a parking lot away. 

You are going to have a gap in time anyway though. Check out is around 10 and check in at the new resort is at 4. So your bags will need to be stored somewhere—either at BC or at Contemp—while the room is getting ready. So my option is just give them to the BC baggage guys and go enjoy your day. Then head to CR after 4 and everything should be there. 

A side note, if you are on the dining plan, realize that you will have 2 separate plans.  They go by resort stay, not overall length of stay. So you will have had to buy 2 dining plans to be covered for the full trip. On your "checkout resort 1/Check in resort 2" day,  you will effectively have double credits. Make sure that they are taking the right credits, and any credits from the 1st stay will expire at midnight on your "check out of resort 1" day. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Leaving today for 4 nights at bay lake. Love being able to walk to magic kingdom.

Awesome.  Enjoy.  We love BLT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Busch Gardens is pretty awesome. Think it's better than universal

I don’t want to harp on it but I was pretty underwhelmed overall with Universal - I think my expectations were too high.  Granted, we still had a good time but the idea that they are as good or better than Disney is just nonsense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At magic kingdom right now. So far so good crowd wise. Got here at 8. Its now 11 and we have done aladdin, jungle cruise, splash mountain, peter pan, little mermaid, small world, carousel, and had a fatty cinnamon roll at gastons. Have 11:05 fastpass for buzz light year followed by winnie the pooh and then will likely head back to hotel for nap time. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, The Commish said:

Busch Gardens is pretty awesome. Think it's better than universal

Which one did you go to?  Tampa?  I was at the Williamsburg one probably 20 years ago and it had some great coasters.  Also, remember you could drink anywhere there which felt so different then Disney.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redwes25 said:

Which one did you go to?  Tampa?  I was at the Williamsburg one probably 20 years ago and it had some great coasters.  Also, remember you could drink anywhere there which felt so different then Disney.  

Yeah...we were in Tampa.  The best part is the variety....I have three kids....12, 7 and 2.  There's something there for all of them, though the 7 year old wants to do some things she's not tall enough for yet.  Beers everywhere, though Disney is trying to change that.  Feels forced in Disney for some reason.  Personally, it's been so ####### hot that the last thing I've wanted to put in my dehydrated body is beer.  It really is absurd how much I sweat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I may avoid this thread for a few weeks - our trip would have been 9 days away - Free Dining and Food & Wine.  :kicksrock:

I am sorry if i missed it, but is everything ok? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I am sorry if i missed it, but is everything ok? 

Yep - definitely 1st world problems and nothing wrong.  Just decided dropping 7k for that trip didn’t make a lot of sense.  We’ve been fortunate to travel a lot lately and have a lot more on the horizon.  Our “issue” is having a family of 6 so lodging is just insane on property.  We managed to have free dining twice this year and cancelled both just because we wanted to spend the money on other trips.  

I realize I totally sound like a ##### complaining that I don’t get to go to Disney for the 20th time.

Edited by AAABatteries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Yep - definitely 1st world problems and nothing wrong.  Just decided dropping 7k for that trip didn’t make a lot of sense.  We’ve been fortunate to travel a lot lately and have a lot more on the horizon.  Our “issue” is having a family of 6 so lodging is just insane on property.  We managed to have free dining twice this year and cancelled both just because we wanted to spend the money on other trips.  

I realize I totally sound like a ##### complaining that I don’t get to go to Disney for the 20th time.

Complain away. We have been cutting back our trips here as well. It is just way too expensive for us these days. The fact that these parks are constantly filled with people is just insane to me. They just keep raising prices and getting more and more people. An annual pass was 499 in 2010. It is 1119 now. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 10:42 PM, glvsav37 said:

A side note, if you are on the dining plan, realize that you will have 2 separate plans.  They go by resort stay, not overall length of stay. So you will have had to buy 2 dining plans to be covered for the full trip. On your "checkout resort 1/Check in resort 2" day,  you will effectively have double credits. Make sure that they are taking the right credits, and any credits from the 1st stay will expire at midnight on your "check out of resort 1" day. 

We've been talking about a split stay for our next trip since there's so many resorts we want to try out.  Sounds like doing Dining Plan with it will gig us for an extra day of food though, huh?  So if it's a Sunday thru Saturday stay with a Wednesday resort switch, we pay for Sun-Wed, then Wed-Sat?  Surely they have a way to realize oh it's a split stay, let's not charge for one day because Wed is double? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member