Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
DOVCommish

Disney Vacation

Just back from 5 days in Disneyland/California Adventure.  Disneyworld really needs to step their game up.   World still has Animal Kingdom (no Land comparison at all...although Indiana Jones beats Dinosaur so bad it isn't even funny), The World Showcase (I'm not even counting the front of EPCOT for the next two years and Radiator Springs destroys Test Track...…..Cars Land might be the best Disney "land" around), two awesome Water Parks and the Magic Express.....but I thought just about every comparable item was superior in Anaheim.....particularly in their respective Magic Kingdoms.  I don't think there's a comparable ride that's better in World than Land....even the Tower of Terror v. Guardians. There, I said it.  

I certainly feel like you get way more your moneys worth in Land that World.....as those World wait times and the 60 Day FP really slow your day down.  Just thinking about that 60 Day FP and Fast Passing #### like Philharmagic and  GOofy's Barn Stormer because your E- ticket FP slots are gone makes me more apprehensive about going to World over Land for the next couple of years. 

I can't get over how much more use Land gets out of their space relative to that of  World....and they're even getting a Mickeys Runaway Railroad in 2022.  There's no reason World shouldn't have a plethora of Dark and Kiddie Rides ala Snow White/Pinocchio/Toad/Casey Jr./Storybook/Toon Town and that great Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

I want one of those.

I’m assuming you’re watch The Imagineering Story on Disney+.  It took me over 2 hours to get through E1 because I kept pausing and rewinding the Disneyland construction footage.  So cool they thought to film so much of that, and in color.  

@Thunderlips first of all, top tier username.  I’ve seen Rocky III at least 30 times.  

Of the six Disney Parks in the USA, DCA is my favorite.  And IMO Disneyland is a superior version of Magic Kingdom.  At DLR you miss out on the awesome WDW food scene, but if you adjust expectations and count on subsisting on street foods like corn dogs, it works out.  And there isn’t the deep variety of resorts at DLR.  There’s a lot of standard hotel options in Harbor and Katella walking distance from the DLR gates, but they lack the awesome theming the WDW Resorts have, even the Value ones.  (I enjoy just walking the grounds at Pop Century and Art Of Animation)

Having been to both DLR and WDW a lot, the big difference I’ve noticed is the intensity of the crowds.  If DLR gets crowded, a lot of the SoCal AP holders will just leave and come back next week.  Most WDW visitors don’t have that option, and for a lot them, this is their only time visiting so there is no tomorrow.  The cast members at WDW are MUCH higher quality and you get a much better service experience, but the DLR crowds are better at policing themselves.  
So yeah, I greatly prefer DLR to WDW.  But I’m very very happy both exist.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

@Thunderlips first of all, top tier username.  I’ve seen Rocky III at least 30 times.  

Of the six Disney Parks in the USA, DCA is my favorite.  And IMO Disneyland is a superior version of Magic Kingdom.  At DLR you miss out on the awesome WDW food scene, but if you adjust expectations and count on subsisting on street foods like corn dogs, it works out.  And there isn’t the deep variety of resorts at DLR.  There’s a lot of standard hotel options in Harbor and Katella walking distance from the DLR gates, but they lack the awesome theming the WDW Resorts have, even the Value ones.  (I enjoy just walking the grounds at Pop Century and Art Of Animation)

Having been to both DLR and WDW a lot, the big difference I’ve noticed is the intensity of the crowds.  If DLR gets crowded, a lot of the SoCal AP holders will just leave and come back next week.  Most WDW visitors don’t have that option, and for a lot them, this is their only time visiting so there is no tomorrow.  The cast members at WDW are MUCH higher quality and you get a much better service experience, but the DLR crowds are better at policing themselves.  
So yeah, I greatly prefer DLR to WDW.  But I’m very very happy both exist.

Excellent points; particularly the one about the Cast Members. I've been telling people that I thought the CMs were more enthusiastic/better in DW....I just forgot about that one.  The DL CMs weren't I did seem though like it was more of a job to them and they wore that on their sleeves a bit. The CMs in DW seem genuinely enthusiastic and are very engaging. I do think the crowds are a bit more high intensity at DW(that can be both good and bad) and were more chill at DL.  

We stayed at The Castle at Harbor/Katella and it was good enough. I believe it was "Disney Friend" hotel.....and although theming was minimal, the 5-10 min. walk in case we forgot a sweatshirt or even to go back and chill for a bit was well worth it.  Can't imagine the convince of the Grand Californian. I've only stayed at the Values, but I think that DW doesn't do the best job of trying to keep you at your resort for the day. The pools are good, but even something like a Challenge Trail area at a resort cluster might do more to make you feel like your money is going further with more entertainment options.  

Food was decent enough as they were doing their Festival of Holidays but they are lacking in Sit Down places.

Interesting about the Annual Pass Holders as we saw that a bit.  Sat/Sun/Mon were nice warm days with sun and the crowds seemed high (although nothing compared to DW crowds).  Wed. it was rainy with a high in the upper 50s....and you're talking no MaxPasses running out, 10-15 min. waits for the Matterhorn.....5-10 for Big Thunder......even 15-25 for Space Mountain/Pirates/Haunted Mansion/Smugglers Run.  Oddly, the one with the highest was Peter Pan with over 30min for pretty much the entire day (even while Snow White/Toad/Pinocchio has 5 to 10 min wait).

I'll obviously never refuse a DW trip and still love it.  Going forward though, I think  I'll use it a WAY more leisurely manner (more resort time/ packing a bathing suit, rope dropping for a ride at a Park and then going to the Water Park(s) for the day before returning to the Park).....and then if I get a need to have a "high level"/power Disney trip....I'll go to DLR.

Christmas party was fun and sparsely attended on Friday night. I think the key to these things now is go way before the actual season. Halloween in September and Christmas in November. That’s going to be our new plan. 

• Like 3

We're in again!  Next year might be a Disney filled year for us.   

Just booked 7 nights at the Poly/Lake View using 153 DVC points.  Its the middle of October.  We always debate the meal plans, but the total for the Disney Dining Plan is just over $2000.  That honestly doesn't seem all that bad.  Not sure if thats a special they're running now or what?  Its 5 of us total now with our new adopted daughter.  Plus my oldest will be 10 so hes an adult now.   We know with the new addition we have to do a couple of character meals so its a no brainer for us.   One trip to the Tusker House (our favorite) would be like $200+ now.  

The only other decision now is season passes or just day tickets?  6 day passes for all of us is $2410.  Thats without a park hopper.  We rarely have used it, but I like knowing i have it in case plans change.  

For "just" $1300 more we can get annual passes.  That does include the park hopper and photo pass, which we would always get the photo pass ($169).  Throw in the park hopper and it basically makes the passes another $1000.  

Having the new kid in the mix I feel like we might need to go ahead and get these passes.  She needs her Disney fill.  

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, Capella said:

Christmas party was fun and sparsely attended on Friday night. I think the key to these things now is go way before the actual season. Halloween in September and Christmas in November. That’s going to be our new plan. 

Yeah it seems like the last pocket of “off-season” is right after the Halloween-to-Christmas changeover in November.  Either then or late January/early February, but that top part of the calendar year is a big maintenance season and you risk having a lot of attractions shut down.  

After the nest empties, my wife wants to do a WDW trip where we catch the tail end of Halloween and stick around to see the Xmas decorations go up.  It’s a great way to catch both big seasons on one trip, and for diehard Parks fans like us I’m sure witnessing first-hand how quickly the cast takes down one overlay and installs another would be a cool way to experience the magic.

ETA: after watching E3 of The Imagineering Story, she’s upgraded Disneyland Paris to “must-visit”, too.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Yeah it seems like the last pocket of “off-season” is right after the Halloween-to-Christmas changeover in November.  Either then or late January/early February, but that top part of the calendar year is a big maintenance season and you risk having a lot of attractions shut down.  

After the nest empties, my wife wants to do a WDW trip where we catch the tail end of Halloween and stick around to see the Xmas decorations go up.  It’s a great way to catch both big seasons on one trip, and for diehard Parks fans like us I’m sure witnessing first-hand how quickly the cast takes down one overlay and installs another would be a cool way to experience the magic.

ETA: after watching E3 of The Imagineering Story, she’s upgraded Disneyland Paris to “must-visit”, too.

We just did this, doing Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween party on the last night (Nov. 1), then returning to the Magic Kingdom on Monday, November 4th.  The cast told us on the 1st that they were excited because they were going home that night and returning to work the next day, it would be Christmas.  That is correct, they did the switch overnight - one night.  The other parks had already changed over.

That Disneyland Paris looks pretty cool, I must say.  The slingshot to kick off the Space Mountain ride looks like a lot of fun, both from the ride and from the park.  Thunder Mountain from the spectator perspective looks awesome too.

DLR announces themed After Dark events in 2020

After Hours themed events: an 80s night with throwback music and character dress, Sweethearts Night where the meet-and-greets are all Disney couples, Pixar Night with less-frequent Pixar characters like Joy and Sadness and Russell & Carl, and a Villains Night where the Villains characters take over.  

I have not been able to watch the imagineering story yet, but you guys are making me excited for my trip to Paris this summer. 

On 11/24/2019 at 3:04 PM, Capella said:

I will let you know how it works closer to Christmas....we are going on the 12th....staying overnight at Grand Floridian.  It's a place my wife has always wanted to stay, but never has.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Commish said:

I will let you know how it works closer to Christmas....we are going on the 12th....staying overnight at Grand Floridian.  It's a place my wife has always wanted to stay, but never has.

Going the 12th as well.

2 new magicband colors coming out on Friday. 

I think Im going to choose the dark gray for my next trip. Daughter wants the mint green

• Like 2

Okay, so we're discussing maybe going in late March or slightly later in the spring. 

Disney cruise will happen, then we will probably take two or three days to hit the parks and universal. 

If you only had one day to spend at Disney, do you just hit Magic kingdom or do you do a park hopper to hit MK and another park? 

Ages - 5yo girl, 9, 12, 15, 17 boys. The 15 and 17yo could go on their own but will probably want to stay with their sister. 

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Okay, so we're discussing maybe going in late March or slightly later in the spring. 

Disney cruise will happen, then we will probably take two or three days to hit the parks and universal. 

If you only had one day to spend at Disney, do you just hit Magic kingdom or do you do a park hopper to hit MK and another park? 

Ages - 5yo girl, 9, 12, 15, 17 boys. The 15 and 17yo could go on their own but will probably want to stay with their sister. 

I would say do 1 day at MK

HOWEVER, that could change if any/all are huge star wars fans. If not, stick with MK. Something for everyone on that list

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AcerFC said:

I would say do 1 day at MK

HOWEVER, that could change if any/all are huge star wars fans. If not, stick with MK. Something for everyone on that list

The boys are SW fans, but not necessarily huge. They're much more into marvel. (So is Dad, mom doesn't care at all) 

It will be tempting to split up at universal other than the HP stuff. I'm not sure what the girls would do, but the guys will enjoy Marvel.

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

The boys are SW fans, but not necessarily huge. They're much more into marvel. (So is Dad, mom doesn't care at all) 

It will be tempting to split up at universal other than the HP stuff. I'm not sure what the girls would do, but the guys will enjoy Marvel.

Honestly there is not a whole lot of immersive marvel at universal.  They have a specific land but it’s not much more then 3 rides and a gift shop.  And frankly even if you are not a marvel fan, you should 100% be hitting 2 of the 3 rides (aS long as you are old enough and can do big coasters and screen rides). 
 Hulk is prob the best coaster there and one of the best overall.  And Spider-Man is such an original ground breaking, classic screen ride that anyone will enjoy it.  
other then some Gift shops and ok character meets, there is not much else to warrant breaking up the group on.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 3:04 PM, Capella said:

Probably hitting up the Christmas party Thursday night. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Just got back from 2 days at Disneyland Paris.  @AcerFC @Bruce Dickinson

Some random thoughts below. Though this past week was very much offseason for them, and we were there on Thanksgiving and the day after, so weekdays - from what I've read, it's busier on the weekends year round. So we got about the lowest crowds of the year, especially Thursday, Friday was noticeably busier but still very manageable. So the lines we encountered were mostly very low, but we could see some massive queue structures which looked like they could be a nightmare during busier times.  Our comparison points are the CA parks, which we've been to a few times, and Orlando, which we've only been to once, but the most recent, last summer.

We stayed at Sequoia Lodge. They have 3 levels of onsite hotels - Disneyland Hotel, which would be amazing to stay at, as it's literally right at the entrance to DL park, but I couldn't rationalize the price, even during offseason. The next tier down are Sequoia Lodge, Newport Bay, and Hotel New York (currently closed, being re-themed as a Marvel hotel, set to open this summer). Then there's a 3rd tier as well.  But I wouldn't say the tiers are exactly equivalent to the FL resort hotels.  It's hard for me to judge, as I've only stayed at one other Disney resort hotel, Beach Club in FL last summer. (we always stay offsite in Anaheim.)  Sequoia Lodge overall was... fine.  Beach Club was way nicer, so I guess Sequoia Lodge would be more equivalent to a moderate? Lobby theming was nice, rooms were ok. There were 4 of us - me, wife, kids 16 and 13, so had 2 double beds.  "Double" is a different definition in Europe than the US I think, a little bit bigger, but not queen size, so a bit small for us, and hard mattresses. Slept just ok.  Our AirBnB apartment in Paris we stayed at for 5 nights prior to DL was way more comfortable, so we were glad we were only staying 2 nights at DL.

The packages for Paris seem to all include meal plans - we aren't really meal plan people in general, didn't do it on our FL trip, but the way they price it for Paris, it's almost like they're throwing the food in for free, so it makes sense.  A lot of very confusing terminology, "half board" and "full board" and different tiers for each, I won't try to explain it all, but some of the links I'll give below do a decent job, let me know if you need more details.  We had a "half board plus", which means breakfast buffet in the hotel plus lunch OR dinner each day at a selection of resort or hotel restaurants. Definitely book those in advance like you would in FL, 60 days in advance for Paris.  The "plus" part of the package is based on what tier of hotel you're staying at, and it limits to certain restaurants, and sometimes a set meal instead of a la carte, but if you want to eat somewhere higher tier or order anything off the menu, you can - they just give you a credit for the value of your package. So for our plus package, we would get a credit of I think 36 Euros/person per meal, and could eat anywhere or anything. So there's more flexibility then it first seems when you read the materials.

I really wanted to book Walt's, as it seems really interesting and with a lot of Disney history in it, but it was closed for refurb during our trip. So we ate at Captain Jack's and Agrabah Cage. Captain Jack's has a lot in common with Blue Bayou when it comes to theme - dark inside, overlooking Pirates, boats sailing by. Food was pretty solid, enjoyed it quite a bit. Agrabah Cafe is a Mediterranean / Middle Eastern buffet.  Overall pretty good, but you'd better like that style of food, which we do and is why I picked it.  But there's no pasta and french fries section for picky eaters.

Counter service in DL Paris has a reputation for being horrible, so fortunately I wasn't disappointed, because it pretty much was overpriced garbage that you wait in line forever for. Pretty much just cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets, that's about it. Very little variety or anything interesting. Didn't help that over half of the counter service restaurants were closed, probably due to low season, but anything that sounded like it could be halfway interesting was closed, leaving only the pure garbage. So we loaded up at the breakfast buffet, did a quick counter service snack around lunch, then an early sit down dinner at around 4pm.

Breakfast buffet in the hotel was decent. Fortunately I read beforehand to go early, especially if you want to hit extra magic hours - buffet opens at 7, we got there right after opening, and it was relatively chill.  By around 7:45am, it was a (crap)show, huge lines, would have taken forever to get through and would have missed most of early entry. So it was worth hauling ourselves out of bed earlier than we wanted to beat the rush.

Extra magic time was 8:30-9:30, and it was awesome - we did DL one day, Walt Disney Studios the other, and basically had walk-ons of headliners during that time (with the exception of Crush's Coaster, more on that in a minute). Well worth getting there early for, and reason enough to stay onsite.  The official opening for everyone is 10am, but unlike CA and FL, that's a very loose time - in reality, they start letting the masses in at 9:30am.  They have an official opening announcement at 10am, which is kind of a joke because it's already been fully open for half an hour.

DL itself was great - I won't get into every ride, and differences from other parks.  But it's nicely done, appreciated a lot of the little details, had a lot of fun just walking and exploring. Walt Disney Studios is pretty small and sad right now, really just a half day park, I guess like Hollywood Studios was a couple of years ago, but worse. I've read they are doing a massive expansion right now, and you can see a ton of construction out back, but right now there's just not much, so what is there gets crowded fast. The key is Crush's Coaster, as it's popular, and does not take fast passes (more on that in a minute), so the line gets intense really fast.  The morning we want to Studios first, the family was dragging and we got there a little later than I wanted - and it was down at opening. So we did the other rides instead (all 3 of them, basically), waiting out Crush's to open, when  it finally did there was a 35min wait, so not too awful.  It quickly grew to 60.  But we basically just did each ride in Studios once, then get out of there before noon to go back to DL.

Fast passes are like the old school CA style - scan your ticket for a paper return. No app options like Maxpass or anything like that. Another key difference is it's only a 30min return window. And we found that a lot of the returns were pretty quick at times.  So it made it tougher to strategize and stack multiple FPs like you can in CA. A lot of people there seem to have no idea how FPs work or think they cost extra, so they don't use them.  There are a few paid FP packages, including an "ultimate" which is like $160/pp and gets you unlimited FP returns for the whole day for every FP ride.  Absolutely not needed when we were there, but if we were there in the summer, and lines were horrible, and we just had one day, I'd be tempted.  But because it was low season, we did everything we wanted multiple times - Big Thunder and Hyperspace Mountain 5x each, Pirates and Phantom Manor 4x each, etc.  We're also very ride oriented, we do not care about characters or parades.  And character meet and greets are HUGE there, more than in FL or CA was my impression - that's where the real lines are.  There's even a whole app dedicated just to booking character meet and greet times, I think it's called Lineberty?  Not sure, since we weren't interested.

Because it was offseason weekdays, the parks closed early - 6pm for Studios, 7pm for DL park. If it was summer or weekend, the longer lines would have been balanced by longer opening times. Fireworks in DL at closing, 7pm - called Illuminations, it's a combo of castle projections with music, and "fireworks"  I put that in quotes because they aren't the big boomy fireworks we're used to in CA and FL - just little mini ones.  Kind of disappointing.  Not sure why - maybe a regulations or noise issue?  Though it seems they very rarely get cancelled, even though it was pretty windy our first evening. I know in CA in particular, the fireworks get cancelled if someone in the crowd sneezes too hard. 

The whole booking experience was kind of weird - I guess I'm just used to doing everything on the web site, booking and managing our reservations, booking restaurants, etc.  The DL Paris site is very primitive for this.  I did book the trip on the web site.  But then when I wanted to book restaurants, I had to call.  Same with the express luggage service I describe below.  And I had an issue with my reservation that I had to call to clear up.  One trick if you need to call - you can call the main FL phone number for booking, then when it asks what you want, just say "disneyland paris" and it will transfer you so you don't have to make an international call.

Overall, we're really glad we tacked on a couple of days for it at the end of our trip.  We had 5 full days in Paris itself, then 2 at the parks, which was the right balance. I wouldn't travel to Paris just to do Disneyland, but having it as one part of a bigger trip worked out really well.  The morning we checked out of our apartment in Paris and moved over to the parks, we got up early and took the train, with a goal of being there in time for the early morning extra magic time. So we paid extra for the "express luggage service".  The train from the city goes right to a station at DL resort, and there's a desk for this express service in the train station that will take your bags and deliver them to your hotel, and give you your tickets so you can go right into the parks.  Well worth it if you're arriving early, I think it was something like 17 euros per person.

Researching it was harder than CA or especially FL, where there are endless resources to get details for every aspect of your trip.  There just aren't as many good sites for info.  But some of the ones I used in planning, besides just the standard Disney site:

Message boards I found helpful:  TripAdvisor siteThe DIBBDisBoards.  Most are heavily dominated by Brits, so you'll see a lot of advice on trains from the UK and driving there, but there is some helpful info if you wade through.

Disney Tourist Blog, an American who had been to lots of parks, helpful info from the perspective of someone who has other Disney parks experience. Many of the other sites and message boards have comments from people who have only been to Paris and never visited any other parks.  Mouse Hacking also has some good info. DLP Guide should be a helpful site, but I've found it hit or miss. There was a long period where it had old info and wasn't updated, then it got a big update this past summer, and now it seems dormant again for the past couple of months.  But worth checking out for basic info.

If you do Facebook, Disneyland Paris Advice has been helpful to follow.  Like a lot of Facebook groups, you have to wade through a lot of crap.  But I also got many valuable tips I did not find elsewhere. (like when in line for Big Thunder and it splits and you have to choose right or left, always go left! just read that a few days before we left and it saved a bunch of time.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Imagineering story on Disney+ has been a huge success. Now I cant wait for the next reality doc to premiere on Tuesday, One day at Disney looks just as amazing

• Like 1

Great trip last week. First time staying at Poly. Think I prefer Beach Club but it was nice being on the monorail. Christmas Party awesome as always. Nothing beats that moment the snow starts on Main St. 

I think this may have been the best O’Hana I’ve had in the 9 years with the family. The steak and chicken were just perfect, not dry like the last couple of times. They even brought my daughter and I a skewer of rare steak. Delicious. To top it off we had a great corner window table which was perfect for the fireworks. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RBM said:

Great trip last week. First time staying at Poly. Think I prefer Beach Club but it was nice being on the monorail. Christmas Party awesome as always. Nothing beats that moment the snow starts on Main St. 

I think this may have been the best O’Hana I’ve had in the 9 years with the family. The steak and chicken were just perfect, not dry like the last couple of times. They even brought my daughter and I a skewer of rare steak. Delicious. To top it off we had a great corner window table which was perfect for the fireworks. 

I think of the nice resorts those are the two I would want to stay at.  We just love the Poly but the Beach Club location just seems ideal.  I could sneak over to France and get some chocolate ice cream every night!

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, Thunderlips said:

Just back from 5 days in Disneyland/California Adventure.  Disneyworld really needs to step their game up.   World still has Animal Kingdom (no Land comparison at all...although Indiana Jones beats Dinosaur so bad it isn't even funny), The World Showcase (I'm not even counting the front of EPCOT for the next two years and Radiator Springs destroys Test Track...…..Cars Land might be the best Disney "land" around), two awesome Water Parks and the Magic Express.....but I thought just about every comparable item was superior in Anaheim.....particularly in their respective Magic Kingdoms.  I don't think there's a comparable ride that's better in World than Land....even the Tower of Terror v. Guardians. There, I said it.  

I certainly feel like you get way more your moneys worth in Land that World.....as those World wait times and the 60 Day FP really slow your day down.  Just thinking about that 60 Day FP and Fast Passing #### like Philharmagic and  GOofy's Barn Stormer because your E- ticket FP slots are gone makes me more apprehensive about going to World over Land for the next couple of years. 

I can't get over how much more use Land gets out of their space relative to that of  World....and they're even getting a Mickeys Runaway Railroad in 2022.  There's no reason World shouldn't have a plethora of Dark and Kiddie Rides ala Snow White/Pinocchio/Toad/Casey Jr./Storybook/Toon Town and that great Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

I'm also of the opinion that DL > DW overall by far, but one ride that is better at World is Splash Mountain.  The seating on the log is better and the ride is also slightly longer.  

Magic Kingdom for the most part is just an unorganized, inefficient mess compared to Disneyland.   

I've never even been to Disney Land or know anything but the bare basics about Guardians, but I guaran-damn-tee you that Tower of Terror is superior to Guardians in every way that matters.

14 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

I've never even been to Disney Land or know anything but the bare basics about Guardians, but I guaran-damn-tee you that Tower of Terror is superior to Guardians in every way that matters.

Been on both.  Both rule.  Guardians is better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Been on both.  Both rule.  Guardians is better.

Fight me.

;)

1 hour ago, Psychopav said:

You sir are wrong. 

:Wolf:

Guardians rules. 

2 hours ago, Psychopav said:

Towers great.  It just feels a little stale compared to Guardians.

It certainly helps to like the Guadians.  

8 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I think of the nice resorts those are the two I would want to stay at.  We just love the Poly but the Beach Club location just seems ideal.  I could sneak over to France and get some chocolate ice cream every night!

Lol my wife and I said multiple times it was so nice taking a quick trip into France for some mousse or a beignet. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Psychopav said:

nah, Guardians is so much better.  Better in pretty much all aspects.  

• Like 1

Just put a deposit down for a package during the week of 23-June.

I don’t know much more than that at this time , my daughter picked it out and booked it. She used my credit card though of course.

Edited by boilerdave
Disney World Orlando

Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway opens March 4 at Hollywood Studios. Curious to see how it looks. That park has gone from almost nothing a few years ago to having quite a bit now.....

• Like 1

A bunch of stuff got announced yesterday. 

@3 hour lunch yes, MMRR opening date and it is one of the attractions I am most looking forward to

Full rundown: Link

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser will begin “transporting” guests to a galaxy far, far away in 2021!  In this new type of immersive vacation, you’ll become the hero of your own adventure in an experience that surrounds you 24/7 in Star Wars storytelling.

Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure will open summer 2020 in the France pavilion at Epcot and today we shared a new image showing Disney Imagineers at work creating the immersive attraction.

Disney’s DuckTales World Showcase Adventure is coming to Epcot!  You’re invited to join Scrooge McDuck, Donald, Launchpad, Webby and the nephews in search of priceless treasure. Using the Play Disney Parks mobile app, guests take a trip around World Showcase discovering exotic destinations, exciting mysteries, and maybe even a few thieves, villains and supernatural guardians of ancient artifacts. 

Also, three new films will debut Jan. 17, 2020, at Epcot:

“Awesome Planet” in The Land pavilion showcases the Earth’s beauty and diversity

“Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along” in the France pavilion invites guests to participate in a twist on a tale as old as time. It also features narration from Angela Lansbury, who played Mrs. Potts in the original film. The new sing-along will run in rotation with “Impressions de France,” which will receive an upgrade to 4K projection.

“Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360” in the Canada pavilion is an update to the previous “O Canada!” film with new scenes, a new musical score by Canadian composer Andrew Lockington and new narration by award-winning actors Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy.

The art for this looks sick, its the "entrance lift"

Space 220 Restaurant debuts this winter!  Space 220 is a new table-service restaurant at Epcot next to Mission: SPACE. When you enter the restaurant, you’ll step into a special space elevator that will take you 220 miles above the earth’s surface and offer incredible celestial views.

• Like 1

Check out Disney parks blog tonight 6:55PM EST for a live stream of the dedication ceremony for "Rise of the Resistance" ride at Hollywood studios. 

speaking of, here is a brand new video showing a bunch of ride through action. As previously mentioned, it will be like 2 rides where you board a transport vehicle in Galaxy's Edge and then get tractor beamed into an Imperial Star Destroyer where you exit the transport and get on a second vehicle, a trackless car that takes you though an escape attempt through the Star Destroyer. 

• Thanks 1

At HollywoodStudios today. Any recommendations on a quick service dinner?  We’re not on DDP, but not too worried about cost. It’s our only day at this park so we don’t want to leave and come back. 

4 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

Check out Disney parks blog tonight 6:55PM EST for a live stream of the dedication ceremony for "Rise of the Resistance" ride at Hollywood studios. 

speaking of, here is a brand new video showing a bunch of ride through action. As previously mentioned, it will be like 2 rides where you board a transport vehicle in Galaxy's Edge and then get tractor beamed into an Imperial Star Destroyer where you exit the transport and get on a second vehicle, a trackless car that takes you though an escape attempt through the Star Destroyer. 

Ride looks pretty good and seems long given two parts to it.  Though I doubt it will be better than the Pandora ride.  

Edited by Redwes25

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

At HollywoodStudios today. Any recommendations on a quick service dinner?  We’re not on DDP, but not too worried about cost. It’s our only day at this park so we don’t want to leave and come back. 

I don't really know about the Star Wars area but we got some decent food at a place in Toy Story Land - it was like Andy's Lunchbox or something like that.  HS food has been subpar for a while IMO.  There's also a place not too far from ToT and RnR that was ok - had like burgers and chicken tenders I think.

My opinion - just snack around and don't eat an actual meal unless you find a place that sounds good to your group.

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 2

I’ve read the Star Wars area food is disappointing as well. We’re in line to do the smugglers run. We might take off after this as there isn’t much left for the twins’ who just turned three. My wife was interested in the ribs at the commissary but I read the ribs at Tusker House are much better so will wait for those Saturday. 

39 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I’ve read the Star Wars area food is disappointing as well. We’re in line to do the smugglers run. We might take off after this as there isn’t much left for the twins’ who just turned three. My wife was interested in the ribs at the commissary but I read the ribs at Tusker House are much better so will wait for those Saturday. 

The Ronto Wrap is pretty good.  It’s the sausage in the pita bread. 

2 hours ago, Caesar said:

Sci fi diner is an acer family favorite

are you bummed you are there today and not tomorrow or was that calculated

2 hours ago, AcerFC said:

SciFi is table service though, no?

Ok, the last day of our trip is tomorrow and, coincidentally,  it's at Hollywood Studios.  I just found out that the new star wars ride is opening tomorrow and I was wondering if it's even worth going to HS or just going to another park. HS is our least favorite park, and if I can't move and it's shoulder to shoulder I'd just as soon hit up Epcot again.

*EDIT* dinner reservations aren't a problem,  we're going to Ohana.

Edited by Deranged Hermit

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

SciFi is table service though, no?

I missed the quick service part

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Ok, the last day of our trip is tomorrow and, coincidentally,  it's at Hollywood Studios.  I just found out that the new star wars ride is opening tomorrow and I was wondering if it's even worth going to HS or just going to another park. HS is our least favorite park, and if I can't move and it's shoulder to shoulder I'd just as soon hit up Epcot again.

*EDIT* dinner reservations aren't a problem,  we're going to Ohana.

Cmon, suck it up and wait the 5hrs on line for us. You will be the first to report how awesome it is. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

11 hours ago, AcerFC said:

It was calculated.  Crowd expectations are my biggest factor in planning where to go each day.  I just felt like today is going to be crazy there and I wanted to get there before that happened.  We have 7 days total and only one at EPCOT (today) and one at HWS.  We are doing 3 days at MK because of the twins, but there is also enough there for the 17 and 11 year old to go off and do their thing a little bit.  2 days at AK was probably a mistake, but since we missed Avatar the first day, we are going to get there at park open Saturday and if that is the only thing we do Saturday, it will be ok (although we do have Expedition Everest fast passes for the evening).  

One thing I did not count on was them closing Star Wars area at 4PM yesterday so they could do a press conference on the new ride opening.  Luckily, the older kids had done the smugglers run earlier, and I decided about 3:40 that I wanted to do it.  My wife decided to go and the 11 year old did it again.  17 year old was happy to watch the twins take their nap and play on facebook for an hour.  :D  

Its been a good few days so far.  I am just happy to be mobile after I threw my back out Saturday on the first hole golfing with my dad.  Been wearing a back brace, but I'm still amazed I can walk as well as I can.  Sunday I couldn't even stand up straight, and steps were tiny with the chance of my legs giving out.  Truth is, they've been trying to keep up with ME.  Maybe its the magic, or maybe I will pay for this when the trip is over, but it will be worth it.  I actually broke down a little bit with my wife thinking I had ruined the whole vacation.  

Anyway, off the tangent.  Its almost 6AM and EMH start at 7.  I don't think I could convince my family to get out that early, but I am ready to go.  

ETA:  its 44 degrees out right now.  

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 2