What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (8 Viewers)

Early planning stages but couple quick questions

1. How crazy is it during 4th of July timeframe?

2.  Looking to split time between Universal and Disney, and probably a day trip to the beach one day, so planning on renting a car for the week.  How much of a pain is it to park at either place, or am I better off just parking at the hotels and taking a shuttle?

will probably stay at a Disney property, not sure for universal yet, might try to capitalize on some hotel points I have built up 
It's hot as #### down here...just be prepared GB.  Just be aware, if you stay at a disney property, you WILL be charged for parking.  Parking at the hotels is a few bucks cheaper than parking at the parks though.  I'd park the car and use the Disney transportation.

I think I would rather get to the park and wait on a 3 hour line than wake up at 3:30 just to get in the que. 

But that is just me

It's hot as #### down here...just be prepared GB.  Just be aware, if you stay at a disney property, you WILL be charged for parking.  Parking at the hotels is a few bucks cheaper than parking at the parks though.  I'd park the car and use the Disney transportation.
Thanks.  Yeah kicking around other dates still, but flights for winter and spring break are more than I want to spend at the moment

I think I would rather get to the park and wait on a 3 hour line than wake up at 3:30 just to get in the que. 

But that is just me
You don’t understand - there is no line.  There is no “standby”.  

The entire days Que allotment was taken up by 7:10 AM.  It’s effectively “fastpass only” and you can only book it once you are checked into the park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also not sure if there’s a separate thread but can I do universal in 2 days?
Yes, staying on property is the best way to do this. If going in July, I highly recommend staying at one of the locations where the Express Pass is a perk—Hard rock, Portifino, Roayl Pacific. The Express pass is an all day, any ride, any time fast pass and it is amazing. You can blow through the major rides in each park in 1 day easy. We go in July too and it is a must have. 

I have a call stating now so I'll expand on the info when i'm off. 

The entire days Que allotment was taken up by 7:10 AM.  It’s effectively “fastpass only” and you can only book it once you are checked into the park.
I think he means that he would rather wait on a 3 hour line, then have to get up super early to do the virtual queue thing

I do understand

And what I am saying is, I would rather wait on a 3 hour line that have to wake up at 5:30am, get an uber to HS and then pray I get on the que to ride it for that day

Early planning stages but couple quick questions

1. How crazy is it during 4th of July timeframe?

2.  Looking to split time between Universal and Disney, and probably a day trip to the beach one day, so planning on renting a car for the week.  How much of a pain is it to park at either place, or am I better off just parking at the hotels and taking a shuttle?

will probably stay at a Disney property, not sure for universal yet, might try to capitalize on some hotel points I have built up 
We went 2 years ago over July 4, and it really is a pretty nice time to go.  Summer crowds the last few years have not been bad at all, especially if you do your planning and know what you're doing.  We were at Magic Kingdom on July 3, and we were trying to move around during the fireworks, which was completely nuts, and we did Epcot on July 4, which, because of its size, thins the crowds out much better.  Yeah, it's hot, but the hottest trip we ever took was in May, so it's all about the same to me.  

We went 2 years ago over July 4, and it really is a pretty nice time to go.  Summer crowds the last few years have not been bad at all, especially if you do your planning and know what you're doing.  We were at Magic Kingdom on July 3, and we were trying to move around during the fireworks, which was completely nuts, and we did Epcot on July 4, which, because of its size, thins the crowds out much better.  Yeah, it's hot, but the hottest trip we ever took was in May, so it's all about the same to me.  
We went the week after July 4 weekend a few years. Wasn't too bad, but September is our preferred month. Park attendance is as low as it gets and prices are pretty good.

Dan Lambskin said:
Also not sure if there’s a separate thread but can I do universal in 2 days?
sorry, day got away from me. 

We have been bringing UO (Universal Orlando) into our trips. My kids 13 and 9 love the thrill and action type rides now that they are older and tall enough. 

We do roughly 2 full days (usually 2 1/2 with check in and check out times) at UO at the start of our trip. We go all out there and use the Disney part of our trip to relax (as odd as it sounds). As I said before, we only stay at the 3 locations that offer the ExpressPass b/c in the summer, it is worth its weight in gold IMO. If you don't know, the EP acts just like a fast pass where you go on a special, faster line. However the huge difference is that it works for any ride, at any time, w/o needing to book anything before you get there. Walking around and just decide to do a ride, no worries, pop in, flash the card and go.  With that pass we get multiple rides on all our favorites rides in 2 days easy. 

The other big difference is that everything at UO is soo close. Its funny, WDW has the 'blessing of size' but trust me, having everything—literally everything–within walking distance is awesome. It's almost like Disneyland where the 2 main parks are right next to each other. After a few days at UO then going to WDW you'll realize how much of a PIA the WDW distances are. Pretty much anything in the main area is acessable by walkway, boat ride or rickshaw bike (free but you should tip them). Plus if you are in the back of the park and want to hop over (if you have a hopper ticket) just jump on the Hogwarts train and within a few minutes you are in the other park. 

IDK what type of rides your family likes but UO is mainly thrill, coaster and screen based rides. While we love WDW rides, we also really love the rides here. Many are 3d and can cause some motion sickness in some people, but they are pretty cool. Disney def has the theming down, these are different but still really fun. 

I'm not a HP fan, but the lands they created are really immersive and my hands down favorite ride in Orlando (have not experienced Rise of the Resistince yet) is here—HP Forbidden Journey. 

IDK much about the parking or costs if you are a resort guest, but if you have a car, I would def advise staying at UO vs staying at WDW and then doing day trips. Why bounce around, just stay at one and enjoy your time there. 

Let me know if you need any other info.

Universal truly sucks. It’s like somebody decided to make a garbage dump a theme park. 

The rides are fun a few times until you realize they are all exactly the same. The same track. The same theatre setup. The same fake drops. It’s just not great. It feels lazy. 

The walk to the park is never ending. You finally get through the garage and end up in city walk which is some American dystopian hellscape with every chain represented. By the time you get to the park you’re exhausted and then your ticket doesn’t work because their system is from 1995. Anyways, have fun. 

Just to be clear I’m not some Disney homer. It has a billion faults of its own but it’s just shocking how differently maintained universal is. 

Universal truly sucks. It’s like somebody decided to make a garbage dump a theme park. 

The rides are fun a few times until you realize they are all exactly the same. The same track. The same theatre setup. The same fake drops. It’s just not great. It feels lazy. 

The walk to the park is never ending. You finally get through the garage and end up in city walk which is some American dystopian hellscape with every chain represented. By the time you get to the park you’re exhausted and then your ticket doesn’t work because their system is from 1995. Anyways, have fun. 
Were mainly going there because my oldest (11) is a huge Harry Potter nerd.  Other 2 will be 7 and 8.  Maybe I’ll look into just going to the Harry Potter Park 

still in the planning stages and it looks like damn near $600 a day in park tickets for a family of 5 at either place

Were mainly going there because my oldest (11) is a huge Harry Potter nerd.  Other 2 will be 7 and 8.  Maybe I’ll look into just going to the Harry Potter Park 

still in the planning stages and it looks like damn near $600 a day in park tickets for a family of 5 at either place
There isn’t a HP park...there is HP in both parks. UO isn’t stupid, they split it up so you buy the multi park passes.  Plus they actually made transportation between the parks a HP attraction as well...the hogwarts train.  And you need a hopper pass to even ride it bc you are physically checking out of one park and into another.  

@Bruce Dickinson makes a great point about travel time to and from plus the security and parking time. Adds more proof to just stating there.  

AcerFC said:
I do understand

And what I am saying is, I would rather wait on a 3 hour line that have to wake up at 5:30am, get an uber to HS and then pray I get on the que to ride it for that day
I get that - but just wanted to be clear that for this one particular ride you can only get on via the phone app Que.  You can’t show up and wait in line.  There is no “wait on a 3 hour line” option.

There isn’t a HP park...there is HP in both parks. UO isn’t stupid, they split it up so you buy the multi park passes.  Plus they actually made transportation between the parks a HP attraction as well...the hogwarts train.  And you need a hopper pass to even ride it bc you are physically checking out of one park and into another.  

@Bruce Dickinson makes a great point about travel time to and from plus the security and parking time. Adds more proof to just stating there.  
Bastards

Ive got some planning to do still, but main goals are Harry Potter, Star Wars, Epcot and Magic Kingdom over the length of the trip

Also want to mix in some downtime because we went all out cramming 3 parks into 3 days when we went 5 years ago and it was exhausting 

Merry (Late) Christmas dudes. 

If anyone has a trip planned in early 2020, you may now be able to ask "What time is the 3 o'clock parade?" again. 

The Festival of Fantasy parade at the MK is moving back to its normal 3pm time slot on Jan 2. It usually starts at 2 pm for the last few months of the year to accommodate the Halloween and Christmas special ticket parties.

The Epcot upheaval continues with Jan 5th being a day for a lot of changes.

With the Innoventions buildings being either torn down or revamped: 

• Mickey Mouse will greet guests in the queue area of Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival in the Imagination pavilion
• Minnie Mouse will be in the World Showcase Gazebo.
• Daisy will move to Future World East
• Goofy will meet at the Main Entrance near Spaceship Earth.
• Joy will be in the Imagination! pavilion, near Wreck-it Ralph in the ImageWorks area
• Sadness and Baymax will not be available to greet guests

Also Mouse Gear will move to a temporary location in Innoventions East under the same name 

So we left Disney in November saying we definitely want to do it again this year, but now we are wondering if we should consider the cruise which we’ve never done. My wife think the kids will miss the rides but I have a feeling there would be enough on the cruise to keep them happy. Tough decision.  

So we left Disney in November saying we definitely want to do it again this year, but now we are wondering if we should consider the cruise which we’ve never done. My wife think the kids will miss the rides but I have a feeling there would be enough on the cruise to keep them happy. Tough decision.  
More to do for kids on a Disney cruise than I could ever imagine. We went a few weeks ago with my 19 year old nephew and we only saw him at dinner. He was living the dream. 

you couldn't pay me enough to be in the parks yesterday. I love the place, I have no need to ride attractions, but I just could not justify 'just being there' for those hours in that mass of humanity. I most likely would have ended up in jail for assault. 

We were lucky enough to be there this week back in 2000 for our honeymoon, but this as before it got really insane. The parks were crowded, but not like this. 

We spent NYE at a special ticket party at Pleasure Island (yes, PI!). Duran Duran was playing on the main stage and the place was just perfectly sold. I was full enough for it to be an event, but not oversold as many parties are today. 

We toy every once in a while with doing it for Christmas, but my kids are still too young. I won't even think about it until they are 100% self sufficient and at a stage where if we got broken up, it would not be a problem. But thats a long way off. 

Spent yesterday at Hollywood Studios. It was busy but not Magic Kingdom busy. The Star Wars area was by far the busiest. Every ride had at least a 90 min wait. We got there at 8am and the earliest fast pass was available at 6. We did get into the new Rise of the Resistance ride though. That was a great ride!

Heres a new year's gift: Summer Free Dining is back (if you are into that type of thing) 

guests can enjoy a FREE dining plan when purchasing a non-discounted 5-night/6-day vacation package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and a ticket with Park Hopper option. Book through January 16, 2020 for arrivals most nights June 27 through 28, July 5 through 7, and August 29 through September 8, 2020.
Disney Deluxe Villa Resort Hotels (Valid for arrivals most nights 6/27/20 – 6/28/20, 7/5/20 – 7/7/20 and 8/29/20 – 9/8/20)
Receives FREE Disney Dining Plan

Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
Disney’s Beach Club Villas
Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
Disney’s Old Key West Resort
Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
Disney’s Riviera Resort
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

Disney Deluxe Resort Hotels (Valid for arrivals most nights 6/27/20 – 6/28/20, 7/5/20 – 7/7/20 and 8/29/20 – 9/8/20)
Receives FREE Disney Dining Plan

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney’s Beach Club Resort
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Disney’s Yacht Club Resort

Disney Moderate Resort Hotels (Valid for arrivals most nights 6/27/20 – 6/28/20, 7/5/20 – 7/7/20 and 8/29/20 – 9/8/20)
Receives FREE Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan

Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

Disney Value Resort Hotels (Valid for arrivals most nights 6/27/20 – 6/28/20, 7/5/20 – 7/7/20 and 8/29/20 – 9/8/20)
Receives FREE Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – Family Suites only
Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
Disney’s Pop Century Resort

Important Details
• Cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion.
• Advance reservations are required.
• Everyone in the same room must be on the same package.
• Offer excludes the following room types: 3-bedroom villas, campsites, Cabins at Copper Creek villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Bungalows at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, Little Mermaid Standard Rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort.

you couldn't pay me enough to be in the parks yesterday. I love the place, I have no need to ride attractions, but I just could not justify 'just being there' for those hours in that mass of humanity. I most likely would have ended up in jail for assault. 

We were lucky enough to be there this week back in 2000 for our honeymoon, but this as before it got really insane. The parks were crowded, but not like this. 

We spent NYE at a special ticket party at Pleasure Island (yes, PI!). Duran Duran was playing on the main stage and the place was just perfectly sold. I was full enough for it to be an event, but not oversold as many parties are today. 

We toy every once in a while with doing it for Christmas, but my kids are still too young. I won't even think about it until they are 100% self sufficient and at a stage where if we got broken up, it would not be a problem. But thats a long way off. 
Seriously. Those lines are just nuts. Disney is notorious for having crazy holiday crowds. 

My reflex would be to come undone and be out of my mind. My wife and daughter would be full on girl panic. 

The Commish said:
while I hold strong that it isnt true, I also have no reason to believe WDW won't do it either. FPs are a coveted commodity w/o the need to use any any store stock, manpower or cost to the company. With the crowds and (sorry to say) sheep in the parks now, there is no reason for WDW NOT to do it. And the worse part (Tinfoil hat time), WDW can control the need/want/desire for them by controlling and manipulating the wait times as they did a year or so ago when things were still 60+ min ute waits on what were normally 'slow' days. 

I always believed that they would tier the number of FP's based on the level of resort you were staying at, and I was cool with that. 

I'm so glad my kids have outgrown the Disney age. Also glad we visited the few times we did. Had a great time. But they are getting out of control. 

I understand the "as long as people are willing to pay..." concept, but it won't be me paying any more. 

I'm so glad my kids have outgrown the Disney age. Also glad we visited the few times we did. Had a great time. But they are getting out of control. 

I understand the "as long as people are willing to pay..." concept, but it won't be me paying any more. 
I think this is where we are too.  We've talked about going one more time this year but if we don't I won't care.

while I hold strong that it isnt true, I also have no reason to believe WDW won't do it either. FPs are a coveted commodity w/o the need to use any any store stock, manpower or cost to the company. With the crowds and (sorry to say) sheep in the parks now, there is no reason for WDW NOT to do it. And the worse part (Tinfoil hat time), WDW can control the need/want/desire for them by controlling and manipulating the wait times as they did a year or so ago when things were still 60+ min ute waits on what were normally 'slow' days. 

I always believed that they would tier the number of FP's based on the level of resort you were staying at, and I was cool with that. 

I guess we'll see soon enough.  I honestly don't know what they'll do.  There ARE different ways they can go with this, but if they aren't careful they are going to turn a lot of people off.  We are already considering giving up on annual passes.  The notion of "just pick up and go for the day" is fading fast because of the planning required.  It feels like Disney has identified the line and now is playing with how close they can get to it without negative impact to their bottom line.

I think we are going to do a Disneyland trip in the next year but we may be done with Disney world. It is just too crowded even on weeks that were historically slow (week after Thanksgiving). We have friends in LA we have been trying to visit for years and adding Disneyland gives something for the kids. 

I think we are going to do a Disneyland trip in the next year but we may be done with Disney world. It is just too crowded even on weeks that were historically slow (week after Thanksgiving). We have friends in LA we have been trying to visit for years and adding Disneyland gives something for the kids. 
We did Disneyland for the first time last summer and loved it. So much more relaxing and laid back than DW. Don't need to do all of the advanced planning/reservations, both parks and Downtown Disney are all connected to each other, able to walk everywhere and no need to use buses or other forms of transportation. Lots more locals rather than vacationers, just a completely different vibe/atmosphere.

Heading back in April for Star Wars Rival Run weekend. Doing the 10k again, but not going to any parks. This will be my last Disney race. 

We did Disneyland for the first time last summer and loved it. So much more relaxing and laid back than DW. Don't need to do all of the advanced planning/reservations, both parks and Downtown Disney are all connected to each other, able to walk everywhere and no need to use buses or other forms of transportation. Lots more locals rather than vacationers, just a completely different vibe/atmosphere.
We took the family to DL 2 years ago and loved it.  We've toyed with the overall costs of a 4-5  night trip to Cali and a trip to WDW and its honestly less for us to drive to New Orleans (my home airport sucks) catch a Southwest flight to Anaheim spend a few days at the park than it is for us to drive to WDW and stay on site for 6 or 7 nights.  

I know a few things would be missed, but the planning for WDW is exhausting.  And getting around WDW seems like a time waster too.  

OK, So I've read some of this thread (There is a lot) but I am looking to plan a trip for myself, wife and 2 kids (17,12) to both Universal and WDW.  12 year old is very into HP and has never been to either park.  17 year old and myself into SW.  Looking at end of August/early Sept.  I see the free dining is available at WDW and coincides with the dates.

Is this worth it?  Looking at 4-5 days at WDW, 2-3 at universal and I'm really looking at suggestions.  Haven't been to WDW in 13 years.

Appreciate any input on where to stay, what packages to get, specific things we should do, there's just so much.  Thanks.

OK, So I've read some of this thread (There is a lot) but I am looking to plan a trip for myself, wife and 2 kids (17,12) to both Universal and WDW.  12 year old is very into HP and has never been to either park.  17 year old and myself into SW.  Looking at end of August/early Sept.  I see the free dining is available at WDW and coincides with the dates.

Is this worth it?  Looking at 4-5 days at WDW, 2-3 at universal and I'm really looking at suggestions.  Haven't been to WDW in 13 years.

Appreciate any input on where to stay, what packages to get, specific things we should do, there's just so much.  Thanks.
The way I do a mixed Univ/WDW trip is to divide the trip into 2 and stay at both places, it just makes logistics better and you'll get better perks. 

Regardless of which you do 1st is up to you, but if you have not been for a while, I would suggest doing WDW 1st as that is a bit bigger of a property and while you are fresh, knock out the bigger chunk. Plus stay on site at Univ has some good perks so you can really utilize those when you are at the tail end of the trip. 

I'll assume you are flying into Orlando and will not have a car. The big Disney perk here is the free shuttle called Magical Express that takes you from the airport to your WDW resort, and you don't need to grab your luggage, they will ship it to the room a within a few hours (they will send you yellow luggage tags to put on before you leave).  This works both ways (arriving and returning) except that if using ME at the end you just go to the baggage service at each resort and they will tag and transport your luggage from there. That said, if you are splitting between the 2 resorts, you'll only utilize one of these WDW specific services. Likewise, you'll need to arrange transportation to/from Universal from either the airport and to WDW, or vice versa. But Uber is great and only about $40 each trip.

So lets talk resorts. At WDW you have 3 categories: Value, Moderate and Deluxe. 
• Value: These are in the "All-Star" family (All Star Sports, Music, etc) and are your motel style resorts. Mainly Studio rooms with 1 Queen bed and a trundle pull down queen. Rooms open to the outside, and have basic amenities—2 main pools, food court dining, a simple bar. These are also further away from the parks and accommodate more guests, so buses may be fuller, etc. 
• Moderate: Step up resort in terms of theming and amenities. Rooms are larger with regular dual beds and bathroom set ups. Rooms still open outside, but are arranged in clusters of 'houses'. Mods have at least 1 sit down restaurant, a quick service restaurant and a well appointed bar. The pools are more themed and generally appointed with pool side bars and food. These resorts are closer to the resorts but not within walking distance, and they are more spread out so there might be a bit more walking distance between buildings. 
• Deluxe: these are the signature resorts. Highest appointed with multiple restaurants, bars, amenities (like day spas, beaches, marinas, etc). Most of these resorts are within walking distance to at least 1 park or have monorail and/or boat ferry access to a park. 
• Wild Cards: there are a few wild cards: Art of animation resort falls between the value and moderate and are suite styled rooms. Plus they are on the brand new Skyliner line, which makes them a real gem. Also, Caribbean Beach resort is on the Skyliner line was well, giving them a bump in the moderate category. Then you have Animal Kingdom lodge which is a Deluxe resort, however it is not close enough to any theme park to avoid the buses, but it does have amazing animal viewing in the savannas around the resort and from the rooms. 

My recommendation is to spend some time on youtube and look for videos that show the different categories and resorts. You'll get a really good feeling for the different resorts and their amenities.  

Dovetailing into the resorts is the free dining offer you mentioned. Like the resorts, WDW has a few levels of dining package, with a mix of quick serve, sit down and snack credits. With the free dining, the resort category you stay at determines your meal package (see my post above). However, the differences in the packages are really up to how your family likes to eat. Personally, we were really pro-dining plan but have moved away from it because sit down meals do take up a lot of park time. 

As for credits, each package can offers credits for each of the categories
• Quick serve (QS): counter service dining like the burger joints in the parks or the grab and go restaurants in the resorts. Don't be mistaken though, they have evolved far beyond burgers and dogs in these locations and have some really good food options. Each meal is 1 credit and gets you the meal and a drink or alcoholic bev for the adults.
• Table service (TS): These are your full service restaurants where you generally (actually always) need to make reservations. Lots of really great locations and themed restaurants.  90% of them are 1 credit, but some higher end may be 2. The credit gets you the meal (or buffet) and a drink or alcoholic bev for the adults. Yo get your most bang for your buck at buffets here. 
• Snacks: These are your popcorns, bottled drinks, mickey bars, ice cream, churros, etc. But they are also things like bagels and muffins so you can use a snack credit as a quick breakfast option. 
More details here

Now, I will say that the Free dining offer is a huge wienie to get people to book. However, what they don't tell you is that generally the room rate is going to be full price. They usually (very quietly) release a room discount w/o the free dining at the same time, that—if you do the math—may work out to be cheaper/save you more money than doing the free dining. Especially if you want a higher category resort, but not the large dining package that comes with it. 

On the subject of dining, I on't go into it here but if you want any sit down meals, you need to book them at 180 days from check in. This still gives you a month or so, so I'll save that content for later. Disney has some really cool sit down restaurants, and I consider them as much of an attraction as the rides, especially character dining b/c everyone needs to get their character fix on. But it comes at the price of giving up some theme park time, esp if you need to travel to get to the restaurant. So on shorter trips, I usually recommend keeping the dining to a minimum if you can. But here's the hook, if you get the dining plan, you get the credits for each day of our stay, you cant pick and choose days. So if you are there for 4 days, you'll be planning 4 sit down meals or you are kissing credits good bye. Yea, they may be free, bu they may not if you are paying for it in the room rate.  But more on that later. 

At any category, staying on property gives you a few good perks. The magical Express is one, resort guests get into certain parks earlier or stay later than outside guests. But the big one is that you get 60 day booking access to Fast Passes, vs 30 day for off site guests.

WTF are FastPasses (FPs), they are basically ride reservations. Each guest gets 3 per day to start and it gives you the opportunity to book a time to got to a popular attraction and wait in a shorter line. So 60 days before check in, you can go into the system and pick Big thunder at 10am, Space mountain at 12:30 and then Jungle Cruise at 2. You lock that in and on that day, you have an hour window from your booking time to go to the ride and enter the FP line which is generally shorter (prob 10-20 mins, if any) wait, then the people riding standby (the normal line). Once you used your 3 for the day, you can go in and see about a 4th, and then a 5th once you used that. But, and the but.....these are limited by availability. Really popular rides fill up and may even be 'sold out' of FPs by the time you get to do yours, or you may need to be flexible with your reservations, you may not get Big Thunder at 11, but it may be avail at 7pm. Again, you have time for that, so I don't want to muck up this thread with that info. 

Hoping over to Universal Orlando (UO), UO is a much smaller piece of property and everything is much more compressed. They too have different resort categories, and while I don't know a lot about the differences, what I do know is that there are 3 resorts that give you the "Unlimited Express Pass (UEP)" for staying there. This is just like the Fast Passes listed above where you don't wait on line, but on steroids. Whereas WDW gives you 3 per day that need to be booked 2 mos. ahead, UEP is for any ride, any time, anywhere. If you are walking down the path and see a ride, hop in. Can't decide between 2 rides, do them both. We travel in the summer and I will tell you that my family of 4 can knock out 2 theme parks in a day and a half easy, and thats riding everything and most rides multiple times. The resorts that off this as a perk are the Hard rock, Portifino Bay and Royal Pacific. I've stayed at HR and RP and I liked HR just for the overall vibe.

As for the overall resort, UO is divided into 2 parks, Original Universal and Islands of Adventure (they consider their water park a full 3rd gate, but I think thats a stretch). The Harry Potter stuff is in both parks and they were very smart b/c it almost makes you require a park hopper pass (lets you go back and forth between the 2 parks at will). They made a Hogwarts express train that is a fun ride, but it is also acts as a tram between the 2 parks and you physically have to check out of one and into the other if you are going to ride it. 

The 2 park entrances are basically right next to each other. So no need for buses or anything else to go between them. There is a waterway that runs through the resort with boats to ride which are pretty convenient. Also, there is City Walk which is their entertainment and shopping district right across the water from the entrances. You don't need to make any reservations for these restaurants beforehand. 

We can talk specific dining and attractions later as you don't really need to do any major pre-planning for UO. 

Be aware that their Halloween Horror nights start Sept 10 and they close the main park down early for those special ticket parties. It might work in your favor b/c HHN are pretty fun and your kids might enjoy it, but just want to let you know that. Also, WDW does their Halloween parties on select nights starting in august and close the Magic Kingdom down for them. They are not nearly as scary as OU's, but at least at WDW you have 3 other parks you can visit if you are not attending it. 

My last point is this, if you feel like things are overwhelming, you could consider hiring a Disney Travel agent. They will book everything you need—resorts, tickets, dining, etc, give you direct advice and really hold your hand, and the best part is there is absolutely no cost to you. Disney and OU pay them their commission, so there is nothing you need to worry about. I can gladly recommend a few for you. @unckeyherb used one of my guys for his 1st trip and had a great experience. 

Please feel free to ask any other questions or if you need more precise info on things, let us know. Lots of good peeps on this thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I do a mixed Univ/WDW trip is to divide the trip into 2 and stay at both places, it just makes logistics better and you'll get better perks. 

Regardless of which you do 1st is up to you, but if you have not been for a while, I would suggest doing WDW 1st as that is a bit bigger of a property and while you are fresh, knock out the bigger chunk. Plus stay on site at Univ has some good perks so you can really utilize those when you are at the tail end of the trip. 

I'll assume you are flying into Orlando and will not have a car. The big Disney perk here is the free shuttle called Magical Express that takes you from the airport to your WDW resort, and you don't need to grab your luggage, they will ship it to the room a within a few hours (they will send you yellow luggage tags to put on before you leave).  This works both ways (arriving and returning) except that if using ME at the end you just go to the baggage service at each resort and they will tag and transport your luggage from there. That said, if you are splitting between the 2 resorts, you'll only utilize one of these WDW specific services.

• Value: These are in the "All-Star" family (All Star Sports, Music, etc) and are your motel style resorts. Mainly Studio rooms with 1 Queen bed and a trundle pull down queen. Rooms open to the outside, and have basic amenities—2 main pools, food court dining, a simple bar. These are also further away from the parks and accommodate more guests, so buses may be fuller, etc. 
• Moderate: Step up resort in terms of theming and amenities. Rooms are larger with regular dual beds and bathroom set ups. Rooms still open outside, but are arranged in clusters of 'houses'. Mads have at least 1 sit down restaurant, a quick service restaurant and a well appointed bar. The pools are more themed and generally appointed with pool side bars and food. These resorts are closer to the resorts but not within walking distance, and they are more spread out so there might be a bit more walking distance between buildings. 
• Deluxe: these are the signature resorts. Highest appointed with multiple restaurants, bars, amenities (like day spas, beaches, marinas, etc). Most of these resorts are within walking distance to at least 1 park or have monorail and/or boat ferry access to a park. 
• Wild Cards: there are a few wild cards: Art of animation resort falls between the value and moderate and are suite styled rooms. Plus they are on the brand new Skyliner line, which makes them a real gem. Also, Caribbean Beach resort is on the Skyliner line was well, giving them a bump in the moderate category. Then you have Animal Kingdom lodge which is a Deluxe resort, however it is not close enough to any theme park to avoid the uses, but it does have amazing animal viewing in the savannas around the resort and from the rooms. 

My recommendation is to spend some time on youtube and look for videos that show the different categories and resorts. You'll get a really good feeling for the different resorts and their amenities.  

Dovetailing into the resorts is the free dining offer you mentioned. Like the resorts, WDW has a few levels of dining package, with a mix of quick serve, sit down and snack credits. With the free dining, the resort category you stay at determines your meal package (see my post above). However, the differences in the packages are really up to how your family likes to eat. Personally, we were really pro-dining plan but have moved away from it because sit down meals do take up a lot of park time. 

• Quick serve (QS): counter service dining like the burger joints in the parks or the grab and go restaurants in the resorts. Don't be mistaken though, they have evolved far beyond burgers and dogs in these locations and have some really good food options. Each meal is 1 credit and gets you the meal and a drink or alcoholic bev for the adults.
• Table service (TS): These are your full service restaurants where you generally (actually always) need to make reservations. Lots of really great locations and themed restaurants.  90% of them are 1 credit, but some higher end may be 2. The credit gets you the meal (or buffet) and a drink or alcoholic bev for the adults. Yo get your most bang for your buck at buffets here. 
• Snacks: These are your popcorns, bottled drinks, mickey bars, ice cream, churros, etc. But they are also things like bagels and muffins so you can use a snack credit as a quick breakfast option. 
More details here

Now, I will say that the Free dining offer is a huge wienie to get people to book. However, what they don't tell you is that generally the room rate is going to be full price. They usually (very quietly) release a room discount w/o the free dining at the same time, that—if you do the math—may work out to be cheaper/save you more money than doing the free dining. Especially if you want a higher category resort, but not the large dining package that comes with it. 

On the subject of dining, I on't go into it here but if you want any sit down meals, you need to book them at 180 days from check in. This still gives you a month or so, so I'll save that content for later. Disney has some really cool sit down restaurants, and I consider them as much of an attraction as the rides, especially character dining b/c everyone needs to get their character fix on. But it comes at the price of giving up some theme park time, esp if you need to travel to get to the restaurant. So on shorter trips, I usually recommend keeping the dining to a minimum if you can. But here's the hook, if you get the dining plan, you get the credits for each day of our stay, you cant pick and choose days. So if you are there for 4 days, you'll be planning 4 sit down meals or you are kissing credits good bye. Yea, they may be free, bu they may not if you are paying for it in the room rate.  But more on that later. 

At any category, staying on property gives you a few good perks. The magical Express is one, resort guests get into certain parks earlier or stay later than outside guests. But the big one is that you get 60 day booking access to Fast Passes, vs 30 day for off site guests.

WTF are FastPasses (FPs), they are basically ride reservations. Each guest gets 3 per day to start and it gives you the opportunity to book a time to got to a popular attraction and wait in a shorter line. So 60 days before check in, you can go into the system and pick Big thunder at 10am, Space mountain at 12:30 and then Jungle Cruise at 2. You lock that in and on that day, you have an hour window from your booking time to go to the ride and enter the FP line which is generally shorter (prob 10-20 mins, if any) wait, then the people riding standby (the normal line). Once you used your 3 for the day, you can go in and see about a 4th, and then a 5th once you used that. But, and the but.....these are limited by availability. Really popular rides fill up and may even be 'sold out' of FPs by the time you get to do yours, or you may need to be flexible with your reservations, you may not get Big Thunder at 11, but it may be avail at 7pm. Again, you have time for that, so I don't want to muck up this thread with that info. 

Hoping over to Universal Orlando (UO), UO is a much smaller piece of property and everything is much more compressed. They too have different resort categories, and while I don't know a lot about the differences, what I do know is that there are 3 resorts that give you the "Unlimited Express Pass (UEP)" for staying there. This is just like the Fast Passes listed above where you don't wait on line, but on steroids. Whereas WDW gives you 3 per day that need to be booked 2 mos. ahead, UEP is for any ride, any time, anywhere. If you are walking down the path and see a ride, hop in. Can't decide between 2 rides, do them both. We travel in the summer and I will tell you that my family of 4 can knock out 2 theme parks in a day and a half easy, and thats riding everything and most rides multiple times. The resorts that off this as a perk are the Hard rock, Portifino Bay and Royal Pacific. I've stayed at HR and RP and I liked HR just for the overall vibe.

As for the overall resort, UO is divided into 2 parks, Original Universal and Islands of Adventure (they consider their water park a full 3rd gate, but I think thats a stretch). The Harry Potter stuff is in both parks and they were very smart b/c it almost makes you require a park hopper pass (lets you go back and forth between the 2 parks at will). They made a Hogwarts express train that is a fun ride, but it is also acts as a tram between the 2 parks and you physically have to check out of one and into the other if you are going to ride it. 

The 2 park entrances are basically right next to each other. So no need for buses or anything else to go between them. There is a waterway that runs through the resort with boats to ride which are pretty convenient. Also, there is City Walk which is their entertainment and shopping district right across the water from the entrances. You don't need to make any reservations for these restaurants beforehand. 

We can talk specific dining and attractions later as you don't really need to do any major pre-planning for UO. 

Be aware that their Halloween Horror nights start Sept 10 and they close the main park down early for those special ticket parties. It might work in your favor b/c HHN are pretty fun and your kids might enjoy it, but just want to let you know that. Also, WDW does their Halloween parties on select nights starting in august and close the Magic Kingdom down for them. They are not nearly as scary as OU's, but at least at WDW you have 3 other parks you can visit if you are not attending it. 

My last point is this, if you feel like things are overwhelming, you could consider hiring a Disney Travel agent. They will book everything you need for you, give you direct advice and really hold your hand, and the best part is there is absolutely no cost to you. Disney pays them their commission, so there is nothing you need to worry about. I can gladly recommend a few for you. @unckeyherb used one of my guys for his 1st trip and had a great experience. 

Please feel free to ask any other questions or if you need more precise info on things, let us know. Lots of good peeps on this thread. 
Thanks!!!  That's a lot to digest.  Let me get through that and see what questions I have.

@glvsav37 how did i get no love for all of these duran duran references? 

After that novel of a reply i know it isnt because you were too busy at work! 
Lol. My apologies.  I completely missed the reply.   Maybe I was just caught up in my ordinary world, or overlooked it because I was hungry like a wolf? Lol

The way I do a mixed Univ/WDW trip is to divide the trip into 2 and stay at both places, it just makes logistics better and you'll get better perks.   I agree

Regardless of which you do 1st is up to you, but if you have not been for a while, I would suggest doing WDW 1st as that is a bit bigger of a property and while you are fresh, knock out the bigger chunk. Plus stay on site at Univ has some good perks so you can really utilize those when you are at the tail end of the trip. I agree, plan on WDW then Univ.

I'll assume you are flying into Orlando and will not have a car. The big Disney perk here is the free shuttle called Magical Express that takes you from the airport to your WDW resort, and you don't need to grab your luggage, they will ship it to the room a within a few hours (they will send you yellow luggage tags to put on before you leave).  This works both ways (arriving and returning) except that if using ME at the end you just go to the baggage service at each resort and they will tag and transport your luggage from there. That said, if you are splitting between the 2 resorts, you'll only utilize one of these WDW specific services. Likewise, you'll need to arrange transportation to/from Universal from either the airport and to WDW, or vice versa. But Uber is great and only about $40 each trip.  Yes, will be flying in/out.  No car, don't see the need staying on property other than getting from WDW to Univ, but you've given some options, thanks.

• Moderate: Step up resort in terms of theming and amenities. Rooms are larger with regular dual beds and bathroom set ups. Rooms still open outside, but are arranged in clusters of 'houses'. Mods have at least 1 sit down restaurant, a quick service restaurant and a well appointed bar. The pools are more themed and generally appointed with pool side bars and food. These resorts are closer to the resorts but not within walking distance, and they are more spread out so there might be a bit more walking distance between buildings. 
• Wild Cards: there are a few wild cards: Art of animation resort falls between the value and moderate and are suite styled rooms. Plus they are on the brand new Skyliner line, which makes them a real gem. Also, Caribbean Beach resort is on the Skyliner line was well, giving them a bump in the moderate category. Then you have Animal Kingdom lodge which is a Deluxe resort, however it is not close enough to any theme park to avoid the buses, but it does have amazing animal viewing in the savannas around the resort and from the rooms. 

My wife always wanted to stay at the Contemporary, but we are reviewing options.  Is this a good place to stay?  It's listed as a Deluxe.

More details here

This is interesting, I looked a few daya ago and didn't see anything, now I see those options as well.  I'm on the fence on this...  

WTF are FastPasses (FPs), they are basically ride reservations. Each guest gets 3 per day to start and it gives you the opportunity to book a time to got to a popular attraction and wait in a shorter line. So 60 days before check in, you can go into the system and pick Big thunder at 10am, Space mountain at 12:30 and then Jungle Cruise at 2. You lock that in and on that day, you have an hour window from your booking time to go to the ride and enter the FP line which is generally shorter (prob 10-20 mins, if any) wait, then the people riding standby (the normal line). Once you used your 3 for the day, you can go in and see about a 4th, and then a 5th once you used that. But, and the but.....these are limited by availability. Really popular rides fill up and may even be 'sold out' of FPs by the time you get to do yours, or you may need to be flexible with your reservations, you may not get Big Thunder at 11, but it may be avail at 7pm. Again, you have time for that, so I don't want to muck up this thread with that info.   More questions to come.

Hoping over to Universal Orlando (UO), UO is a much smaller piece of property and everything is much more compressed. They too have different resort categories, and while I don't know a lot about the differences, what I do know is that there are 3 resorts that give you the "Unlimited Express Pass (UEP)" for staying there. This is just like the Fast Passes listed above where you don't wait on line, but on steroids. Whereas WDW gives you 3 per day that need to be booked 2 mos. ahead, UEP is for any ride, any time, anywhere. If you are walking down the path and see a ride, hop in. Can't decide between 2 rides, do them both. We travel in the summer and I will tell you that my family of 4 can knock out 2 theme parks in a day and a half easy, and thats riding everything and most rides multiple times. The resorts that off this as a perk are the Hard rock, Portifino Bay and Royal Pacific. I've stayed at HR and RP and I liked HR just for the overall vibe.  Thanks for this info, very helpful.

Be aware that their Halloween Horror nights start Sept 10 and they close the main park down early for those special ticket parties. It might work in your favor b/c HHN are pretty fun and your kids might enjoy it, but just want to let you know that. Also, WDW does their Halloween parties on select nights starting in august and close the Magic Kingdom down for them. They are not nearly as scary as OU's, but at least at WDW you have 3 other parks you can visit if you are not attending it.   Thanks for the info, dates are likely 8/29-9/5

My last point is this, if you feel like things are overwhelming, you could consider hiring a Disney Travel agent. They will book everything you need—resorts, tickets, dining, etc, give you direct advice and really hold your hand, and the best part is there is absolutely no cost to you. Disney and OU pay them their commission, so there is nothing you need to worry about. I can gladly recommend a few for you. @unckeyherb used one of my guys for his 1st trip and had a great experience.   This may be an option.  My wife is a former Travel Agent and has some friends that still are.

Some questions so far.

Users who are viewing this thread