What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

Can someone explain to me the process of getting a pass to the new rise of resistance Star Wars ride? Arrive early to the park and immediately upon entrance have your app open and try to grab a boarding pass is what the GF has been told but if there’s more info I’d appreciate it (or whether it’s realistic to think we’ll get on it).

Can someone explain to me the process of getting a pass to the new rise of resistance Star Wars ride? Arrive early to the park and immediately upon entrance have your app open and try to grab a boarding pass is what the GF has been told but if there’s more info I’d appreciate it (or whether it’s realistic to think we’ll get on it).
Yes and No

Lets assume the park opens at 8:00am

Get to the park 45 minutes early so that you are sure to be scanned in by 8. We got there an hour early for a 7:00am opening and were good.

When you are scanned in, you will be eligible to get a boarding pass BUT, the passes do not open until 8:00am. At 8:00am, you AND your girlfriend should already be on the My Disney Experience app and waiting for it to say sign up for boarding pass.

EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON next to you will be doing the same exact thing so make sure you are signed in and there are no hiccups. We turned our wifi off and used the cell signal

If you are lucky enough (and at this points, its pretty much a lottery) to get a Boarding group, it will tell you what number you are. You will not know what time your group will be called but you can keep checking (like I did) or just get a notification from the app telling you when you can go.

If you get a backup boarding group, dont be too bummed. Up until yesterday, all backup groups had been called 4 days in a row. So all is not lost. 

If you are unlucky and dont even get a backup boarding pass, cry and complain to anyone who will listen and cross your fingers that they feel bad for you because you are out of luck on the app 

On the travel insurance piece, what kind of policy did you get?  The stuff that I was reading said that coronavirus generally not covered by standard policies because of an exclusion for epidemics.  Did you get cancel for any reason?
I got the one from Disney. Never bought this before so I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for to make sure it's covered. The link to the policy is below, how do I know if that would be covered?

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/c55728c7-fd0a-ea11-8124-1418776a18cb

When you are scanned in, you will be eligible to get a boarding pass BUT, the passes do not open until 8:00am. At 8:00am, you AND your girlfriend should already be on the My Disney Experience app and waiting for it to say sign up for boarding pass.
What if you have several kids with you? Can I sign up for 4 boarding passes with the Disney app?

What if you have several kids with you? Can I sign up for 4 boarding passes with the Disney app?
When you link your tickets to your My Disney Experience app, it will load everyone in your party. It will give you boarding passes for everyone withh you. 

Dont worry about more than one person trying to do it. If you are both lucky enough, one of your apps will just say you already have a boarding pass. 

Yes and No

Lets assume the park opens at 8:00am

Get to the park 45 minutes early so that you are sure to be scanned in by 8. We got there an hour early for a 7:00am opening and were good.

EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON next to you will be doing the same exact thing so make sure you are signed in and there are no hiccups. We turned our wifi off and used the cell signal

If you are lucky enough (and at this points, its pretty much a lottery) to get a Boarding group, it will tell you what number you are. You will not know what time your group will be called but you can keep checking (like I did) or just get a notification from the app telling you when you can go.

If you get a backup boarding group, dont be too bummed. Up until yesterday, all backup groups had been called 4 days in a row. So all is not lost. 

If you are unlucky and dont even get a backup boarding pass, cry and complain to anyone who will listen and cross your fingers that they feel bad for you because you are out of luck on the app 
So I have to physically be in the park before I can try?

im already kind of planning on missing out on it since we are staying at Universal and will need to Uber over, just not sure I want to get there that damn early

Looks like I can cross that one off my list for July :kicksrock:
Sorry.  Honestly imo this current version was my least favorite. I’m looking forward to seeing what they come out with in the new version. 

epcot has now become the new studios.   For the last few years studios has been a shell of itself and under massive construction. Now it seems within a few short months, the park has exploded and is super popular. 

Sorry.  Honestly imo this current version was my least favorite. I’m looking forward to seeing what they come out with in the new version. 

epcot has now become the new studios.   For the last few years studios has been a shell of itself and under massive construction. Now it seems within a few short months, the park has exploded and is super popular. 
We skipped Epcot when we went 5 years ago, so kind of bummed since I was looking forward to it since I haven’t been when I was a kid

You mean by the amount of rides Epcot has become the new studios?  I always enjoyed Epcot as a break from the busyness of the other parks - and some good food, drinks, and a couple quality rides (Test Track/Spaceship/Flight)

You mean by the amount of rides Epcot has become the new studios?  I always enjoyed Epcot as a break from the busyness of the other parks - and some good food, drinks, and a couple quality rides (Test Track/Spaceship/Flight)
yes, I mean for the most part people go to WDW for the rides. I too enjoy really quiet parts and things to do there, but overall guests are paying and staying for the rides. Epcot has always had amazing character and charm, but discussions aside about if it should be more education focused or not, classic Epcot had a ton more to do than current Epcot. 

It is really highlighted when the brought in tiered FastPasses and you can only pick a Tier1 attraction like TT or Soarin, and then you are left with SSE, Turtle Talk, Living with the land, Mission space or Imagination....thats really it. Unless you have kids, TTalk is useless, and if you have even minor motion sickness the Mission Space is out too. So what are you left with? 

Looking back, classic Epcot had SSE (much better version of it, and I dont just mean narration) Universe of Energy, World of motion, Horizons, (the best version of) Imagination + the imagination lab, Living with the land (this pavilion is one of the few that you could say is better now), Seas with sea base alpha ride and the hydrolators. PLUS you had 2 fully stocked Communicore pavilions (and not with character meet and greets or Starbucks) where you could learn all sorts of futuristic things.  

You could literally give a full day just to future world back then. 

As for World showcase, I always looked at those as almost a second park. The vide was/is always different and you are there to get away from the craziness of attractions (as you mentioned) . 

Currently, people with families were turning away from Epcot b/c ride-for-ride there just wasn't enough to even justify the trek over, let along spend a full day/non-hopper ticket on. So that caused a ripple effect where the other parks are having to absorb that capacity, and one reason we have the wait times and crowds we see now. 

Me personally, while i'm not 100% on board with all the Epcot improvements, I knew something HAD to be done. If you read back through my recommendations for the last few years (don't its not worth it lol), I was very down on Studios b/c there was just as little to do there even though its one of my fav parks. Today, I cant recommend studios enough, it has gone from bust to boom in a very short time, and we still have 1 more attraction left to open next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iger just announced that he is retiring. Was going to happen sometime soon but this is a surprise. 
Saw a lot of twitter and reddit posts about this last night.  Seems like the consensus is this is good because everything Iger did was to maximize profit without really considering the fan experience.   Prices are at all time highs, you pay to park at the hotels and now you have to stand outside the park an hour before it opens for just a chance to ride the main attraction now.  Seems crazy!

I don't know much about the inner workings of these places so I don't really know, but I tend to agree with most of these statements.  

Not like the new guy is going to come in and say screw profits!  We want the average family of 4 to ride 12 rides a day and wait no longer than 25 minutes on average and be able to walk up to any sit down restaurant and be served a reasonably priced buffet.

This coronavirus and possible stock market correction might have a major impact on Disney.    

Space ship earth will be closing on May 26th for a 2 year long refurbishment.  We knew this was coming as part of the overall Epcot reimagining but now we officially have a date 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/02/the-reimagining-of-spaceship-earth-at-epcot-begins-may-26/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q2wo0220200226200008F
One of my favorites, even if I agree the latest iteration wasn't as good.  Never tire of riding it, though.  Was hoping if would be less than a two year revamp, since we're planning on going next year.  But at least we should have most of the other stuff in Epcot updated by then, and the new Guardians ride and the Ratatouille thing.  

Jungle Cruise Boat sinks.  

This is probably the only ride we didn't do that I would've liked to.  Although, I'm not sure I would've wanted to recreate the Titanic on my ride. 

TheIronSheik said:
Jungle Cruise Boat sinks.  

This is probably the only ride we didn't do that I would've liked to.  Although, I'm not sure I would've wanted to recreate the Titanic on my ride. 
Crazy. Was trying to think of the wise ### cracks the captain used as the boat totally sunk.

glvsav37 said:
yes, I mean for the most part people go to WDW for the rides. I too enjoy really quiet parts and things to do there, but overall guests are paying and staying for the rides. Epcot has always had amazing character and charm, but discussions aside about if it should be more education focused or not, classic Epcot had a ton more to do than current Epcot. 

It is really highlighted when the brought in tiered FastPasses and you can only pick a Tier1 attraction like TT or Soarin, and then you are left with SSE, Turtle Talk, Living with the land, Mission space or Imagination....thats really it. Unless you have kids, TTalk is useless, and if you have even minor motion sickness the Mission Space is out too. So what are you left with? 

Looking back, classic Epcot had SSE (much better version of it, and I dont just mean narration) Universe of Energy, World of motion, Horizons, (the best version of) Imagination + the imagination lab, Living with the land (this pavilion is one of the few that you could say is better now), Seas with sea base alpha ride and the hydrolators. PLUS you had 2 fully stocked Communicore pavilions (and not with character meet and greets or Starbucks) where you could learn all sorts of futuristic things.  

You could literally give a full day just to future world back then. 

As for World showcase, I always looked at those as almost a second park. The vide was/is always different and you are there to get away from the craziness of attractions (as you mentioned) . 

Currently, people with families were turning away from Epcot b/c ride-for-ride there just wasn't enough to even justify the trek over, let along spend a full day/non-hopper ticket on. So that caused a ripple effect where the other parks are having to absorb that capacity, and one reason we have the wait times and crowds we see now. 

Me personally, while i'm not 100% on board with all the Epcot improvements, I knew something HAD to be done. If you read back through my recommendations for the last few years (don't its not worth it lol), I was very down on Studios b/c there was just as little to do there even though its one of my fav parks. Today, I cant recommend studios enough, it has gone from bust to boom in a very short time, and we still have 1 more attraction left to open next week.
Do they still have Captain EO?

Do I still need to get there early and make a beeline for the signup place?
I have not done it in awhile, but yes, I would. Studios is attracting a lot of people now anyway b/c of the SWLand, so I would assume some of them will be going to the Jedi Academy too. 

$601 is my cost for 5 tickets to the "Not so Scary" Halloween Party.  Its actually on my b-day when we'll be there.  Might have to pull the trigger. 

Gotta nail down these costumes though.  

I woulda paid money to be on the jungle cruise that took on water. 
Took on water? Did you see the pictures? Lucky those people made it out alive.

LOL at the #### that people post and the stories that make news. I’ve stepped in bigger puddles getting out of my car. Effing pansy world we live in now. I’m sure someone will sue because of the mental distress it causes one of their helicopter kids.

Took on water? Did you see the pictures? Lucky those people made it out alive.

LOL at the #### that people post and the stories that make news. I’ve stepped in bigger puddles getting out of my car. Effing pansy world we live in now. I’m sure someone will sue because of the mental distress it causes one of their helicopter kids.
Oh, I'd have gotten a free room for a week or at least some free food out of it.  

lol. yes, and sorry for that. I tend to write novels but its because Disney vacations can get complicated, and I feel bad when people who are not ready for the amount of options there are disappointed afterward  b/c they were not prepared. 

Its amazing though the difference when you go through all this and then hop over to Universal, it will be like night and day. 

anyway, back on topic: So thats the big FU from WDW to its guests. You need to book your dining at 180 days but can't do any actual real park related planning (fastpasses) until 60 days out (not 120 as you mention). And as we mentioned, you kind of want to eat where you will be, but that leaves a lot of time in between for things to change—park hours, special events, etc. 

I would not stress over every part of your schedule just yet, but I would block out days for your theme park itinerary. Say "monday and Wed is MK, Tuesday is Epcot, etc." Then you can block in your sit down meals around that based on proximity, time of day, breakfast or lunch, etc. 

If you are liking the ones listed, here are some tips

• Ohana: this is best for dinner, so plan on being around the magic Kingdom (MK) as you are right there. Plus it is on your monorial line, so you can easily go back to the room, freshen up and go to dinner. If you have park hopper tickets, you could do another park, like animal kingdom in the am,  go back to resort, then to dinner and finish the night off at MK. 

• Akershus: I like the breakfast here, so def plan this on your Epcot day, esp considering it is in the back of the park. Eat and then go enjoy the park
• Space220: Same as above, it's in Epcot. Now that begs the question, how many days were you planning on being in Epcot? Right now Epcot is not the best park b/c it will be under heavy construction. 
• Whispering Canyon: Given your resort location, this is another good choice. Both meals are good, but dinner is more on the fun side and what this restaurant is known for. You can go to the MK easily from here or take a bus from that resort to any other theme park. 
• Chef Mickeys: This is literally inside your resort. So you can go anywhere from here. 

I like to plan with a spreadsheet that we add to as we make plans. I block out the days and where we intend on being at any given time. I break each day up into morning, afternoon, and nighttime. I list out the restaurants we want to visit, then slot them in as we make the reservations. Slotting them into the right part of their day helps when I make the fastpasses b/c I will make sure I leave room around that reservation. 

Here is one of mine as an example. I tend to get overly detailed (but no nearly as others), but I find it really helps me stay organized day by day. 
OK, Restaurant booking began today.

I have Akershsu, Whispering Canyon, Ohana and Chef Mickey all booked.  Space 220 says opening in Winter of 2020, so that may be a no go.  I need another recommendation.  Likely a Dinner as I have not booked anything the day we arrive.  Probably somehting not in Epcot as we already have one meal there

OK, Restaurant booking began today.

I have Akershsu, Whispering Canyon, Ohana and Chef Mickey all booked.  Space 220 says opening in Winter of 2020, so that may be a no go.  I need another recommendation.  Likely a Dinner as I have not booked anything the day we arrive.  Probably somehting not in Epcot as we already have one meal there
Im assuming you have a park hopper. Here are some suggestions for places we like 

Cape May- in the beach club resort and is a buffet with seafood

Yak and Yettis- Asian food in Animal Kingdom

Beaches and Cream- Also in the Beach Club resort

Sci Fi Diner- Hollywood Studios

I know you said no Epcot, but here are some good places in Epcot. La Hacienda in Mexico, LeCelier in Canada, Via Napoli in Italy, Coral Reef

Im assuming you have a park hopper. Here are some suggestions for places we like 

Cape May- in the beach club resort and is a buffet with seafood

Yak and Yettis- Asian food in Animal Kingdom

Beaches and Cream- Also in the Beach Club resort

Sci Fi Diner- Hollywood Studios

I know you said no Epcot, but here are some good places in Epcot. La Hacienda in Mexico, LeCelier in Canada, Via Napoli in Italy, Coral Reef
Yes, Park Hopper,  Booked Yak and Yeti for now.  once 60 days get here I can fill in the fast passes and then figure out the best place to quick dining/snacks throughout the days.

OK, here's what I have so far.

Arrive 8/29 probably around Noon, hopefully a little earlier.

8/29 - Dinner at Yak and Yeti- 7:15PM.  Need to schedule Fast Passes for AK for 8/29

8/30 - Breakfast at Akershus 8:20AM.  Need to schedule Fast Passes for Epcot

9/1 - Dinner at Whispering Canyon 6:05PM.  Depending on if Rise to Resistance is not on a FP yet, may have to arrive early to try and get in a group (MK or HS day for FP)

9/2 - Dinner at Ohana 8:15PM.  Depending on if Rise to Resistance is not on a FP yet, may have to arrive early to try and get in a group (MK or HS Day for FP)

9/3 - Breakfast at Chef Mickeys 8:40AM.  Not sure yet what we will do.  Depends the previous days.  Would like to have FP booked though.

9/4- Checkout DW Checkin Universal , staying at LOEWS ROYAL PACIFIC RESORT, includes Unlimited Express Pass (Will have more questions on Universal Later)

9/5 - Universal

9/6 - Checkout 

Not that I have the Table Service booked, looking for recommendations for Quick Service dining and Snacks that a good options or must try's at each of the parks so I have an idea what we may do.  I don't need reservations for any other dining right? 

OK, here's what I have so far.

Arrive 8/29 probably around Noon, hopefully a little earlier.

8/29 - Dinner at Yak and Yeti- 7:15PM.  Need to schedule Fast Passes for AK for 8/29

8/30 - Breakfast at Akershus 8:20AM.  Need to schedule Fast Passes for Epcot

9/1 - Dinner at Whispering Canyon 6:05PM.  Depending on if Rise to Resistance is not on a FP yet, may have to arrive early to try and get in a group (MK or HS day for FP)

9/2 - Dinner at Ohana 8:15PM.  Depending on if Rise to Resistance is not on a FP yet, may have to arrive early to try and get in a group (MK or HS Day for FP)

9/3 - Breakfast at Chef Mickeys 8:40AM.  Not sure yet what we will do.  Depends the previous days.  Would like to have FP booked though.

9/4- Checkout DW Checkin Universal , staying at LOEWS ROYAL PACIFIC RESORT, includes Unlimited Express Pass (Will have more questions on Universal Later)

9/5 - Universal

9/6 - Checkout 

Not that I have the Table Service booked, looking for recommendations for Quick Service dining and Snacks that a good options or must try's at each of the parks so I have an idea what we may do.  I don't need reservations for any other dining right? 
My favorite QS meal in any park is Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom.  Soooooooo good

I would make this a MK day. For starters, you are within walking distance to the MK entrance or you can grab the monorail right inside this resort. I would Uber or Taxi over to the Contemporary from your resort to get there.

Then this is pretty much your last day at WDW. MK gives you the best possible send off—nostalgia, size of the park, variety of rides, and top it all off with ice cream from the Main Street IceCream Parlor and enjoying the night's performance of Happily Ever After fireworks 

Lots of variables here, but this is my list. 

MK Quick Service:
Pecos Bills/Frontierland: I may be biased b/c I use to work here, but we love PB's esp since the menu change over. Its now very TexMex style and the Fajita platter gives you a ton of food. Add in the free toppings at the fixin's bar and you'll need 2 plates. I just wish they would bring back their secret menu nachos

Casey's Corner: Guilty pleasure, but I like hot dogs, and at Casey's there are huge. If you like unique, they are often making a monthly special dog with crazy toppings

MK Snack:
Dole Whip or Dole Whip Float/Aloha Isle: A MK staple snack. Delish
Cheeseburger Spring Rolls/Snack Cart in Adventureland: A bit greasy bu so good, just not on a super hot day
Turkey Leg/Snack Cart Frontierland: I think they are gross, but many people love them. 
LeFou's Brew/Back side of Fantasyland: A nice cold, unique drink when its hot out. Kind of like frozen cider with a foamy top. 
Friar's Nook/Fantasyland: Buffalo Chicken Loaded tots...say no more

Epcot: Quick Service:

Sunshine Seasons/The Land Pavilion: Best part of this location is the variety. There are 4 or so bays with different menus, many of them on the natural healthy (for QS) side. My daughter loves the Mongolian Beef here so much that I found the recipe and make it at home.  

Yorkshire Fish and Chips Window/UK Pavilion: Love some classic UK batter fried fish and thick chips/fries with vinegar, and of course a pint. 

Regal Eagle Smokehouse/USA: this is brand new. I have not eaten here yet, but the early reviews are really good. 

Epcot Snack: Food and Wine festival will be going on while you are there, so the food will be plentiful and delicious. You can snack all day here on just the specialty pavilions they will have. 

Studios QS: (not many good options here IMO)

Woody's lunchbox/Toy Story Land: Some fun "lunch box" type foods like grilled cheese and such. The 'Tachos' are the best snack here hands down.
Ronto Roasters/Galaxy's Edge: The main food here, the Ronto wrap is surprisingly good. 

Snacks: (Again, not much to get excited about) 

Woody's Lunchbox/Toy Story Land: As mentioned, the Tachos are awesome, but there have 2 big pop-tart kind of pastries which are really good. 
Neighborhood Bakery/Pixar Place: The only reason for the mention is the Cookie Num Num

Animal Kingdom Quick Serv.:

Flame Tree BBQ/Discovery Island: Delish BBQ, lines get long at peak lunch times

Satu'lli Canteen/Pandora: Really unique mix of protein bowls. The cheeseburger steam pods are considered a kids meal, but are a unique bao-bun meal. 

Yak and Yeti Window/Asia: You already have a reservation for the main restaurant, but posting for those who may be browsing. Y&Y Has a walk up window with a few of the sit down dishes available.

Snacks

Pongu Lumpia/Pandora: Pineapple cream cheese spring roll 
Buffalo Chicken Chips/Dinoland: Do you see a theme? Great buffalo chicken, warm cheese and nice strong chips to scoop and eat it all with. 
Teriyaki Beef Sliders/Caravan Road Asia: Good and quick—eat it with one hand

Hope that helps 

I would make this a MK day. For starters, you are within walking distance to the MK entrance or you can grab the monorail right inside this resort. I would Uber or Taxi over to the Contemporary from your resort to get there.

Then this is pretty much your last day at WDW. MK gives you the best possible send off—nostalgia, size of the park, variety of rides, and top it all off with ice cream from the Main Street IceCream Parlor and enjoying the night's performance of Happily Ever After fireworks 

Lots of variables here, but this is my list. 

MK Quick Service:
Pecos Bills/Frontierland: I may be biased b/c I use to work here, but we love PB's esp since the menu change over. Its now very TexMex style and the Fajita platter gives you a ton of food. Add in the free toppings at the fixin's bar and you'll need 2 plates. I just wish they would bring back their secret menu nachos

Casey's Corner: Guilty pleasure, but I like hot dogs, and at Casey's there are huge. If you like unique, they are often making a monthly special dog with crazy toppings

MK Snack:
Dole Whip or Dole Whip Float/Aloha Isle: A MK staple snack. Delish
Cheeseburger Spring Rolls/Snack Cart in Adventureland: A bit greasy bu so good, just not on a super hot day
Turkey Leg/Snack Cart Frontierland: I think they are gross, but many people love them. 
LeFou's Brew/Back side of Fantasyland: A nice cold, unique drink when its hot out. Kind of like frozen cider with a foamy top. 
Friar's Nook/Fantasyland: Buffalo Chicken Loaded tots...say no more

Epcot: Quick Service:

Sunshine Seasons/The Land Pavilion: Best part of this location is the variety. There are 4 or so bays with different menus, many of them on the natural healthy (for QS) side. My daughter loves the Mongolian Beef here so much that I found the recipe and make it at home.  

Yorkshire Fish and Chips Window/UK Pavilion: Love some classic UK batter fried fish and thick chips/fries with vinegar, and of course a pint. 

Regal Eagle Smokehouse/USA: this is brand new. I have not eaten here yet, but the early reviews are really good. 

Epcot Snack: Food and Wine festival will be going on while you are there, so the food will be plentiful and delicious. You can snack all day here on just the specialty pavilions they will have. 

Studios QS: (not many good options here IMO)

Woody's lunchbox/Toy Story Land: Some fun "lunch box" type foods like grilled cheese and such. The 'Tachos' are the best snack here hands down.
Ronto Roasters/Galaxy's Edge: The main food here, the Ronto wrap is surprisingly good. 

Snacks: (Again, not much to get excited about) 

Woody's Lunchbox/Toy Story Land: As mentioned, the Tachos are awesome, but there have 2 big pop-tart kind of pastries which are really good. 
Neighborhood Bakery/Pixar Place: The only reason for the mention is the Cookie Num Num

Animal Kingdom Quick Serv.:

Flame Tree BBQ/Discovery Island: Delish BBQ, lines get long at peak lunch times

Satu'lli Canteen/Pandora: Really unique mix of protein bowls. The cheeseburger steam pods are considered a kids meal, but are a unique bao-bun meal. 

Yak and Yeti Window/Asia: You already have a reservation for the main restaurant, but posting for those who may be browsing. Y&Y Has a walk up window with a few of the sit down dishes available.

Snacks

Pongu Lumpia/Pandora: Pineapple cream cheese spring roll 
Buffalo Chicken Chips/Dinoland: Do you see a theme? Great buffalo chicken, warm cheese and nice strong chips to scoop and eat it all with. 
Teriyaki Beef Sliders/Caravan Road Asia: Good and quick—eat it with one hand

Hope that helps 
I think you forgot (Lots of people in the thread) but we are staying at the Contemporary.  I agree with your thoughts, I think the last Day will be a MK day.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'll add them to my spreadsheet and talk with the family on options.  This is just what I was looking for.

Couple of quick dining questions as I plan:

1) At Hollywood, I’m between going with Sci-Fi Dine In for the fun atmosphere versus booking the Fantasmic package at Hollywood and Vine to get the passes for the preferred seating for Fantasmic. Would the tickets for seating for Fantasmic be worth the lesser dining experience?

2) Anyone been to Joki? It sounds amazing. I’m just debating whether it’s worth it coming from Pop Century to go there and then to AK for the rest of the night versus just doing Yak and Yeti in AK.

Couple of quick dining questions as I plan:

1) At Hollywood, I’m between going with Sci-Fi Dine In for the fun atmosphere versus booking the Fantasmic package at Hollywood and Vine to get the passes for the preferred seating for Fantasmic. Would the tickets for seating for Fantasmic be worth the lesser dining experience?

2) Anyone been to Joki? It sounds amazing. I’m just debating whether it’s worth it coming from Pop Century to go there and then to AK for the rest of the night versus just doing Yak and Yeti in AK.
1. Its a tough call, but I would lean toward keeping the fantastic package. Now I love Sci-Fi for exactly the same reason you mention, its a damn cool place. I also really like H&V, so the meal itself is a push. You'll give up the real uniqueness of Sci-Fi, but you will still get characters and interactions at H&V. I think the differentiator for me is the location of the dining package seats. In a 1/2 round theater, the dining package guests get the direct center section. While looking at that image linked, 2/3 of the theater is either dining package or FP. I never recommend using a Studios FP on Fantasmic (and I love Fantasmic), so it kind of forces your hand. You can get to the theater early and try and get a good standby position, relax, grab some ice cream and just hang out, you'll get a pretty good seat. 

Now thats not to say with the dining package you can get there late either, that theater is huge but it fills quickly and they dont really enforce against people spreading out on the benches. You could find yourself with a not so great seat if you arrive close to showtime even if you have the package. 

2. I've never eaten at Jiko, but I have stayed at AKL. AKL is really an amazing resort, its beautiful and the Savannah aspect is so unique. Its a shame more people don't get a chance to see it. I have not really heard anything bad about Jiko, so no reason not to go on the food alone. But it is still a bit tough to get to, even if you plan to be in AK. Plus you need to weigh your time as AK usually closes early. My thought would to plan a later dinner and hit AKL after AK, then plan on staying around the resort afterward and soak it all up. If you time it right, there are guides with military grade night vision goggles to lend you to view the animals which is super cool. Or go for a mid-day lunch to break up the park day, but you will still need to get on a resort bus and drive over.  

I will add that my fav restaurant is Sanaa, but that is next door in Kadini (Jambo is the main resort, Kadani is the DVC building) so you dont get the same experience of the main lobby, but you could always walk over afterwards. You do get really cool savannah views there though and the Bread Service is worth the trip alone. Regardless, Y&Y is a great meal, but its not Jiko. If you are interested in ethnic cuisine, all the AKL restaurants are great. But its up to you to decide how much time you want to take away from the parks. 

Mickey and Minnies Run away Railroad officially opened today

looks fun and a big change from the great movie ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OETOqLBBeuA

D23.com is hosing a special streaming event now https://d23.com/d23-live/
My kids are the right age for this. Do we know if this will be a huge attraction this month?  I need to make some choices on fast passes. Too young to care about SW, but between this, toy story mania, Slinky Dog ride, Hollywood is still getting tricky to prioritize. 

Users who are viewing this thread