Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
DOVCommish

Disney Vacation

10 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I booked four nights at the Grand Californian hotel with four day park passes (hopper & MP) for $4,200. Also got the insurance in case of coronavirus lol. Going to splurge since it's our daughters first trip so I also did the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique with the Princess Breakfast right after. 

We're not much for fancy eating (especially with a 7 year old) so that's the only dining reservation I'm making other than Oga's Cantina. Anything else anyone would suggest for a splurge trip?

Disneyland does not have all the options that Disneyworld has in terms of dining. I will tell you that Ogas is a snack place at best. Do not plan to make a meal out of it. 

We did enjoy eating at The Blue Bayou. It is located in Pirates of Caribbean ride and if you get a seat by the ride, you can wave to the riders. my kids like stuff like that. You can ask to wait for those seats. 

Downtown Disney has a bunch of places if you want to leave. I cant remember what we did for dinner at California Adventure. If I think about it, Ill let you know. But definitely plan to get a Jac Jac cookie num num. I can still taste it. Great cookie 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Disneyland does not have all the options that Disneyworld has in terms of dining. I will tell you that Ogas is a snack place at best. Do not plan to make a meal out of it. 

We did enjoy eating at The Blue Bayou. It is located in Pirates of Caribbean ride and if you get a seat by the ride, you can wave to the riders. my kids like stuff like that. You can ask to wait for those seats. 

Downtown Disney has a bunch of places if you want to leave. I cant remember what we did for dinner at California Adventure. If I think about it, Ill let you know. But definitely plan to get a Jac Jac cookie num num. I can still taste it. Great cookie 

Thanks for the tips!

20 hours ago, CR69 said:

I booked four nights at the Grand Californian hotel with four day park passes (hopper & MP) for $4,200. Also got the insurance in case of coronavirus lol. Going to splurge since it's our daughters first trip so I also did the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique with the Princess Breakfast right after. 

We're not much for fancy eating (especially with a 7 year old) so that's the only dining reservation I'm making other than Oga's Cantina. Anything else anyone would suggest for a splurge trip?

I have no advice to offer, but my wife and I just booked four nights (with three day park) at the Grand Californian as well (with park hopper). Going in early May.  My son is a big Cars fan, so we're looking forward to checking out "Cars Land" there.  So, I'll be following along to the responses too.

We're starting off with three nights in Los Angeles.  I've never been.  I may start a thread on that one, as I don't see a good LA travel thread, but I'm open to thoughts from anybody on what we should include in itinerary there.

a bit late of an announcement, but it was reported last week that Cinderella's castle in MK will be getting a makeover. 

The castle will get a new pinkish paint job up on the secondary stories, and adding gold accenting to the edges and towers. 

Here is a side by side showing the current and new look

Work is expected to extend though the summer, so be prepared for that perfect castle shot to be a little less magical. although they are claiming that there will not be mush visual disruption besides some cranes unlike in Disneyland where the castle was scrimmed for a long while.

They do not expect any disruption to the fireworks and castle shows.

19 hours ago, CR69 said:

Thanks for the tips!

I just remembered that The Grand Californian has a character breakfast. Might be fun and a great way to get pics while waiting in zero lines

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 8:08 AM, GroveDiesel said:

This is exactly what Disney is counting on IMO. You can bet that Disney is going to price the plan as if you are paying for 2 TS meals a day in the hopes that people will use some of them as QS and Disney will come out way ahead.

IDK....still seems odd. People are already leaving the DDP b/c the price may not make sense for you. I cant see how offering QS meals at TS prices (when you break it down pp) is a win? Unless they are going the other way and making the TS meals cheaper, or maybe reducing your selection down to a handful of selections and not the whole menu? I dig the flexibility option, but lets not forget, people book dining 180 days out....long gone are the days where you would be sitting in Epcot going, "hmmmm where do we want to eat today?" People pretty much have their meals set before they get there, so giving me the choice between a QS or TS is not really a choice we are making day-of. IDK, we will see. 

12 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I just remembered that The Grand Californian has a character breakfast. Might be fun and a great way to get pics while waiting in zero lines

I did make that reservation already. Hefty price tag but I figure the memories are worth it, right? 

24 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I have no advice to offer, but my wife and I just booked four nights (with three day park) at the Grand Californian as well (with park hopper). Going in early May.  My son is a big Cars fan, so we're looking forward to checking out "Cars Land" there.  So, I'll be following along to the responses too.

We're starting off with three nights in Los Angeles.  I've never been.  I may start a thread on that one, as I don't see a good LA travel thread, but I'm open to thoughts from anybody on what we should include in itinerary there.

I just got back from a work trip to Disneyland and Cars Land was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect it to be so well done, it was impressive. Make sure you get a fast pass early for the Radiator Springs ride, that line can get over two hours on busy days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I just got back from a work trip to Disneyland and Cars Land was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect it to be so well done, it was impressive. Make sure you get a fast pass early for the Radiator Springs ride, that line can get over two hours on busy days. 

That ride is one that we are trying to figure out.  The minimum height for it is 40". My son is currently 38". Hoping for a little bit of a growth spurt, or maybe we buy him some disco platform shoes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I did make that reservation already. Hefty price tag but I figure the memories are worth it, right? 

Yes. They are great

One thing I will say. Dont feel like you need to be rushed. Like you said, you pay A LOT. If you want Mickey to take pics with everyone, do it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

That ride is one that we are trying to figure out.  The minimum height for it is 40". My son is currently 38". Hoping for a little bit of a growth spurt, or maybe we buy him some disco platform shoes.

tissue paper in the shoes works wonders

45 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

My wife and I just did this type of trip (LA and Disneyland) last year. A couple of suggestions off the top of my head for LA are the La Brea tar pits and the Griffith Observatory. Could also go to the beach at Santa Monica if warm enough. If I think of others I'll post them.

• Like 1

Just now, roarlions said:

My wife and I just did this type of trip (LA and Disneyland) last year. A couple of suggestions off the top of my head for LA are the La Brea tar pits and the Griffith Observatory. Could also go to the beach at Santa Monica if warm enough. If I think of others I'll post them.

La Brea Tar pits are great. 

Learned that there was no saber tooth tiger there. Should be called a Saber tooth cat.

We went to a museum in LA that had the Cheers bar set and Star Trek command set. That was fun also 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AcerFC said:

Learned that there was no saber tooth tiger there. Should be called a Saber tooth cat.

We went to a museum in LA that had the Cheers bar set and Star Trek command set. That was fun also 

Do you remember the name of that museum? Would love to see both of those sets next time we are out there.

1 minute ago, AcerFC said:

Do you remember which museum? Don’t think we’ll get to a studio tour because my son is too young for minimum age requirements, but that could be something Hollywood related.

4 minutes ago, roarlions said:

La Brea and Griffith were both on my preliminary list. Hope to hit those. Does Griffith have plenty to do during the day, or is it mostly a night spot? Imagine my toddler will get cranky early, particularly with the time change.

Just now, Don Quixote said:

La Brea and Griffith were both on my preliminary list. Hope to hit those. Does Griffith have plenty to do during the day, or is it mostly a night spot? Imagine my toddler will get cranky early, particularly with the time change.

Lots to do day or night at the Observatory. There is a great planetarium with lots of shows, chances to safely observe the sun, lots of hands on stuff, and other typical displays/exhibits you would find in an observatory/planetarium. Also lots of stuff about earthquakes, tectonic plates, etc. Plus great views of the city.

Only real drawback is that you can't park right at the observatory. There is a long road leading to it and you often have to park along the road (paid parking) and then hike up the road to the observatory. Can be fine if it isn't raining or too hot, but young kid might not like it as much. Probably worth considering Uber or something like that to get dropped at the Observatory if the cost isn't too high.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Do you remember which museum? Don’t think we’ll get to a studio tour because my son is too young for minimum age requirements, but that could be something Hollywood related.

You could get around that by doing a day at Universal Studios in LA. You can take studio tours there, not sure if they have age requirements since it is also a theme park. We saw the set from Friends while we were there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roarlions said:

Do you remember the name of that museum? Would love to see both of those sets next time we are out there.

17 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Looks like the museum I went to is closed

https://www.seeing-stars.com/Museums/HollywoodEntertainment.shtml

BUT, it has reopened/rebranded and has some new stuff that might be good

http://thehollywoodmuseum.com/

Sorry to get your hopes up

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

a bit late of an announcement, but it was reported last week that Cinderella's castle in MK will be getting a makeover. 

The castle will get a new pinkish paint job up on the secondary stories, and adding gold accenting to the edges and towers. 

Here is a side by side showing the current and new look

Work is expected to extend though the summer, so be prepared for that perfect castle shot to be a little less magical. although they are claiming that there will not be mush visual disruption besides some cranes unlike in Disneyland where the castle was scrimmed for a long while.

They do not expect any disruption to the fireworks and castle shows.

I remember my wife telling me maybe ~1.5 to 2 yrs ago that Cinderella's castle in MK was getting rebranded/renamed to be Ana & Elsa's castle.  Am I dreaming that?  I haven't heard anything about it since...maybe a publicity stunt to take advantage of the Frozen-lovers that visit these days?

41 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

I remember my wife telling me maybe ~1.5 to 2 yrs ago that Cinderella's castle in MK was getting rebranded/renamed to be Ana & Elsa's castle.  Am I dreaming that?  I haven't heard anything about it since...maybe a publicity stunt to take advantage of the Frozen-lovers that visit these days?

They turn it into the Frozen castle for the holidays, as part of the Christmas light show.  That could have been what she was talking about.

Edited by Don Quixote

1 hour ago, wlwiles said:

It was a rumor started when frozen was lighting hot and they were looking to turn any surface in something Anna and Elsa.   Of course it pissed off the frozen haters.  But no it was never actually in the plans as far as I know. 

On 2/23/2020 at 12:21 PM, CR69 said:

On the travel insurance piece, what kind of policy did you get?  The stuff that I was reading said that coronavirus generally not covered by standard policies because of an exclusion for epidemics.  Did you get cancel for any reason?

Can someone explain to me the process of getting a pass to the new rise of resistance Star Wars ride? Arrive early to the park and immediately upon entrance have your app open and try to grab a boarding pass is what the GF has been told but if there’s more info I’d appreciate it (or whether it’s realistic to think we’ll get on it).

12 minutes ago, mlbnfl said:

Can someone explain to me the process of getting a pass to the new rise of resistance Star Wars ride? Arrive early to the park and immediately upon entrance have your app open and try to grab a boarding pass is what the GF has been told but if there’s more info I’d appreciate it (or whether it’s realistic to think we’ll get on it).

Yes and No

Lets assume the park opens at 8:00am

Get to the park 45 minutes early so that you are sure to be scanned in by 8. We got there an hour early for a 7:00am opening and were good.

When you are scanned in, you will be eligible to get a boarding pass BUT, the passes do not open until 8:00am. At 8:00am, you AND your girlfriend should already be on the My Disney Experience app and waiting for it to say sign up for boarding pass.

EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON next to you will be doing the same exact thing so make sure you are signed in and there are no hiccups. We turned our wifi off and used the cell signal

If you are lucky enough (and at this points, its pretty much a lottery) to get a Boarding group, it will tell you what number you are. You will not know what time your group will be called but you can keep checking (like I did) or just get a notification from the app telling you when you can go.

If you get a backup boarding group, dont be too bummed. Up until yesterday, all backup groups had been called 4 days in a row. So all is not lost. 

If you are unlucky and dont even get a backup boarding pass, cry and complain to anyone who will listen and cross your fingers that they feel bad for you because you are out of luck on the app 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

On the travel insurance piece, what kind of policy did you get?  The stuff that I was reading said that coronavirus generally not covered by standard policies because of an exclusion for epidemics.  Did you get cancel for any reason?

I got the one from Disney. Never bought this before so I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for to make sure it's covered. The link to the policy is below, how do I know if that would be covered?

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/c55728c7-fd0a-ea11-8124-1418776a18cb

Iger just announced that he is retiring. Was going to happen sometime soon but this is a surprise. 

8 hours ago, AcerFC said:

When you are scanned in, you will be eligible to get a boarding pass BUT, the passes do not open until 8:00am. At 8:00am, you AND your girlfriend should already be on the My Disney Experience app and waiting for it to say sign up for boarding pass.

What if you have several kids with you? Can I sign up for 4 boarding passes with the Disney app?

8 minutes ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

What if you have several kids with you? Can I sign up for 4 boarding passes with the Disney app?

When you link your tickets to your My Disney Experience app, it will load everyone in your party. It will give you boarding passes for everyone withh you. 

Dont worry about more than one person trying to do it. If you are both lucky enough, one of your apps will just say you already have a boarding pass. 

• Like 1

Space ship earth will be closing on May 26th for a 2 year long refurbishment.  We knew this was coming as part of the overall Epcot reimagining but now we officially have a date 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/02/the-reimagining-of-spaceship-earth-at-epcot-begins-may-26/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q2wo0220200226200008F

Edited by glvsav37
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, glvsav37 said:

Space ship earth will be closing on May 26th for a 2 year long refurbishment.  We knew this was coming as part of the overall Epcot reimagining but now we officially have a date 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/02/the-reimagining-of-spaceship-earth-at-epcot-begins-may-26/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q2wo0220200226200008F

It needs a bar. Seriously.

3 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

Looks like I can cross that one off my list for July :kicksrock:

9 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Yes and No

Lets assume the park opens at 8:00am

Get to the park 45 minutes early so that you are sure to be scanned in by 8. We got there an hour early for a 7:00am opening and were good.

EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON next to you will be doing the same exact thing so make sure you are signed in and there are no hiccups. We turned our wifi off and used the cell signal

If you are lucky enough (and at this points, its pretty much a lottery) to get a Boarding group, it will tell you what number you are. You will not know what time your group will be called but you can keep checking (like I did) or just get a notification from the app telling you when you can go.

If you get a backup boarding group, dont be too bummed. Up until yesterday, all backup groups had been called 4 days in a row. So all is not lost. 

If you are unlucky and dont even get a backup boarding pass, cry and complain to anyone who will listen and cross your fingers that they feel bad for you because you are out of luck on the app 

So I have to physically be in the park before I can try?

im already kind of planning on missing out on it since we are staying at Universal and will need to Uber over, just not sure I want to get there that damn early

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Looks like I can cross that one off my list for July :kicksrock:

Sorry.  Honestly imo this current version was my least favorite. I’m looking forward to seeing what they come out with in the new version. 

epcot has now become the new studios.   For the last few years studios has been a shell of itself and under massive construction. Now it seems within a few short months, the park has exploded and is super popular. 

16 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

Sorry.  Honestly imo this current version was my least favorite. I’m looking forward to seeing what they come out with in the new version. 

epcot has now become the new studios.   For the last few years studios has been a shell of itself and under massive construction. Now it seems within a few short months, the park has exploded and is super popular. 

We skipped Epcot when we went 5 years ago, so kind of bummed since I was looking forward to it since I haven’t been when I was a kid

1 hour ago, glvsav37 said:

Was thinking of heading back next year but may not now.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, glvsav37 said:

You mean by the amount of rides Epcot has become the new studios?  I always enjoyed Epcot as a break from the busyness of the other parks - and some good food, drinks, and a couple quality rides (Test Track/Spaceship/Flight)

2 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

So I have to physically be in the park before I can try?

im already kind of planning on missing out on it since we are staying at Universal and will need to Uber over, just not sure I want to get there that damn early

Yes. Everyone must be scanned in

14 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

You mean by the amount of rides Epcot has become the new studios?  I always enjoyed Epcot as a break from the busyness of the other parks - and some good food, drinks, and a couple quality rides (Test Track/Spaceship/Flight)

yes, I mean for the most part people go to WDW for the rides. I too enjoy really quiet parts and things to do there, but overall guests are paying and staying for the rides. Epcot has always had amazing character and charm, but discussions aside about if it should be more education focused or not, classic Epcot had a ton more to do than current Epcot. 

It is really highlighted when the brought in tiered FastPasses and you can only pick a Tier1 attraction like TT or Soarin, and then you are left with SSE, Turtle Talk, Living with the land, Mission space or Imagination....thats really it. Unless you have kids, TTalk is useless, and if you have even minor motion sickness the Mission Space is out too. So what are you left with? 

Looking back, classic Epcot had SSE (much better version of it, and I dont just mean narration) Universe of Energy, World of motion, Horizons, (the best version of) Imagination + the imagination lab, Living with the land (this pavilion is one of the few that you could say is better now), Seas with sea base alpha ride and the hydrolators. PLUS you had 2 fully stocked Communicore pavilions (and not with character meet and greets or Starbucks) where you could learn all sorts of futuristic things.  

You could literally give a full day just to future world back then. 

As for World showcase, I always looked at those as almost a second park. The vide was/is always different and you are there to get away from the craziness of attractions (as you mentioned) . 

Currently, people with families were turning away from Epcot b/c ride-for-ride there just wasn't enough to even justify the trek over, let along spend a full day/non-hopper ticket on. So that caused a ripple effect where the other parks are having to absorb that capacity, and one reason we have the wait times and crowds we see now. 

Me personally, while i'm not 100% on board with all the Epcot improvements, I knew something HAD to be done. If you read back through my recommendations for the last few years (don't its not worth it lol), I was very down on Studios b/c there was just as little to do there even though its one of my fav parks. Today, I cant recommend studios enough, it has gone from bust to boom in a very short time, and we still have 1 more attraction left to open next week.

Edited by glvsav37
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Iger just announced that he is retiring. Was going to happen sometime soon but this is a surprise. 

Saw a lot of twitter and reddit posts about this last night.  Seems like the consensus is this is good because everything Iger did was to maximize profit without really considering the fan experience.   Prices are at all time highs, you pay to park at the hotels and now you have to stand outside the park an hour before it opens for just a chance to ride the main attraction now.  Seems crazy!

I don't know much about the inner workings of these places so I don't really know, but I tend to agree with most of these statements.  

Not like the new guy is going to come in and say screw profits!  We want the average family of 4 to ride 12 rides a day and wait no longer than 25 minutes on average and be able to walk up to any sit down restaurant and be served a reasonably priced buffet.

This coronavirus and possible stock market correction might have a major impact on Disney.    

17 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

One of my favorites, even if I agree the latest iteration wasn't as good.  Never tire of riding it, though.  Was hoping if would be less than a two year revamp, since we're planning on going next year.  But at least we should have most of the other stuff in Epcot updated by then, and the new Guardians ride and the Ratatouille thing.  

• Like 1

Jungle Cruise Boat sinks.  

This is probably the only ride we didn't do that I would've liked to.  Although, I'm not sure I would've wanted to recreate the Titanic on my ride. 

4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Jungle Cruise Boat sinks.  

This is probably the only ride we didn't do that I would've liked to.  Although, I'm not sure I would've wanted to recreate the Titanic on my ride. 

Crazy. Was trying to think of the wise ### cracks the captain used as the boat totally sunk.

Just now, Osaurus said:

Crazy. Was trying to think of the wise ### cracks the captain used as the boat totally sunk.

“you’ve seen the backside of water, now see...the underside of water!” 

• Laughing 2

On 2/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, glvsav37 said:

yes, I mean for the most part people go to WDW for the rides. I too enjoy really quiet parts and things to do there, but overall guests are paying and staying for the rides. Epcot has always had amazing character and charm, but discussions aside about if it should be more education focused or not, classic Epcot had a ton more to do than current Epcot. 

It is really highlighted when the brought in tiered FastPasses and you can only pick a Tier1 attraction like TT or Soarin, and then you are left with SSE, Turtle Talk, Living with the land, Mission space or Imagination....thats really it. Unless you have kids, TTalk is useless, and if you have even minor motion sickness the Mission Space is out too. So what are you left with? 

Looking back, classic Epcot had SSE (much better version of it, and I dont just mean narration) Universe of Energy, World of motion, Horizons, (the best version of) Imagination + the imagination lab, Living with the land (this pavilion is one of the few that you could say is better now), Seas with sea base alpha ride and the hydrolators. PLUS you had 2 fully stocked Communicore pavilions (and not with character meet and greets or Starbucks) where you could learn all sorts of futuristic things.  

You could literally give a full day just to future world back then. 

As for World showcase, I always looked at those as almost a second park. The vide was/is always different and you are there to get away from the craziness of attractions (as you mentioned) . 

Currently, people with families were turning away from Epcot b/c ride-for-ride there just wasn't enough to even justify the trek over, let along spend a full day/non-hopper ticket on. So that caused a ripple effect where the other parks are having to absorb that capacity, and one reason we have the wait times and crowds we see now. 

Me personally, while i'm not 100% on board with all the Epcot improvements, I knew something HAD to be done. If you read back through my recommendations for the last few years (don't its not worth it lol), I was very down on Studios b/c there was just as little to do there even though its one of my fav parks. Today, I cant recommend studios enough, it has gone from bust to boom in a very short time, and we still have 1 more attraction left to open next week.

Do they still have Captain EO?

Also does Studios still have the Jedi training thing where the kids could fight darth Vader on stage?

@Dan Lambskin CaptainEo: No, that theater is now for Pixar Shorts which are really well done. Worth getting off your feet for 20 min.

Studios:Jedi Academy, Yes 

• Thanks 1

Just now, glvsav37 said:

@Dan Lambskin CaptainEo: No, that theater is now for Pixar Shorts which are really well done. Worth getting off your feet for 20 min.

Studios:Jedi Academy, Yes 

Do I still need to get there early and make a beeline for the signup place?

Just now, Dan Lambskin said:

Do I still need to get there early and make a beeline for the signup place?

I have not done it in awhile, but yes, I would. Studios is attracting a lot of people now anyway b/c of the SWLand, so I would assume some of them will be going to the Jedi Academy too. 

11 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Also does Studios still have the Jedi training thing where the kids could fight darth Vader on stage?

yes