Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
DOVCommish

Disney Vacation

Was thinking All Star Movies.. But Pop is around the same price and seems to be a slight upgrade.

I Have to start looking for deals and get this booked.

Package deal a couple months ago would have been around $1800.

Now I've tried Orlando.com, Disney.com, Travelocity and expedia and it runs between $2,100 to $2,500.

This is for 7 days/6 nights, 2 adults and 1 child(8 years old).

Trying to talk the wife & daughter into going Dec. 15th to the 21st, instead of the 22nd through the 28th.

That alone would save us a bunch of :moneybag:

She'll miss some school, but I think she'll do just fine.

To add:

I'm planning on doing 4 days - 2 just isn't worth it.

If you want to do 7 days (or sell the leftover days), check out this auction:

Link

A 4 day ticket will cost almost $400 each anyway.

I think you can also upgrade them to "no expiration" so you can go back later and use them.

Edited by cstu

Trying to talk the wife & daughter into going Dec. 15th to the 21st, instead of the 22nd through the 28th.

It would certainly help. You can get 10-20% discounts at times if you are a AAA member.... sometimes making it feasible to purchase a AAA membership solely for this discount.

In the past I have used http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/ and http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/#HM-DU for trips. Both were able to secure me rates better than what I was getting on my own. However, For this coming trip, neither was much help as I was able to secure a better rate on my own directly through WDW.

But these places are free. Doesn't cost you anything and very simple to fill out the request form to get a quote. They'll get back to you within a day or 2 and you have so many days to make a deposit to secure your rate. I would at least give them a try.

It would certainly help. You can get 10-20% discounts at times if you are a AAA member.... sometimes making it feasible to purchase a AAA membership solely for this discount.

In the past I have used http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/ and http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/#HM-DU for trips. Both were able to secure me rates better than what I was getting on my own. However, For this coming trip, neither was much help as I was able to secure a better rate on my own directly through WDW.

But these places are free. Doesn't cost you anything and very simple to fill out the request form to get a quote. They'll get back to you within a day or 2 and you have so many days to make a deposit to secure your rate. I would at least give them a try.

:thumbup: Thanks.. never hurts to hit as many quotes before locking in a rate.

Getting better.

Think I have the wife and Daughter talked into a December 8th to the 14th trip instead of over Christmas.

$1,000 Savings :thumbup:

I agree with the post that said wait. I have 3 sons. First time we went because "grandma decided we show go while we were in Fl". SHe paid. Kids were too young and not an enjoyable experience. 4 year old twins/7 year old. Twins were ready to nap by the time we got there and rode two rides.

Went last year. Two 6 year olds and a 9 year old. Was just about right. THe 6 year olds were able to make it to 9pm most nights without getting too cranky. Sister in law had her 3 and 7 year old and she was miserable. We ended up having the 7 year old nephew tagging along with us becuase the 3 year old was a PIA and had to go back early at least twice.

If we can't dissaude you, get up early go until lunch and then MAKE them nap before you go back in the evening. You will thank us.

Edited by george

I agree with the post that said wait. I have 3 sons. First time we went because "grandma decided we show go while we were in Fl". SHe paid. Kids were too young and not an enjoyable experience. 4 year old twins/7 year old. Twins were ready to nap by the time we got there and rode two rides.

Went last year. Two 6 year olds and a 9 year old. Was just about right. THe 6 year olds were able to make it to 9pm most nights without getting too cranky. Sister in law had her 3 and 7 year old and she was miserable. We ended up having the 7 year old nephew tagging along with us becuase the 3 year old was a PIA and had to go back early at least twice.

If we can't dissaude you, get up early go until lunch and then MAKE them nap before you go back in the evening. You will thank us.

My Daughter will be 8.. I think someone else in here posted younger ages.. We figure 8 is :thumbup: .

This year Disney, next summer Grand Canyon, year after that Glacier National Park.. :thumbup:

couple of last minute questions for those here who have been lately...

Which waterpark, Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, for kids 4 & 9 that are a bit chicken of the big thrillers?

Also... I have one Table Service remaining on the dining plan. Have reservations at Boma, Ohana, Whispering Canyon, Teppanyaki, and Character Breakfast at Animal Kingdom. Any suggestions? Not really concerned about the park/resort location.

Women. : Start of :rant: :

So I talk her into going December 8th to the 14th to save $1,000.

Now she comes back with.. well since we are saving money going at a earlier date how about we upgrade to Wilderness Lodge Hotel so we are close to Magic Kingdom.

:wall: So much for saving that :moneybag:

Went from around $2,000 staying at pop century to a little over $3,200.

Time to go donate some blood or a kidney or something. ;)

: End of :rant: :

Edited by snogger

Wife and I took our not even 2 year old daughter last October.

She was great and she actually remembers it to this day.

I will agree it might have been a little young. But I certainly think waiting until they are 8 is a bit much.

And I'm not a Disney fan at all.

Which waterpark, Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, for kids 4 & 9 that are a bit chicken of the big thrillers?

Also... I have one Table Service remaining on the dining plan. Have reservations at Boma, Ohana, Whispering Canyon, Teppanyaki, and Character Breakfast at Animal Kingdom. Any suggestions? Not really concerned about the park/resort location.

Just got back Sunday. I would recommend Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach for little kids or those that aren't as adventureous.

Great selection of restaurants. Chef Mickey's (in the Contemporary) is a good choice for a character dinner. Guaranteed that you will come out of there full.

I like the Sci-Fi for the atmosphere -- it is very cool. The food is OK if you stick with sandwiches & milkshakes. The San Angel Inn (Mexico) also has a really cool atmosphere and the food is decent, but not great. Le Cellar (Canada) has great steaks and the cheese soup is outstanding.

Now she comes back with.. well since we are saving money going at a earlier date how about we upgrade to Wilderness Lodge Hotel so we are close to Magic Kingdom.

I really think it's time we met..................

The last 2 times we went we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Highly recomend it if you can go the extra cash. 5 minute boat ride into the magic Kingdom and boats run very often. The only thing I wa a little dissapointed in is it's the only resort level hotel in Disney that's not on the monorail for MGM and Epcot. You'll have to take buses but it's really not that bad of a ride.

A little tip. Book the cheapest room and when you check in ask for free upgrades. We went in February and got upgraded two levels. Went from the parking lot view to the pool view. This helped out when the kids were swimming.

The last 2 times we went we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Highly recomend it if you can go the extra cash. 5 minute boat ride into the magic Kingdom and boats run very often. The only thing I wa a little dissapointed in is it's the only resort level hotel in Disney that's not on the monorail for MGM and Epcot. You'll have to take buses but it's really not that bad of a ride.

A little tip. Book the cheapest room and when you check in ask for free upgrades. We went in February and got upgraded two levels. Went from the parking lot view to the pool view. This helped out when the kids were swimming.

Just got back from the Wilderness Lodge. I would say the boat ride to the MK is maybe 10 minutes and the ride back is more like 15 (it stops first at the Ft. Wilderness Campground).

The absolute best resort in terms of transportation is the Polynesian. It is directly on the MK line and it is just a short walk to the EPCOT monorail and to the TTC, the hub of Disny's transporartion system.

The kids will have a good time at the Whispering Canyon. The waiters and watresses are in western charater. They do horse races around the resaurant occasionaly.

When you need ketchup, the kids get to stand up on the chairs and yell to the whole place - I need ketchup - people come over to the table witha bottle.

They also have drinks that come oput in a bucket sized glass.

I would recomend Blizzard Beach for the water park. Lots of things for the smaller ones.

:thumbup: Thanks

Everything I've read says Wilderness Lodge is great. Not to mention this will be the just before Christmas so the lights should be up. :thumbup:

Like I said.. Selling off a few pints of blood and maybe a Kidney and we should be set.

Anything for the wife and kid. ;)

I really think it's time we met..................

Oh hell, I lost that about 5 minutes after I asked her to marry me.

Who am I kidding, it was gone when we first started dating. :kicksrock:

;)

Edited by snogger

We are going back around that time as well, and will probably be staying at Wilderness as well.

We are going back around that time as well, and will probably be staying at Wilderness as well.

Have you made arrangments already?

We are going through Mouse for less

Just sent in the form today so waiting for the return Phone call/E-mails for the quote.

I priced it through Disneyworld.disney.com so now going to see what Mouse for less can save us. :popcorn:

Women. : Start of  :rant:  :

Time to go donate some blood or a kidney or something.  ;)

: End of  :rant:  :

Have you made arrangments already?

We are going through Mouse for less

Just sent in the form today so waiting for the return Phone call/E-mails for the quote.

I priced it through Disneyworld.disney.com so now going to see what Mouse for less can save us. :popcorn:

We made the initial reservation. We always get an annual pass, so we usually get that discount, plus whatever my wife finds in the discount area.

I will agree it might have been a little young. But I certainly think waiting until they are 8 is a bit much.

I agree with this guy. Plus, kids under 3 are free (at least that is what my wife told me).

I agree with this guy. Plus, kids under 3 are free (at least that is what my wife told me).

Yep. And take em again before they are 10. 3-9 = child prices.

I took my daughter a couple of months before she was 4 and we are fixing to leave again, a couple of months before she is 10.

Kids under 3 are free- my son will be 3 on our next trip so the extra expense kinda sucks, but we love the place.

Wife and I took our not even 2 year old daughter last October.She was great and she actually remembers it to this day.I will agree it might have been a little young. But I certainly think waiting until they are 8 is a bit much.And I'm not a Disney fan at all.

Kids under 3 are free- my son will be 3 on our next trip so the extra expense kinda sucks, but we love the place.
You meant to say that he'll be 3 the week after you get back, right? ;):D

I have not read this whole thread... only the last 3 posts.... but for those who go to WDW or plan to go to WDW and would like alot of info (like rides suitable for youngsters, meals, events, behinds the scenes stuff, etc).... go to Deb's Unofficial WDW Information Guide web site... recently converted to All Ears Network

http://www.allearsnet.com/index.html

You could spend days going over all the info there...

sorry if its a honda..... just trying to help.

My wife is a Disney expert.  I'll see what she can add.  If you can think of any other questions you might have about the place, ask here and I'll get her to answer.

Okay, according to my husband it looks like I am the expert he spoke of. Staying on Disney property will save you time and money especially with a five year old. Do not expect to do everything disney has to offer in 4 days with a four year old.

In December in 2006 as long as you go before Dec. 20th it will be value season at Disney hotels. Rooms at value resorts during this time can be as little as $59/night with AAA discount or $69/night without. Staying on property saves you $10 day in parking fees and you can use Disney Transportation to and from the parks if your son needs a break during the day. Staying onsite allows you to use the parks during Extra Magic Hours which on select days they open the parks one hour early or stay open 3 hours later to resort guests only.

You can opt to get the disney dining plan it was going for roughly $35/per adult per day...if you choose to do this it can work out to be a bargain but you need to make reservations for sit down restaurants ahead of time because they rarely have room for walk ups. Disney restaurants are now taking reservations 180 days ahead of time.

Passes are now called my way, you buy a base ticket which allows you into one park for one day you add options onto it, like park hopping and additional days, you can also add "plus" features like the water parks and/or disney quest (most likely on a 4 day trip you wouldn't get to use this feature) you can also add a "no expiration" option which can be a good value or not depending on the number of days you choose. DO NOT BUY TICKETS ON EBAY, you do not know how many days are really left on them, and disney can't tell you until you go to put it through at the gate. With the new my way tickets the more days you buy the cheaper it is per day, so if you ever plan on returning it might not be a bad idea to buy 8 or 10 days with the no expiration option as opposed to a 4 day 14 day expiration ticket.

Ticketmania is a good discount ticket broker, we have personally used them and found their service to be exceptional.

Guide books, the unofficial guide is good but I love passporter, they also have a message board at passporter.com

www.mousesavers.com is a great resource as well as www.allearsnet.com

As far as a rental car you might want to skip it alltogether, Disney provides free transportation to and from their resorts to the airport, they provide transportation from all hotels and parks. You really don't NEED a car. If you choose to go to universal there is a LINX bus that goes (I think it is $8 per person) or you could get a cab.

Don't underestimate, the dining and entertainment options at Epcot and MGM, there is a new stunt show, there will be a new attraction Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom, and Soarin at Epcot is not to be missed.

One last thing, at Christmas time, there are extra things, like Mickey's very merry christmas party (requires separate ticket) but it has a limited attendance so attraction lines are very small. The candlelight processional and the Osbourne lights among a billion other things.

PM me if you need more info.

I stopped reading after this post...it seemed to answer every possible question.

I also never understand why people are so quick to dismiss the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow or E.P.C.O.T. I guess I might understand how a 4 year old could get a little bored...but if just riding the under 5 year old rides are the only things that interest them than most of the Disney World rides are going to be too much for them too. Epcot has awesome food, and BEER! Lots of BEER! Did I mention they have BEER! And you can drink! :D Not as good for kids I know. Start with a Molsen in Canada, than off to Bass in England, roll into Germany for a Becks, than off to Mexico for some Corona. What a park!

• Like 2

What a coincidence...I'm getting on a plane at 7:15 tomorrow morning to go to Disney, and we'll be staying at Wilderness Lodge. :excited:

Intercot has great info on it including a message board. I got some good tips there as we planned our trip.

If you're thinking of going late this summer, they have FREE dining plan if you're staying in the park. That's a free snack, fast food meal and a sit down meal each day. Book table service restaurants WELL in advance. We couldn't get reservations at one or two of the places we wanted.

Also, they're doing a promotional for families with young children/toddlers called Magical Beginnings or some such. I think it coincides with the free dining which goes til the end of September.

Off to finish packing!

They don't check birth certificates at the gate. Slap the kid in a stroller, give his binkie and pacie back and cruise through. Works until about age 12. Then they think the kid is on X. Edited by Idiot Boxer

What a coincidence...I'm getting on a plane at 7:15 tomorrow morning to go to Disney, and we'll be staying at Wilderness Lodge. :excited:

Intercot has great info on it including a message board. I got some good tips there as we planned our trip.

If you're thinking of going late this summer, they have FREE dining plan if you're staying in the park. That's a free snack, fast food meal and a sit down meal each day. Book table service restaurants WELL in advance. We couldn't get reservations at one or two of the places we wanted.

Also, they're doing a promotional for families with young children/toddlers called Magical Beginnings or some such. I think it coincides with the free dining which goes til the end of September.

Off to finish packing!

Make sure you give us a report.

I just got my quote for Wilderness Lodge for December 8th through the 14th and will be booking today.

Any and all highlights/lowlights and in-between would be greatly appreciated.

TIA :popcorn:

:lmao: Sorry, I chuckled at this.

I thought she would forget as well. But just yesterday I was talking to her and asking "Do you remember going to Disney?" She lit right up and said "Yeah, Mickey Mouse and Goopy and Minnie Mouse".

We'd be going again if my wife wasn't 9 months pregnant.

Penciled in for spring of 2008.

I thought she would forget as well. But just yesterday I was talking to her and asking "Do you remember going to Disney?" She lit right up and said "Yeah, Mickey Mouse and Goopy and Minnie Mouse".

Goopy? :confused:

Must not have kids to understand "kid speak" ;)

Must not have kids to understand "kid speak" ;)

My kids are 20, 19 & 17 and you are right. I don't understand half of what they say. :P

Make sure you don't hit Disney during Homo/Dyke week, otherwise your kids will be subjected to bad bad imagery.

FYI, that is this weekend...so if you are going to be on property, do your best to avoid the Magic Kingdom on Saturday and definitely don't wear a red shirt, no matter which park you are going to.

They really don't bother anyone for the most part, there are just a lot of them in a confined area and some cause bigger scenes than others

Yeah, she has difficulty with her "f's". Everything else comes out crystal clear.

Funny when her food is hot and she says "Let it cool osch".

They don't check birth certificates at the gate. Slap the kid in a stroller, give his binkie and pacie back and cruise through. Works until about age 12. Then they think the kid is on X.

Actually, they keep a database of everyone who stays on site. When we called to make the reservations they pulled up our records and knew that we had been going for two years with our son, and that he was likely 3 by the time of the new trip.

I don't really see the advantages to staying on disney property - the last time we went to Disney we stayed off property in a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo that was $100 a night. And it was new...We had a rental car to get around, and had the freedom to go wherever we wanted - all while saving money overall. Why not do this instead?

I don't really see the advantages to staying on disney property - the last time we went to Disney we stayed off property in a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo that was $100 a night. And it was new...We had a rental car to get around, and had the freedom to go wherever we wanted - all while saving money overall. Why not do this instead?

For us...

1. Onsite allows for no driving. Big :thumbup: for us during a vacation like Disney.

2. Onsite allows us to grab a quick ride back to the hotel for an afternoon break and then head back for the evening

3. early open, Late closing for Resort guests.

Sure you pay more, but for the convince of being close without having to drive and pay parking fees is worth it for us.

Edited by snogger

Staying on the property is HUGE when you have little ones.

With our 2 year old, staying at the Contemporary was fantastic.

Just wheel the stroller on and off the monorail. :thumbup:

Edited by Payne

For us...

1. Onsite allows for no driving. Big :thumbup: for us during a vacation like Disney.

2. Onsite allows us to grab a quick ride back to the hotel for an afternoon break and then head back for the evening

Sure you pay more, but for the convince of being close without having to drive and pay parking fees is worth it for us.

This sums it up pretty well. Other amenities are free parking at the parks and they will deliver merchandise purchased at parks and Downtown Disney to your hotel for free.

They don't check birth certificates at the gate. Slap the kid in a stroller, give his binkie and pacie back and cruise through. Works until about age 12. Then they think the kid is on X.

Actually, they keep a database of everyone who stays on site. When we called to make the reservations they pulled up our records and knew that we had been going for two years with our son, and that he was likely 3 by the time of the new trip.

:shrug: since we purchased our tickets and our lodging separately, it didn't matter. We even told them our son was 3, but the people at the gate didn't know that...

Also, if you upgrate to non-expiring tickets, then you just buy the 3 year old passes, but don't use them. They'll be good for your next trip back.

Edited by Idiot Boxer

For us...

This sums it up pretty well. Other amenities are free parking at the parks and they will deliver merchandise purchased at parks and Downtown Disney to your hotel for free.

:goodposting: Forgot about the Purchase and have it delivered to your hotel option. GREAT, Great Option... :thumbup:

Whatever works for you I guess - my kids (5 and 3 years old) could never do a park for the whole day. They get whipped. So we usually will only do a part of the day then leave. The parking is really no big deal for us, the tram is awesome from the parking lot.

I guess for me, the freedom of being able to do other things plus the HUGE plus of being able to put the kids to sleep in one bedroom and not have to be quiet at bed time (plus having a washer/dryer) more than makes up for not being on the property.

so it seems like there are ways to go cheaper than just thru walt disney world reservation system...

i will be in orlando for 10 days or so, but only needing the disney property for the last 3 or 4...

so i'll buy a 10 day pass, and some resort for the last few days only...

wilderness lodge getting lots of love...

i'm confused about the savannah room..deluxe vs standard...

the writeups are exactly the same at wdw site, but the price is much different...

We are booked!!!

December 9th-December 14th. Staying at Wilderness Lodge.. Slightly more than I was at first going to pay(Paid about $3400, when at first planned $2000-$2500))

But Luxury resort, Dining my way for 5 days, a direct flight and it all added up to +++ on our lists of Must have for a Disney experience.

Been working with a travel agent at the magic for less.

She managed to get us booked in for Cinderellas Royal Breakfast for the morning of my Daughters 8th Birthday, which is the hardest thing to get in at. :thumbup:

Edited by snogger