What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (3 Viewers)

Are you planning meals for everyone or leaving each family on their own? How long is your stay? Is this your first trip?Your trip is during the busy time of the year, so any preparation you do will be beneficial. There are several sights that can help. Mousesavers has some good information. Disboards does too. Be sure to look into the refurbishment schedule to be aware of ride closures.
It will be for a week. I am going to do the meal plan for my family, but I'm guessing that the other families will do whatever I do. I think we will try to do as much as we can together, but I'm going to plan this out how I want it to go for my family and if they want to do the same then they are welcome to. This is ostensibly our first trip. Mrs. Foos and I were at Disney back in 1998 but it was a corporate thing, no kids.Thanks for the refurbishment advice, I would not have even thought of that.How do fast passes work? Do you go in the morning and get a pass for a certain time of day? Does that mean you spend your morning running around getting fast passes so you can plan out your rides?

Are you planning meals for everyone or leaving each family on their own? How long is your stay? Is this your first trip?Your trip is during the busy time of the year, so any preparation you do will be beneficial. There are several sights that can help. Mousesavers has some good information. Disboards does too. Be sure to look into the refurbishment schedule to be aware of ride closures.
It will be for a week. I am going to do the meal plan for my family, but I'm guessing that the other families will do whatever I do. I think we will try to do as much as we can together, but I'm going to plan this out how I want it to go for my family and if they want to do the same then they are welcome to. This is ostensibly our first trip. Mrs. Foos and I were at Disney back in 1998 but it was a corporate thing, no kids.Thanks for the refurbishment advice, I would not have even thought of that.How do fast passes work? Do you go in the morning and get a pass for a certain time of day? Does that mean you spend your morning running around getting fast passes so you can plan out your rides?
Fast passes are available at the different rides/attractions. You walk/run up insert your card and get a single fast pass. Each card will need to be inserted. The fast pass has a time window indicated for your return. You can ride any time after the initial time on the fast pass. I believe you can only have one fast pass at a time. Also, there is a limited number of fast passes available for a ride/attraction. For example, we were in DW in September. Toy Story Mania was new and was out of fast passes by 11:00 a.m.

Disney is offering 35% off resorts at the present time if you go by May 6.

We are looking at the Polynesian Resort because we want to be on the monorail - anyone stay there recently? Did you like it?
Why stay on property? We've stayed in Kissimmee at least 5 times and will never stay on property (which we did once, at Port Orleans). We found a property management company which has really nice properties, with more room than you get at Disney for far cheaper. Even considering a car....
I would never stay off property. I think there are always great deals to be had and I love the transportation. We usually stay at Coronado Springs. I also like to have a few beers at Epcot so it is nice to not have to worry about driving at all.
I understand why you wouldn't. But there are a ton of great deals off property ...and really we all got very tired of the same food everywhere but the pricier places. Its all the same under different names. We enjoyed going to different places off site. There are beautiful condos for $199 - $299 a week that are 2-3 bedroom deals. MORE privacy for mom and dad - bid deal. Kids go to bed and TV doesn't have to go off early. Adult time O-City. Thank you very much. Kid time is great - but we need a break too - works out great.
We have stayed off-site each time with a time share in the family (Wyndham/RCI). It has worked out quite well and may be working for a trip in June next year (hate the timing but we have 12 of us and kids in 2 states with different school schedules which sucks).Actually been looking on VRBO and HomeAway and there are some great deals on houses to sleep enough people, with private pool and hot tub and game rooms that are so much chearper than anything we could get on property for 12 people.

Next time its just my wife and kids and I...we will likely try on Disney property...but for this trip, its going to save a ton by staying off-site.

Foosball God said:
baaloc1968 said:
THE FAST PASS:The Fast Pass is your friend. A little pre-planning and you can add several rides to your day with a very short wait time. Here's how we use it...1. First, decide in advance which rides at each park are truly Fast Pass worthy. For example, Soarin at Epcot and Toy Story Mania at Hollywood Studios are VERY popular. The lines get long early and stay that way. Also, as another poster pointed out, the FP's run out on busy days.2. We like to be there when the park opens. So let's say we are at Epcot. We make a bee-line for Soarin. As soon as we get there, dear old dad (me) gets a Fast Pass for all of us. NOTE: you need each person's ticket because the machine will only distribute one FP per ticket. After I get the FP, we stand in the "regular" line and ride it. We save the FP to ride it a 2nd time.3. You can have more than one FP at a time if the "time" has passed or if it's been more than two hours since your last one. Let's say my Soarin FP has a time of 10:45am - 11:45am. If it's any time past 10:45, I can go ahead and get another FP for Soarin or some other ride, Test Track for example. This is where you have to decide. If the whole family thought Soarin was awesome, I'll grab another FP for it (so we now have two FPs per person). If they were only mildly impressed, I'll leave them at one of the indoor attractions and run over to Test Track and grab one for it instead.4. Although the FP's have an expiration, I have used them several hours later without any problem. I will typically have two per person stashed in the backpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id add on FP and especially Soarin...go get that fast pass early as you say, but send everyone else to Test Track and then meet them there to ride Test Track after you pick up the fast passes.

You then quickly have those two out of the way and can leisurely do anything else you want to do at Epcot.

Same at MK...send someone to get FPs for Space Mountain while everyone else heads to Thunder Mountain (if you are in it for the roller coasters of course). That side of the park by Thunder Mountain is dead in the mornings.

At HS...FP Toy Story Mania and then hit RockNRollerCoaster would be my guess. Last time instead we were in line for the Star Wars thing for my son.

AK...FP first for Everest then meet everyone for the early morning Safari.

I will end up being the runner as Im quicker than the rest of the family and know the parks a bit better and they can slowly move to the other rides with the group of kids.

Also...as it has been written in here...use the rider swap if you have kids that aren't going to ride. They have been looking closer at it the last time I was there, so have a kid ready to point him/her out to the operator to get the rider swap pass.

Also...as it has been written in here...use the rider swap if you have kids that aren't going to ride. They have been looking closer at it the last time I was there, so have a kid ready to point him/her out to the operator to get the rider swap pass.
You just lost me. I have no idea what you just said.

You just lost me. I have no idea what you just said.
Ok..they have a thing called the rider swap. If you have a small child or child who won't ride something or can't...you go up and ask the guy as you go into the ride for a rider swap ticket. So at your fast pass time, or riding in the stand by line, you go, ride the ride and get that ticket before you go in.They may ask to see the child and other adult as people were abusing this.After the first person rides the ride, they other person has the ticket that puts them in the fast pass line.Works great for multiple rides if you have a group large enough for someone to watch the kids as the rider swap pass is good for I think up to 3 people.That still might not be the most clear explanation.

We need to go in the summer (wife's a teacher.) Any truth to what I'm reading about 3rd week of August starting the "less busy" season?

We need to go in the summer (wife's a teacher.) Any truth to what I'm reading about 3rd week of August starting the "less busy" season?
Yes, it is true. Crowds start getting smaller the 3rd week of August but it is still busy. Things really thin out after Labor Day though.

Foosball God said:
OK I need some help here. I was counting on more time to research things but I was thrown a monkey wrench. We're going to go on a big family trip to Disney in 2011. That means the Foos family of four (son 8, daughter 7), SILs family (daughter 7, son 5), In-law grandparents. I was pushing for late September/early October but have been shot down and so it needs to be in late June/early July. I am going to set up the resort stuff for everyone, and probably do most of the research on dining and activities.I am going into this with the expectation that we are not all going to do the same things all the time. I'm going to let everyone know that upfront, because trying to get everyone to do the same things and get everyone ready and going at the same time is a headache I don't want to take on.That said, I will need to find out what the best things to do are for the kids. I know we'll want to set up a princess thing (make-over? or breakfast or something) for the two 7 year old girls. I've heard good things about the Kim Possible thing which I think my son would like.I also don't know how fast passes work or anything like that. We will want to stay on resort and I am thinking Polynesian because of monorail access. I realize I can probably get better deals on stuff but I don't mind paying a premium for convenience as this is a once in a lifetime type trip. If we ever do Disney again it won't be with such a large group.The whole prospect of what I need to do is daunting, I don't even really know where to start. If someone can give me some good info or references on what websites I should be looking at that would be great. This thread is a great resource but it has gotten so big that I don't even know where to look in here.TIA
Foos, it looks like you've already had some of your questions answered. One thing you may want to do is contact the WDW and ask them about their Magical Gatherings and Grand Gatherings information. It is designed specifically for large groups (8 or more) and they can assist you in making dining reservations, coordinate accommodations and they have special offers as well. Worth giving them a call: (407) 934-7639.

Foosball God said:
OK I need some help here. I was counting on more time to research things but I was thrown a monkey wrench. We're going to go on a big family trip to Disney in 2011. That means the Foos family of four (son 8, daughter 7), SILs family (daughter 7, son 5), In-law grandparents. I was pushing for late September/early October but have been shot down and so it needs to be in late June/early July. I am going to set up the resort stuff for everyone, and probably do most of the research on dining and activities.I am going into this with the expectation that we are not all going to do the same things all the time. I'm going to let everyone know that upfront, because trying to get everyone to do the same things and get everyone ready and going at the same time is a headache I don't want to take on.That said, I will need to find out what the best things to do are for the kids. I know we'll want to set up a princess thing (make-over? or breakfast or something) for the two 7 year old girls. I've heard good things about the Kim Possible thing which I think my son would like.I also don't know how fast passes work or anything like that. We will want to stay on resort and I am thinking Polynesian because of monorail access. I realize I can probably get better deals on stuff but I don't mind paying a premium for convenience as this is a once in a lifetime type trip. If we ever do Disney again it won't be with such a large group.The whole prospect of what I need to do is daunting, I don't even really know where to start. If someone can give me some good info or references on what websites I should be looking at that would be great. This thread is a great resource but it has gotten so big that I don't even know where to look in here.TIA
Foos, it looks like you've already had some of your questions answered. One thing you may want to do is contact the WDW and ask them about their Magical Gatherings and Grand Gatherings information. It is designed specifically for large groups (8 or more) and they can assist you in making dining reservations, coordinate accommodations and they have special offers as well. Worth giving them a call: (407) 934-7639 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (407) 934-7639      end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Driving down from Canada with our 5 and 3 year old in Jan. We are renting a house for the week, my kids (and wife) are a challenge on 5 hour trips, not sure about a 20 hour one so I want the space for downtime when park days are done to keep the stress level low on the trip.

None of us have ever been, and I want to take the kids when they are still young. Guess I have some reading to do...

Driving down from Canada with our 5 and 3 year old in Jan. We are renting a house for the week, my kids (and wife) are a challenge on 5 hour trips, not sure about a 20 hour one so I want the space for downtime when park days are done to keep the stress level low on the trip.None of us have ever been, and I want to take the kids when they are still young. Guess I have some reading to do...
Check out magicalmemories.com - they're a property management company we've used. You cant go wrong with any of their properties. All have sweet condos plus pools. Well worth it IMO.

Since our Dinsey Wold test run went OK this past Feb with our then 1 1/2 year old, I want to plan a grand trip to Disney in a year and a half. My plan is as follows....

1. Get a Disney Card (already done - $200 in Disney bucks)

2. This Christmass buy 3 7 day park tickets, hopper pass with a promise for the future.

(Seems like AAA is the best place to buy park tickets?)
This is the site I've always used for our Disney tickets - because we plan to go every other year for a week at a time, we buy 10-day park hoppers with no expiration date - but I think this place has as good of prices as I've been able to find. Undercover Tourist

A few random thoughts:

1. Photopass - it's free to sign up whether you use it or not. I am a fan.

2. The Magic Kingdom parade at night is excellent. Must see. It's followed by the Wishes fireworks. A few things...

2a. Grab a spot early by sitting on the curb on Main Street. If you sit on the curb then no one can stand in front of you. You are close to the Exit when all is done.

2b. They sell the "light up" toys everywhere. Cost is about $20 and your kid will probably cry for one because all of the other kids have them. Buy early or take your own glow sticks.

2c. The actress that plays Tinkerbell comes shooting down this wire to the top of Cinderella's Castle to start the fireworks. Don't miss it.

3. If you can afford it, and you have a young daughter - book the breakfast with Cinderella in her castle. After everyone is seated they play "When You Wish Upon a Star", then all of the Disney princesses come out and greet. I have never seen so many adults cry in one spot.

4. Speaking of meeting characters - they will sign autographs and take pictures. Take advantage of this. You will thank me later. Tip...buy an oversize pen (one of those giant 12" pens) and an autograph book from Walmart or Dollar General before your trip. Many of the characters have giant gloves on and the oversized pen really helps.

5. Epcot is HUGE. Wear comfortable shoes.

6. Get Fast Passes for all the popular rides. Once you get there send the rest of the clan to the first ride of the day while you run over and grab a Fast Pass. Meet them at the ride.

7. Take a backpack. Who cares if you look like a dork. Pack bottled water, wipes, snacks, etc. Maybe pack a sweater or something if you are going in the spring or fall.

8. Plan some rest time. You will need it.

9. Make sure you see Philharmagic in Magic Kingdom. The line is not bad, and the show is great. I also loved the night show at Hollywood Studios: Fantasmic. Toy Story Mania and Soarin were incredible the first time.

10. If you go to the Indiana Jones stunt show, then sit close and volunteer to be in it. My wife and I have both been picked, and it was great fun.

11. I'm a baby when it comes to thrill rides. The only tough rides for me are Mission Space (Epcot) and Rockin Roller (Hollywood Studios). I did get pretty sick on the Star Wars ride.

12. Last - they have the cleanest public restrooms I have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading down this week to stay at a 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower.

Anyone ever do the Christmas party they do some nights at the Magic Kingdom? I was wondering if what worth the extra $ to go to it.

A few random thoughts:

2. The Magic Kingdom parade at night is excellent. Must see. It's followed by the Wishes fireworks. A few things...

2a. Grab a spot early by sitting on the curb on Main Street. If you sit on the curb then no one can stand in front of you. You are close to the Exit when all is done.

2b. They sell the "light up" toys everywhere. Cost is about $20 and your kid will probably cry for one because all of the other kids have them. Buy early or take your own glow sticks.

2c. The actress that plays Tinkerbell comes shooting down this wire to the top of Cinderella's Castle to start the fireworks. Don't miss it.

3. If you can afford it, and you have a young daughter - book the breakfast with Cinderella in her castle. After everyone is seated they play "When You Wish Upon a Star", then all of the Disney princesses come out and greet. I have never seen so many adults cry in one spot.

4. Speaking of meeting characters - they will sign autographs and take pictures. Take advantage of this. You will thank me later. Tip...buy an oversize pen (one of those giant 12" pens) and an autograph book from Walmart or Dollar General before your trip. Many of the characters have giant gloves on and the oversized pen really helps.5. Epcot is HUGE. Wear comfortable shoes.

6. Get Fast Passes for all the popular rides. Once you get there send the rest of the clan to the first ride of the day while you run over and grab a Fast Pass. Meet them at the ride.

7. Take a backpack. Who cares if you look like a dork. Pack bottled water, wipes, snacks, etc. Maybe pack a sweater or something if you are going in the spring or fall.

9. Make sure you see Philharmagic in Magic Kingdom. The line is not bad, and the show is great. I also loved the night show at Hollywood Studios: Fantasmic. Toy Story Mania and Soarin were incredible the first time.

10. If you go to the Indiana Jones stunt show, then sit close and volunteer to be in it. My wife and I have both been picked, and it was great fun.

11. I'm a baby when it comes to thrill rides. The only tough rides for me are Mission Space (Epcot) and Rockin Roller (Hollywood Studios). I did get pretty sick on the Star Wars ride.

We spent a lot of our time standing in line to do this. I mean A LOT of time and my daughter loved it. LOVED IT. At first I was like what a waste of time but meeting her "rockstars" was awesome.I would suggest even if you think they can walk BRING A STROLLER. My daughter was 4 when we went and a stroller is a must!!!

Where are you seeing this? I can't find such an offer?
Link please? Thanks!
We are signed up with Disney to get special e-mail offers & promotions. I received an e-mail offer from Disney Destinations, LLC. They are offering 30% off Moderate, 35% off Deluxe, etc. for stays from 1/2/2011 - 4/16/2011 and from 5/1/2011 - 6/5/2011. You have to book by the end of the year.Other than the e-mail I don't have any link. I suggest just giving the reservation line a call.

We are looking at the Polynesian Resort because we want to be on the monorail - anyone stay there recently? Did you like it?
Why stay on property? We've stayed in Kissimmee at least 5 times and will never stay on property (which we did once, at Port Orleans). We found a property management company which has really nice properties, with more room than you get at Disney for far cheaper. Even considering a car....
We have been to Disney on two occasions. The first trip we were able to stay off property at a friends condo for $100 (for a week). It was a bad experience. Very noisy and parking at the condo was awful. By the time we came home from the park all of the spots were gone and we had to park about 1/4 mile away on the street.Trip #2 we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, and the family loved the entire experience. The Mouse took care of our luggage, transportation, and meals. I don't think I will ever stay off property again. But it's just a personal preference.
I agree. we've gone twice, stayed at Wilderness both times and can't imagine staying "off park".Not having to worry about rental cars, driving, parking and then driving back after a long day at the park is huge.

Add in not having to deal with getting luggage at the airport, the dining plans and I can't imagine not staying "on park".

we will probably head back in 2 years.. This time will stay closer to Epcot instead of Wilderness.. Can't wait. :popcorn:

OK I need some help here. I was counting on more time to research things but I was thrown a monkey wrench. We're going to go on a big family trip to Disney in 2011. That means the Foos family of four (son 8, daughter 7), SILs family (daughter 7, son 5), In-law grandparents. I was pushing for late September/early October but have been shot down and so it needs to be in late June/early July. I am going to set up the resort stuff for everyone, and probably do most of the research on dining and activities.

I am going into this with the expectation that we are not all going to do the same things all the time. I'm going to let everyone know that upfront, because trying to get everyone to do the same things and get everyone ready and going at the same time is a headache I don't want to take on.

That said, I will need to find out what the best things to do are for the kids. I know we'll want to set up a princess thing (make-over? or breakfast or something) for the two 7 year old girls. I've heard good things about the Kim Possible thing which I think my son would like.

I also don't know how fast passes work or anything like that. We will want to stay on resort and I am thinking Polynesian because of monorail access. I realize I can probably get better deals on stuff but I don't mind paying a premium for convenience as this is a once in a lifetime type trip. If we ever do Disney again it won't be with such a large group.

The whole prospect of what I need to do is daunting, I don't even really know where to start. If someone can give me some good info or references on what websites I should be looking at that would be great. This thread is a great resource but it has gotten so big that I don't even know where to look in here.

TIA
I get accused of getting kick backs at times for posting this (wish I did as they owe me BIG!! :popcorn: ) but We've used magicforless both times we went and will be using them again when it comes time to go again.

OK I need some help here. I was counting on more time to research things but I was thrown a monkey wrench. We're going to go on a big family trip to Disney in 2011. That means the Foos family of four (son 8, daughter 7), SILs family (daughter 7, son 5), In-law grandparents. I was pushing for late September/early October but have been shot down and so it needs to be in late June/early July. I am going to set up the resort stuff for everyone, and probably do most of the research on dining and activities.

I am going into this with the expectation that we are not all going to do the same things all the time. I'm going to let everyone know that upfront, because trying to get everyone to do the same things and get everyone ready and going at the same time is a headache I don't want to take on.

That said, I will need to find out what the best things to do are for the kids. I know we'll want to set up a princess thing (make-over? or breakfast or something) for the two 7 year old girls. I've heard good things about the Kim Possible thing which I think my son would like.

I also don't know how fast passes work or anything like that. We will want to stay on resort and I am thinking Polynesian because of monorail access. I realize I can probably get better deals on stuff but I don't mind paying a premium for convenience as this is a once in a lifetime type trip. If we ever do Disney again it won't be with such a large group.

The whole prospect of what I need to do is daunting, I don't even really know where to start. If someone can give me some good info or references on what websites I should be looking at that would be great. This thread is a great resource but it has gotten so big that I don't even know where to look in here.

TIA
I get accused of getting kick backs at times for posting this (wish I did as they owe me BIG!! :popcorn: ) but We've used magicforless both times we went and will be using them again when it comes time to go again.
Did they set up everything for you?

Anyone ever do the Christmas party they do some nights at the Magic Kingdom? I was wondering if what worth the extra $ to go to it.
Done it twice and it was well worth it. :popcorn:

Done it twice and it was well worth it. :thumbup:
absolutely worth it IMOyou pay 40 bucks to do the entire park from 4pm-1am

No lines and a great parade with hot chocolate and cookies

They used to do a free picture but have done away with that

Dr. Doofenshmirtz said:
snogger said:

Done it twice and it was well worth it. :confused:

Do you know if you can leave the party and go back in later? BLT is only a 5 minute walk to the Magic kingdom, so I am thinking of bringing the kids back to the room with the inlaws and then the wife and I can go back and stay till 1 am.

Dr. Doofenshmirtz said:
snogger said:

Done it twice and it was well worth it. :wall:

Do you know if you can leave the party and go back in later? BLT is only a 5 minute walk to the Magic kingdom, so I am thinking of bringing the kids back to the room with the inlaws and then the wife and I can go back and stay till 1 am.
Yes you can leave and come back.The first time we went to it, we went VERY early in the morning for "Breakfast in the castle" then went back to Wilderness around 2pm. took a nap and relaxed until 5pm, headed back for dinner and the party :2cents:

My only gripe with Disney is that they make it tougher on large families. With all the resort options that they provide, you'd think they would have something (other than getting 2 rooms) for families of more than 6 that is not in the deluxe price range.

We went last summer with our 3 kids and my mother-in-law. We got a cabin at Fort Wilderness and it worked out great. We are now in the process of adopting 2 more kids, who are living with us now as foster children until the adoption was finalized, and we were thinking about trying to go back next summer so they could experience it as well. But now with 7 (and possibly 8 if the mother-in-law goes again), our only options are get two connected rooms, which is ok, although I read they can't guarantee you connecting rooms when you book, or book a deluxe suite or villa, and then you're looking at a minimum of $10k for a week's trip. I just wish they had something in the moderate range, which was a suite large enough for more than 6 people. I was reading how they are opening up a new resort in 2012 which will all be family suites; but again, they are designed to sleep 6 people. Our family of 7 (or even 8) could very easily be accommodated in the Ft. Wilderness cabins again, as all my kids are 8 and under and can share beds or sleep on the couch, but Disney won't let us do that.

On a side note, forgive me if this was mentioned, but they are already offering free Dining plans on trips into the beginning of next summer for select dates, if you book a 5 day-4 night stay at a Moderate and up resort. Although that's shorter than we would like to go, we might check into that.

A few random thoughts:

4. Speaking of meeting characters - they will sign autographs and take pictures. Take advantage of this. You will thank me later. Tip...buy an oversize pen (one of those giant 12" pens) and an autograph book from Walmart or Dollar General before your trip. Many of the characters have giant gloves on and the oversized pen really helps.5. Epcot is HUGE. Wear comfortable shoes.

We spent a lot of our time standing in line to do this. I mean A LOT of time and my daughter loved it. LOVED IT. At first I was like what a waste of time but meeting her "rockstars" was awesome.I would suggest even if you think they can walk BRING A STROLLER. My daughter was 4 when we went and a stroller is a must!!!
IMO one of the best spots for this (for the main characters) is the one in Epcot. You wait for a bit, inside, get cartoons, and you get Mickey, then Minnie, Then Donald, then Pluto, then Goofy (usually, sometimes mix in a daisy rather than Pluto).But the wait is usually around a half hour and you get all of the main characters if you have not seen them yet and get to wait in an airconditioned spot with TV playing old disney cartoons.

My only gripe with Disney is that they make it tougher on large families. With all the resort options that they provide, you'd think they would have something (other than getting 2 rooms) for families of more than 6 that is not in the deluxe price range.

We went last summer with our 3 kids and my mother-in-law. We got a cabin at Fort Wilderness and it worked out great. We are now in the process of adopting 2 more kids, who are living with us now as foster children until the adoption was finalized, and we were thinking about trying to go back next summer so they could experience it as well. But now with 7 (and possibly 8 if the mother-in-law goes again), our only options are get two connected rooms, which is ok, although I read they can't guarantee you connecting rooms when you book, or book a deluxe suite or villa, and then you're looking at a minimum of $10k for a week's trip. I just wish they had something in the moderate range, which was a suite large enough for more than 6 people. I was reading how they are opening up a new resort in 2012 which will all be family suites; but again, they are designed to sleep 6 people. Our family of 7 (or even 8) could very easily be accommodated in the Ft. Wilderness cabins again, as all my kids are 8 and under and can share beds or sleep on the couch, but Disney won't let us do that.

On a side note, forgive me if this was mentioned, but they are already offering free Dining plans on trips into the beginning of next summer for select dates, if you book a 5 day-4 night stay at a Moderate and up resort. Although that's shorter than we would like to go, we might check into that.
New resort is being built. Suites will still only hold 6 people, but they are being listed as a "value" resort:New Disney Resort

A few random thoughts:

IMO one of the best spots for this (for the main characters) is the one in Epcot. You wait for a bit, inside, get cartoons, and you get Mickey, then Minnie, Then Donald, then Pluto, then Goofy (usually, sometimes mix in a daisy rather than Pluto).But the wait is usually around a half hour and you get all of the main characters if you have not seen them yet and get to wait in an airconditioned spot with TV playing old disney cartoons.
I should ammend that, we never waited longer than probably 20 or 30 minutes but we filled her autograph book easily. There were a few good spots, inside the art studio was good. We had lot of fun doing it but the time adds up :goodposting:

My only gripe with Disney is that they make it tougher on large families. With all the resort options that they provide, you'd think they would have something (other than getting 2 rooms) for families of more than 6 that is not in the deluxe price range. We went last summer with our 3 kids and my mother-in-law. We got a cabin at Fort Wilderness and it worked out great. We are now in the process of adopting 2 more kids, who are living with us now as foster children until the adoption was finalized, and we were thinking about trying to go back next summer so they could experience it as well. But now with 7 (and possibly 8 if the mother-in-law goes again), our only options are get two connected rooms, which is ok, although I read they can't guarantee you connecting rooms when you book, or book a deluxe suite or villa, and then you're looking at a minimum of $10k for a week's trip. I just wish they had something in the moderate range, which was a suite large enough for more than 6 people. I was reading how they are opening up a new resort in 2012 which will all be family suites; but again, they are designed to sleep 6 people. Our family of 7 (or even 8) could very easily be accommodated in the Ft. Wilderness cabins again, as all my kids are 8 and under and can share beds or sleep on the couch, but Disney won't let us do that. On a side note, forgive me if this was mentioned, but they are already offering free Dining plans on trips into the beginning of next summer for select dates, if you book a 5 day-4 night stay at a Moderate and up resort. Although that's shorter than we would like to go, we might check into that.
This is why we rented a house about 10 minutes from the park. 5 bedroom house, with pool I think ran 1800 for 10 days. We had 9 people.

My only gripe with Disney is that they make it tougher on large families. With all the resort options that they provide, you'd think they would have something (other than getting 2 rooms) for families of more than 6 that is not in the deluxe price range. We went last summer with our 3 kids and my mother-in-law. We got a cabin at Fort Wilderness and it worked out great. We are now in the process of adopting 2 more kids, who are living with us now as foster children until the adoption was finalized, and we were thinking about trying to go back next summer so they could experience it as well. But now with 7 (and possibly 8 if the mother-in-law goes again), our only options are get two connected rooms, which is ok, although I read they can't guarantee you connecting rooms when you book, or book a deluxe suite or villa, and then you're looking at a minimum of $10k for a week's trip. I just wish they had something in the moderate range, which was a suite large enough for more than 6 people. I was reading how they are opening up a new resort in 2012 which will all be family suites; but again, they are designed to sleep 6 people. Our family of 7 (or even 8) could very easily be accommodated in the Ft. Wilderness cabins again, as all my kids are 8 and under and can share beds or sleep on the couch, but Disney won't let us do that. On a side note, forgive me if this was mentioned, but they are already offering free Dining plans on trips into the beginning of next summer for select dates, if you book a 5 day-4 night stay at a Moderate and up resort. Although that's shorter than we would like to go, we might check into that.
This is why we rented a house about 10 minutes from the park. 5 bedroom house, with pool I think ran 1800 for 10 days. We had 9 people.
Yeah, I know that there are great deals to be had off Disney property. I love the convenience of staying on-site, especially flying in and being transported right to the resort without having to worry about renting a car, etc. But economically, it is definitely we might need to look into this time around.

We booked a 3 bedroom treehouse at the Saratoga, would have been pretty pricey but without any discount I think we would be looking at $5k all things included.

Well guys, I've been back from Disney about a month now, and our family is still in the post-disney depression. I hadn't been since I was about 9, so I didn't know how we would like it.

But Disney knows how to do vacations, and we had such an awesome time. It's amazing that a place that in truth has rides that aren't that much better than you'll find at a six flags is so popular, but Disney dominates the details, and you find yourself wanting more when you leave...which is exactly how they want it.

I have three smallish but useful tips for travellers:

1. When you leave Disney after the firework show, and the monorail system is packed, don't follow the sheep. We were amazed. 99% of people waited in a gargantuan line to get on the "Express Monorail" that goes straight to the Transportation center. We hopped on the other tram, that makes stops at each resort. There are two stops before the transportation center. But the key here is that there was NO LINE. We were amazed. I don't know if people think that they can't get on the other tram or what....but it honestly saves a ton of time.

2. Unless you are going to the Magic Kingdom, drive your car. Now I went in October, so the crowds aren't quite as bad as the summer rush I'm sure...perhaps driving a car is a nightmare in June, but if you are going and it's not peak times, drive your car to animal kingdom, epcot and HS. It's not uncommon to sit there for 15-20 minutes and wait for a bus. I mean you walked all day, what's another football field or two to get to your car. Walk there, shed some of the 5k calories you ate that day, and you'll again save valuable time.

3. Disney Parade: ok, you are going to have to do the parade at least once if you have kids. My advice is this: Do it on Sunday night. (Get their early too unless you want to hold your kid on your shoulders for 30 excruciating minutes) Why? Because your goal is to come back to Disney on Wednesday night. While the entire park is watching the parade, make your way to Toon Town. Why? Go into Mickey's house (or Minnie's, I can't remember which) and go out the back and to the "judging booth". We went back there and guess what, Mickey and Minnie were back there with absolutely NO line. I think they even had to put their heads back on because when we walked up, the lady told us to give them a minute, as there was no one around. Then we went to the store in Toon Town that has the princesses and fairies in it. Same thing: No lines. Those lines are usually 45 minutes to an hour, and we got in and out.

Well guys, I've been back from Disney about a month now, and our family is still in the post-disney depression. I hadn't been since I was about 9, so I didn't know how we would like it.

But Disney knows how to do vacations, and we had such an awesome time. It's amazing that a place that in truth has rides that aren't that much better than you'll find at a six flags is so popular, but Disney dominates the details, and you find yourself wanting more when you leave...which is exactly how they want it.

I have three smallish but useful tips for travellers:

1. When you leave Disney after the firework show, and the monorail system is packed, don't follow the sheep. We were amazed. 99% of people waited in a gargantuan line to get on the "Express Monorail" that goes straight to the Transportation center. We hopped on the other tram, that makes stops at each resort. There are two stops before the transportation center. But the key here is that there was NO LINE. We were amazed. I don't know if people think that they can't get on the other tram or what....but it honestly saves a ton of time.

2. Unless you are going to the Magic Kingdom, drive your car. Now I went in October, so the crowds aren't quite as bad as the summer rush I'm sure...perhaps driving a car is a nightmare in June, but if you are going and it's not peak times, drive your car to animal kingdom, epcot and HS. It's not uncommon to sit there for 15-20 minutes and wait for a bus. I mean you walked all day, what's another football field or two to get to your car. Walk there, shed some of the 5k calories you ate that day, and you'll again save valuable time.

3. Disney Parade: ok, you are going to have to do the parade at least once if you have kids. My advice is this: Do it on Sunday night. (Get their early too unless you want to hold your kid on your shoulders for 30 excruciating minutes) Why? Because your goal is to come back to Disney on Wednesday night. While the entire park is watching the parade, make your way to Toon Town. Why? Go into Mickey's house (or Minnie's, I can't remember which) and go out the back and to the "judging booth". We went back there and guess what, Mickey and Minnie were back there with absolutely NO line. I think they even had to put their heads back on because when we walked up, the lady told us to give them a minute, as there was no one around. Then we went to the store in Toon Town that has the princesses and fairies in it. Same thing: No lines. Those lines are usually 45 minutes to an hour, and we got in and out.
We hit Toon Town - first thing same for us, no waiting. Princess was about 10 minutes :lmao:

Yeah, I know that there are great deals to be had off Disney property. I love the convenience of staying on-site, especially flying in and being transported right to the resort without having to worry about renting a car, etc. But economically, it is definitely we might need to look into this time around.
Have you looked in renting Vacation Club points? You can get a 2 Bedroom villa which sleeps 8-9 for less than $3K for a week.

Leaving tomorrow morning. Weather turned from highs of 80 and lows of 60 to highs of 60-70 and lows of 40.

ANy last minute tips?

Leaving tomorrow morning. Weather turned from highs of 80 and lows of 60 to highs of 60-70 and lows of 40. ANy last minute tips?
;) Don't stress!! The worst thing you can do is stress out if something doesn't go as planned.. Just enjoy it and "go with the flow".. HAVE FUN!!! :thumbup:

Have you looked in renting Vacation Club points? You can get a 2 Bedroom villa which sleeps 8-9 for less than $3K for a week.
We just got back last week, we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower.It was 8 of us total, and we had plenty of room.

Leaving tomorrow morning. Weather turned from highs of 80 and lows of 60 to highs of 60-70 and lows of 40. ANy last minute tips?
Pack some hoodies & jeans & you'll own the nighttime shows. Had cooler temps on one of out trips there. The parks crowds were average during the day, but below average for the nighttime shows. We just got the kids hot cocoas instead of popcorn. The animals were very active over at AK with the cooler weather too.

Heading out there in June...yes, will be busy and hot...but still darn fun.

Ended up finding a house to rent for the week for just under $1k for 12 of us. Plenty of room (5 bedrooms..2 with kings, 1 with a queen, and the other 2 have 2 twins) and a private pool.

3 miles from Disney basically.

Another awesome trip has come to a close.

Got down there on Black Friday and hit up some Orlando Outlets including the Disney outlet. Solid deals on a whole host of stuff. The parks were packed all day as the holiday crowd was still there but we managed to hit EPCOT for some fun in the countries, some food in France, China and Mexico.

Saturday was still a little on the crowded side but we started the day in the Magic Kingdom and managed to walk onto Pirates, slam out the Haunted Mansion and get through almost all of Fantasy Land by lunchtime. Quick rest time back at hotel to regroup then back to EPCOT where we hit Test Track for the first of 15 times - son finally wanted to do it and loved it so much he became addicted. Early dinner at Le'Celier Steakhouse in Canada - the Filet Migeon with mushroom rissoto is simply heavenly, and the Maple Creme' Brulee' is even better. It's the kind of meal you eat and enjoy and when it's gone you are noticebly depressed because you want more. Made out way through England (beer) France (wine) (crepes) and America (funnel cake) and proceeded to watch the Candelight Processional with Isabela Rosalini. Her accent was a little annoying in parts but she did a good job. We also managed to hear Peterman from Seinfeld when he did his show and Corbe Bernsen do his. Both solid. Finished the day with Norway and Mexico rides, beer in both, staring at the hot women they import from both countries, another run at Test Track (we abused the fast pass system like there was no tomorrow) and then ended the night with Illuminations - still by far the best fireworks show I have ever seen - and with the extended holiday ending even more awesome.

Sunday was Disney Studios all day. If it was there we did it. Got the whole park done. Crowds by now are back to the levels we expect. Walk on almost everything. Did Great Movie Ride a billion times, Lights Motors Action was awesome as usual. The Osborne Family Lights are still amazing.

Monday was an interesting day. We hit Animal Kingdom in the morning. Place was barren. We walked on to Kali River Rapids - which never happens - and when we finished the ride no one was in line so we stayed on and went right through a second running. Could have even done a third but we were so soaked that we needed to walk and airdry. Went over to the tour and again pretty much walked on and hit that. Did a few more small things then ended our time there. We aren't huge fans of that park so we usually only do it for half a day. Just not our thing. In the afternoon we went to Magic Kingdom and the place was packed. No explanation - just packed. Totally unfun. We couldn't take it so we monorailed over to EPCOT where it was a breeze. Hit Spaceship Earth a couple times, much of Innovations and ended with our dinner reservation in Whispering Canyon - another awesome meal. I highly recommend asking for ketchup as always.

Rest of the week was basically solid, walk onto everything, at MK, EPCOT and Studios. I can recite every sign in Test Track we did it so much. Spaceship Earth as well - we hadn't been there since they redid the ride and my son loved the new ending.

Friday the MK was packed as they were filming their Christmas parade. You can't move in that park when they do that down Mainstreet, but if you can get through Mainstreet, the lands are pretty empty. We walked on to everything and hit all the major ones before 11, when the parade was done filming and the park looked like New Dehli at rush hour (total people count wise). We went over to the Studios again after that, abused everything there again and ended the day with Fantasmic.

Just another solid awesome trip. Already can't wait to go back.

There is a resort called 'reunion'. It is about 20 minsoutside of orlando with easy access to the highways. It was built to be a high end luxury/golf resort. My extended family has been going there for the past two years and it is awesome. Anything you end up renting there is super cheap and it is high end luxury. The houses are all mansions with outdoor kitchens and pools and the condos are super sized with a full bath and 42 inch flatscreen in each room! I would look it up and then look to rent from an outside agency. Most of the owners are British and Irish rich people who built at the height of the real estate boom and have lost their ###. They are pretty much renting therm out at cut rate prices. The resort is also kid friendly, there are many pools, a lazy river, activities and what not. You will even save yourself the hassle of having to go to Disney for a couple of the days...it is that awesome.This is why we rented a house about 10 minutes from the park. 5 bedroom house, with pool I think ran 1800 for 10 days. We had 9 people.

I'm here now staying down the street thinking of going m-w this week depending on if my son stays healthy or not.

Users who are viewing this thread