What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W17 - Detroit V Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

This may be the best Steelers special teams unit I have ever seen. Definitely the strongest since the Bobby April days at the very least.

A team couldn't of asked for a better schedule to finish out the year. Before week 16 they needed to win out. Their opponents: Browns and Lions. Couldn't get any easier...

The wheels on the BUS
Are averaging 3.3 YPC this season. Impressive.
He's a short-yardage guy a lot of times. He can still run pretty well all things considered, but he doesn't have enough left to start a bunch of games in a row.He's also the same guy who ran 17 times for over 100 yards and 2 TDs against the Bears a few weeks ago.

Definitely an uninspiring performance so far. I think they took this game lightly and didn't start playing until they were smacked in the mouth.Ben hasn't looked sharp throwing the ball, but Parker has looked good.

The wheels on the BUS
He's a short-yardage guy a lot of times. He can still run pretty well all things considered, but he doesn't have enough left to start a bunch of games in a row.He's also the same guy who ran 17 times for over 100 yards and 2 TDs against the Bears a few weeks ago.
Over a 16-game season, having one great half and not doing much aside from a few short yardage scores equates to a pretty mediocre season. His half against the Bears was an exception, not the norm for him.

And a big fat 0 for points
Yeah, Steelers offense has stunk so far. If not for Bettis and the Special Teams, this game would be 21-0 Lions.
This is a classic example of how people overrate Bettis. He has 3 carries for 8 yards. Parker is the one who is running the ball well. Bettis has two short scores, but the Steelers offense is moving the ball because of Parker, not Bettis.

The wheels on the BUS
Over a 16-game season, having one great half and not doing much aside from a few short yardage scores equates to a pretty mediocre season. His half against the Bears was an exception, not the norm for him.
LOL, you do realize that his role on the team is the short-yardage back and he gets the occasional carry or series just to keep him involved, right?He's a 33 year old power-back in his 13th NFL season. ANYTHING he gives the team at this point in his career is a bonus, and he's done very well in the roles he's been given. If that's a "mediocre" season for a guy like him, so be it. He easily could've retired by now, but he's also taken a large role in mentoring Willie Parker this year. He's part of the reason Parker is running more north-south now than he was earlier in the season.

Of course the Steelers are moving the ball because of Parker. Bettis has punched in 2 TDs, because even at this age, he's still very difficult to stop at the goal-line.

Edit to add... make that 3 TDs, and Parker is looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:
And a big fat 0 for points
Yeah, Steelers offense has stunk so far. If not for Bettis and the Special Teams, this game would be 21-0 Lions.
This is a classic example of how people overrate Bettis. He has 3 carries for 8 yards. Parker is the one who is running the ball well. Bettis has two short scores, but the Steelers offense is moving the ball because of Parker, not Bettis.
Bettis is primarily a short yardage back -- not sure what more to expect out of a guy who only comes in on 3rd/4th and short. Like you said, he has 4 carries and 3 TDs. But that's 21 points. Parker could have the same number of TDs but he might not. And Bettis' first TD was no gimme -- he went across the goal line after contact on 4th and 1. Don't get me wrong, I like Willie Parker -- and he shouldered the load on that first drive of the second half -- but Bettis fills an equally valuable role.

I see the Steelers under Cowher are playing another inspired game in a must-win home game.  :P
good call. :bye:
I guess winning by 14 pts is not good enough for the Ghost.Be prepared for BGP dumping on Ben this week though. I'm surprised he's not made an appearance already.

You have to admit Pittsburgh didn't play very well today even though they won. If that game had been against a good team, they likely would have lost. Fortunately, they were playing a team assembled by Matt Millen. :lmao: As for Bettis, he gets plenty of non-short yardage carries, so this business about his YPC being low because of that is bogus. I will give him credit, though, for still being a decent NFL player despite his age and size.

You have to admit Pittsburgh didn't play very well today even though they won. If that game had been against a good team, they likely would have lost. Fortunately, they were playing a team assembled by Matt Millen. :lmao:

As for Bettis, he gets plenty of non-short yardage carries, so this business about his YPC being low because of that is bogus. I will give him credit, though, for still being a decent NFL player despite his age and size.
The Steelers defense played a poor game, though they played better in the 2nd half. The Steelers special teams were awesome -- the best I've seen them play in quite a while.

The Steelers offense was so-so. The running game was great, the o-line and RBs had a great day. The passing game was not. Ben's numbers were terrible but the WRs let him down. Lots of dropped balls, especially the one dropped by Ward in the endzone and another that Randel El allowed to be picked.

Overall it wasn't their best effort but the Steelers have a tendency to play to the level of their opponent. The result was a win by 14 pts so alls well that ends well.

As an aside I was at the game and the Steelers really did a nice sendoff for the Bus. :thumbup:

You have to admit Pittsburgh didn't play very well today even though they won. If that game had been against a good team, they likely would have lost. Fortunately, they were playing a team assembled by Matt Millen. :lmao:

As for Bettis, he gets plenty of non-short yardage carries, so this business about his YPC being low because of that is bogus. I will give him credit, though, for still being a decent NFL player despite his age and size.
Nope, Steelers didn't play their best game today. After they fell behind 14-7. they outscored the Lions 28-7 from that point on, so I'll take it.Bettis had only 100 total carries this year enterting today, and a lot of his carries DID come in 3rd and short or goal-line situations. Combine that with the fact that he's never had breakaway speed, his age, and the fact that he's a RB who always liked to wear down defenses, and he's been very, very solid this year at the role the Steelers use him in.

Power backs like him aren't going to be quite as effective getting 6-8 carries per game, but he's very difficult to stop inside the 5 yard line.

The Steelers offense was so-so. The running game was great, the o-line and RBs had a great day. The passing game was not. Ben's numbers were terrible but the WRs let him down. Lots of dropped balls, especially the one dropped by Ward in the endzone and another that Randel El allowed to be picked.
:goodposting: Wilson also dropped one that hit him in the hands on a crossing route. And Morgan dropped a couple after grabbing them but before tucking them away, though they did call pass interference on one of those plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread