What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush might not enter 2006 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
NCAA | Bush far from a decision on the draftTue, 10 Jan 2006 16:50:17 -0800NBC Sports.com reports Southern California RB Reggie Bush told the Los Angeles Times that he is "far" from making his decision on whether to return for his senior year at Southern California or enter the 2006 NFL Draft. Bush met with USC head coach Pete Carroll and agent David Dunn for about one hour on campus Monday, Jan. 9, the Times said. "I'm still trying to figure everything out and put everything in perspective before I make my decision," Bush said after the meeting.

Bush is posturing, but stranger things have happened. He could easily take out a hefty insurance policy on himself [as Leinart did this year] to insulate him from major injury next year. The question he needs to ask himself is, will the teams he's trying to avoid this year [i.e., the Saints and Texans] assuredly be in a position to not pick that high again next year.

I think what he means is, "####, not Houston!"
Ya, but either way, whenever he's drafted, he will go to the worst team, so I don't understand why he might be trying to avoid this years draft. Next year, he'll be drafted by the worst team then. If thats his strategy, of course...

What day is the deadline that he has to declare?
By this Friday.
He has until Monday.
I heard the date was the 15th, which is a Sunday.Postponing the deadline to Monday would then make sense.

There's no good reason for him to stay..... he's maxed out his value. If he really wants to avoid certain teams, he could pull an "Eli" (used to be an "Elway") and say he won't play in Houston....

By this Friday.
He has until Monday.
I heard the date was the 15th, which is a Sunday.Postponing the deadline to Monday would then make sense.

There's no good reason for him to stay..... he's maxed out his value. If he really wants to avoid certain teams, he could pull an "Eli" (used to be an "Elway") and say he won't play in Houston....
I wouldn's sweat it too much. GBill is notorious for posting this "breaking news" propogana. I would bet on the fact that Bush enters the draft!! And Ca$hes in .... while the going is good and he is GuaRaNtEed the #1 overall pick, which is where the money is.

By this Friday.
He has until Monday.

I wouldn's sweat it too much. GBill is notorious for posting this "breaking news" propogana. I would bet on the fact that Bush enters the draft!! And Ca$hes in .... while the going is good and he is GuaRaNtEed the #1 overall pick, which is where the money is.
Most thought the same thing about Leinart last year. Maybe Reggie wants to work on his game? Prove that he can run inside, or maybe he isn't physically ready? ;)

What more does he have left to prove when he's virtually assured of being the top overall pick? Even if he proves more he can't move up any further.If he stays another year I don't think he's even the first RB taken next year (Peterson) much less the top overall pick.

I know this is going to be seen as politically incorrect, but I gotta think that the top three guys are all scared as s##t to get drafted by New Orleans. From what I understand, the conditions there are still barely livable. It's gotta be tough to think about going from clubbing at night on the Sunset Strip to changing uniforms at the girls locker room at some high school outside New Orleans.We are going to see a big issue with this in free agency as well.

The main reason to go to college is gain the skills needed to go out and get a job. he's done that. Move on Reggie, tell me another employee who will pay you millions of dollars before you even show up for your first day on the job. Anyone who's telling Bush to stay in school THEIR best interest in mine not Reggie's

paraphrased from

Mel Kiper Jr. referencing Vince Young but it applies to every NFL prospect

I know this is going to be seen as politically incorrect, but I gotta think that the top three guys are all scared as s##t to get drafted by New Orleans. From what I understand, the conditions there are still barely livable.

It's gotta be tough to think about going from clubbing at night on the Sunset Strip to changing uniforms at the girls locker room at some high school outside New Orleans.

We are going to see a big issue with this in free agency as well.
:bs: Don't buy in to Tom Benson's propaganda.

There are isolated sections of the city that are still uninhabitable.

However, the players practice in Metairie. Metairie is fine. The players live in Kenner and LaPlace. Kenner and LaPlace are fine. The players go "clubbing" downtown. Downtown is fine.

He wants Houston to start the dealing now.He wants to be the #1 pick.It comes down to get as much as you can. Or show me the :moneybag:

College is the best time of many people's life. Not sure why it is such a bad thing if Bush decides to stay. Remain a kid one more year, be BMOC for another year, chance to get your second Heisman, chance to lead your team to a National Title w/o Leinert and White. There are many more reasons he could want to stay. There must be a lot of people here with 1.01 in their upcoming rookie draft.

The more I hear out of Houston...the more I believe, depsite paying Carr, that Young will be their pick.John McClain from the Houston Chronicle is a regular guest on local sports talk here. Basically stating the fans are calling for Young for several reasons.One big one is that the fans, and even the owner of the Texans...do not want to miss out on him...and then have their native son come back to Houson every year to kick their ### playing for the Titans.

If he stays, he loses millions and likely wouldn't be the first RB taken in next year's draft.
why not? If he's as "can't miss", "best rb in years", etc. what difference would a year make (assuming he doesn't get hurt)?

With the "life" expectancy of an NFL RB being as short as it is Bush will enter the NFL Draft. As big as his first contract will be, his 2nd one will likely be bigger. Might as well get the clock rolling on NFL contract #2 and his NFL pension.Nobody's mentioned it and I'm not sure of the ramifications myself but does the NFL's potential un-capped year in 2007 play into this? If there isn't a rookie pool he'd obviously be free to negotiate a bigger deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like he's milking the decision to be a news story. His ego is probably bruised after VY stole some of his buzz.

Who's the USC QB in 2006?With (I think) 2 OLmen leaving, TE, White....etc leaving should he stay???He can only lower his stock by staying.

If he stays, the Texans take Young, then tank the season, and get the #1 pick next year, allowing them to get Bush. Those two on the same team might not turn the franchise around, but it would be fun to watch.

If he stays, he loses millions and likely wouldn't be the first RB taken in next year's draft.
why not? If he's as "can't miss", "best rb in years", etc. what difference would a year make (assuming he doesn't get hurt)?
1) Likelyhood of more "prototypical" NFL backs in next years draft, including Adrian Peterson. 2) Higher rated QBs possibly in the draft next season, including Brady Quinn. 3) Past history (recent) has proven as much. His value is at its peak, much like Lienart's was last year.JMHO

1) Likelyhood of more "prototypical" NFL backs in next years draft, including Adrian Peterson. 2) Higher rated QBs possibly in the draft next season, including Brady Quinn. 3) Past history (recent) has proven as much. His value is at its peak, much like Lienart's was last year.JMHO
If you think Quinn will rate any higher than Leinart and Young are right now?There are more "prototypical" NFL backs in this draft....yet Bush is still up there with them.

I think the only reason his value would go down is by injury...or because that USC team just may not be as good (though they seem to just reload these days)

I know this is going to be seen as politically incorrect, but I gotta think that the top three guys are all scared as s##t to get drafted by New Orleans. From what I understand, the conditions there are still barely livable.

It's gotta be tough to think about going from clubbing at night on the Sunset Strip to changing uniforms at the girls locker room at some high school outside New Orleans.

We are going to see a big issue with this in free agency as well.
:bs: Don't buy in to Tom Benson's propaganda.

There are isolated sections of the city that are still uninhabitable.

However, the players practice in Metairie. Metairie is fine. The players live in Kenner and LaPlace. Kenner and LaPlace are fine. The players go "clubbing" downtown. Downtown is fine.
Well, I think perception has probably not caught up to the reality. Up in New York, we are constantly bombarded by front page articles in the NYT about the "rebuilding" of New Orleans.I honestly think that New Orleans is going to have an uphill battle to recruit free agents. I can't see veteran players with families uprooting them to New Orleans unless the offer is much better than that from other teams. Most people are not getting accurate information on the current state of affairs down there & still think things are bad.

Bush floated a soft preemptive comment at media day last week. A reporter from Houston asked Bush about his feelings towards Houston and the Texans. Bush said he was not thrilled about the prospects of playing in that city for that franchise. I heard it as a radio sound bite so, sorry, there is no link.I agree with J. Wood. Bush has probably had a little coaching from an agent. Eventhough it would be a clear violation of the NCAA rules you are naive if you think Bush does not already have professional assistance and career management behind him. Bush has put on his poker face and has begun playing the game. The ball is currently in the Texans' court but, if he is a lock for the #1 spot this year, I think the kid comes out. He'll just make it impossible for the Texans or, perhaps, the Saints to sign him by pulling an Eli or even Elway and forcing a trade. B. Quinn with another year in a professional offense or a healthy All Day Peterson on a more experienced Sooner team, opinion, will push Bush for next year's #1 slot.

Bush floated a soft preemptive comment at media day last week. A reporter from Houston asked Bush about his feelings towards Houston and the Texans. Bush said he was not thrilled about the prospects of playing in that city for that franchise. I heard it as a radio sound bite so, sorry, there is no link.

I agree with J. Wood. Bush has probably had a little coaching from an agent. Eventhough it would be a clear violation of the NCAA rules you are naive if you think Bush does not already have professional assistance and career management behind him. Bush has put on his poker face and has begun playing the game. The ball is currently in the Texans' court but, if he is a lock for the #1 spot this year, I think the kid comes out. He'll just make it impossible for the Texans or, perhaps, the Saints to sign him by pulling an Eli or even Elway and forcing a trade.

B. Quinn with another year in a professional offense or a healthy All Day Peterson on a more experienced Sooner team, opinion, will push Bush for next year's #1 slot.
:goodposting: Exactly.

Houston fans are already talking now like Vince is the pick. I have even heard a few on the radio who look forward to the Texans losing next season, getting the first pick again and taking another Houston product with the first pick.

He'll just make it impossible for the Texans or, perhaps, the Saints to sign him by pulling an Eli or even Elway and forcing a trade.
Can Bush play baseball? That's what Elway threatened the Colts with. Baltimore was so stupid in their dealings with Elway, that if they had just held their position with him he would have signed with the Colts, because he wasn't worth a crap at baseball. Really, he wasn't good enough in baseball and would have played football no matter what team he was on. Maybe he would have sit out a year, but I'm not so sure the rules were the same back then, meaning I'm not so sure the Colts wouldn't have owned his rights the next year. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.

The look of every dynasty owner that has already overpaid to acquire the #1 rookie pick in their league, assuming Bush would be there = :shock:

NCAA | Bush far from a decision on the draft

Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:50:17 -0800

NBC Sports.com reports Southern California RB Reggie Bush told the Los Angeles Times that he is "far" from making his decision on whether to return for his senior year at Southern California or enter the 2006 NFL Draft. Bush met with USC head coach Pete Carroll and agent David Dunn for about one hour on campus Monday, Jan. 9, the Times said. "I'm still trying to figure everything out and put everything in perspective before I make my decision," Bush said after the meeting.
Wouldn't he no longer be eligable to play NCAA football once he has hired an agent?

Can Bush play baseball?
No, but he does have the option of heading back to school, if he does not declare, or sitting out the season. I just remember Elway being a real I am going to take my toys and go home type baby about that situation. I was making more of a reference of how Elway handled the situation. Bush does not have the option of seeking a baseball contract but he could hold the Texans hostage in a prolonged holdout. Think about this for a second. Young has reached icon status here in Texas. He is coming out. He is from Houston. Young is not what the Texans franchise needs, opinion, on the field. Oh, Young would be good for business but not necessarily good for the business conducted on the field. McNair, Reeves and Casserly draft Bush, while passing on Young. As difficult as it would be to pass on Young, they make the smart football decision. Fans get cranky. Then, Bush starts his hold out. Now, fans get pissed. The new car smell started fading towards the end of last season at Reliant. This could either turn into something very good or very bad for the Texans franchise.

Bush does not have the same option Elway had but he has plenty of leverage for negotiaions.

Wouldn't he no longer be eligable to play NCAA football once he has hired and agent?
Technically, yes, he would be. As an athlete, there are some things you can do, while working through and with the NCAA, to test your status among the pro market before to making a declaration. Conversely, there is plenty that can and is done behind closed doors that would be a violation of NCAA rules but it goes on every season.

Wouldn't he no longer be eligable to play NCAA football once he has hired and agent?
Technically, yes, he would be. As an athlete, there are some things you can do, while working through and with the NCAA, to test your status among the pro market before to making a declaration. Conversely, there is plenty that can and is done behind closed doors that would be a violation of NCAA rules but it goes on every season.
Thanks, I thought he had already hired this Dunn guy. But I may be mistaken.

Bush has put on his poker face and has begun playing the game. The ball is currently in the Texans' court but, if he is a lock for the #1 spot this year, I think the kid comes out.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm not understanding what ball is in the Texan's court since Bush needs to announce by the 15th and Houston needn't do anything by that date. They obviously aren't going to trade away his rights in the next 4 days and anything they say publically is marginally believable being so premature.

Don't worry, if he has smart people around him, he is as good as gone. I wouldn't send my kid to Pete Carroll if he convinces Bush to stay...(unless of course, he and the USC boosters have already put a million or two in my kids pocket, which could explain Bush's wavering)

(unless of course, he and the USC boosters have already put a million or two in my kids pocket, which could explain Bush's wavering)
Why would he settle for the same $1-$2 mil all USC players are getting from boosters when he can get $50 mil?

Can you elaborate on this?
Yes, Bush has a very short time line to operate with over the next few days. Yes, there is a TON that will happen between now and April. Yes, there are not going to be any public statements made by either party, Bush or Texans, regarding the matter. Speaking from experience as a former player rep, I am going to go out on a limb and guess there is already a preliminary dialogue between the Texans and Bush's camp. Those convesations don't start at the NFL Combine. The questions of signability, intent and interest are probably on the table and being batted back and forth in a soft manner, given the date. However, it is far from premature to begin such talks.

If, then scenarios are being evaluated by both involved parties. Bush is slowly starting to make it clear he might not want to be part of the Texans franchise, opinion. I am suggesting the Texans now have a couple of days to conduct a risk assessment evaluation regarding Bush if he comes out.

Assuming Bush does declare, less than positive but extremely direct comments from him or his agent about not wanting to play for the Texans sees McNair and Co. lose leverage in any potential trade negotiations. The ROI value for Bush will begin to drop for the Texans. The team cannot afford to let that happen. Thus, the Texans do need to have a course of action plotted on what they will or will not do with Bush, if and when he makes his final declaration. That begins the minute Bush determines his eligibility for the draft.

The look of every dynasty owner that has already overpaid to acquire the #1 rookie pick in their league, assuming Bush would be there = :shock:
Sorry, I don't understand this statement. If they have the #1 overall pick, Bush WILL be there. If they wanted Bush they will get him. Even if he doesnt get drafted #1 overall in the NFL, it won't make him less valuable in FF.

The look of every dynasty owner that has already overpaid to acquire the #1 rookie pick in their league, assuming Bush would be there =  :shock:
Sorry, I don't understand this statement. If they have the #1 overall pick, Bush WILL be there. If they wanted Bush they will get him. Even if he doesnt get drafted #1 overall in the NFL, it won't make him less valuable in FF.
I think the point you were responding to was merely suggesting that **IF** Bush does decide to remain at USC for a final year (as is contemplated by a decision being "far off"), those who paid dearly for rookie 1.1 assuming he's coming out would be hosed. I don't think SJ was suggesting Bush wouldn't be available if he comes out as expected. Obviously he'd be there at 1.1 if he does.

Users who are viewing this thread