What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MIke McCarthy Offered (1 Viewer)

seahawk 17

Footballguy
Just reported on ESPN. I don't know how packer fans feel about this.I am unimpressed about his offensive coordinator skills, but he is sopose to be a good QB coach.Thoughts?

Just reported on ESPN. I don't know how packer fans feel about this.

I am unimpressed about his offensive coordinator skills, but he is sopose to be a good QB coach.

Thoughts?
He did a fabulous job creating an unstoppable force in that SanFran offense. And the Alex Smith/Tim Rattay development has been amazing. No reason at all that he shouldn't be first in line for this job.

Just reported on ESPN.  I don't know how packer fans feel about this.

I am unimpressed about his offensive coordinator skills, but he is sopose to be a good QB coach.

Thoughts?
He did a fabulous job creating an unstoppable force in that SanFran offense. And the Alex Smith/Tim Rattay development has been amazing. No reason at all that he shouldn't be first in line for this job.
Please. One season in San Francisco and it's all McCarthy's fault? Hardly....http://www.sf49ers.com/team/CoachesBio.asp?CoachID=77

With innovative game plans that feature both chain-moving power and quick-strike passing, McCarthy is widely known as one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. McCarthy is a reputed developer of quarterbacks, having tutored Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks.

McCarthy joins San Francisco after serving as the New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator since 2000. After leading the NFC in scoring in 2002 with 432 points and 49 touchdowns, the Saints had another record-breaking season in 2003. The 340 points the Saints scored that season was the eighth-highest in club history, and all four of the team’s scoring totals since 2000 under McCarthy rank in the club's all-time top 10. Under McCarthy’s direction, the New Orleans offensive unit set 10 team records and 25 individual records.

Until McCarthy's hiring, the Saints hadn't produced a 1,000-yard wide receiver in eight years, but under McCarthy, Joe Horn caught 437 passes for 6,289 yards and 45 touchdowns and was selected for four Pro Bowls over a five-year span. Also until 2000, the team hadn't generated a 1,000-yard performance from a running back in a decade. But a Saints' running back has since reached the milestone each of his last five seasons. Two runing backs, Ricky Williams and Deuce McCallister, achieved this honor.

Following the 2000 season, McCarthy was chosen as the NFC Assistant Coach of the Year by USA Today.While coaching quarterbacks at Green Bay in 1999, the Packers ranked seventh in the NFL in passing and ninth overall in total offense with quarterback Brett Favre passing for 4,091 yards.

McCarthy also spent six seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, serving as quarterbacks coach the last four years. As an offensive assistant in 1993-94, he worked closely with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana. As quarterbacks coach from 1995-98, McCarthy's signal callers threw just 52 interceptions - the lowest total in the AFC during that period despite Kansas City using three starting quarterbacks during that span (Steve Bono, Rich Gannon and Elvis Grbac).

Good post. Gotta take the long view on this one. He's been successful in the past.Unfortunately, he'll be judged by the 49r's debacle last season.That being said, he'll be hard pressed to find a better DC than Bates and I don't see that happening now.NW

I love the 'Mike Sherman was a relative unknown before the Packers hired him' analogy.By that rationale, the Chicago Cubs should hire former SS Ivan DeJesus to be their manager - and they'll win the World Series in '07. It worked with the White Sox with Ozzie Guillen.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:"GM Ted Thompson was personnel director under former general manager Ron Wolf during McCarthy's season in Green Bay and undoubtedly remembered Wolf's respect for McCarthy's ability. McCarthy also worked with personnel analyst John Shneider in Kansas City before coming to the Packers."His inerview on Sunday reportedly went very well. Now we'll see what kind of staff he can put together. Bates is under contract for another year (maybe 2?). It will be interesting to see if Bates wants to remain or if not, Thompson lets him out of his contract. Favre has a strong relationship with McCarthy so it will be interesting to see what develops there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread