What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marcus Vick Drafted? (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Someone will take a chance on Vick

By TIM DAHLBERG

AP Sports

Lawrence Phillips thought his chances would never run out, until he drove a car into some guys he had been playing touch football with and ended up with multiple counts of assault.

Maurice Clarett likely put an end to his chances, too, when he was charged with robbing two people outside an Ohio nightclub.

Marcus Vick isn't quite there yet, but that's only because the bar is set high for athletes with talent. Because of that, some NFL team likely will still take a chance on Vick , even when history shows it's not usually a good idea.

In the end, it seems, bad character always seems to triumph over great talent.

The St. Louis Rams couldn't figure that out when they drafted Phillips sixth in 1996 even though he beat up an ex-girlfriend while in college and drove drunk. Their faith in his legs over his character was rewarded when he lasted 25 games before being released for insubordination.

No problem, though, because the Miami Dolphins were ready to give him another chance, one that lasted until he was accused of hitting a woman in a nightclub.

When you're a star, extra chances come with the territory. Coaches and general managers will rationalize almost anything if it gets them a player who can win games.

And, really now, doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?

Clarett could have made a case for just that before he allegedly approached two people outside a bar, showed them a gun in his waistband and told them to empty their pockets.

Unfortunately for Clarett , he's well-known in Columbus, Ohio, which led to this exchange between the 911 dispatcher and one of the victims.

Dispatcher: "Ma'am, can you tell me what he looked like?"

Victim: "Oh, yeah. Maurice Clarett , I guess."

Vick will get another chance, too, even though he was charged with pointing a gun at some teenagers he thought insulted his girlfriend. Unless a judge decides a jail cell will be a better place for Vick than a football field, the NFL will come calling.

Virginia Tech finally washed its hands of Vick even before the latest incident, cutting its ties to him just four days after he stomped on the left calf of Louisville's defensive end Elvis Dumervil in the Gator Bowl.

But Vick should have been gone a long time ago. This was a player who was charged at various times with marijuana possession, furnishing alcohol to minors, having sex with a 15-year-old girl, and reckless driving.

This was also the most valuable player of a highly ranked team. And, because Vick was such a talent, Virginia Tech kept him even after he made an obscene gesture to fans at West Virginia in October and was caught driving with a suspended license in December.

If anything, Virginia Tech should be embarrassed it used Vick for its own purposes, waiting until after he helped the Hokies win their biggest game of the year before dumping him.

Vick 's latest encounter with the law was his most serious. He wasn't going to be a top draft pick. Now, he may not be drafted at all and will have to wait for an invitation to a training camp.

He'll get one. He has too much talent and, besides, he's Michael Vick 's brother. Maybe the Atlanta Falcons could use a good backup quarterback.

You can't help wondering, though, how badly this story will end. Will Vick spin even more out of control or will someone, maybe his brother, manage to convince him that even the most talented players have to follow society's rules.

Phillips never learned to do that.

Last August, he went to his former Nebraska coach, Tom Osborne, and asked for help in making it back to the pros.

Osborne said he told Phillips, who starred on the Huskers' 1994 and '95 national championship teams, that he probably had used up all of his chances.

"I think he pretty well had run the string out," Osborne said.

Because he's a talent, Marcus Vick still has some left.

At the rate he's going, though, they may not last long.

Tim Dahlberg is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at tdahlberg@ap.org

Someone will take a chance on Vick

By TIM DAHLBERG

AP Sports

Lawrence Phillips thought his chances would never run out, until he drove a car into some guys he had been playing touch football with and ended up with multiple counts of assault.

Maurice Clarett likely put an end to his chances, too, when he was charged with robbing two people outside an Ohio nightclub.

Marcus Vick isn't quite there yet, but that's only because the bar is set high for athletes with talent. Because of that, some NFL team likely will still take a chance on Vick , even when history shows it's not usually a good idea.

In the end, it seems, bad character always seems to triumph over great talent.

The St. Louis Rams couldn't figure that out when they drafted Phillips sixth in 1996 even though he beat up an ex-girlfriend while in college and drove drunk. Their faith in his legs over his character was rewarded when he lasted 25 games before being released for insubordination.

No problem, though, because the Miami Dolphins were ready to give him another chance, one that lasted until he was accused of hitting a woman in a nightclub.

When you're a star, extra chances come with the territory. Coaches and general managers will rationalize almost anything if it gets them a player who can win games.

And, really now, doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?

Clarett could have made a case for just that before he allegedly approached two people outside a bar, showed them a gun in his waistband and told them to empty their pockets.

Unfortunately for Clarett , he's well-known in Columbus, Ohio, which led to this exchange between the 911 dispatcher and one of the victims.

Dispatcher: "Ma'am, can you tell me what he looked like?"

Victim: "Oh, yeah. Maurice Clarett , I guess."

Vick will get another chance, too, even though he was charged with pointing a gun at some teenagers he thought insulted his girlfriend. Unless a judge decides a jail cell will be a better place for Vick than a football field, the NFL will come calling.

Virginia Tech finally washed its hands of Vick even before the latest incident, cutting its ties to him just four days after he stomped on the left calf of Louisville's defensive end Elvis Dumervil in the Gator Bowl.

But Vick should have been gone a long time ago. This was a player who was charged at various times with marijuana possession, furnishing alcohol to minors, having sex with a 15-year-old girl, and reckless driving.

This was also the most valuable player of a highly ranked team. And, because Vick was such a talent, Virginia Tech kept him even after he made an obscene gesture to fans at West Virginia in October and was caught driving with a suspended license in December.

If anything, Virginia Tech should be embarrassed it used Vick for its own purposes, waiting until after he helped the Hokies win their biggest game of the year before dumping him.

Vick 's latest encounter with the law was his most serious. He wasn't going to be a top draft pick. Now, he may not be drafted at all and will have to wait for an invitation to a training camp.

He'll get one. He has too much talent and, besides, he's Michael Vick 's brother. Maybe the Atlanta Falcons could use a good backup quarterback.

You can't help wondering, though, how badly this story will end. Will Vick spin even more out of control or will someone, maybe his brother, manage to convince him that even the most talented players have to follow society's rules.

Phillips never learned to do that.

Last August, he went to his former Nebraska coach, Tom Osborne, and asked for help in making it back to the pros.

Osborne said he told Phillips, who starred on the Huskers' 1994 and '95 national championship teams, that he probably had used up all of his chances.

"I think he pretty well had run the string out," Osborne said.

Because he's a talent, Marcus Vick still has some left.

At the rate he's going, though, they may not last long.

Tim Dahlberg is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at tdahlberg@ap.org
This makes me ill :X Yes, I know some desperate team will take a flier on the punk because they'll think they have the "better" of the Vick brothers. WHen this happens, I hope that that team implodes. When will they learn?

I'd take a bet that no draft pick other than a possible throw away in the 7th round is used on Vick.The guy is a much worse QB than his brother - who is mediocre - and he has a growing history of significant trouble. No credible GM wants to be called out for taking him or risking his current job on a loser like him.

It is one thing to have a RB who acts like a thug, it is another thing entirely to have a QB act that way. Character issues are much more of a problem when its the team-leader that is at issue.

Dispatcher: What did the person who pulled the gun on you look like?Victim: Well, like Ron Mexico's little brother, I guess

Dispatcher: What did the person who pulled the gun on you look like?

Victim: Well, like Ron Mexico's little brother, I guess
wearing a Falcons #7 jersey to make it impossible for him to be recognized

I'd take a bet that no draft pick other than a possible throw away in the 7th round is used on Vick.

The guy is a much worse QB than his brother - who is mediocre - and he has a growing history of significant trouble. No credible GM wants to be called out for taking him or risking his current job on a loser like him.
I agree with you. And I would hope the GM's would concur. I honestly read an article the other day that said Marcus "could be" the "better" QB of the two!!! Not that Mike is lighting it up or anything. I personally wouldn't want either one. But the outlook is gloomy. Lawrence Phillips, T.O., Maurice Clarrett, and Onterrio Smith are just a few of the countless others who seem to be given more than their fair share of 2nd chances no matter how disruptive their behavior was. As far as I know, T.O. didn't have off the field issues but he was a disruptive cancer to his teams nonetheless.

Vick will be drafted, I am not sure why people are saying otherwise .. this is the NFL , not the State Senate. Once he hits the combine he will be a first day pick.Vick so far has shown to be , for the lack of a better.. more offensive term, a DIRTBAG. The bashing on this guy is deserved but I would hope that the masses would really wish that this guy gets his life turned around before it is too late and he wastes his talent. He is young enough and has the resources to buy a clue.. hopefully he will.

Chris Landry, who is an extremely credible NFL source, was on the radio a couple days ago and said that no one he has spoken with is going to draft Vick. The talent level is not high enough to warrant the risk. Take it how you want, as Landry did not qualify how many teams he had spoken with regarding Vick. From my experience Landry is highly accurate. As far as the NFL combine is concerned, you have to be formally invited. It is not a come one, come all event. Considering all of the problems Vick has and does have, I doubt he gets an invitation from the NFL. The best he can hope for at this point would be big brother getting him a camp invite from the Falcons, opinion. Vick, as a draft pick, has a certain financial obligation tied to him, whereas, he would not as a camp body. The kid has problems and I do not feel a need to pile on, as you hate to see someone struggle, but I do not think someone just hands him one last chance in the NFL. He is going to have to work for a roster spot as a free agent, opinion, versus being given the security of a draft pick.

Users who are viewing this thread