What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread - Divisionals - New England V Denver (1 Viewer)

I'm unwilling to accept this as an 'end' to the Pats run. Nobody has won it every year, have they? There were lots of people who didn't think the Pats had a chance to make it to the playoffs before the season started, what with the loss of both their O and D coordinators, etc. They were an improving team in the last half, made the playoffs and came up short this year. Coulda been a lot worse. They're still the toughest team in their division. :thumbup:
This is true, but they've won zero SBs without Ty Law, Charlie Weis and Joe Andruzzi. Mangini, Bruschi and Givens might be gone after this year. McGinest will be 35, Dillon is just about done and and the heart of the Patriots the last few years -- Troy Brown and Rodney Harrison - will be 35 and 34 (and coming off season-ending surgery).The Pats of 2006 will be significantly different than the Pats of 2004.
They'll also have an offensive line and defensive backfield that's healthy, with playoff tested backups. As well as a healthy cap situation to fill gaps.Are you going to suggest that the Pats are in worse shape than the other AFC contenders for 2006?

Your anti-Pats schtick is cute, but don't lose TOTAL credibility tonight.
It remains to be seen whether or not the Pats will be a better or worse team next year (duh). But they are going to be a different team than the one that won a SB. Both coordinators gone (and perhaps a third coordinator), and key members of that team are in the twilight of their careers: Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, Ty Law (at best, he may not return to NE obviously).You'd be foolish to question the Pats ability to rebuild, but if they win they'll be winning with new guys. That's all I'm saying.

Pizza, Wings and Beer for the guys..........$60

Leather La-Z Boy recliner..........$500

60" LCD TV..........$3200

Patriots getting a butt kicking in the playoffs......... PRICELESS!!

:excited:
$3200 for a TV? Does it tell you who will win before the game even starts...if not...

What is Chris Berman talking about?

The Broncos ended one of the most fantastic runs in history today?

Didn't the Pats not even make the playoffs three years ago? And who is to say their run is over?
I'm fairly certain he's talking about the 10-0 postseason run, which is the best run of any coach or quarterback in NFL history. I think it's reasonable to cite the end of the Patriots's streak without necessarily saying it's the end for the Patriots. I can still hold out hope that the Patriots win a Superbowl next season, though, if only to make COlin admit that the Pats are a dynasty, after listening to his "Dynasties don't include non-playoff seasons" diatribes.
If Colin doesn't admit to this--which he shouldn't, because it's valid--are you resigning hope? I don't understand the connx here.
A and B conversation. C yourself out.
Then don't post it on a public forum Einstein.

I'm unwilling to accept this as an 'end' to the Pats run. Nobody has won it every year, have they? There were lots of people who didn't think the Pats had a chance to make it to the playoffs before the season started, what with the loss of both their O and D coordinators, etc. They were an improving team in the last half, made the playoffs and came up short this year. Coulda been a lot worse. They're still the toughest team in their division. :thumbup:
This is true, but they've won zero SBs without Ty Law, Charlie Weis and Joe Andruzzi. Mangini, Bruschi and Givens might be gone after this year. McGinest will be 35, Dillon is just about done and and the heart of the Patriots the last few years -- Troy Brown and Rodney Harrison - will be 35 and 34 (and coming off season-ending surgery).The Pats of 2006 will be significantly different than the Pats of 2004.
They'll also have an offensive line and defensive backfield that's healthy, with playoff tested backups. As well as a healthy cap situation to fill gaps.Are you going to suggest that the Pats are in worse shape than the other AFC contenders for 2006?

It remains to be seen whether or not the Pats will be a better or worse team next year (duh). But they are going to be a different team than the one that won a SB. Both coordinators gone (and perhaps a third coordinator), and key members of that team are in the twilight of their careers: Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, Ty Law (at best, he may not return to NE obviously).You'd be foolish to question the Pats ability to rebuild, but if they win they'll be winning with new guys. That's all I'm saying.
The Pats also have a lot of young players that are just starting to come into their own:Ben Watson, Ellis Hobbs, Logan Mankins, Nick Kazcur, Asante Samuel, Ty Warren, etc...

Fact is: Many of the guys you mentioned contributed very little to THIS year's team anyways. A team that needs a bit of tweaking to be an AFC contender again.

I'm unwilling to accept this as an 'end' to the Pats run. Nobody has won it every year, have they? There were lots of people who didn't think the Pats had a chance to make it to the playoffs before the season started, what with the loss of both their O and D coordinators, etc. They were an improving team in the last half, made the playoffs and came up short this year. Coulda been a lot worse. They're still the toughest team in their division.  :thumbup:

Again, all I heard all week was how this was not the injury decimated Pats that lost to the donkeys earlier this year, thay had all their key players back.The had their "A" squad and they got beat. Quit beating the "they weren't healthy" drum. It sounds as an angry gong.

Again, all I heard all week was how this was not the injury decimated Pats that lost to the donkeys earlier this year, thay had all their key players back.The had their "A" squad and they got beat. Quit beating the "they weren't healthy" drum. It sounds as an angry gong.
I must have missed where this part of the thread addressed what you heard this week.

I'm unwilling to accept this as an 'end' to the Pats run. Nobody has won it every year, have they? There were lots of people who didn't think the Pats had a chance to make it to the playoffs before the season started, what with the loss of both their O and D coordinators, etc. They were an improving team in the last half, made the playoffs and came up short this year. Coulda been a lot worse. They're still the toughest team in their division.  :thumbup:
Miami 9 7 Buffalo 5 11

N.Y. Jets 4 12

Yup. Tough road in front of them.
Miami won 4 games two years ago and 9 this year. New coach, new oline coach and one of the best RB prospects in the NFL.Recognize.

Your loss I guess. As if you didn't hear the same thing.They'll also have an offensive line and defensive backfield that's healthy, with playoff tested backups. As well as a healthy cap situation to fill gaps.

Are you going to suggest that the Pats are in worse shape than the other AFC contenders for 2006?

I must have missed where this part of the thread addressed what you heard this week.
Your loss I guess. As if you didn't hear the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did have a lot of guys back this week. A couple of their leaders didn't, however (Matt Light and Rodney Harrison in particular). And I thought they'd make the difference. Point is, they've been playing from in a hole all season long. You can only get away with that for so long. Denver stood up to it. What's your point?

The Pats also have a lot of young players that are just starting to come into their own:Ben Watson, Ellis Hobbs, Logan Mankins, Nick Kazcur, Asante Samuel, Ty Warren, etc...

Fact is: Many of the guys you mentioned contributed very little to THIS year's team anyways. A team that needs a bit of tweaking to be an AFC contender again.
This team didn't win much. They were light years behind the Colts this year. Through 14 weeks the Colts were 13-0 and the Pats were 8-5.

What is Chris Berman talking about?

The Broncos ended one of the most fantastic runs in history today?

Didn't the Pats not even make the playoffs three years ago? And who is to say their run is over?
I'm fairly certain he's talking about the 10-0 postseason run, which is the best run of any coach or quarterback in NFL history. I think it's reasonable to cite the end of the Patriots's streak without necessarily saying it's the end for the Patriots. I can still hold out hope that the Patriots win a Superbowl next season, though, if only to make COlin admit that the Pats are a dynasty, after listening to his "Dynasties don't include non-playoff seasons" diatribes.
If Colin doesn't admit to this--which he shouldn't, because it's valid--are you resigning hope? I don't understand the connx here.
A and B conversation. C yourself out.
Then don't post it on a public forum Einstein.
Personally, I'm giving bfred a break here. The ABC thing was humorously strange, but I'm willing to act like it never happened if he is.

This team didn't win much. They were light years behind the Colts this year. Through 14 weeks the Colts were 13-0 and the Pats were 8-5.
I am surprised that you are on staff here, aside form the fact that 90% of what you say makes sense.

Are you going to suggest that the Pats didn't show improvement with those kids coming of age in the back half of the season?

Miami 9 7 Buffalo 5 11

N.Y. Jets 4 12

Miami won 4 games two years ago and 9 this year. New coach, new oline coach and one of the best RB prospects in the NFL.Recognize.
Yup, tough road ahead, like I said.

Miami 9 7 Buffalo 5 11

N.Y. Jets 4 12

Yup, tough road ahead, like I said.
Come on man, let me have my dream :) .

Chase, why are you including Ty Law in your discussion? Didn't he play for YOUR team this year? :confused:
I'm not sure what the confusion is here tonight, but I'm simply comparing the 2006 Pats to the 2001, 2003 and 2004 Pats.To say the 2006 Pats will continue the Patriots dynasty ignores the fact that the key parts of the SB Champion Pats (note: this doesn't include this year) won't be around. It will basically be a new team if NE wins it all, outside of Brady and Belichick. We learned today, those two aren't enough. They're a great start, but the 2006 Pats will likely look a lot different than the team we saw the last time they won the SB. Not necessarily worse, but different.

Ty Law

Romeo Crennell

Charlie Weis

Joe Andruzzi

David Patten

All are gone

Corey Dillon

Willis McGinest

Troy Brown

Rodney Harrison

Tedy Bruschi

It's doubtful to expect performances next year to resemble what they did in 2004.

New England will have to retool this year, that's all I'm saying.

Pizza, Wings and Beer for the guys..........$60

Leather La-Z Boy recliner..........$500

60" LCD TV..........$3200

Patriots getting a butt kicking in the playoffs......... PRICELESS!!

:excited:
$3200 for a TV? Does it tell you who will win before the game even starts...if not...
LOL, I don't even own any of those things, I just couldn't resist!! ;)

Are you going to suggest that the Pats didn't show improvement with those kids coming of age in the back half of the season?
The Pats looked better, although it coincided with the level of competition getting much worse. Regardless, it was pretty clear all year that New England wasn't on the level of Indianapolis or even Denver. Through twelve weeks, the Patriots were outscored by 23 points. Through twelve weeks, the Colts had won every single game by over a TD.New England beat up on NY twice, whooped Buffalo and shutout Tampa Bay. That is the big 4 game stretch everyone refers to when they say NE improved significantly in the second half. It's impressive, but outside of the TB game none of those wins were against anything good.

The Pats looked better, although it coincided with the level of competition getting much worse. Regardless, it was pretty clear all year that New England wasn't on the level of Indianapolis or even Denver. Through twelve weeks, the Patriots were outscored by 23 points. Through twelve weeks, the Colts had won every single game by over a TD.New England beat up on NY twice, whooped Buffalo and shutout Tampa Bay. That is the big 4 game stretch everyone refers to when they say NE improved significantly in the second half. It's impressive, but outside of the TB game none of those wins were against anything good.
Destroying Jacksonville at 12-4 wasn't a big win?

Wanted to come back after (hopefully) the Pats fans had calmed down. I was very happy with the victory, and am very glad the Broncos are advancing...but it was a fantastic effort by the Pats. This was much closer than the final score. Hopefully, they'll be back...because they really are a fantastic squad.

That's a good point. The Jaguars win was impressive.

That's a good point. The Jaguars win was impressive.
Again, Chase: It wasn't that they beat some teams. It's that they DESTROYED them. None of those games were even remotely close. So they lost a playoff game to a better team, on the road, who had a first round bye. In a game where they had some sloppy unforced turnovers, yet statistically played them to at least a draw.That means to me that the Pats, for the past 8 or 9 games, were a very dangerous football team...

Honestly, if Vegas puts the 2006 Pats at anything worse than a 10-1 to win it all, it's a good money bet.

Again, Chase: It wasn't that they beat some teams. It's that they DESTROYED them. None of those games were even remotely close. So they lost a playoff game to a better team, on the road, who had a first round bye. In a game where they had some sloppy unforced turnovers, yet statistically played them to at least a draw.

That means to me that the Pats, for the past 8 or 9 games, were a very dangerous football team...

Honestly, if Vegas puts the 2006 Pats at anything worse than a 10-1 to win it all, it's a good money bet.
The last 8 or 9 games includes the Patriots being outscored by the Chiefs and Saints.Isn't this what the Colts used to get ripped for? Blow out the bad teams but lose to the tough teams? No Patriots fan will tell you that they were happy with this season. The Pats were inconsistent, playing well in stretches and not so well in others.

But things change quickly in the NFL. Remember that just one team in the NFC made the playoffs each of the last two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
They got outscored by the Saints?
Reading comprehension down?The Chiefs (+10) and the Saints (-7) outscored the Patriots. Hardly the mark of an impressive team.

During the 16 game regular season, New England looked impressive exactly 5 times. Four of those games were against three teams that combined for less wins than the Pats had last year.

I've said for a couple of weeks that the Pats might follow the Cowboys path. The Cowboys and Pats won 3 out of 4. Then with depleted teams, they made the playoffs and won blowouts in their first game. This lead people to overestimate them and give them credit for past success, and they subsequently got beaten the next week.

The Cowboys the next year went 6-10.

yeah...that's definately one we'll be talking about 5 years...er.....months....days? from now :lol:

I'll admit it: I'm a Pats hater. I hate any team that wins all the time.But I'll also admit that they're really good. Nothing went their way last night, they played lousy and STILL I never thought they were out of it until the very end. Their coaching and personnel are among the very best.Glad to see 'em out of it for now but I see them dominating their division again next year and being, at the very least, a huge factor in the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread