What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the true "disrespected" teams in the NFL.. (1 Viewer)

Darth Cheney

Footballguy
The Broncos and the Steelers. These two teams were given little to zero shot to win these two games from the majority of the football world. People can cry about the refs.... can say that certain players didn't bring their A-games or that the better teams simply beat themselves. The bottm line is that those two football teams wanted it more. This AFC championship game is going to be a great slugfest between two teams who will bash their heads in to get to the Super Bowl.....

The Broncos and the Steelers. These two teams were given little to zero shot to win these two games from the majority of the football world. People can cry about the refs.... can say that certain players didn't bring their A-games or that the better teams simply beat themselves. The bottm line is that those two football teams wanted it more. This AFC championship game is going to be a great slugfest between two teams who will bash their heads in to get to the Super Bowl.....
Yeah Seattle is getting all kinds of respect. If they win the Super Bowl they'll still be talking SOS. Join the club.

The Broncos and the Steelers.  These two teams were given little to zero shot to win these two games from the majority of the football world. People can cry about the refs.... can say that certain players didn't bring their A-games or that the better teams simply beat themselves.  The bottm line is that those two football teams wanted it more.  This AFC championship game is going to be a great slugfest between two teams who will bash their heads in to get to the Super Bowl.....
Steelers deserve a lot of credit as they were the true underdogs, but I don't think Denver really was. They were the number 2 seed and most people I know considered them as such. That's not to say they don't deserve credit for the win. I just don't think it was nearly as much of a surprise.Edit: It almost seems trendy to consider yourself an underdog this year. In retrospect there have been fans from every playoff team posting that their team wasn't getting the respect that they deserve (with the exception of Indy). Maybe it's because Indy was getting a lot of press or maybe it was because fans always think their team is the best no matter what :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Panthers deserve this more than the Broncos. I didn't hear anybody say much, positive or negative, about the Broncos, but I know there were some real question marks that surrounded the Panthers. True enough, they and the Steelers were the wild card teams while the Broncos actually earned themselves a bye.

I think the Panthers deserve this more than the Broncos. I didn't hear anybody say much, positive or negative, about the Broncos, but I know there were some real question marks that surrounded the Panthers. True enough, they and the Steelers were the wild card teams while the Broncos actually earned themselves a bye.
You are kidding, right? They were the popular preseason pick by the "experts" to win the Super Bowl.

You are kidding, right? They were the popular preseason pick by the "experts" to win the Super Bowl.
I thought this thread was about looking at it from a post-week-17 perspective, not a pre-season perspective. That's what I based my argument on.

hey, the only reason steelers had a 11-5 regular season record was becaues Maddox played in 2 of those games that were easily winnable (Baltimore and Jacksonville) and Roethlisberger was injured twice during the season (knee,thumb), easily, the steelers could've been 2nd or 3rd seed by finishing 13-3, but everyone saw them as the #6 WC. I am not suprised at all to see them in the big dance as they are EVEN BETTER at this point in the season than they were last year.All in all.....GO STEELERS! :towelwave:

I thought this thread was about looking at it from a post-week-17 perspective, not a pre-season perspective. That's what I based my argument on.
That would be correct. Preseason picks mean squat. Too much changes during the course of a season. I think it's safe to say that going into the playoffs Carolina was a much greater underdog than the Broncos. I wouldn't conisder Denver an underdog to anyone but the Colts

hey, the only reason steelers had a 11-5 regular season record was becaues Maddox played in 2 of those games that were easily winnable (Baltimore and Jacksonville) and Roethlisberger was injured twice during the season (knee,thumb), easily, the steelers could've been 2nd or 3rd seed by finishing 13-3, but everyone saw them as the #6 WC. I am not suprised at all to see them in the big dance as they are EVEN BETTER at this point in the season than they were last year.

All in all.....

GO STEELERS!

:towelwave:
It is amazing to see this talk surface again...

Steelers deserve a lot of credit as they were the true underdogs, but I don't think Denver really was. They were the number 2 seed and most people I know considered them as such. That's not to say they don't deserve credit for the win. I just don't think it was nearly as much of a surprise.Edit: It almost seems trendy to consider yourself an underdog this year. In retrospect there have been fans from every playoff team posting that their team wasn't getting the respect that they deserve (with the exception of Indy). Maybe it's because Indy was getting a lot of press or maybe it was because fans always think their team is the best no matter what :shrug:
ALOT of people did not have Denver in the AFC championship game, much less the super bowl. Everytime i watched something on TV it was always about Indy or how the Pats and even the Steelers (a little bit) are "sleepers" (not really when everyone was talking about them). The only time I heard an "expert" analyst talk about Denver, all they said was that they were a team at 13-3 that noone talks about.

The Broncos and the Steelers.  These two teams were given little to zero shot to win these two games from the majority of the football world. People can cry about the refs.... can say that certain players didn't bring their A-games or that the better teams simply beat themselves.  The bottm line is that those two football teams wanted it more.  This AFC championship game is going to be a great slugfest between two teams who will bash their heads in to get to the Super Bowl.....
Yeah Seattle is getting all kinds of respect. If they win the Super Bowl they'll still be talking SOS. Join the club.
For what it's worth, I solemnly pledge to ban any Seattle fan on this board that plays the "respect us" card. If our team doesn't earn the respect of someone, screw em. What do we care?

Great post. I don't know how underrespected the Steelers were wildcard weekend, since they were actually ROAD FAVORITES over a team that had just beaten them several weeks before, but they were given no shot against Indy. And the majority of experts and FBGs predicted that New England would beat Denver STRAIGHT UP, forget the spread entirely.Plus Shanahan and Cowher are two of the most underrespected coaches in the league. Both got some monkeys off their backs this postseason (Cowher can't win on the road, Shanny can't win without Elway), and one looks forward to further reminding the world that he's one of the elite coaches in the NFL.

Steelers deserve a lot of credit as they were the true underdogs, but I don't think Denver really was. They were the number 2 seed and most people I know considered them as such. That's not to say they don't deserve credit for the win. I just don't think it was nearly as much of a surprise.
Over 50% of FBGs picked New England to win STRAIGHT UP this week, despite home-field, despite the bye, despite a 13-3 record, despite an 8-0 home record. That, I think, qualifies as "disrespect".

Great post. I don't know how underrespected the Steelers were wildcard weekend, since they were actually ROAD FAVORITES over a team that had just beaten them several weeks before, but they were given no shot against Indy. And the majority of experts and FBGs predicted that New England would beat Denver STRAIGHT UP, forget the spread entirely.Plus Shanahan and Cowher are two of the most underrespected coaches in the league. Both got some monkeys off their backs this postseason (Cowher can't win on the road, Shanny can't win without Elway), and one looks forward to further reminding the world that he's one of the elite coaches in the NFL.

Steelers deserve a lot of credit as they were the true underdogs, but I don't think Denver really was.  They were the number 2 seed and most people I know considered them as such.  That's not to say they don't deserve credit for the win.  I just don't think it was nearly as much of a surprise.
Over 50% of FBGs picked New England to win STRAIGHT UP this week, despite home-field, despite the bye, despite a 13-3 record, despite an 8-0 home record. That, I think, qualifies as "disrespect".
And how many would have picked Pitt over Indy? 50/50 doesn't even put you as an underdog. People on *this* board gave NE a bit too much credit, but those same people completely wrote Pitt off.What would have been a satisfactory Denver win percentage for you, as a fan? 60%? Maybe 70% for Denver. At what point would you have felt "respected"?

No, I think it stems from every analysts, except for former Broncos, saying that NE was going to win the game. They were all over Brady's jock and his 10-0 record in the playoffs.

(jonessed @ Jan 15 2006, 10:05 PM) And how many would have picked Pitt over Indy? 50/50 doesn't even put you as an underdog. People on *this* board gave NE a bit too much credit, but those same people completely wrote Pitt off.What would have been a satisfactory Denver win percentage for you, as a fan? 60%? Maybe 70% for Denver. At what point would you have felt "respected"?
I picked the Steelers and NE....but I live in PA, and was hoping for an AFC Championship game in NE! :D (went 4-4 last week, 3-4 this week).Discussion boards draw out all kinds of people, who favor all kinds of teams. Because Patriot fans were supporting their team, does not mean they disrespect the Broncos. I wrote in a few threads that I thought the Broncos had the cards stacked in their favor, especially home field. A true fan over looks the cards that are delt and hope their team over comes the odds. I know the media really played up the Patriots...and rightly so since they were the reigning Super Bowl champs...that is a story line the media wanted to sell. That was the medias take, so I guess it is the media that disrespected your Broncos...the spread on the game though had Denver as the favorite...and the favorite won. Two great teams met in that game...there were a lot of streaks and angles to analyze. The only people who will ever fully respect your team are the Bronco fans....who cares if others do not (take it from a Patriot fan, we know! :P )If you play the disrespect card, you are going to come off as whiny tools...it is not worth it. :yucky:Does respect after the game count? “I was proud of the effort all year,” said Belichick. “I thought we fought hard, and I thought they fought through a lot of the adversity. We just didn’t play well enough today. Denver played better and that’s why they won the game.”

The Seahawks and The Bronco's are the first teams in my memory who had Outstanding seasons and yet both are looked upon as 2nd tier.I can kinda understand the reasoning behind the Seahawks because of the Division they were in, but The Lack of respect given to the Bronoc's the last month is :loco: .They played in one of the toughest Divisions in football, where 3 of the 4 were all Playoff Caliper teams and they ended the season with a 13-3 record and yet 90% of the "experts" picked the Pats to win.Steelers were never disrespected in my mind. Sure not many gave them a chance to win in indy. But that wasn't as much disrespect for The Steelers as it was respect for the season the Colts had.Panthers have had respect when they deserved it, but some of their Losses at home left everyone feeling :loco: .Should be some GREAT matchs ups this week. But I have to believe The Seahawks won't be setting up their CB's to be one on one with Steve Smith. He will be Double and tripled covered at all times of the game and The Panthers will have to find some other way to win. Down to Goings at RB leaves them a season away from the Big Game.Steelers will present a Lot of problems for the Bronco's. But then again Facing The bengals Defense and the Colts Defense isn't as tough as what The Bronco's Defense will bring.Seahawks vs. The Bronco's for a West Divisional Super Bowl.

The Seahawks and The Bronco's are the first teams in my memory who had Outstanding seasons and yet both are looked upon as 2nd tier.

I can kinda understand the reasoning behind the Seahawks because of the Division they were in, but The Lack of respect given to the Bronoc's the last month is :loco: .

They played in one of the toughest Divisions in football, where 3 of the 4 were all Playoff Caliper teams and they ended the season with a 13-3 record and yet 90% of the "experts" picked the Pats to win.

Steelers were never disrespected in my mind. Sure not many gave them a chance to win in indy. But that wasn't as much disrespect for The Steelers as it was respect for the season the Colts had.

Panthers have had respect when they deserved it, but some of their Losses at home left everyone feeling :loco: .

Should be some GREAT matchs ups this week.

But I have to believe The Seahawks won't be setting up their CB's to be one on one with Steve Smith. He will be Double and tripled covered at all times of the game and The Panthers will have to find some other way to win.

Down to Goings at RB leaves them a season away from the Big Game.

Steelers will present a Lot of problems for the Bronco's. But then again Facing The bengals Defense and the Colts Defense isn't as tough as what The Bronco's Defense will bring.

Seahawks vs. The Bronoc's for a West Divisional Super Bowl.
You don't think teams have been double covering Steve Smith? :unsure: Being from the East Coast, I guess I will be cheering for the East Coast SB with Carolina and the Steelers. :D

The Seahawks and The Bronco's are the first teams in my memory who had Outstanding seasons and yet both are looked upon as 2nd tier.

I can kinda understand the reasoning behind the Seahawks because of the Division they were in, but The Lack of respect given to the Bronoc's the last month is :loco: .

They played in one of the toughest Divisions in football, where 3 of the 4 were all Playoff Caliper teams and they ended the season with a 13-3 record and yet 90% of the "experts" picked the Pats to win.

Steelers were never disrespected in my mind. Sure not many gave them a chance to win in indy. But that wasn't as much disrespect for The Steelers as it was respect for the season the Colts had.

Panthers have had respect when they deserved it, but some of their Losses at home left everyone feeling :loco: .

But I have to believe The Seahawks won't be setting up their CB's to be one on one with Steve Smith. He will be Double and tripled covered at all times of the game and The Panthers will have to find some other way to win.

Steelers will present a Lot of problems for the Bronco's. But then again Facing The bengals Defense and the Colts Defense isn't as tough as what The Bronco's Defense will bring.

You don't think teams have been double covering Steve Smith? :unsure: Being from the East Coast, I guess I will be cheering for the East Coast SB with Carolina and the Steelers. :D
Did you watch the Bears game??Both long TD's to Smith were 1 on 1 coverage.. Both times the Safety was playing center field. :loco:

I just don't see the Seahawks being dumb enough to think:

"Hey, this Smith guy is pretty good, but our semi-decent CB's can handle him" :shock:

I can kinda understand the reasoning behind the Seahawks because of the Division they were in, but The Lack of respect given to the Bronoc's the last month is  :loco: .

Did you watch the Bears game??Both long TD's to Smith were 1 on 1 coverage.. Both times the Safety was playing center field. :loco:

I just don't see the Seahawks being dumb enough to think:

"Hey, this Smith guy is pretty good, but our semi-decent CB's can handle him" :shock:
Agreed that the Bears did not cover Steve Smith well...I was saying in general though, teams have covered Steve Smith in Double Coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread