What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Manning's Legacy Article (2 Viewers)

First off,  I do not HATE Peyton Manning.   However, I do have opinions about NFL football.  I am in my mid-40's and since season of Super Bowl III, can probably count on one hand the number of NFL playoff games that I have not watched on TV.  Several hundred playoff games, lots of terrific QB play ---  Namath, Bradshaw, Stabler, Staubach, Montana, Elway, Young, Favre, Brady, Delhomme (?) and several that I am obviously forgetting.  Peyton Manning's body of work in the NFL post-season does not put him in the same company as these other QBs.  Unfair, perhaps (I did limit this to "post-season" only).   Vince Lombardi once said that the one thing that he did not like about the game of football was the position of quarterback -- as the position was of such paramount importance that it somehow served to undermine the concept of the team and that no individual piece is bigger than the whole.   Fair point, perhaps Vince went a little over the top to make a point.  QB's -- too much credit when they win, too much blame when they lose, but these are the guys that NFL teams throw high 8 figure contracts at (with much of this money guaranteed) so I shed no tears when they are thoroughly borescoped after a loss.

A lot has been said on a thread that has now been locked, so I'll limit my comments to a couple of points:

#1 "Peyton Manning is clearly the greatest QB in the NFL today and playoff losses are a result of the fact that football is a team game and the Colts' opponents in these games greatly outplayed the entire Colts team and in no way did Manning's individual effort in these losses diminish his stock as the NFL's best QB" - I find it down right comical that virtually any other viewpoint is categorized, in some cases by otherwise intelligent NFL analysts (Wood, Ashcroft), as a "Manning HATE statement".  And I use to think that Mets fans had inferiority complexes.

#2  IMO,  Tom Brady is a better NFL QB than Peyton Manning.   There I said it, a statement in the warped view of some that is a "Manning HATE statement".   I am a JETS fan, thus I do not like or ever root for the Patriots.  Thus, I don't think that I bring a fans' bias to my assessment.  I base this on the fact that Brady is as "tough as nails" and consistently brings his "A game" to the field in the playoffs.  I do not think that Brady simply tags along for the ride as part of a great team, I think that he has had to perform at the very top of his game to bring home post-season wins. Brady didn't quite have his "A game" versus Denver, yet I still like how Brady played in defeat better than I do how Manning played in defeat vs Pitt.   A critical difference that is greatly highlighted in the post-season in which Brady is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Manning is in his ability to hang in the pocket in the presence of a pass rush and make strong, accurate throws.  The differential in this important ability was never more evident than this past weekend.  Denver brought a ton of pressure against Brady and there were numerous times when Brady exhibited the classic pocket toughness to "hang in" and make a strong, confident, accurate throw down the field, right before he was to get hit.  On the other hand,  Manning in the face of pressure develops happy feet and makes weak, inaccurate throws in the face of pressure.  The difference between the two in this key area has nothing to do with "mobility" or "physical gifts", but rather it is all about "toughness".

#3  Here is an excerpt from today, Indianapolis Star by Kravitz (who I guess is just another person who HATES Peyton Manning):

"Another big game. Another big stage. Another spectacular flameout, a meltdown of epic proportions.

Seen this movie before? There was 41-0 to the Jets in 2003. There was 24-14 in 2004 and 21-3 in 2005, both in New England. And then there was this, the worst of them all, a game Peyton Manning, in particular, may never live down.

Even now, the clouds of doubt are gathering around Manning, and the whispers are so loud, they seemed to be artificially enhanced. He can't win the big one. Didn't win them in college. Hasn't won them in the pros. Not the biggest ones."

#4  This year everything was set up for the Colts.  Peyton Manning is a classic "momentum QB".  When everything is breaking right with the well-oiled Colts machine there is no QB on the planet that can match Peyton's stat line.  He now has a 3-6 playoff record, and his stat line in those 3 wins was very impressive.   However, two of those were in complete blowouts at home and the 3rd against KC was against the worst defense seen in the NFL playoffs since the Bass-led Charger D of the '80's.  I would love to see Manning win a big NFL playoff game, on the road (outdoors) in a game in which his team trails in the 4th qtr.   This year he could have diffused a lot of his critics without ever having to get close to playing an outdoor, road game.   The Colts were clearly the best team in the NFL during the regular season, yet based upon what we saw yesterday I think that in addition to the loss to Pitt, the Colts would not have been able to win vs Denver or New England.  Thus, somehow the Manning-led Colts morphed from the best team in the NFL into perhaps the 4th best team in the AFC.  

#5  Manning's comments regarding the offensive showed a lack of leadership and accountability.

#6   As a fan, I am not enamored with Manning's persistent utilizing and fake line calls.  I know that it has its moments.  However, it puts unnecessary pressure on the line to hold their stances.  The false start penalty that negated the Colts 1st half TD was huge.

#7  I know that this thread is not about Eli, but I find it interesting that Baby Bro had an extremely ugly post-season debut.  Yes, he is young.  However, he has quite a bit more NFL experience and more "skills" than Rex Grossman.  Yet somehow, Grossman showed me a lot more than Eli did in what was the first post-season game for either young QB.

#8   I don't think that I have ever read a more stupid comment than the one that suggested that it is "Manning's strong Christian faith" that causes some to HATE him.

#9.   Many highly regarded NFL analysts are espousing similar views on Manning today.  Not all, but a significant number.  Probably none of these folks HATE Peyton Manning.  Yet somehow in the twisted world of denial in which the faithful Manning followers reside, they are all "Manning HATERS".
Hi Wilbur, :lmao: Isn't this the same thing you posted in the other thread?

J
Yes it is and I apologize for it as it was not my intent. I saw the original Manning "HATE" thread last night. I wanted to consolidate my thoughts on the topic instead of issuing a "rapid response". By the time I had typed up my post this morning, it looked like the original thread had been "locked", so I simply started a new one (this thread), then I saw that there was already a new Manning thread that looked similar, so I also posted it there. Sorry if I violated some protocol with that maneauver, but I simply wanted to make some points relating to the fact it is a VALID football opinion at this stage to question Manning's playoff performance and not necessarily something that should be referred over to the Department of Justice as a "HATE Crime".

Peyton doesnt trust his teammates. Here are Edge's stats in the 13 wins he played in: 25.7 carries a gameIn the two losses to Pit and SD: 13 carries. Manning uses the run, which is the most effective part of the team, when things are going well, but he abandons it when things are tight. He calls all the plays, so he wants to correct things himself when things are not going well. Its not good.

Peyton doesnt trust his teammates.

Here are Edge's stats in the 13 wins he played in: 25.7 carries a game

In the two losses to Pit and SD: 13 carries.

Manning uses the run, which is the most effective part of the team, when things are going well, but he abandons it when things are tight. He calls all the plays, so he wants to correct things himself when things are not going well. Its not good.
This is the only thing Manning can do to differentiate himself from Marino, and he showed an understanding of it earlier in the year.

:goodposting:

#1. Manning has never won any championship at any level.

#2. he has a lifetime 3-6 playoff record.

#3. looks alot like Dan Fouts - i.e., great stats, no BIG WINS.

#4. Manning teams up with 2 of the best players in the history of the NFL, at their positions: Edge James, and Marvin Harrison.there is simply NO EXCUSE for him to ALWAYS lose big games.none at all.

#5. HE IS NO TOM BRADY you got that right!!

he is overrated..great regular season QB, maybe..but one of the worst postseason qb's , ever. isn't he tied with, or close to Danny White for most playoff appearances without playing in a SB?
#4 Maybe James and Harrison are chockers!!! Your right Manning has not played amazing in those games but it can't fall soley on him. He does have to take responsibility and shoulder some of the blame, but he takes to much heat.Manning still has plenty of football left in him. If he wins a title or two he will go down as the GREATEST QB to ever play. Even if he does go out not winning a title he will be a top 5 QB ever in the NFL. Hate him all you want, but you can't deny that he is a great player.

3-6 is not a great playoff record and not having a SB is also not great either, but continuously making the playoffs, setting all sorts of records, always being one of the top teams in the league etc etc leaves some sort of legacy. Does he want to go out as not winning a SB??? NO. But he will still have a lasting legacy whether you like him or not.

Or looks a lot like John Elway. He'll win a couple three before he's done.
I disagree with the comparison to the pre-Super Bowl champ, John Elway. Some of the standard that only rings count, not me. Elway was extremely impressive in getting the Broncos to Super Bowls and AFC Title games. "The Drive" is just one example of his fine play. He had a much weaker supporting cast pre-Shannahan. I thought that he played an awesome 1st half during Super Bowl 25. Even if Manning had played much better in these 6 losses and still sported a 3-6 record I would be much kinder to him.

I disagree with the comparison to the pre-Super Bowl champ, John Elway. Some of the standard that only rings count, not me. Elway was extremely impressive in getting the Broncos to Super Bowls and AFC Title games. "The Drive" is just one example of his fine play. He had a much weaker supporting cast pre-Shannahan. I thought that he played an awesome 1st half during Super Bowl 25. Even if Manning had played much better in these 6 losses and still sported a 3-6 record I would be much kinder to him.
I hope it makes you feel better about yourself to be critical of him. I wonder what it would be like in a mans world if our signifigant other scrutinized our shortcomings as men they way we do this to our football heroes?!I love the Colts and appreciate Manning for what he brings to the game. Even if he will never win a "big game" he is still one of the greatest, atleast in the team photo.

But, keep on bashing.

I agree with Pizzatyme 100 percent on this.I feel we have been hood winkedby Mr Manning/Qb/Hc/Oc/Public relations guru!!It might serve him well just to be a Qb.Well hell his boss is the true winner he got his stadium.

I agree with Pizzatyme 100 percent on this.I feel we have been hood winked

by Mr Manning/Qb/Hc/Oc/Public relations guru!!It might serve him well just to be a Qb.Well hell his boss is the true winner he got his stadium.
Lets not fool ourselves into believe Peyton has reached his ceiling of potential.

Before Elway won his two Super Bowls, these were his playoff stats with wins and losses:
Year Opp Result | CMP ATT PYD PTD INT | RSH YD TD---------------------+--------------------------+----------------- 1983 sea L,7-31 | 10 15 123 0 1 | 3 16 0 1984 pit L,17-24 | 19 37 184 2 2 | 4 16 0 1986 nwe W,22-17 | 13 32 257 1 2 | 5 18 1 1986 cle W,23-20 | 22 38 244 1 1 | 4 56 0*1986 nyg L,20-39 | 22 37 304 1 1 | 6 27 1 1987 hou W,34-10 | 14 25 259 2 1 | 4 8 1 1987 cle W,38-33 | 14 26 281 3 1 | 11 36 0*1987 was L,10-42 | 14 38 257 1 3 | 3 32 0 1989 pit W,24-23 | 12 20 239 1 1 | 7 44 0 1989 cle W,37-21 | 20 35 385 3 0 | 5 39 0*1989 sfo L,10-55 | 10 26 108 0 2 | 4 8 1 1991 hou W,26-24 | 19 33 257 1 1 | 6 39 0 1991 buf L,7-10 | 11 21 121 0 1 | 4 10 0 1993 rai L,24-42 | 29 47 302 3 1 | 5 23 0 1996 jax L,27-30 | 25 38 226 2 0 | 5 30 0He was 7-8 overall, and had gotten his team (usually far worse teams than Manning has had IMHO) to 3 Super Bowls. Manning is 3-6 and has only ever reached his conference championship game once. While it's still somewhat early (Elway has six more years on his record above than Manning has now) Elways still got a jump on Peyton.

by Mr Manning/Qb/Hc/Oc/Public relations guru!!It might serve him well just to be a Qb.Well hell his boss is the true winner he got his stadium.
Lets not fool ourselves into believe Peyton has reached his ceiling of potential.
On what position qb/hc/oc/public relations

Manning F'ed up by not giving the ball to Edge more. Who am I to say he will or will not realize his mistake...or even have it pointed out and for him to accept it.

Peyton Manning has not shown me that he is remotely like Elway. Before Elway won the superbowl he already had moments in the playoffs when he brought his team from behind to win games. Manning is a great downhill QB. When the team is ahead and things are going great he plays well. Mix in a little adversity and a little pressure and he folds. When the team is trailing and they need him to play his best he is at his poorest. Also, just to add I hate both Elway and Manning. But I have respect for Elway where I have zero for Manning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manning F'ed up by not giving the ball to Edge more. Who am I to say he will or will not realize his mistake...or even have it pointed out and for him to accept it.
I used to believe that he would figure it out not anymore.

Well he figured it out while the Colts raced off to a 13-0 record, somewhere after 13-0 he forgot all about it.

Manning has some winning to do if he wants to change his reputation.

Well he figured it out while the Colts raced off to a 13-0 record, somewhere after 13-0 he forgot all about it.

Manning has some winning to do if he wants to change his reputation.

He is awesome regular season Qb.Playoff Qb maybe one of the worst all time.

He is 2-2 at home, and 1-4 on the road. Two of those post season losse should not count. Although Manning was young, Jim Mora Sr. was the coach of the team and I am pretty convinced Jim Mora Jr. could find a way to lose with the 1972 Dolphins in the post season.In the Tony Dungy era, Manning is 2-1 at home and 1-3 on the road; the road losses coming to New England, New England and the New York Jets.

As a complete body of work, it is still not pretty but I don't think things are as bleak a you make them out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is 2-2 at home, and 1-4 on the road. Two of those post season victories should count. Although Manning was young, Jim Mora Sr. was the coach of the team and I am pretty convinced Jim Mora Jr. could find a way to lose with the 1972 Dolphins in the post season.In the Tony Dungy era, Manning is 2-1 at home and 1-3 on the road; the road losses coming to New England, New England and the New York Jets.

As a complete body of work, it is still not pretty but I don't think things are as bleak a you make them out to be.
I m sorry I was comparing his body of work to the other great Qbs in the past or present in the playoffs and hope one day he proves me wrong,but I really doubt that he does.

Manning uses the run, which is the most effective part of the team, when things are going well, but he abandons it when things are tight. He calls all the plays, so he wants to correct things himself when things are not going well. Its not good.
Or, could it be that Manning didn't use Edge as much because the Colts defense allowed two Pittsburgh TDs the first two times Pittsburgh had the ball. Peyton Manning threw for 290 yards, 1 TD, and no interceptions. Never before have I seen that kind of performance downed so heavily.......

Or, could it be that Manning didn't use Edge as much because the Colts defense allowed two Pittsburgh TDs the first two times Pittsburgh had the ball.

Peyton Manning threw for 290 yards, 1 TD, and no interceptions. Never before have I seen that kind of performance downed so heavily.......
Manning's number were still pretty good, I even forgot about that. But ultimately Manning will be judged by wins and losses because he makes up over half the team. Regardless, they didn't use Edge enough and their was no reason for them to abandon Edge until their was last than 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

Or, could it be that Manning didn't use Edge as much because the Colts defense allowed two Pittsburgh TDs the first two times Pittsburgh had the ball.

Peyton Manning threw for 290 yards, 1 TD, and no interceptions. Never before have I seen that kind of performance downed so heavily.......
Manning's number were still pretty good, I even forgot about that. But ultimately Manning will be judged by wins and losses because he makes up over half the team. Regardless, they didn't use Edge enough and their was no reason for them to abandon Edge until their was last than 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.
They were down 21-3 going into the 4th quarter.....are you saying that they should have kept running the ball even at that point? They needed 3-4 scores.

A note about the whole Fouts thing.If SD's 1980 era team has the talent this colts team did on D, They would have gone to a superbowl. That team has the worst D I can remember.If I'm Dungy I take away the fake audible garbage and take alot of Manning's duties away too. Peyton has to much control and he lost it early for the Colts.Also, I guarantee. much like Shannahan had to learn, resting your players for more than one game will equal a serious momentum loss.

They were down 21-3 going into the 4th quarter.....are you saying that they should have kept running the ball even at that point? They needed 3-4 scores.
Um yes...and they did. Riding Edge's back late in the 3rd quarter\early forth, the Colts went down the field and scored a touchdown. Edge had about 40 of his 55+ rushing yards on that one drive...and the Colts were down 21-3.

If I'm Dungy I take away the fake audible garbage and take alot of Manning's duties away too. Peyton has to much control and he lost it early for the Colts.
This would be a step in the wrong direction. Dungy and Moore will review the tape and point out where Manning made his mistakes. Manning has no life outside of football, so I am sure he will apply himself to improve his game.Plus, Dungy is a teacher not a dictator.

Or, could it be that Manning didn't use Edge as much because the Colts defense allowed two Pittsburgh TDs the first two times Pittsburgh had the ball. Peyton Manning threw for 290 yards, 1 TD, and no interceptions. Never before have I seen that kind of performance downed so heavily.......
So everyone is clear on the issue on hand is not mannings ability at qb but that he is oc/hc/everything and that decision making has him looking very bad.Point being what is more important to Mr Manning?

Um yes...and they did. Riding Edge's back late in the 3rd quarter\early forth, the Colts went down the field and scored a touchdown. Edge had about 40 of his 55+ rushing yards on that one drive...and the Colts were down 21-3.
I'm afraid you have the facts mixed up. That was the drive in the second quarter that resulted in the Vanderjagt field goal. The drive at the start of the 4th saw Manning's 50-yard TD to Dallas Clark to make it 21-10. They rode Edge's back in the 2nd quarter....not in the 3rd/4th.

So everyone is clear on the issue on hand is not mannings ability at qb but that he is oc/hc/everything and that decision making has him looking very bad.Point being what is more important to Mr Manning?
Which specific decisions are you referring to?

I'm afraid you have the facts mixed up. That was the drive in the second quarter that resulted in the Vanderjagt field goal. The drive at the start of the 4th saw Manning's 50-yard TD to Dallas Clark to make it 21-10. They rode Edge's back in the 2nd quarter....not in the 3rd/4th.
:wall: Your right. However, I still think they run the ball down 21-3. Two scores and under 7 minutes in the 4th is when I abandon the run.

A note about the whole Fouts thing.

If SD's 1980 era team has the talent this colts team did on D, They would have gone to a superbowl. That team has the worst D I can remember.

If I'm Dungy I take away the fake audible garbage and take alot of Manning's duties away too. Peyton has to much control and he lost it early for the Colts.

Also, I guarantee. much like Shannahan had to learn, resting your players for more than one game will equal a serious momentum loss.
Hi bsn,I hear you but I really doubt they'd do this. Having an Offensive Coordinator on the field is a huge plus for the Colts. Watch tape sometimes of how they adjust. Or how they dictate to the defense keeping them from shuttling players in as Manning is set to start the play and have too many men on the field.

I don't disagree it's irritating to watch him take that much time at the line.

But it's a big advantage. Granted, you're only as good as your last game in this league but when Manning is orchestrating the offense and the Colts win, they love him for it.

As far as momentum, Andy Reid's a pretty solid coach and he did virtually the exact thing last year. FWIW, Cohwer said he'd have rested his players the same way if given the opportunity.

Like anything else, it's great when it works. Dumb when it doesn't.

J

If SD's 1980 era team has the talent this colts team did on D, They would have gone to a superbowl. That team has the worst D I can remember.

If I'm Dungy  I take away the fake audible garbage and take alot of Manning's duties away too.  Peyton has to much control and he lost it early for the Colts.

Also, I guarantee. much like Shannahan had to learn, resting your players for more than one game will equal a serious momentum loss.
Hi bsn,I hear you but I really doubt they'd do this. Having an Offensive Coordinator on the field is a huge plus for the Colts. Watch tape sometimes of how they adjust. Or how they dictate to the defense keeping them from shuttling players in as Manning is set to start the play and have too many men on the field.

But it's a big advantage. Granted, you're only as good as your last game in this league but when Manning is orchestrating the offense and the Colts win, they love him for it.

As far as momentum, Andy Reid's a pretty solid coach and he did virtually the exact thing last year. FWIW, Cohwer said he'd have rested his players the same way if given the opportunity.

J
Joe, there's no doubt that they are operating at their maximum level of spontaneity with Manning running the offense as he does. The problem is that I don't think an on-field playcaller is detached enough from the emotions of the game, his own ego, the stress of executing plays, etc. to see the big picture sometimes, or to read into trends in the game. And the quick snap threat is a gimmick to me and isn't enough of a benefit to outweigh that, at least not all the time.

He is 2-2 at home, and 1-4 on the road. Two of those post season losse should not count. Although Manning was young, Jim Mora Sr. was the coach of the team and I am pretty convinced Jim Mora Jr. could find a way to lose with the 1972 Dolphins in the post season.

In the Tony Dungy era, Manning is 2-1 at home and 1-3 on the road; the road losses coming to New England, New England and the New York Jets.

An interesting point that neither of Manning's coaches is known for clutch playoff performances. Then again, Mora has been saddled with Bobby Hebert, Steve Walsh, Wade Wilson, Jim "don't call me Chris" Everett, and Manning.

Dungy has been saddled with Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, Brad Johnson and Manning.

It's possible that one of the reasons neither coach has had great playoff success is that neither coach has had great quarterback play in the playoffs.

It's possible that one of the reasons neither coach has had great playoff success is that neither coach has had great quarterback play in the playoffs.
Umm, two of those guys won a Super Bowl. :unsure:

Mr Manning needs to be Qb quit the ego trip.Example the series after they scored by running the ball first they came out and threw three straght incomplete passes.Now if this was the first time this had happened in the playoffs I would be saying nothing or even the second time or third, but a trend is what it is.There is a problem with Indy and there play calling.That poses the question who is making these calls.I believe Mr Manning.Big Big Problem :wall:

Joe, there's no doubt that they are operating at their maximum level of spontaneity with Manning running the offense as he does. The problem is that I don't think an on-field playcaller is detached enough from the emotions of the game, his own ego, the stress of executing plays, etc. to see the big picture sometimes, or to read into trends in the game. And the quick snap threat is a gimmick to me and isn't enough of a benefit to outweigh that, at least not all the time.
:goodposting: When Manning was pressing yesterday (in the second of the three game-losing drives he led), the Steelers correctly blitzed the heck out of him. Manning responded by taking two sacks, throwing an incomplete pass, and throwing a hookshot pass to his running back for no gain, losing more than ten yards and backing himself up to his own goal line.

Similarly, when Manning failed to take key time outs, when he failed to complete a short pass on second or third down to get them in field goal range, when he has struggled to continue drives by throwing three yard passes when they needed four or more yards, when he has thrown long passes to get a quick score when the defense had just been on the field for a long drive, and so on - all of those things

When things are going well, it's great to have Manning back there calling the plays. Maybe the problem is that Manning can't handle the pressure of doing everything when things aren't going well. Maybe his head coach needs to recognize that Manning just isn't as good under pressure as he usually is, and take some of the responsibility out of his hands. Maybe they need someone else to step up and be the leader on the field when Manning has that look like he's about to wilt (a look I call the "Derek Lowe look". We saw it again yesterday right before the Polamalu "incomplete pass").

All I know is, every year we hear "Small sample size", and every year the sample size gets a little bigger and seems to say about the same things.

:goodposting: No one is saying they are great, but they were obviously good enough for someone else to win with.

True, but Dungy only had one year with Brad Johnson (who threw four INTs in their first round playoff loss to Philly), and Dilfer was far from the focal point of the Baltimore team that won a Superbowl.

I thought Dan Patrick made a great point how Manning was a automaton who didn't make any adjustments all game and led the rest of the Colts' offense off the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.How they do not dedicate themselves to the run with Edge is beyond me.

If I'm Dungy  I take away the fake audible garbage and take alot of Manning's duties away too.  Peyton has to much control and he lost it early for the Colts.

J
Hi Redman,That's a good point that maybe he's too close to it to be objective. I don't worry at all about the ego though. He's as good as it gets when it comes to "taking what the Defense gives". People forget the first month of the season where he didn't throw much and James went off. Teams made a point to stop the pass and he let them. While they ran.

I personally love the spontaneity his style affords. I think the reason most QBs don't do it is they don't have what it takes to do it themselves nor do they have the trust of the coaches. We saw a guy like Brady this year become more assertive in decision making at the line for instance. In my opinion, I think if you can do it, you do it.

J

We saw a guy like Brady this year become more assertive in decision making at the line for instance. In my opinion, I think if you can do it, you do it.
Maybe it's not a coincidence that Brady made uncharacteristic mistakes against Denver this year. Or that the K Gun got far in the playoffs every year, but never won a Superbowl. Maybe that style of play is great at racking up yards and TDs, but can be beaten by a talented defense that puts a lot of pressure on the quarterback.

We saw a guy like Brady this year become more assertive in decision making at the line for instance.  In my opinion, I think if you can do it, you do it.
Maybe it's not a coincidence that Brady made uncharacteristic mistakes against Denver this year. Or that the K Gun got far in the playoffs every year, but never won a Superbowl. Maybe that style of play is great at racking up yards and TDs, but can be beaten by a talented defense that puts a lot of pressure on the quarterback.
It's funny but I was thinking about the K-gun too. Another high performance offense that just couldn't seem to get it done in big games against good teams.

I thought Dan Patrick made a great point how Manning was a automaton who didn't make any adjustments all game and led the rest of the Colts' offense off the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.

How they do not dedicate themselves to the run with Edge is beyond me.
Hi bagger,I didn't hear Patrick today but can you expound more on that?

I think he's confusing making adjustments with being successful. I think they tried to adjust plenty. They just couldn't find an answer for what Pittsburgh was doing.

That's totally different from being an automaton and leading the lemmings off the cliff. I'd say Manning has a fault at going too far the other way trying to make too many adjustments.

Can you unpack more what he was saying there?

J

I thought Dan Patrick made a great point how Manning was a automaton who didn't make any adjustments all game and led the rest of the Colts' offense off the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.

How they do not dedicate themselves to the run with Edge is beyond me.
Hi bagger,I didn't hear Patrick today but can you expound more on that?

I think he's confusing making adjustments with being successful. I think they tried to adjust plenty. They just couldn't find an answer for what Pittsburgh was doing.

That's totally different from being an automaton and leading the lemmings off the cliff. I'd say Manning has a fault at going too far the other way trying to make too many adjustments.

Can you unpack more what he was saying there?

J
He really adjusted well yesterday. If you are getting blitzed and pressured you call some draws and screens. I didn't see much of that at all yesterday.

It is getting to the point that all that crap Manning does at the line disrupts the flow of the offense. Standing there for 30 seconds waiting for the ball to be snapped. Plus it is very annoying to watch after awhwile.

Mr Manning needs a book called (how to beat a blitz in the playoffs for dummies) :loco:
Brobe, it's just not that simple. I know you are shedding some humor here, but there is a reason these teams are successful in the playoffs. They are successful against other teams that don't have a Peyton Manning. The point is solid though. The Colts need to consider:

A) better, more consistent base schemes against the blitzing 3-4

and

B) I think they should consider playing a 3-4 themselves. If you can't beat them, join them! Better to practice against it day in and day out to make you more prepared.

I think Ron Turner is a good coach who lacks creativity in his scheme. Even with the playmakers they have, they still leak like a seive in crunch time.

It was quite obvious from my seat yesterday that there was no rhyme or reason for who was blitzing or from where.

All the preparation and "girations" at the line wasn't going to overcome this with their current game plan.

Run the ball and stop the run...the perfect cliche for the Colts to absorb.

Users who are viewing this thread