What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (2 Viewers)

why can carlton chat, and I'm not allowed?  did carly buy in?
Do you have enough money in your Stars account?Also, you should've bet the river there jw, obviously.
yeah...if we had slightly deeper stacks I would've, but it would've been very costly if he was a calling station with a pair of aces there. Believe me, I considered it. You're right though. Kicking myself now.

Why in the hell would you give free information away with nearly 20k at stake? Am I just missing something here? What was the point of the short-stacked player revealing his pocket queens?

I gotta be missing something.
Sometimes it's meant to be misinformation.A player who bluffs a lot may show down solid hands to create the impression that he's just catching good cards, or a conservative player may show down a big bluff so his value bets aren't respected.

That's the theory anyway. I doubt it's a good idea at this level of play.

I posted the key hand and my thoughts on it on page 3 in the blog...obviously misplayed, but my read made sense(in my mind at least). Thanks for the sweat.

btw, anyone remember the url for that site that shows a player's history of getting in the money at all PokerStar's tourneys?

quick question:

you 3 were all at relatively even stacks at one point and the other 2 guys were willing to do an even chop which would have meant ~$13,000 for everybody. you were silent. did you not see the offer or did you not want to chop?

seemed like a no-brainer to me.

quick question:

you 3 were all at relatively even stacks at one point and the other 2 guys were willing to do an even chop which would have meant ~$13,000 for everybody. you were silent. did you not see the offer or did you not want to chop?

I didn't see the offer. Not sure if I would've taken it or not. I think that my experience playing deep in these tourneys gives me a huge advantage over other players(not that you would be able to tell by my terrible play tonight though). I might've considered it though....not really sure. I'm very disappointed in my play though...thats for sure. I had a ton of fortunate breaks tonight, and I really didn't take advantage of them by messing up so much once we got to the final 3.BTW, its a "no brainer" to most people because the stakes are so much higher than what they are used to playing and they want to play it safe. Thats just not my style...I've been in these situations before, I've sat down in a series of $5000 heads up matches, I recently played in a $10K buy in event. Now don't get me wrong- $13K is still a huge chunk of change to me...I'm just saying that its not an "intimidating" amount to me.

Damn...I played bad. Sorry guys, you "sweaters" deserved better.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw, anyone remember the url for that site that shows a player's history of getting in the money at all PokerStar's tourneys?
www.thepokerdb.com
If anyone's curious:Northerngent (guy who knocked out Assani) has 190K in careeer PS Tourney winnings.

The other guy, reraiseallin, has 6K. Looked like mostly NL events for both.

quick question:

I didn't see the offer. Not sure if I would've taken it or not. I think that my experience playing deep in these tourneys gives me a huge advantage over other players(not that you would be able to tell by my terrible play tonight though). I might've considered it though....not really sure. I'm very disappointed in my play though...thats for sure. I had a ton of fortunate breaks tonight, and I really didn't take advantage of them by messing up so much once we got to the final 3.BTW, its a "no brainer" to most people because the stakes are so much higher than what they are used to playing and they want to play it safe. Thats just not my style...I've been in these situations before, I've sat down in a series of $5000 heads up matches, I recently played in a $10K buy in event. Now don't get me wrong- $13K is still a huge chunk of change to me...I'm just saying that its not an "intimidating" amount to me.
but, in this case1st paid like $19k, 2nd paid $12k, and 3rd paid $7

so, a guaranteed $13k day is better than finishing 2nd. even if you think you're better than these guys and aren't as influenced by the monetary amount as others...you still have to avoid any bad beats and probably get some good luck to win this event at that point. as things worked out, you could have nearly doubled your winnings by taking the deal.

I wish you had won so this wouldn't look like second guessing after the fact. I figured you were pretty confident in your chances and after the money you've made in the past couple days, this doesn't look like as much as it would to most people. Still, a great job to finish in 3rd. No reason to be too upset with your play.

quick question:

but, in this case1st paid like $19k, 2nd paid $12k, and 3rd paid $7

so, a guaranteed $13k day is better than finishing 2nd. even if you think you're better than these guys and aren't as influenced by the monetary amount as others...you still have to avoid any bad beats and probably get some good luck to win this event at that point. as things worked out, you could have nearly doubled your winnings by taking the deal.

I wish you had won so this wouldn't look like second guessing after the fact. I figured you were pretty confident in your chances and after the money you've made in the past couple days, this doesn't look like as much as it would to most people. Still, a great job to finish in 3rd. No reason to be too upset with your play.
I would chop under any one of the following circumstances:-I'm getting a good deal(more money than my stack indicates I should get)

-I have some reason to believe that I am not the best player remaining

-The difference between being the next person out and the money offered in the chop is signicant enough that it would have me regretting my decision not to chop afterwards if I was knocked out.

As I said, I never saw that they offered to chop, so I didn't even think all of this through. I don't think I would've, but if they reasoned with me, I might have.

And, yes, unfortunately I think theres a ton of reason to be upset with my play.

As always, though, your opinions are greatly appriciated. Thanks.

I would chop under any one of the following circumstances:

would this info have influenced your decision?
If anyone's curious:

Northerngent (guy who knocked out Assani) has 190K in careeer PS Tourney winnings.

The other guy, reraiseallin, has 6K. Looked like mostly NL events for both.

I would chop under any one of the following circumstances:

would this info have influenced your decision?
If anyone's curious:

Northerngent (guy who knocked out Assani) has 190K in careeer PS Tourney winnings.

The other guy, reraiseallin, has 6K.  Looked like mostly NL events for both.
Eh. I dunno. The 6K doesn't impress me all that much- if you look at it, it was mostly at lower buy ins. The 190K is obviously impressive. I think I'm too arrogant to chop though....I'll be honest- I think very highly of my game. In fact, I think that held me back for a long time in becoming a better poker player(go look up some early threads under "jwvdcw" where I seemed to rather be right than to learn). So I don't know if my ego would allow me to admit that some unknown guy playing online is better than me(surely I could admit that a known pro is).My total stats aren't that impressive because I just started recently playing on Stars. But if you look at my recent results, I think they'd stack up against anyone:

02/06/2006 Hold'em NL $150 3 $7,491

01/31/2006 Hold'em NL $100 4 $2,544

(was away playing in the Borgata Open for 10 days in between these 2)

01/16/2006 Hold'em NL $50 9 $142

01/09/2006 Hold'em NL $150 21 $449

01/06/2006 Hold'em NL $150 1 $13,125

01/02/2006 Omaha PL $100 3 $624

I understand your points though, and I'm not ruling out that I may have chopped had I seen their requests. I'm not too hung up on it though. I'm very happy to be leaving with a winning day today after having such a rough afternoon(lost about $4K).

And to be honest, I didn't deserve to win today. I got clearly outplayed in the final 3. I was too scared to fire another bullet against Reraiseallin when I had bluffed twice, and I completely misread northernagent on that Q5 hand- I never could imagine him checking an 8 on the flop of A-8-x, and I went with my read. I'm very very upset at being outplayed; I'm somewhat upset about missing out on $12K more.

Total tourney winnings can be misleading in many ways as well. You could have a great cash game player who dabbles in tournaments. Or you could have a rich retired businessman who plays nearly every tourney on Stars like a maniac because he can.

But, incomplete information is better than no information at all I suppose. BTW, gg tonight AF.

Ok...I'm relooking over northerngent's tourney results, and I must say that I am very impressed. I'm a bit confused as to why he mixes such small tourneys like $3 ones in with the big ones(and that leads me to believe that he is playing in a ton of them), but his results are phenomenal. Very hard for me to put forth an argument that I'm a strong MTT player than him after looking at that.

Ok...I'm relooking over northerngent's tourney results, and I must say that I am very impressed. I'm a bit confused as to why he mixes such small tourneys like $3 ones in with the big ones(and that leads me to believe that he is playing in a ton of them), but his results are phenomenal. Very hard for me to put forth an argument that I'm a strong MTT player than him after looking at that.
I'm pretty sure he's played to be the weekly TLB leader before, and that requires playing a lot of tournaments at different buyins.

Wow. Extremely lucky here, but how the hell does he call with A-10 when we're 2 spots away from the money??

PokerStars Game #3888934237: Tournament #19224705, Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2006/02/06 - 23:46:15 (ET)

Table '19224705 24' Seat #2 is the button

Seat 1: conns (10787 in chips)

Seat 2: nightman1234 (9410 in chips)

Seat 3: drbob0008 (11853 in chips)

Seat 5: jwvdcw (28756 in chips)

Seat 6: cousinvny (10796 in chips)

Seat 7: bl13174 (25276 in chips)

Seat 8: maauuut (12199 in chips)

conns: posts the ante 50

nightman1234: posts the ante 50

drbob0008: posts the ante 50

jwvdcw: posts the ante 50

cousinvny: posts the ante 50

bl13174: posts the ante 50

maauuut: posts the ante 50

drbob0008: posts small blind 400

jwvdcw: posts big blind 800

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [4d Kh]

cousinvny: calls 800

bl13174: folds

maauuut: folds

conns: folds

nightman1234: folds

drbob0008: calls 400

jwvdcw: raises 27906 to 28706 and is all-in

RingLord is connected

cousinvny: calls 9946 and is all-in

drbob0008: folds

cousinvny said, "gg"

cousinvny said, "jw"

*** FLOP *** [6s Ks 7h]

*** TURN *** [6s Ks 7h] [Kd]

*** RIVER *** [6s Ks 7h Kd] [Ac]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

jwvdcw: shows [4d Kh] (three of a kind, Kings)

cousinvny: shows [Ts As] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
Cuz they were soooooooooooted. :lmao: I see it all the time.

Very impressive start, jwvdcw. You're crushing the pace for that 100k.

For those who aren't checking the front page, it's in the first post:

4 days

+$17,686

Average: +$4421/day

Very impressive start, jwvdcw. You're crushing the pace for that 100k.

For those who aren't checking the front page, it's in the first post:

4 days

+$17,686

Average: +$4421/day
This is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously.

Day 4

2/6/06

Not a good start.

***** Hand History for Game 3505416986 *****

$2000 NL Texas Hold'em - Sunday, February 05, 17:25:11 EDT 2006

Table Table  64794 (Real Money)

Seat 4 is the button

Total number of players : 9

Seat 1: Im__Your_ATM ( $1508 )

Seat 2: gambler2551 ( $917 )

Seat 3: krames44 ( $2084.50 )

Seat 6: misterB65 ( $1193 )

Seat 8: shaban ( $2465 )

Seat 9: ih8luckyfish ( $2447 )

Seat 10: royalflush61 ( $597 )

Seat 5: AssaniFisher ( $1900 )

Seat 4: DaringDuck ( $1970 )

AssaniFisher posts small blind [$10].

misterB65 posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to AssaniFisher [  Ac Kc ]

shaban raises [$40].

ih8luckyfish folds.

royalflush61 folds.

Im__Your_ATM folds.

gambler2551 folds.

>You have options at Table  68514 (No DP) Table!.

krames44 folds.

DaringDuck folds.

>You have options at Table  67619 (No DP) Table!.

AssaniFisher raises [$115].

misterB65 calls [$105].

>You have options at Table  66082 (No DP) Table!.

shaban calls [$85].

** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 2c, 7s ]

AssaniFisher bets [$200].

misterB65 raises [$400].

shaban folds.

AssaniFisher folds.

misterB65 does not show cards.

misterB65 wins $972
Why not 3-bet this flop? What do you put him on, set? Board is 3-suited, you do have runner club outs. The pot is offering almost 5-1 on a call to see a club come on the turn. Do you think an A or K doesnt win it for you? What does he put you on?His min-raise makes me think he is also on overcards. A set should call you here and bet the turn. I would love to see his cards, I bet AQ or AK.
He didn't min. raise...he made it $600
Makes much more sense now.Still pretty ballzy unless he has a heck of a read on you. With 1 left to act and raising 400 more, JJ-AA. A set should not play that fast.
actually I think I was mistaken. You're right...he did min. raise. I think a set is possible here. I think hes firing on the turn and I'm going to be in a tough spot. I think I'm beat and I don't know how badly, and he is the aggressor...I don't like this spot.
Well, here is my thought process:You are on the button, V1 in the SB and V2 in MP. V2 limps, you raise ~5BB from the cutoff, V1 and V2 call. ~15BB in the middle

(~15BB) T 7 2 rainbow. Texture of flop is that is missed everyone. Checked to you the raiser and you put out 2/3 of the pot continuation bet. You probably make continuation bets 99% of the time when you are the PF raiser.

V1 knows you dont have a flush draw. He doesnt know how much you like your hand. I would guess he puts you about 1/3 to be a complete bluff, 1/3 to be drawing, and 1/3 to a made hand. I read his min-raise as "how much do you like your hand?" Raising into V2 is weird, which makes me think he is trying to get you HU and does not have a set. Would you play a set like this?

Its 10BB to you, there is ~45BB in the middle giving you just about 5-1 to make a call. If a club does come, you are ~4-1 to hit it again on the river. Will he bet more the 1/4 of the pot on the turn with you calling his CR? Your flush would be hidden well.

The 3-bet would be if you think he is trying to put you off your hand. What would the chances be of him folding? For me, if I have a strong hand, I always wants to give my opponent a chance to put more chips in the middle. A 3-bet would be advertising AA-KK, again I would play a set slower.

In the end with the texture of the flop, your 5BB raise PF, you having position against a CR with t72R flop ... I think you have the best hand. I dont know your opponent, maybe you had a read on him. I dont like a fold here though, not with what the pot is offering you and possibly 6 more outs with AK.

Did V1 have any image? Were you able to pick up anything 4-tabling? I would imagine your image was one of trying to steal the blinds from the button more than 25% of the time. Do you think he would call 4BB from the SB with AT?

:2cents:
I don't think I had a loose image really yet. I think his raise with someone still to act is a very powerful move. I don't think its very likely that all 6 of my potential outs were live. I understand his move if he thinks that I'm trying to by the pot there with a continuation bet. If hes going to do that then I'll crush him when I have a legit hand by smooth calling there and letting him fire again on the turn before I come over the top, and he'll start to think twice about that move. In the meantime, I think I'll wait for a better opportunity.
Sorry for not letting this hand go. You are playing very profitable right now, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but calling here should set up your better down the road. Aside from the pot odds you are getting, calling here makes him consider firing another round on the turn. This is what you want to setup for $200. He would need to bet at least 1/2 the pot which would be more than $500. This is the choice you want to be in. He needs to know you will call him with position and force him to put more of his chips out in the middle. Him knowing he cant put you off pots when you have position is the key. He needs to know that if he CRs you, you will infact force him to put more money in the middle even if you are drawing to hands. This should garuntee you $500 more each time you are in this poisition. :2cents: - looking forward to reading more today :)

quick question that might have already been covered:

have your quit your day job? I find that my day job has major influence on my nighttime play. But, it's just hard to give up all the benefits. When you figure in roughly 1.5 times your pay at a day job, it becomes hard to replace with poker. At least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread