What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Complain about the officials thread *** (1 Viewer)

Did the refs cost Seattle the game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
#1- The D-Jax PI. This call should not have been made and was made only because the referee was influenced by Chris Hope's reaction to what he thought was a push off. While the replayed showed that D-Jax extended his arm towards Mr. Hopes chest he did not gain leverage or seperation because of the extension of his arm. For there to be interference the receiver has to gain seperation due to his actions. Clearly, that didn't happen. Mr. Hope reacted towards the official because he got beat, clear and simple. The official took at least 1.5-2.0 seconds before he reached for the flag. :rolleyes:
Sometimes referees don't see a penalty and thus don't call it. It is completely illogical to argue that a referee should not call a penalty he sees. I completely disagree that Jackson's pushoff gave him no advantage. It clearly put Hope back on his heels and prevented him for making a play on the ball. The real person to fault here is Jackson, as he probably didn't need the push to score.It was a penalty, period. So this call was correct. 0/1.

#2- The Roethlisberger TD. While this was a close play I never saw the nose of the ball touch or get to the goal line. This was 3rd down so we don't know if Pittsburgh would have scored on 4th down? To be honest I'm not as upset at this call as most are around the country.
I personally felt he scored when I viewed the replays, because I felt that the ball as positioned under his arm broke the plane made by the front of the white end zone line in midair before he was pushed back. That was the call on the field, and there definitely was no compelling evidence to overturn it. So the only possible complaint is that the wrong call was made. How can one argue that on a subjective call that close?I disagree this was a bad call. It was a close, subjective call. That means people may disagree with the referee's take, but it doesn't make it a bad call. 0/2.

#3- Sean Locklear holding penalty on the pass to Jerramy Stevens to the Pittsburgh 1- yard line. This holding call was questionable, at best. All the analysts agreed that it was a poor call. :hot: Seattle would have had the ball at the 1-yard line with the #1 touchdown back in the backfield and the Seattle offensive line dominating Pittsburghs line all day. TD Seahawks.
Again, your viewpoint amounts to expecting the referee to ignore a penalty he saw. This is illogical. The referee saw a penalty and called it. 0/3.
#4- Nobody's talking about the Joey Porter horse collar tackle on Shaun Alexanders 15 yard run in the 3rd quarter. This was an obvious penalty and one that the officials were suppose to be looking for because of the recent injuries caused by this type of tackle. Porter clearly pulled SA down by grabbing on to the back of Alexanders shoulder pads. 15 additional yards and added momentum, lost.
You are wrong. The tackle in question was not a horse collar tackle as defined in the NFL rules. So a non-call was correct. 0/4.
#5- Hasselbecks penalty for "blocking"? below the waist as he made the tackle on Ike Taylor after his interception. How do you get a penalty for blocking when your opponent has the ball? Watch the play .... Hasselbeck makes a great tackle and that's all. I still can't figure out why the referee :nerd: made the call that he did? Horrible call. Added yards for Pittsburgh and added momentum.
This has been thoroughly discussed in other threads. This penalty call was correct per NFL rules. Stupid rule, but correct call. 0/5.
#6- On the next series when Randle El throws the beautiful pass to Hines Ward for the TD Roethlisberger, behind the line of scrimmage, blocks a Seahawk clearly below the waist to assist Randle El in having more time to throw the TD pass. Watch the replay .... this was clearly, by definition, a block below the waist and should have been called to negate the TD. For this to happen 3 plays after the Hasselbeck call and to not call it on Roethlisberger? :confused:
As others have pointed out, Roethlisberger's block was legal per NFL rules. You aren't showing a command of the NFL rule book here. 0/6.
#7- I believe it was on the play that Hasselbeck through the PI, the Pittsburgh linebacker on the left side was offsides by at least 1 yard before the snap was made. You could see it clear as day live and especially on the replay. This offsides would have taken away the PI and gave Seattle the ball back in scoring position.
I don't know for sure about this one, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. 1/7.
#8- In the 4th Quarter when Pittsburgh had the ball I was watching the time clock run down as Roethlisberger was ready to take the snap from center the clock reached ZERO then Roethlisberger looked back to the referee behind him and called timeout. The time clock was at 0 at least 1 second before the time out was asked for by Big Ben and the ref gave it to him? The analysts on ABC only explanation was that the referee can't watch the clock and the QB at the same time? WTF? If that's the case then go to the replay and get the call right.
I thought this was close enough that if it wasn't the Super Bowl and if there weren't other calls being debated, this would have gotten no airplay. It amounts to looking for more things to pile on with. Even if it was a missed call, that leaves you at 2/8.
Let's be clear about one thing the Seahawks did not have 1, 2 or 3 bad calls go against them, they had as I counted them, 8 bad calls go against them...
From your list, there were 2 missed calls and no bad calls. On the other side were candidate bad/missed calls including the Stevens fumble, which was ruled incomplete, the block in the back on Roethlisberger during the interception return, and possible missed holding calls. It was a wash, and I'd venture to say that is about average for an NFL game, or maybe even below average.If you're going to continue ranting about this, at least try to get the rules right.
I agree with nearly everything that JWB states here.

I'm convinced, and I expect my sternly worded letter to the commissioner will have that Lombardi trophy on its way to Seattle within the next few business days.
I would imagin that Sea would turn down the present trophy on grounds that it has been "tainted" and request a brand new one.

The officials sucked and the NFL needs to re-evaluate things after a majority of media, fans, and even third party non-sports people called the officiating into question.
It's hard to say that the majority of the media and fans think one way or another on this.
No it isn't. If you have read, listened or watched any coverage of the Super Bowl you would know the answer on this. Even some classy Steeler fans have acknowledged this.
Oh I see, you call them classy just because they agree with your opinion.

The Pittsburgh fans want to call us Seahawk fans whiny little babies but if these calls would have been called on their team do we really think they would have been quiet on these message boards and proclaimed the Seahawks as the better team? I think not.
Good posting. I agree wholeheartedly with this comment and I don't think a single Pitt fan could refute it.
Are you kidding me?!? There would be between 5 and 10 bannings a day in here alone. There would be triple the amount of "refs sucks!" threads.Seattle got screwed big time and I honestly can't look at the Steelers championship without a * on it.
The Herd on ESPN radio yesterday stated he would never acknowledge the Steelers as Supber Bowl XL champs. :lmao:
full disclosure, he should have told everyone he's born and raised in Issiquah, WA and probably a big Seattle homer.

The officials sucked and the NFL needs to re-evaluate things after a majority of media, fans, and even third party non-sports people called the officiating into question.
It's hard to say that the majority of the media and fans think one way or another on this.
No it isn't. If you have read, listened or watched any coverage of the Super Bowl you would know the answer on this. Even some classy Steeler fans have acknowledged this.
No, they are classy because they agree with the majority of people regarding the officiating on Sunday. In case you haven't noticed, some Steeler fans have no class and it has been fun to watch. :thumbup:

No, they are classy because they agree with the majority of people regarding the officiating on Sunday. In case you haven't noticed, some Steeler fans have no class and it has been fun to watch. :thumbup:
This is only true if the "majority of people" are like MovinTheChains and either don't know or don't care what the rules actually are concerning pass interference, holding, horsecollar tackles, blocking on the line of scrimmage vs. in the open field after a turnover, what touching the pylon means, etc.

This is only true if the "majority of people" are like MovinTheChains and either don't know or don't care what the rules actually are concerning pass interference, holding, horsecollar tackles, blocking on the line of scrimmage vs. in the open field after a turnover, what touching the pylon means, etc.
See...this is what I'm talking about. This is GOLD! :lmao:

Boys and Girls,

Earlier today, I had high hopes that this thread would drift away into oblivion. We had a two hour break before Irish's post, and one hour of peace before Tommyboy's thoughts. Whether you hate the officials or whether you hate the people who hate the officials this thread has past it's usefulness. All points and counterpoints have been beaten to death and often rehashed.

To all you haters : PLEASE ALLOW THIS THREAD TO DIE AND REST IN PEACE FOR ETERNITY.

Have a nice day,

Sea Bass

I'm glad I could make you happy. Believe what you want to believe. Ignorance of the rules has contributed to the perception that the officiating was worse than it actually was. See my signature if you need more help. For every MovinTheChains, there's a Just Win Baby. For every Colin Cowherd, there's a Rick Reilly and Keith Olbermann who are saying there's just not much of a story here. Now go ahead and make your witty retort without actually discussing anything of substance.

I'm glad I could make you happy. Believe what you want to believe. Ignorance of the rules has contributed to the perception that the officiating was worse than it actually was. See my signature if you need more help. For every MovinTheChains, there's a Just Win Baby. For every Colin Cowherd, there's a Rick Reilly and Keith Olbermann who are saying there's just not much of a story here. Now go ahead and make your witty retort without actually discussing anything of substance.
:boxing: BAM! :towelwave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread