What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Complain about the officials thread *** (1 Viewer)

Did the refs cost Seattle the game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:   X infinity.

The refs didn't cost anyone anything.  The officiating was just fine tonite.
You're not allowed to tackle a guy below the waist? Good to know...
Yup. A couple of questionable calls. Show me the game that hasn't had any. There were some much much MUCH worse officiating efforts during this year's playoffs. The bad calls tonite were not game changing nor of greater numbers than the average game. Its done. Sorry if you can't live with it.
The argument is not about a call being questionable, the issue is that the calls were questionable at crucial junctures in the game.No delay of game is a big deal.

A 1/2 yard run that was about to be spotted at the 3 inch mark making it 4th and goal but magically turns into a TD as the Ref goes to spot it is a big deal.

a ticky tack push off that negates a TD is a big deal.

A missed holding call when Randel El throws the TD is a HUGE deal.

A phantom holding call that costs the seahawks 30 yds and a 1st and goal is monumental.

Yes every game has mistakes by the Refs, but when one team consistantly comes out on the short end of calls that come at crucial moments in the game, there is reason to complain.
Oddly enough, We counted close to 7 holding calls by the Seahawks. None of which were called.But I am sure you won;t mention how the Flying Hawaiin was TACKLED on a play late in the third by on of the guards.

Push off was a push off. TO say otherwise your just seeing what you want to see. Was it a bad call. NO. Could he of NOT called it. I am sure, but don;t say a GOOD call was a bad call ebcause you didn't like it. It was the correct call. PERIOD. Get over it.

Bens run, was so close to say it wasn't means your lying. I dont know... no one really knew if he made it or not. In one replay it appears the ball was over the line, in another it doesn't.

If every callw as made, The Seahawks might of not even scored int his game, they would of been consistantly getting holding calls...

SO careful what you wish for.

D Jax push off, B S and VERY late
Sorry, but that was a good call. DJax DID push off and it DID affect the TD. Had he not done that, the defender would have probably been in position to make a play on the ball.
You are wrong, he did not affect the defender. It still was a good call, though. The reason it got called was bc Jackson's arm was extended enough to affect the defender. However, had he not done that, he still would have been in position to make the catch bc he had over a yard of separation.
He had separation because his hand was in the defenders chest. If he had "a yard of separation", how could he even be in contact with the defender?? That doesn't even make sense.
When he contacted the defender, the defender didn't even move. Plus, the ball was thrown to Jackson's side. So when DJ broke for the ball, he easily had a yard of separation. Their contact had no affect on the defender's chance at the ball.That being said, it's the right call bc he touched the defender w his arm outstretched while breaking the other way. There is no way for the official to see what we saw without slo-mo. He made the right call.
Doesn't matter if he didn't move. He was stopped from moving with DJax. It makes a HUGE difference. His contact DID have an affect. I know it's not the same game, but I play flag football almost every week. When a WR pushes an arm against you, it does make a big difference on what play you can make on the ball.
Well, watch the replay again. He was already on his heels when DJ's arm touched him. I can't imagine that if DJ had kept his arms at his side, that the defender would have had any better chance at that ball.
We will never know. That is why the penalty exists and was called.

My complaint is about those people who truly believe in their heart that the refs cost the Seahawks the title and refuse to say it publically because it is easier not to do so. That is not classy. Looking at the polls, the overwhelming majority of football fans feel that way. Its become a legitimate point and people should feel free to make it.

I bet you anything that there are many in the Steelers organization itself that feel this way too. If the NFL doesn't want a major PR mightmare on its hands, those people better be free to voice their feelings. Otherwise, with today's fan, I think it will permanently damage the game.
Didn't you say this in your locked thread already? :unsure:
Well I'll add that the NFL has to do something here and something big. There's just been far too many bad calls in general lately. Either a major revamp of the referee crews, or getting rid of instant replay in its current form, or something. This was bad news for the NFL and they need to get on top of it.
They don't have to do a bloody thing...it was a game officiated by human beings. Some mistakes were made, but it certainly wasn't the worst game that i've ever seen, and I have no doubt that the officials called each and every call exactly the way that they saw them.If you're implying that the game was fixed, say it, if you're not, get off of your high horse and get over it. The team that made the most of it's opportunities won the game today, the officials didn't win or lose the game for either team.

:rolleyes:   X infinity.

The refs didn't cost anyone anything.  The officiating was just fine tonite.
You're not allowed to tackle a guy below the waist? Good to know...
Yup. A couple of questionable calls. Show me the game that hasn't had any. There were some much much MUCH worse officiating efforts during this year's playoffs. The bad calls tonite were not game changing nor of greater numbers than the average game. Its done. Sorry if you can't live with it.
The argument is not about a call being questionable, the issue is that the calls were questionable at crucial junctures in the game.No delay of game is a big deal.

A 1/2 yard run that was about to be spotted at the 3 inch mark making it 4th and goal but magically turns into a TD as the Ref goes to spot it is a big deal.

a ticky tack push off that negates a TD is a big deal.

A missed holding call when Randel El throws the TD is a HUGE deal.

A phantom holding call that costs the seahawks 30 yds and a 1st and goal is monumental.

Yes every game has mistakes by the Refs, but when one team consistantly comes out on the short end of calls that come at crucial moments in the game, there is reason to complain.
Oddly enough, We counted close to 7 holding calls by the Seahawks. None of which were called.But I am sure you won;t mention how the Flying Hawaiin was TACKLED on a play late in the third by on of the guards.

Push off was a push off. TO say otherwise your just seeing what you want to see. Was it a bad call. NO. Could he of NOT called it. I am sure, but don;t say a GOOD call was a bad call ebcause you didn't like it. It was the correct call. PERIOD. Get over it.

Bens run, was so close to say it wasn't means your lying. I dont know... no one really knew if he made it or not. In one replay it appears the ball was over the line, in another it doesn't.

If every callw as made, The Seahawks might of not even scored int his game, they would of been consistantly getting holding calls...

SO careful what you wish for.
Dude...I counted 743 holding calls against the Steelers tonight that went unflagged. Too much Iron City?

:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river you ####ing #####ies! Tell someone who cares. What else needs to be done. Pitt came out and won the Indy game when they got punked on a bad call. Wave that towel while you can, cuz these punk Hawks fans cannot take that fact that this was their only chance. Suk a ####!!!

Wave that towel. We got one for the thumb.

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:
punk Hawks fans? You need a reality adjustment. The people complaining about the refs largely are just fans that wanted to see a good game.

And I TIVO'd Bens run a million times. You idiots dont realize he only has to cross the front of the white line, not the back. Clearly a TD. So :cry: again.
Tell that to the poll "idiot."

And I TIVO'd Bens run a million times. You idiots dont realize he only has to cross the front of the white line, not the back. Clearly a TD. So :cry: again.
Dude, your team just won the Super Bowl. You think you'd be in a good mood. Why all the hate?

It was too close to call. He might have scored. If not, he might have scored on 4th and inches with a sneak. Not worth harping on and on about it. It was so close that there's no way that the play could have been overturned.

Wow! Pretty funny I got attacked pretty quick on that one. :boxing: :boxing:

Where are the Burgh fans at??

ETA: Im not a hater. I give credit where credit is due. The Hawks were and will be a damn fine team and had me smackin my chest a few times to get the old ticker going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darrell Jackson did push off in the end zone. Was it very blatant? No. Could it have gone uncalled? Yes. But he did push off.

Sean Locklear did hold Clark Haggans on the pass to the 1. Was it the "there's holding on every play" type of hold? Perhaps. But he did hold.

These weren't blatantly blown calls that showed a misunderstanding of the rules. They were borderline judgment calls that happened to impact key plays.
The bigger problem I have with the DJackson play was how late it was called...it was like once the ref realized that it was a TD, then he decided to throw it.
No, if you actually pay attention to the replay you'll see that the official reached for the flag and went through the motion of throwing it but missed. He had to reach back down to grab the flag to throw it.
I noticed that too, he did seem to have trouble getting the flag out.
The power of TiVo. I replayed most if not all of the "controversial" calls. The Big Ben td was close. From the sideline angle, Ben's elbow was over the line. Most of his elbow pad was over the line. The ball was tucked in his arm. Hard to imagine that at least a little part of the ball didn't cross the plane of the goalline. The DJax push was a pushoff. Go figure that the pushoff king Irvin didn't think it was a penalty. If he hadn't of pushed off, he would have scored. He had the defender beat.

Attacked? I agreed with you. Is winning not enough? If you don't get to have an iFight with some anonymous person do you feel somehow unsatisfied?

Every call we`ve discussed went against the Seahewks. Most of the people in this thread had no rooting interest in the outcome yet still believe there was a problem with the officiating of the game. Congrats to the Steelers but man, the Refs were awful! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

ETA: Im not a hater. I give credit where credit is due. The Hawks were and will be a damn fine team and had me smackin my chest a few times to get the old ticker going.
I wasnt attacking you. There are many examples of bad officiating in favor of the Steelers dont use that "one" call some ppl will question as an example.

Not going to defend you if you go low class.

I edited my post but wanted to post again in case people did not see it. I said it before and I'll say it again. My hat goes off to the Hawks. If there was one team in the NFL that refused the Steelers to get to their QB, it was the Hawks. It was downright frustrating.

My complaint is about those people who truly believe in their heart that the refs cost the Seahawks the title and refuse to say it publically because it is easier not to do so. That is not classy. Looking at the polls, the overwhelming majority of football fans feel that way. Its become a legitimate point and people should feel free to make it.

I bet you anything that there are many in the Steelers organization itself that feel this way too. If the NFL doesn't want a major PR mightmare on its hands, those people better be free to voice their feelings. Otherwise, with today's fan, I think it will permanently damage the game.
Well I'll add that the NFL has to do something here and something big. There's just been far too many bad calls in general lately. Either a major revamp of the referee crews, or getting rid of instant replay in its current form, or something. This was bad news for the NFL and they need to get on top of it.
They don't have to do a bloody thing...it was a game officiated by human beings. Some mistakes were made, but it certainly wasn't the worst game that i've ever seen, and I have no doubt that the officials called each and every call exactly the way that they saw them.If you're implying that the game was fixed, say it, if you're not, get off of your high horse and get over it. The team that made the most of it's opportunities won the game today, the officials didn't win or lose the game for either team.
The game is also funded by human beings. And if those human beings begin to see a pattern of iffy officiating - not just in SB XL, but in many other playoff games - that is above-and-beyond what they are willing to accept, those human beings may just go elsewhere with their entertainment dollar. The competition for the entertainment dollar is only getting fiercer - the NFL needs to take notice when this many customers get upset. That is smart business.

I think there were some poor calls as well. Seattle still made plenty of mistakes on their own. Pretty ugly game all around for it being the Super Bowl.

thought there were two obviously bad calls: one the holding call on the stevens catch near the goal line. two, the tackle by Hasselbeck right after that.

the djax WAS a push off, he arm barred him and fully extended his arm to get seperation, that's the definition of offensive pass interference no matter what Steve Young says.

the rest of the game was called fairly IMO.

I could really care less who won this game (I'm a Lions fan with no money on the line) but that DJax call was a horrible joke. Please just admit it Steelers fans.

BTW, Pitsburgh didn't get all the calls. There was a pretty blatant block in the back on the Seattle INT return. The refs gave Pittsburgh an awful spot on a third down play, where he still got the first down, barely, when it looked like the player got the first down by about two yards.

Most of the "bad" calls were judgment calls that could have gone either way. No awful call, except the Hasselbeck personal foul, just a lot of close calls that largely went Pitsburgh's way but were entirely defensible.

It was a game of inches, and in any close game, some plays are going to be critical.

Steeler fan here. I don't think there's any question that Ben scored. The ball just needs to barely crack the front of the goal line to be a TD, and I think that was shown on replay.

On the larger issue of the game in total, I cannot claim to be unbiased, but I can say that there wasn't any call that I haven't seen many times before given the same action on the field.

A couple of examples might make my point more understandable:

1. Jackson pushed off on his catch. It isn't always called, but I've certainly seen it called before, too.

2. Farrior and Haggans were held when they were in advantageous positions on the way to the QB. I've seen holding called many more times than not called when you see that type of line play.

I do think it's absolutely ridiculous to claim the NFL somehow fixed the game for the Steelers. Surely there would have been a penalty on Herndon's interception, don't you think?

It is unfortunate that the penalties happened on significant Seattle plays, but that doesn't mean that the penalties were bogus. It's not like the play ended, and five seconds later the flag was thrown.

But even if a portion of the calls were somehow arbitrarily deemed incorrect, I think it's far too simplistic to suggest Seattle wins the game. Let's say Jackson's TD stands insted of the offensive PI. The Steelers had 3 quarters of game left, and while the game is different, it's not automatically Seattle's win. The same goes for the other calls. Many things about the game change if the calls go the other way.

All I can say is congratulations to the Seahawks for the best season in their history. There is class up and down the organization and its fans. Good luck getting a Super Bowl championship in the next few years.

Outstretching an arm against a DB is the very definition of pushing off. Could it not have been called? Sure. But dont say it was an awful call. The Steelers beat Indy with an awful call. You cannot blame a game on the refs.

I find it disturbing that almost 60% of you think seattle lost the game because of the refs:

they failed to convert a TD in the 1st qtr.

they stopped going to Djax after he had about 40 catches in the 1st qtr alone. Didn't go to him again.

Jeremy Stevens dropped 3 first down passes.

Shaun Alexander was not a factor in the game.

Their defense gave up the longest run in SB history, and also gave up an option TD. That's two huge plays in this game, which was low scoring.

They completely melted down at the end of the 1st half, costing them a FG or a TD possibility = zero pts when they needed at least 3.

They couldn't get the ball from Pittsburgh with 4 minutes left and everyone in the world knew it was going to be run, run, run. They gave up 2 first downs that effectively ended the game.

Seattle had plenty of chance to win this game, they just didn't.

I could really care less who won this game (I'm a Lions fan with no money on the line) but that DJax call was a horrible joke. Please just admit it Steelers fans.
Not a Steelers fan. And I disagree.

Nope. Watched it several times. Even had to replay it twice to explain to my wife. Djax pushed off. Whoever said the Pittsburg Oline was illegally downfield on the play where Ben completed to Ward at the 3, good call. Just replayed it on TiVo. 2 guys crossed the line. One barely went over the line and got back, but Max Starks was about a yard past the LOS when Ben threw the ball. Now, if anyone wants to call that a blatant miss by the refs is delusional.

My complaint is about those people who truly believe in their heart that the refs cost the Seahawks the title and refuse to say it publically because it is easier not to do so.  That is not classy.  Looking at the polls, the overwhelming majority of football fans feel that way.  Its become a legitimate point and people should feel free to make it.

I bet you anything that there are many in the Steelers organization itself that feel this way too.  If the NFL doesn't want a major PR mightmare on its hands, those people better be free to voice their feelings.  Otherwise, with today's fan, I think it will permanently damage the game.
The game is also funded by human beings. And if those human beings begin to see a pattern of iffy officiating - not just in SB XL, but in many other playoff games - that is above-and-beyond what they are willing to accept, those human beings may just go elsewhere with their entertainment dollar. The competition for the entertainment dollar is only getting fiercer - the NFL needs to take notice when this many customers get upset. That is smart business.
Spin it as far as you can, but all you're showing is what a poor sport you are. Your most hated rival won its fifth championship. How sad that you can't suck it up and give credit where it's due. What's even worse is you:1. first picked the Bengals to beat them

2. argued with your system that the Colts were one of the strongest #1 seed ever

3. picked the Broncos to beat them

4. predicted the Seahawks would BLOW OUT the Steelers

All due to your precious system... which I specifically pointed out did not account for schedule difficulty among other things.

All in all, nothing but sour, sour grapes. Let's say you're correct that the officiating went the Steelers way. Isn't it true that in most games one team gets an advantage from the referees? Frankly, it seems more likely than not. While you never gave credit to the Steelers for overcoming bad calls vs. Indy, you can't wait to trash them when in your opinion they got the calls vs. the Seahawks.

Nothing but a sore loser, but being you're a Cleveland fan, I guess its appropriate. You certainly have plenty of experience with the losing part.

Nope. Watched it several times. Even had to replay it twice to explain to my wife. Djax pushed off. Whoever said the Pittsburg Oline was illegally downfield on the play where Ben completed to Ward at the 3, good call. Just replayed it on TiVo. 2 guys crossed the line. One barely went over the line and got back, but Max Starks was about a yard past the LOS when Ben threw the ball. Now, if anyone wants to call that a blatant miss by the refs is delusional.
I'm not an expert on this rule, but isn't it only a penalty if a lineman is more than two yards past the line of scrimmage? I could be wrong, and maybe it's different in college vs. the NFL, but I'm thinking that's the rule. Thanks if anyone can clarify.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

There was ONE, I repeat ONE terrible call in the game...

Hass's personal foul for the tackle was terrible.

All others were at minimum, debatable or the correct call.

Leave it alone.

It is unfortunate that the penalties happened on significant Seattle plays, but that doesn't mean that the penalties were bogus. It's not like the play ended, and five seconds later the flag was thrown.
That is not true. The referee wasn't going for a flag on Jackson's phatom PI call until AFTER Jackson caught the ball and until AFTER the defender started complaining. Only then did the ref move in the direction of his back pocket to pull the flag out.

I find it disturbing that almost 60% of you think seattle lost the game because of the refs:

they stopped going to Djax after he had about 40 catches in the 1st qtr alone. Didn't go to him again.

Their defense gave up the longest run in SB history, and also gave up an option TD. That's two huge plays in this game, which was low scoring.

They completely melted down at the end of the 1st half, costing them a FG or a TD possibility = zero pts when they needed at least 3.

They couldn't get the ball from Pittsburgh with 4 minutes left and everyone in the world knew it was going to be run, run, run. They gave up 2 first downs that effectively ended the game.

Steelers won fair and square IMO. I really hate the DJax touchdown call though. No way a big market WR doesn't get that call.

Congrats Steelers fans. Even if DJax gets that TD you still probably win the game, just would have been a little closer.

Some of those calls (for example Ben's TD and the push off interferance) could have gone either way. If they went in the Seahawks favor, everyone would be saying the refs jobed the Steelers instead.

Personally I think the only blantely bad call of the night was the block by Hasselbeck. The rest I thought were fine.

I hear that tears are really salty.

I'm not an expert on this rule, but isn't it only a penalty if a lineman is more than two yards past the line of scrimmage? I could be wrong, and maybe it's different in college vs. the NFL, but I'm thinking that's the rule. Thanks if anyone can clarify.
If so, then the guy who complained about that non-call has nothing to complain about. Starks might have gotten more than 2 yards past the LOS, but backed up.

That is not true. The referee wasn't going for a flag on Jackson's phatom PI call until AFTER Jackson caught the ball and until AFTER the defender started complaining. Only then did the ref move in the direction of his back pocket to pull the flag out.
Your opinion. Not how I saw it. The push happened as the ball is in the air. It does take some time for the referee to actually pull the flag out. Plus, he missed it and grabbed something else (the beanbag) on his first try.No way that was five seconds. Are you suggesting the referee cannot pause momentarily to be more sure of his call?

Wrong.

Steelers won fair and square IMO. I really hate the DJax touchdown call though. No way a big market WR doesn't get that call.

Congrats Steelers fans. Even if DJax gets that TD you still probably win the game, just would have been a little closer.
I'm pretty sure Randy Moss would have gotten called for that this year too. ;)

no rooting interest in the game other than hoping it was a good game (which it wasn't IMO)

did the calls change the game? I voted no. did they affect the game? absolutely. i would have voted "we'll never know" if that was an option. the officiating was awful. most all of the questionable calls went the Steelers way and all the blantant misses were against the Hawks.

the game really left a bad taste in my mouth, and again, i had no rooting interest. i just felt a little cheated that by the refs taking some of my enjoyment out of the game.

maybe the game turns out different if the phantom holding isn't called and Seattle knocks it in from the 1 to take the lead. I don't know. we'll never know. seattle had their chances and blew it. i think blaming refs is poor sportsmanship, but saying that didn't affect the game is delusional.

But even if a portion of the calls were somehow arbitrarily deemed incorrect, I think it's far too simplistic to suggest Seattle wins the game. Let's say Jackson's TD stands insted of the offensive PI. The Steelers had 3 quarters of game left, and while the game is different, it's not automatically Seattle's win. The same goes for the other calls. Many things about the game change if the calls go the other way.
That's fine, and that's fair. But, it's a head-scratcher how these things can occur to one team:1. Pass interference (DJax) that every expert I've heard on tv and radio has said was absurd. Result: Seattle -4pts (FG, no TD).

2. DJax TD. Pylon is part of the field. One step, kick pylon, ball crosses plane of goal. TD. But, refs say no. Result: Seattle -7pts.

3. Phantom hold on the pass to Jeremy Stevens, giving Seattle the ball on the 2 yard line with 4 plays to the guy who had 28 rushing TDs this year. I'd say the odds are about 99.99999% that he scores a TD, so I'm putting the result, again, Seattle -7pts.

4. Illegal block on a tackle. Right up there in the pantheon of stupid calls along with the stupid non-INT call on Taz in the Indy game. I don't know what those extra 15 yards does or doesn't do to Pittsburgh's chances to score, but I suspect it helped contribute in some way to the 7 points they chalked up on the Randel El TD.

5. Going back to the Roethlisberger TD, I don't think the replay conclusively tells us one thing over the other. All I know is that it's a bit conspicuous that, in addition to all the other critical calls that went against the 'Hawks, the line judge on Ben's TD held up the one hand to mark the spot short of the goal line as he ran towards the pile and then somehow changed his mind that it was a TD, making the onus on any replay even more difficult to over-turn in favor of Seattle. Who knows, maybe Bettis busts it in on 4th down, and this discussin is moot. But, put together, it's all a bit disconcerting if you're worried about the integrity of the NFL.

I count 18 points that Seattle legitimately scored but were removed by the officials. Plus two other calls that we can't quantify but were clearly critical calls that went in Pittsburgh's favor. I think I remember one call (illegal block) that wasn't called against Seattle and was, thus, favorable for the Steelers. What assumptions I can make from all this, I don't know. But, all I do know is that Seattle had to play against two opponents today and lost. If this were just a game of Pitt v. Seattle, I think we would've been treated to a much better and more legitimate contest.

XL = worst evah.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

There was ONE, I repeat ONE terrible call in the game...

Hass's personal foul for the tackle was terrible.

All others were at minimum, debatable or the correct call.

Leave it alone.
Amen. :thumbup:

Your opinion. Not how I saw it. The push happened as the ball is in the air. It does take some time for the referee to actually pull the flag out. Plus, he missed it and grabbed something else (the beanbag) on his first try.No way that was five seconds. Are you suggesting the referee cannot pause momentarily to be more sure of his call?
Watch it again. You can tell he wasn't throwing a flag until he saw Jackson catch the ball and the defender complain. I would bet a million bucks that if Jackson had dropped the ball, no flag would have been thrown.
Wrong.
Wow, what an argument you just made. :rolleyes:

they stopped going to Djax after he had about 40 catches in the 1st qtr alone.  Didn't go to him again.

Their defense gave up the longest run in SB history, and also gave up an option TD.  That's two huge plays in this game, which was low scoring.

They couldn't get the ball from Pittsburgh with 4 minutes left and everyone in the world knew it was going to be run, run, run.  They gave up 2 first downs that effectively ended the game.

I'm pretty sure Randy Moss would have gotten called for that this year too. ;)
Several WRs get away with that play and get the TD but who really cares? Steelers still win the game even if it's a TD so it doesn't much matter. Again, congrats Steelers fans, bravo!!!

That's fine, and that's fair. But, it's a head-scratcher how these things can occur to one team:1. Pass interference (DJax) that every expert I've heard on tv and radio has said was absurd. Result: Seattle -4pts (FG, no TD).

2. DJax TD. Pylon is part of the field. One step, kick pylon, ball crosses plane of goal. TD. But, refs say no. Result: Seattle -7pts.

3. Phantom hold on the pass to Jeremy Stevens, giving Seattle the ball on the 2 yard line with 4 plays to the guy who had 28 rushing TDs this year. I'd say the odds are about 99.99999% that he scores a TD, so I'm putting the result, again, Seattle -7pts.

4. Illegal block on a tackle. Right up there in the pantheon of stupid calls along with the stupid non-INT call on Taz in the Indy game. I don't know what those extra 15 yards does or doesn't do to Pittsburgh's chances to score, but I suspect it helped contribute in some way to the 7 points they chalked up on the Randel El TD.

5. Going back to the Roethlisberger TD, I don't think the replay conclusively tells us one thing over the other. All I know is that it's a bit conspicuous that, in addition to all the other critical calls that went against the 'Hawks, the line judge on Ben's TD held up the one hand to mark the spot short of the goal line as he ran towards the pile and then somehow changed his mind that it was a TD, making the onus on any replay even more difficult to over-turn in favor of Seattle. Who knows, maybe Bettis busts it in on 4th down, and this discussin is moot. But, put together, it's all a bit disconcerting if you're worried about the integrity of the NFL.

I count 18 points that Seattle legitimately scored but were removed by the officials. Plus two other calls that we can't quantify but were clearly critical calls that went in Pittsburgh's favor. I think I remember one call (illegal block) that wasn't called against Seattle and was, thus, favorable for the Steelers. What assumptions I can make from all this, I don't know. But, all I do know is that Seattle had to play against two opponents today and lost. If this were just a game of Pitt v. Seattle, I think we would've been treated to a much better and more legitimate contest.

XL = worst evah.
LOL, I've been watchng postgame stuff since the end of the game and I haven't heard anything said about that PI call other than it was called because he completely extended his arm right in front of the ref.And there's another thread explaining why DJax's TD wasn't a TD. The pylon is inbounds if he had established possession BEFORE touching it. You can be sure that if it were close, it would've been reviewed.

And if you can watch the Locklear play and NOT see him completely beaten by Haggans and grabbing him with his right arm, you need to watch more closely.

Carry on with the whining and complaining, though.

:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river you ####ing #####ies! Tell someone who cares. What else needs to be done. Pitt came out and won the Indy game when they got punked on a bad call. Wave that towel while you can, cuz these punk Hawks fans cannot take that fact that this was their only chance. Suk a ####!!!

Wave that towel. We got one for the thumb.

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:
You probably were not even born when the steelers won their first 4 so please do not say "We got one for our thumb". :thumbdown:

I am a Dolphins fan who was halfheartedly rooting for the Steelers in the big game even though I'm something of an admirer of the Bengals and hated to see what happened to Palmer and that bad luck team.I thought that the game was not ideally officiated, but it didn't make the Seahawks lose. They lost because they were so concerned with establishing their offensive plan in the first half, they forgot to score. That is inexcusable. They dominated the first half and got nothing out of it. When that happened, I knew this would be a Steelers win because that's the way this type of game goes.As to the calls...I agree with 3C's

If he hadn't of pushed off, he would have scored. He had the defender beat.
Jackson is to blame here. He didn't need the push off, but he went with it anyway right in front of an official. I can't blame the official at all for calling that one.I think Ben was pretty clearly in for the TD. The review was textbook -- there was no indisputable visual proof that the ball failed to cross the goal line because we cannot see the whole ball for Ben's arm. I think the hold on the Stevens play was holding, and I think the officials established that they called holding enough throughout the game to justify the call there. It wasn't the worst holding of the night, but the lineman did basically just tackle the defender.I think the offensive pass interference on Miller when he wasn't even the receiver was a terrible call that went against the Steelers. Can anybody explain that one?I think the call against Hasselbeck was similarly terrible. I understand why a flag was thrown on the play -- it looked at first as though he was going low on the lead blocker, not trying to get the guy with the ball. It should have been a picked up flag. I think the call on the Stevens catch ruled an incomplete pass was the worst of the night for the latish whistle just before a Steeler recovered the ball. They should have held the whistle until after the recovery at minimum. As it was, I believe they set it up for Seattle to get a huge and undeserved windfall of yardage if Holmgren would have been smart enough to challenge.I think the lack of a call on the helmet to helmet hit of Ward going out of bounds was a bad call.All in all, I thought the officiating evened out. The Seahawks were their own worst enemy (which you could see during their joke two minute drills at the end of each half), and they deserved to lose this game.

What I thought was total BS was how the League, in cahoots with ABC, moved the sideline towards the middle of the field TWICE when DJax was making those side line catches.......Cost us TWO TD's.....#####es!

Perhaps we just see it differently, but thanks for being civil in your disagreement.Per your #1:

I'll simply say that I've seen PI called before when a receiver pushes off the same extent as DJax. I have also seen it ignored. Nothing blatantly wrong about it to me.

Per your #2:

I do NOT know the rule, but I don't think touching the pylon equals being in bounds. I'm pretty sure that touching the pylon by definition is not out of bounds. However, I thought he touched down out of bounds after touching the pylon. So, if he had touched the pylon then landed in bounds, I'd agree that the call is wrong. But doing what he did, landing out of bounds, it was the correct call. I also see the replay booth not stopping to look at it as confirmation of how I interpret it. Again, I do not KNOW the rule. I'm applying it as best as I can.

Per your #3:

Again, I've seen holding called many times on the exact same type of play. This is like a charge/block in basketball. There's such a fine line. I don't think you can call it clearly an incorrect call.

Unfortunately, there's no partial credit. But I stand by my statement that you cannot conclude the Seahawks win if all of these calls go their way. It certainly makes it closer and forces the game to unfold differently. That I can agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread