What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Davis (1 Viewer)

looks like it has been a couple weeks since last entry in this thread...

this was in this week's usa today team reports on CAR...

"But this year Davis will be counted on to start at strong-side linebacker, a position previously held by Fields in 2002 and 2004 and Brandon Short last season."

this is most definitive word i have seen yet that looks like davis will NOT be the WLB, as was previously assumed/hoped...
KFFL.com has him listed as the starter at WLB - looks like we will have to wait and see.

"But this year Davis will be counted on to start at strong-side linebacker, a position previously held by Fields in 2002 and 2004 and Brandon Short last season."

this is most definitive word i have seen yet that looks like davis will NOT be the WLB, as was previously assumed/hoped...
KFFL.com has him listed as the starter at WLB - looks like we will have to wait and see.
I think it's pretty much set in stone that TD will be a SLB. The coach has said he will be playing the strong-side on numerous occasions.This obviously puts a smallish rock on the TD train track. However, he'll never leave the field and should easily net 6+ sacks filling the old Mark Fields role. Let's not forget that Fields posted 100+ tackles and 7.5 sacks his last full season as the Panthers' SLB.

As Weiner said Thomas Davis is going to man the strong side.

Last I read the Panthers really liked James Anderson. This caught my attention: Fox compared him to Witherspoon when he was coming out. The article said Anderson would get an opportunity to compete for the WLB starting spot. Not any world beaters for him to contend with either. Definitely someone under the radar to keep an eye on.

If that's the case, what happens to Chris Draft? Does he Inherit The Weak Side?

:popcorn:

Depth at MLB most likely, and maybe at SLB as well, although Seward is probably to be Davis' primary backup. Looks to be a four way scrum for the Will right now among Adams, Anderson, Draft and Diggs. I don't think Draft has much chance there though.

Depth at MLB most likely, and maybe at SLB as well, although Seward is probably to be Davis' primary backup. Looks to be a four way scrum for the Will right now among Adams, Anderson, Draft and Diggs. I don't think Draft has much chance there though.
What do you all think about trading Lofa Tatupu for Thomas Davis and Lavar Arrington?

What do you all think about trading Lofa Tatupu for Thomas Davis and Lavar Arrington?
:X

I wouldn't do it. If Davis does indeed stay at SAM then he and Arrington may be clones ... high sack numbers, adequate tackle figures.

I'd much prefer one stud MIKE who racks up tackles and contributes his share of sacks/int's than two steady to good OLB's.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Tatupu's value will never be higher than it is now. If owned him, I would be very open for trade ideas. With that being said, I would not trade him for TD and Arrington. You can get much more. I wouldn't mind having TD in the trade, but I would not want Arrington at this time. Are you able to exchange Arrington for another player?? Who are the other players on your trade partner's roster??

tatupu is gold... three down LB that can score on big plays with sacks & INTs... he has telepathic, singletary-like instincts... he wasn't even a sure thing to start & ended up turning into one of the best LBs in the league...

when i find superstars i like to keep them to build around... i like to flip lesser talents... you might yourself in situation with trade where other principal/s need to perform like a best case scenaio just to break even... if they falter, you might as well have held the sure thing... arrington is almost 30 & may not be worth much in few years... davis promising but very hard to predict what it will do to his numbers... look at what happened to DJ williams...

imo, there is too much that can go wrong with this trade... it isn't worth giving up sure thing for an aging player & a positional risk... unless you think tatupu is flash in the pan... i think he is perrenial top 10 LB...

tatupu is gold... three down LB that can score on big plays with sacks & INTs... he has telepathic, singletary-like instincts... he wasn't even a sure thing to start & ended up turning into one of the best LBs in the league...

when i find superstars i like to keep them to build around... i like to flip lesser talents... you might yourself in situation with trade where other principal/s need to perform like a best case scenaio just to break even... if they falter, you might as well have held the sure thing... arrington is almost 30 & may not be worth much in few years... davis promising but very hard to predict what it will do to his numbers... look at what happened to DJ williams...

imo, there is too much that can go wrong with this trade... it isn't worth giving up sure thing for an aging player & a positional risk... unless you think tatupu is flash in the pan... i think he is perrenial top 10 LB...
:wall: unfortunately this is one of those times where you've already completed a trade but are posting on here in hopes of finding someone who doesn't think you're a moron. in my defense though, i did the deal thinking that davis was a lock for WLB. now i guess i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. the mark fields numbers from 2002 give me hope but we all know that's an incredible exception.

i should note that there are two other reasons i was motivated to deal lofa. i definitely think his numbers last year are legit, and that we can expect more of the same for the next 6-10 years, but it annoys me that i have michael boulware on the same seattle defense and that my three other LBs are MLBs. i like a little diversity because i think WLBs are going to make more big plays than MLBs.

we'll see. thanks.

KFFL reports

Panthers | Davis to play at SLB

Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:15:52 -0700

Panthers.com reports Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis will play the strongside linebacker position, according to Panthers head coach John Fox. "He could actually play either outside linebacker and in our third-down packages he can play a variety of places, too," Fox said.

Panthers | 2005 might have helped Davis' development at LB

Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:15:51 -0700

Panthers.com reports Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox said LB Thomas Davis was upbeat after losing his starting job at safety following the first game in 2005. "He didn't walk around with his head down and upset," Fox said. "He kept working at it." Fox said the team ended up finding a place for him on the field at linebacker. "He was very integral in some of the packages that we used defensively," Fox said. "Based on where the numbers were on our football team, we moved him around (from safety to linebacker and back to safety), which probably didn't help his development. I think a year later looking back, it probably actually helped him for this year."

Last edited by a moderator:
KFFL reports

Panthers.com reports Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis will play the strongside linebacker position, according to Panthers head coach John Fox. "He could actually play either outside linebacker and in our third-down packages he can play a variety of places, too," Fox said.
Do we need to change the Title of this thread to the James Anderson thread? I wonder how much of Davis moving to SLB is a result of Witherspoon's departure? Morgan is a great MLB when on the field! "WHEN" being the key here. Draft as depth and Diggs as Best FA available competition, Anderson has alot of up side potential.

KFFL reports

Do we need to change the Title of this thread to the James Anderson thread?
Might not be a bad call. Witherspoon was also an original mid-round pick......much like Anderson.

KFFL reports

I wonder how much of Davis moving to SLB is a result of Witherspoon's departure?
IMO, TD playing OLB is more about him being torched as a DB. Even if Witherspoon was still a Panther, TD would still be playing SLB.

Maybe not James Anderson but N. Diggs or K. Adams.

Panthers | Weakside linebacker spot up for grabs

Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:48:27 -0700

FOXSports.com reports one spot up for grabs with the Carolina Panthers is weakside linebacker. Among those competing for the job include LBs Keith Adams and LB Na'il Diggs, as well as last year's sixth-round draft pick LB Adam Seward and this year's third-round selection LB James Anderson. As of right now, it appears Adams and Diggs have the inside track into winning that starting job, but things could certainly change.

RAPTURE

ESPN Insider is supposedly reporting that TD will indeed be playing WLB this season. I'm too much of a tight-wad to pay for ESPN Insider and obviously cannot confirm. Before we all get too excited, please keep in mind that Rotoworld has their share of goofs from time to time. However, Rotoworld did note in the brief write-up that TD has been perceived as the SLB this entire offseason. Stay tuned.

Rotoworld:

http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/conte...s.asp?sport=NFL

Thomas Davis will reportedly play weak-side linebacker in 2006.

Throughout the offseason, many thought Davis would be a SAM as he converted from safety. The 2005 first-rounder's lack of size fits better on the weak side, where he could be an IDP star. Jun. 10 - 8:15 pm et

Source: ESPN Insider

ESPN Insider is supposedly reporting that TD will indeed be playing WLB this season. I'm too much of a tight-wad to pay for ESPN Insider and obviously cannot confirm. Before we all get too excited, please keep in mind that Rotoworld has their share of goofs from time to time. However, Rotoworld did note in the brief write-up that TD has been perceived as the SLB this entire offseason. Stay tuned.

Rotoworld:

Throughout the offseason, many thought Davis would be a SAM as he converted from safety. The 2005 first-rounder's lack of size fits better on the weak side, where he could be an IDP star. Jun. 10 - 8:15 pm et

It's from the "Punts" section of Len Pasquarelli's weekly Tip Sheet.Here's the quote:

The Carolina coaching staff is pleased so far with the transition of 2005 first-round selection Thomas Davis from safety to weak-side linebacker. The former University of Georgia star began his college career at linebacker and he possesses the kind of pursuit speed the Panthers demand at the position.

Pasquarelli goofs fairly frequently. The only compelling thing here is that the "Carolina coaching staff" is apparently his source. Seems to me I remember the same group source being quoted as saying Davis would be used in a Mark Fields role.

Rotoworld:

It's from the "Punts" section of Len Pasquarelli's weekly Tip Sheet.Here's the quote:

The Carolina coaching staff is pleased so far with the transition of 2005 first-round selection Thomas Davis from safety to weak-side linebacker. The former University of Georgia star began his college career at linebacker and he possesses the kind of pursuit speed the Panthers demand at the position.

Pasquarelli goofs fairly frequently. The only compelling thing here is that the "Carolina coaching staff" is apparently his source. Seems to me I remember the same group source being quoted as saying Davis would be used in a Mark Fields role.
I've gotta believe it's an error. I've read too much coach-speak stating that Davis is playing SLB. Heck, he's even wearing Mark Field's old number.

Here's the link...

From a Q&A with John Fox dated June 1 at Panthers.com via the Panthers Message Board.

Link

On how linebacker Thomas Davis handled losing the starting spot at safety after the first game last season: It's never easy, but he handled it as well as anybody could. He was very upbeat. He didn't walk around with his head down and upset. He kept working at it. We found places to use Thomas Davis. He was very integral in some of the packages that we used defensively. Ideally, we wanted to start him at linebacker. Based on where the numbers were on our football team, we moved him around (from safety to linebacker and back to safety), which probably didn't help his development. I think a year later looking back, it probably actually helped him for this year.

On if Davis will play better now that he is focusing on one position: You would think so. Especially for a young player, it is very hard to make the transition from college to pro and learn a new system. It's like learning a new language. It just takes you awhile to operate fluently in it. That's always a hard transition, and the more you ask of a young player, the harder it is. Multiple positions. Different packages. I think it slows their development early, but then it pays off twofold later on.

On if Davis will play strongside linebacker: He will be a Sam linebacker for us. Based on the front and particular package, it changes his alignment some. He's a very versatile guy. He could actually play either outside linebacker and in our third-down packages he can play a variety of places, too. When we took him, our idea was potentially as a linebacker. That was really where we felt his NFL position would be. To best utilize him on our football team a year ago, we had to move him around. It was unfortunate, but something that we had to do.

On Davis' pass-coverage skills: Outstanding. Even when we drafted him, he was probably the most explosive hitter in the draft. He's an outstanding tackler. He's got great explosion, great range. He's kind of a tweener size wise. He's a 230-pound safety or a 236-pound linebacker, depending on which way we push him in his training. But at the end of the day, he's a run and hit football player, and that's important at any position on defense.

Maybe not James Anderson but N. Diggs or K. Adams.

Panthers | Weakside linebacker spot up for grabs

Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:48:27 -0700

FOXSports.com reports one spot up for grabs with the Carolina Panthers is weakside linebacker. Among those competing for the job include LBs Keith Adams and LB Na'il Diggs, as well as last year's sixth-round draft pick LB Adam Seward and this year's third-round selection LB James Anderson. As of right now, it appears Adams and Diggs have the inside track into winning that starting job, but things could certainly change.

RAPTURE
They seem more like backups to me, but anything is possible. Or Seward once camp opens?

Here's the link...

From a Q&A with John Fox dated June 1 at Panthers.com via the Panthers Message Board.

Link

On how linebacker Thomas Davis handled losing the starting spot at safety after the first game last season: It's never easy, but he handled it as well as anybody could. He was very upbeat. He didn't walk around with his head down and upset. He kept working at it. We found places to use Thomas Davis. He was very integral in some of the packages that we used defensively. Ideally, we wanted to start him at linebacker. Based on where the numbers were on our football team, we moved him around (from safety to linebacker and back to safety), which probably didn't help his development. I think a year later looking back, it probably actually helped him for this year.

On if Davis will play better now that he is focusing on one position: You would think so. Especially for a young player, it is very hard to make the transition from college to pro and learn a new system. It's like learning a new language. It just takes you awhile to operate fluently in it. That's always a hard transition, and the more you ask of a young player, the harder it is. Multiple positions. Different packages. I think it slows their development early, but then it pays off twofold later on.

On if Davis will play strongside linebacker: He will be a Sam linebacker for us. Based on the front and particular package, it changes his alignment some. He's a very versatile guy. He could actually play either outside linebacker and in our third-down packages he can play a variety of places, too. When we took him, our idea was potentially as a linebacker. That was really where we felt his NFL position would be. To best utilize him on our football team a year ago, we had to move him around. It was unfortunate, but something that we had to do.

On Davis' pass-coverage skills: Outstanding. Even when we drafted him, he was probably the most explosive hitter in the draft. He's an outstanding tackler. He's got great explosion, great range. He's kind of a tweener size wise. He's a 230-pound safety or a 236-pound linebacker, depending on which way we push him in his training. But at the end of the day, he's a run and hit football player, and that's important at any position on defense.
This makes no sense to me. You would think that if they wanted to "unleash" Davis, they would let him play the WILL. Making him the SAM just gives him more garbage to sort through on top of coverage duties, which is his biggest flaw.At this point, I'm resigned to the idea that he will be manning the strongside this season, but I still dream of him at WLB.

4-1, 1FF

3-2

6-1, 2PD

I have yet to watch a Car. game. How has he looked in action? He is ranked 48th in our scoring. With 12 teams that mostly start 4 LB he is a borderline starter. Just wanted to get a few more views on his performance so far this season.

4-1, 1FF3-26-1, 2PDI have yet to watch a Car. game. How has he looked in action? He is ranked 48th in our scoring. With 12 teams that mostly start 4 LB he is a borderline starter. Just wanted to get a few more views on his performance so far this season.
Same here, think I will record their game.

4-1, 1FF3-26-1, 2PDI have yet to watch a Car. game. How has he looked in action? He is ranked 48th in our scoring. With 12 teams that mostly start 4 LB he is a borderline starter. Just wanted to get a few more views on his performance so far this season.
Same here, think I will record their game.
NFL Replay is great. Maybe it will be game #4. TD is a sam linebacker so he is borderline. Seems to be more consistent than Merriman.Tuesday, Oct. 3 at 8 p.m. ET — Colts beat Jets 31-28With the game see-sawing in the fourth quarter, Colts QB Peyton Manning rallied his team with a two-minute warning drive that resulted in the game-winning TD.Tuesday, Oct. 3 at 10:30 p.m. ET — Rams beat Lions 41-34Marc Bulger threw for three touchdowns, including the game-winner just inside of two minutes to play, and the Rams outlasted the Lions for their third win.Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 8 p.m. ET — Redskins beat Jaguars 36-30 (OT)Santana Moss caught a deep ball down the left sideline, split to Jaguars defenders, and sprinted 68 yards for the winning points in overtime.Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 10:30 p.m. ET — To be determinedOne of Week 4's top games

I thought Davis looked good yesterday.

As was said, he was around the ball a lot. He was a big part of the package to stop Reggie Bush. With Draft, Diggs, Branch, and Minter as the other options, the Panthers elected to use Thomas Davis to cover and spy Bush. Worked at times, not so much at others.

Davis looks like he's becoming more comfortable. He was very decisive (and quick) in run support and coverage. He was smashing hard into the running lanes and made a fair number of plays -- some tackles, some just blowing up the play for others to finish off. I also thought he was very quick to get to his zone responsibilities in coverage and looked much better than he did in similar situations last season.

He did get beat badly on one flat route by Bush in the first half but essentially had to run around a double natural pick (looked like the old picket fence play) and really had no chance on the play. Because he was so involved in the gameplan against Bush, he wasn't used in pass rush much. IMO, this is still the key issue. I think he'll be athletic enough to adjust to the LB role this season, but his value won't be high enough in either standard or big-play leagues unless he can prove effective pressuring the QB.

I thought Davis looked good yesterday.As was said, he was around the ball a lot. He was a big part of the package to stop Reggie Bush. With Draft, Diggs, Branch, and Minter as the other options, the Panthers elected to use Thomas Davis to cover and spy Bush. Worked at times, not so much at others.Davis looks like he's becoming more comfortable. He was very decisive (and quick) in run support and coverage. He was smashing hard into the running lanes and made a fair number of plays -- some tackles, some just blowing up the play for others to finish off. I also thought he was very quick to get to his zone responsibilities in coverage and looked much better than he did in similar situations last season.He did get beat badly on one flat route by Bush in the first half but essentially had to run around a double natural pick (looked like the old picket fence play) and really had no chance on the play. Because he was so involved in the gameplan against Bush, he wasn't used in pass rush much. IMO, this is still the key issue. I think he'll be athletic enough to adjust to the LB role this season, but his value won't be high enough in either standard or big-play leagues unless he can prove effective pressuring the QB.
Thanks Jean, game was blackedout on Sunday Ticket, so couldn't record it.

Why stop now. :yes: More on Mr. Davis ...

Panthers linebacker in position to bust out

Davis is excited because it's his third year at linebacker and his first after moving from the strong side of the line to the weak side, meaning he won't have to face the blocks of opposing tight ends much anymore.

“I feel like I'm really comfortable in the position I'm in now,” he said. “I feel like it's going to show on the field.”

So far during preseason practices and exhibitions, Davis has looked more confident and his quickness has been evident more consistently than in previous seasons.

He said he feels, both mentally and physically, like he's been set free.

“You have that freedom of really letting go when you really know what you're doing,” he said. “You can read and react, instead of read and think, ‘Is this where I'm supposed to be and is this how it's supposed to be done?'

“I've got a better understanding of the position and it's allowing me to react better and make plays. Everything is making a lot more sense these days.”

Defensive end Julius Peppers also had a major position change in the offseason, moving from left end to right. At times, when the tight end is on the other side of the line, Davis is expected to line up behind Peppers, which should help both of them.

“The biggest difference for me right now is I don't have to get on the line of scrimmage and get into a battle with the tight end,” said Davis. “At (weakside) linebacker, I've got a lot more freedom to use what I feel like are my natural abilities, which (are) to get out on the edge and run.”

Davis said he expects it all “to make a world of difference.”

At times, when the tight end is on the other side of the line, Davis is expected to line up behind Peppers, which should help both of them.

:goodposting: Have to like that.

Users who are viewing this thread