What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Yankees actually scare me this year (1 Viewer)

Bob Sacamano

Footballguy
Been perusing rosters and such getting ready for Spring Training, and this Yankees lineup is just unreal.

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Sheffield

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Posada

You can't stop this lineup. Especially if Giambi continues to come all the way back. Damon is the one piece they lacked, and he now solidifies this team offensively and defensively.

I hate them as much as the next guy, but they may not even need a pitching staff.

There isn't a singal Yankee fan that worries about the lineup or the closer.

It's the guys on the mound from the 1st through the 8th that worry us.

You should "think" they are WS champs every year or at least contending for it. IMO, anything less than a division title and serious run at the title is underachieving.

Been perusing rosters and such getting ready for Spring Training, and this Yankees lineup is just unreal.

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Sheffield

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Posada

You can't stop this lineup. Especially if Giambi continues to come all the way back. Damon is the one piece they lacked, and he now solidifies this team offensively and defensively.

I hate them as much as the next guy, but they may not even need a pitching staff.
Wasn't this the exact same lineup they had last year during the playoffs? Actually, haven't they had a lineup this dominant for the past 5 years? Pitching, pitching, pitching. Can't win without great pitching.

Last 5 years for the Yankees = $1 Billion spent and nothing to show for it. :D

Yeah I'm a "hater", so what?

I think that Johnson's health is their only real concern. Chacon will be nails and while Mussina isn't as dominant as he used to be he is still a quality starter.

How does their rotation stack up?

Unit

Mussina

Pavano

Chacon

then they have to rely on Wang or Wright. Pavano is dinged up a little bit so if Unit isn't healthy they have major pitching issues. I will go out on a limb and say that Chacon may wind up being their best pitcher this year.

I'm excited - I think they went through the tough rebuilding years after Clemens and Petite left and are now ready to compete again :thumbup:

I think that Johnson's health is their only real concern.  Chacon will be nails and while Mussina isn't as dominant as he used to be he is still a quality starter.

How does their rotation stack up?

Unit

Mussina

Pavano

Chacon

then they have to rely on Wang or Wright.  Pavano is dinged up a little bit so if Unit isn't healthy they have major pitching issues.  I will go out on a limb and say that Chacon may wind up being their best pitcher this year.
I think Unit gets it back. He has his first year in NY under his belt, and I think things will be different for him mentally this year.I agree Chacon is going to be big for them. And nobody looked better than Wang when healthy last year.

They have 6 guys who have proved capable of being quality starters. With that lineup, they really only need 4 of them to pan out and 3 to be ready come playoff time.

No, it's no reverse jinx. I'm a Cardinals fan. I couldn't care less who comes out of the AL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last 5 years for the Yankees = $1 Billion spent and nothing to show for it. :D
Same can be said for my Brewers, 'cept instead of "last 5 years", it's "last 35 years". :(

Is this the thread that people will be trying to argue that the Yankees don't have an huge and unfair advantage due to their obscene salary structure?

I think Chacon will be a solid #3 starter this year. Moose needs to avoid that one bad inning that plagued him last year.

Cashman did a great job this offseason, lose payroll and get better. :thumbup:

Is this the thread that people will be trying to argue that the Yankees don't have an huge and unfair advantage due to their obscene salary structure?
Not a Yankee fan, but is that even the right question?Is baseball better off if the Royals and Brewers have the same chance to win as the Yankees?

You could make a case that baseball as a whole isn't, since it's a more historical, regional game than football where rivalries arguably are as important as the level of competition.

Of course you could argue that spreading the talent around would make that, and the quality of play, more important. But I don't know that it's really that cut and dried for baseball.

Hmmm, let's see... Anyone?So far, no....

MLB is screwy and that's that....

Hopefully the NFL doens't go down that road.... Well, unless it benefits the Jets somehow ; )

Not a Yankee fan, but is that even the right question?Is baseball better off if the Royals and Brewers have the same chance to win as the Yankees?

You could make a case that baseball as a whole isn't, since it's a more historical, regional game than football where rivalries arguably are as important as the level of competition.

Of course you could argue that spreading the talent around would make that, and the quality of play, more important. But I don't know that it's really that cut and dried for baseball.
Hey didn't people just argue that the level playing field and cap in the NFL is bad?I'm a Yankee fan and I STRONGLY disagree but....... Apparantly, they think they have a case.

I think a Salary Cap is the best thing for all sports....

Hey didn't people just argue that the level playing field and cap in the NFL is bad?

I'm a Yankee fan and I STRONGLY disagree but....... Apparantly, they think they have a case.

I think a Salary Cap is the best thing for all sports....
Good points here. It seems to me that baseball is more regional than NFL, so having the big markets as good is best for them. Of course, you could always argue that it's more regional because not every team can compete.On the other hand, we saw from this year's ALCS and World Series, once the Yankees and Red Sox are eliminated people are actually less interested, despite everyone claiming they want to see diversity.

(But again, was that because they were the Yanks and Sox, or was it because people perceived them as the best or most fun to watch teams in baseball?)

I personally don't like the salary cap in the NFL as implemented. I'd like a softer cap with cap incentives for teams with longtime veterans. It wouldn't really change the competitive balance much, but it'd allow teams to keep icons or older contributors while also allowing the players to get the money they deserve, rather than the current system where the team can one-way force a player to take a pay cut while the reverse doesn't hold true (and when players try to get market value, they're vilified).

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Sheffield

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Posada

It's a formidable lineup, no doubt. But as others have alluded to, you can't win if you can't pitch and the question marks surrounding the rotation are huge.Pavano - He was lackluster to bad BEFORE he was injured last year. The guy has had one major league season where he fufilled lofty expectations with the Marlins. And he was surrounded by Becket, Burnett and Willis there. Is he even healthy enough to start the season?

Johnson - I'm thinking the move to New York was a bad fit for him. He's not a New York guy and the people there don't just get panty pudding for Johnson like they did in Arizona and Seattle. He's 42 now and will be 43 before the end of the season. If he take another step backwards from greatness (he was still good last year, but compared to other seasons, it was mistaken for ordinary), the fans will be all over him.

Mussina - 37 years old and has back to back years of an ERA over 4.4 and a WHIP that's hard to get excited about. Still a good major league picther, but he's too old to revert back to the guy he once was.

Then you get to gamble with Chacon, Wang, Wright (have fun with that) and Small. Better pitchers than these have flamed out in New York (Weaver, Rogers, Leiber) and you don't have a full season of work with the Yankees with any of these guys.

And how is the depth on the bench this year? If my fourth outfield is Bernie Williams, I'm not feeling great about life.

There are teams I like better than NYY to win it all this year. St. Louis leads that discussion for me. The gamblers agree with you. Here are the odds to win the WS in 2006:

Code:
New York Yankees   +375    St.Louis Cardinals   +665    New York Mets   +810    Chicago White Sox   +900    Boston Red Sox   11/1    Cleveland Indians   14/1    Los Angeles Angels   14/1    Oakland Athletics   15/1    Toronto Blue Jays   20/1    Los Angeles Dodgers   24/1    Chicago Cubs   24/1    Atlanta Braves   25/1    Houston Astros   25/1    San Francisco Giants   33/1    Philadelphia Phillies   40/1    Minnesota Twins   40/1    Milwaukee Brewers   45/1    Texas Rangers   45/1    San Diego Padres   48/1    Seattle Mariners   66/1    Baltimore Orioles   100/1    Cincinnati Reds   115/1    Pittsburgh Pirates   135/1    Washington Nationals   135/1    Arizona Diamondbacks   140/1    Detroit Tigers   150/1    Tampa Bay Devil Rays   250/1    Colorado Rockies   275/1    Florida Marlins   300/1    Kansas City Royals   500/1

Milwaukee Brewers at 45:1 represents great value.....

Pitching staff is good now, could be great with Sheets, Davis and Caupano leading the way. Bullpen fortified by an emerging closer in Turnbow. A MI that has All Star potential in Hardy/Weeks. Overbay poised for a great season.

Doug Melvin, the GM, has put teams in the playoffs before...historically bad teams like Texas.

Pitching staff is good now, could be great with Sheets, Davis and Caupano leading the way. Bullpen fortified by an emerging closer in Turnbow. A MI that has All Star potential in Hardy/Weeks. Overbay poised for a great season.

Doug Melvin, the GM, has put teams in the playoffs before...historically bad teams like Texas.
Another year or two away, but I do like their future :thumbup:

Overbay was traded. Maybe Prince Fielder will do even better. :thumbup:

Don't forget about M. Rivera, that guy's about as lights-out it gets.

I still like the Dodgers and Angels' chances though, especially since the Angel's have owned the Yankees for the past several years.

Johnson's 2nd half last year:

Code:
ERA  W L G CG  IP  H  R  ER HR BB SO  AVG Post-All Star 3.31 8 2 15 1 98.0 74 37 36 13 23 94 .208

Pitching wins in the playoffs, and unfortunetely for Yankee fans, your staff is old. I like the White Sox to repeat.

Beurhle, Garland, F. Garcia, Contreras, Vasquez, and McCarthy is sick.

Pitching staff is good now, could be great with Sheets, Davis and Caupano leading the way.  Bullpen fortified by an emerging closer in Turnbow.  A MI that has All Star potential in Hardy/Weeks.  Overbay poised for a great season. 

Overbay was traded. Maybe Prince Fielder will do even better. :thumbup:
:bag:

Don't forget that besides for Cano the entire lineup is on the wrong side of 30. Sheffield is due to have his number fall, Damon was far less effective last year, and Posada is quickly breaking down. Granted they'll probably still score 1000 runs, but I wouldn't be surprised if that lineup doesn't look as threatening by the end of the season.

I personally think the A's are probably the class of the AL with their young pitching. Plus they get Crosby for an entire season, replace Hatteberg with F. Thomas for as long as he can stay healthy, Kietly with Bradley, have Johnson for an entire year. Their offense could be pretty scary by the end of the year.

Don't forget that besides for Cano the entire lineup is on the wrong side of 30. Sheffield is due to have his number fall, Damon was far less effective last year, and Posada is quickly breaking down. Granted they'll probably still score 1000 runs, but I wouldn't be surprised if that lineup doesn't look as threatening by the end of the season.

I personally think the A's are probably the class of the AL with their young pitching. Plus they get Crosby for an entire season, replace Hatteberg with F. Thomas for as long as he can stay healthy, Kietly with Bradley, have Johnson for an entire year. Their offense could be pretty scary by the end of the year.
I think the A's/Angels race out west will be every bit as compelling as the race for the AL East. Glad I live on the west coast. :thumbup:

Yankees Best Offseason move: signing Damon

Yankees Second Best Offseason move: sacking John Flaherty. Talk about dead weight 127 AB, .165 BA, .206 OBP, .252 SLG

:eek: Roger Clemens had a better year in the batters box last season.

:loco:

Don't forget that besides for Cano the entire lineup is on the wrong side of 30.  Sheffield is due to have his number fall, Damon was far less effective last year, and Posada is quickly breaking down.  Granted they'll probably still score 1000 runs, but I wouldn't be surprised if that lineup doesn't look as threatening by the end of the season. 

I personally think the A's are probably the class of the AL with their young pitching.  Plus they get Crosby for an entire season, replace Hatteberg with F. Thomas for as long as he can stay healthy, Kietly with Bradley, have Johnson for an entire year.  Their offense could be pretty scary by the end of the year.
I think the A's/Angels race out west will be every bit as compelling as the race for the AL East. Glad I live on the west coast. :thumbup:
For whatever reason I'm not as high on the Angels whough everyone undeestimates their starting pitching. 3 of the 5 guys are above average, but they take a step back replaceing Byrd with Weaver. I also question their offense, but they should be solid. I just like the As better and Harden has the skills to be one of the top 5 SP in either league.

Don't forget that besides for Cano the entire lineup is on the wrong side of 30.  Sheffield is due to have his number fall, Damon was far less effective last year, and Posada is quickly breaking down.  Granted they'll probably still score 1000 runs, but I wouldn't be surprised if that lineup doesn't look as threatening by the end of the season. 

I personally think the A's are probably the class of the AL with their young pitching.  Plus they get Crosby for an entire season, replace Hatteberg with F. Thomas for as long as he can stay healthy, Kietly with Bradley, have Johnson for an entire year.  Their offense could be pretty scary by the end of the year.
For whatever reason I'm not as high on the Angels whough everyone undeestimates their starting pitching. 3 of the 5 guys are above average, but they take a step back replaceing Byrd with Weaver. I also question their offense, but they should be solid. I just like the As better and Harden has the skills to be one of the top 5 SP in either league.
I agree on Harden. At 24, he's scary good. If only he could stay healthy all year. Zito has to be better early in the season. His opening to 2005 was awful.I'm going to see the A's play on May 5th sitting right behind Home Plate. Hopefully, Bobby Crosby doesn't die before then. :thumbup:

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Sheffield

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Posada

You can't stop this lineup.  Especially if Giambi continues to come all the way back.  Damon is the one piece they lacked, and he now solidifies this team offensively and defensively.

It's a formidable lineup, no doubt. But as others have alluded to, you can't win if you can't pitch and the question marks surrounding the rotation are huge.Pavano - He was lackluster to bad BEFORE he was injured last year. The guy has had one major league season where he fufilled lofty expectations with the Marlins. And he was surrounded by Becket, Burnett and Willis there. Is he even healthy enough to start the season?

Johnson - I'm thinking the move to New York was a bad fit for him. He's not a New York guy and the people there don't just get panty pudding for Johnson like they did in Arizona and Seattle. He's 42 now and will be 43 before the end of the season. If he take another step backwards from greatness (he was still good last year, but compared to other seasons, it was mistaken for ordinary), the fans will be all over him.

Mussina - 37 years old and has back to back years of an ERA over 4.4 and a WHIP that's hard to get excited about. Still a good major league picther, but he's too old to revert back to the guy he once was.

Then you get to gamble with Chacon, Wang, Wright (have fun with that) and Small. Better pitchers than these have flamed out in New York (Weaver, Rogers, Leiber) and you don't have a full season of work with the Yankees with any of these guys.

And how is the depth on the bench this year? If my fourth outfield is Bernie Williams, I'm not feeling great about life.

There are teams I like better than NYY to win it all this year. St. Louis leads that discussion for me. The gamblers agree with you. Here are the odds to win the WS in 2006:

New York Yankees   +375   St.Louis Cardinals   +665   New York Mets   +810   Chicago White Sox   +900   Boston Red Sox   11/1   Cleveland Indians   14/1   Los Angeles Angels   14/1   Oakland Athletics   15/1   Toronto Blue Jays   20/1   Los Angeles Dodgers   24/1   Chicago Cubs   24/1   Atlanta Braves   25/1   Houston Astros   25/1   San Francisco Giants   33/1   Philadelphia Phillies   40/1   Minnesota Twins   40/1   Milwaukee Brewers   45/1   Texas Rangers   45/1   San Diego Padres   48/1   Seattle Mariners   66/1   Baltimore Orioles   100/1   Cincinnati Reds   115/1   Pittsburgh Pirates   135/1   Washington Nationals   135/1   Arizona Diamondbacks   140/1   Detroit Tigers   150/1   Tampa Bay Devil Rays   250/1   Colorado Rockies   275/1   Florida Marlins   300/1   Kansas City Royals   500/1
Pittsburgh Pirates at 135:1.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :chinrub:Okay, this will never happen, but I think this team is better than people realize. Also think Detroit at 150:1 is a tad bit out of touch.

Pitching wins in the playoffs, and unfortunetely for Yankee fans, your staff is old. I like the White Sox to repeat.

This is the question. Who can take down the Yankees? White Sox? Not a bad choice. Good rotation. I still question their ability to repeat the timely hitting.

Red Sox? I think this team is done. Pack it in nad look to reload next season.

As? Probably still a year or two away.

Blue Jays? Oh, now we're talking. I like their off-season moves.

Indians? Strong second half. May fight out with the A's for best young team in AL

NL possibilities:

Cubs? Suck

Astros? Suckle

Cardinals? Didn't make the moves I would have liked to see in the off-season, but a healthy Rolen and the addition of Encarnacion won't hurt.

Mets? After Pedro's arm falls off, they're history.

Braves? Please

Entire West - :thumbdown:

Pitching wins in the playoffs, and unfortunetely for Yankee fans, your staff is old.  I like the White Sox to repeat.

This is the question. Who can take down the Yankees? White Sox? Not a bad choice. Good rotation. I still question their ability to repeat the timely hitting.

Indians? Strong second half. May fight out with the A's for best young team in AL

NL possibilities:

Cubs? Suck

Astros? Suckle

Cardinals? Didn't make the moves I would have liked to see in the off-season, but a healthy Rolen and the addition of Encarnacion won't hurt.

Braves? Please

Boston is not done by a long shot....They have 7 legit starting pitchers - about 4 more than the Yankees. There's a great chance they can trade a guy here and add depth in the bullpen or get a stick. I'm thinking ManRam sticks it out with the Sawx and when you couple him with Ortiz, we're talking about one of the best hitting pairs in baseball. I love the addition of Loretta and I still think Varitek is a luxury few outside of Boston truly appreciate.

Expecting Byrd to replicate last season's success is a tad unrealistic, however the downgrade from Byrd's expected performance this year to Weaver's isn't drastic. Taking a weighted 3 year average for each player and assuming the both pitch 200 innings, the difference is on the order of 6 runs.

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Sheffield

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Posada

You can't stop this lineup.  Especially if Giambi continues to come all the way back.  Damon is the one piece they lacked, and he now solidifies this team offensively and defensively.

Code:
New York Yankees   +375    St.Louis Cardinals   +665    New York Mets   +810    Chicago White Sox   +900    Boston Red Sox   11/1    Cleveland Indians   14/1    Los Angeles Angels   14/1    Oakland Athletics   15/1    Toronto Blue Jays   20/1    Los Angeles Dodgers   24/1    Chicago Cubs   24/1    Atlanta Braves   25/1    Houston Astros   25/1    San Francisco Giants   33/1    Philadelphia Phillies   40/1    Minnesota Twins   40/1    Milwaukee Brewers   45/1    Texas Rangers   45/1    San Diego Padres   48/1    Seattle Mariners   66/1    Baltimore Orioles   100/1    Cincinnati Reds   115/1    Pittsburgh Pirates   135/1    Washington Nationals   135/1    Arizona Diamondbacks   140/1    Detroit Tigers   150/1    Tampa Bay Devil Rays   250/1    Colorado Rockies   275/1    Florida Marlins   300/1    Kansas City Royals   500/1
Also like the Philies here at 40-1 and maybe even Baltimore after they bought Atlantas pitching coach.

Pitching wins in the playoffs, and unfortunetely for Yankee fans, your staff is old.  I like the White Sox to repeat.

NL possibilities:

Cubs? Suck

Astros? Suckle

Braves? Please

Boston is not done by a long shot....They have 7 legit starting pitchers - about 4 more than the Yankees. There's a great chance they can trade a guy here and add depth in the bullpen or get a stick. I'm thinking ManRam sticks it out with the Sawx and when you couple him with Ortiz, we're talking about one of the best hitting pairs in baseball. I love the addition of Loretta and I still think Varitek is a luxury few outside of Boston truly appreciate.
The As were also a couple of injured guys away from being a true contender last year. Say what you will about them being young, but I'd rather have a bunch of hitters in the 25-30 range on the upswing than a bunch of guys in the 30-35 year old range on the downswing. Plus it's not like they're all rookies this year. All their important pitchers had a full year last year.

The Yankees are the main reason that an awful lot of people cannot stand baseball.

Not only is it a boring sport but what fun is it if a team can buy anyone they want to put on their roster.

There is no challenge, they should win their division by 20 games and it will mean absolutely nothing.

How can you be excited about a bought team and championship. :hophead:

Users who are viewing this thread