Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Evilgrin 72

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight.

I went to Five Guys for the first time a couple weeks ago after hearing everyone raving about it

It was probably the most over rated place I've ever eaten at. It wasn't bad, but it was no better than any other burger I've eaten.

Had it for the first time a couple of weeks ago in Tempe. Simply awesome. Burgers were slightly better than In N Out and the fries were way better.

Five Guys has arrived in Albuquerque! :goodposting:

I'll have a little bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and mushrooms, please.

Now if we could just get them to add green chile to the menu. :goodposting:

Their burgers are very good but I am not a big fan of the fries. Since there are so many burger joints near me I will usually pick up a burger at 5 Guys and fries from a local, mom & pop place that is on the way home from 5 Guys. Perfect combination.

Edited by RC94

Had it for the first time a couple of weeks ago in Tempe. Simply awesome. Burgers were slightly better than In N Out and the fries were way better.

I'm a huge fan of Five Guys, but it doesn't compare to In N Out, imo. Of course, I don't live in Cali and don't get to eat there over once a year. I think I remember you living in Cali, so familiarity may bias us somewhat. I used to live right down the street from a Five Guys. Personally, outside of a burger joint I ate at in St. Pete, In N Out is the best burger I've ever eaten. They are all good, however

I'm reluctant to include, because it doesn't trump five guys, but when I'm down south, I make it a point to hit Steak and Shake. The fries are pedestrian but a stellah burger than can give Five Guys a run, as I recall, but then you have the all encompassing capper to the experience with the best chain milkshake you'll ever have. That has to be included as part of the adventure.

I'm reluctant to include, because it doesn't trump five guys, but when I'm down south, I make it a point to hit Steak and Shake. The fries are pedestrian but a stellah burger than can give Five Guys a run, as I recall, but then you have the all encompassing capper to the experience with the best chain milkshake you'll ever have. That has to be included as part of the adventure.

You're wrong about all of this. Steak & Shake is pretty pedestrian.

Doesn't anybody in this thread enjoy hot, crispy french fries? Five Guys fries are flaccid. Not a fan.

Granted, I liked the hamburger. In fact, I liked it better than a Wendy's hamburger. But not twice as much more. :excited:

:) Went there for the first time yesterday and that sums up my thoughts.It's a really good burger, but if I'm going to spend $10 on my lunch I have a lot of better options than a burger.
Rethinking my stance here a bit. Every time this thread comes up I get a craving.Not a fan of the fries or the $10 overall meal price, but $5 is well worth it for the burger.

Steak & Shake is pretty mediocre, although they're open late and better than your basic fast food, which is convenient sometimes. But the burger is no Five Guys.

This place just popped up in San Jose, CA and we just got around to trying it yesterday.

I thought the burger was pretty tasty. I don't like how they wrap the burger in foil :blackdot: We ate there and from the pickup counter to our table the bun was already pretty soggy. I can't imagine what it would be like if you took out and let 10-15 minutes go by until you opened it.

I opted for the cajun style fries and the seasoning was pretty good.

I believe this location is really new. On our way out we ran into one of the guys in charge and he shared some pretty interesting information. As owners, Five Guys requires you to buy/run a specific number of locations for a given territory. I have no idea if this is SOP for these types of businesses, but this was new to me. So, in his case, him and his partners will be essentially running the entire Southbay which includes 25 total locations. :eek:

He went on to explain how much work it is (a lot), and also how good the products are (compared with In and Out and some other fast food joints). They don't have any microwaves and everything is made to order... pretty nice fellow. Despite sharing all this somewhat detailed information, when I asked where they are planning to open a location closer to my house, all he would disclose was the city (even though he said they already have a location leased and construction is in progress :lmao: ).

Great tasting burgers and fries, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it... and it's a bit of a turn off that they use peanut oil.

I saw one in Austin on Friday night, which was news to me. I'll have to give it a try soon.

I saw one in Austin on Friday night, which was news to me. I'll have to give it a try soon.

in the Arboretum?

in the Arboretum?
Guadalupe btw 29th and 30thETA: believe there's another one on Research Edited by Walton Goggins

in the Arboretum?
That's the one.

I had one a few months ago. Very good, but I haven't made a return trip.

Considering my disdain for the "secret menu," I'd have to rate it ahead of In & Out. I only had a regular cheeseburger there and there wasn't anything special about it for me. I'd imagine it's a lot more special in LA than in Alabama, similar and better burgers available around town.

Well, just made the virgin trip to the new Five Guys in Thousand Oaks, CA. I will say, it was better than I expected. The hand formed patties, fresh ingredients, etc make it taste like a really good home made burger. I'm an In an Out fan, and I think this burger compares favorably, but it should for the price. My wife felt that In and Out oversalts their food, so she orders without salt. Five Guys got it right. Restaurant was packed, and while the line looks line you actually get your food quickly. So props to operations. Fries were just good, not great. Overall, very solid burger.

One opened near me recently - it's not a bad burger, but it's a very nice, clean location, and the fries are outstanding.

If they would cook their burgers in any manner other than "well"...I'd be a HUGE fan.

So, what is up with this? I am not going to pay $5 for a well done piece of shoe leather. Not happening.

Fries are really bad at five guys kind of ruins the experience. Burgers are ok

One opened near me recently - it's not a bad burger, but it's a very nice, clean location, and the fries are outstanding.

If they would cook their burgers in any manner other than "well"...I'd be a HUGE fan.

So, what is up with this? I am not going to pay $5 for a well done piece of shoe leather. Not happening.
Because that is exactly what they taste like.

You tell 'em, you tell 'em good!

Considering my disdain for the "secret menu," I'd have to rate it ahead of In & Out. I only had a regular cheeseburger there and there wasn't anything special about it for me. I'd imagine it's a lot more special in LA than in Alabama, similar and better burgers available around town.

:goodposting::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Couple good burger joints in Houston including Five Guys:

Little Bigs has awesome sliders and the best fries I've had.

Smash Burger (chain) is also high on my list. The fact that I can add a fried egg on the burger just does so much for me.

Man this thread made me want some burgers today.

Any reviews from this place? Higher price point - but supposedly very good. One on our hometown - need to check it out..

The Counter

Tried this in Denver. I really liked it. Basically you build the burger with whatever you want on it. Lots of unusual add-ons. Not really comparable to any fast food joint.

Wow - no initial replies, and a bump 25 days later. Don't think I've ever seen that before. :lmao:

Betcha didn't see this coming...Nice to see Mcfly swooped in and saved the thread. :lmao: Edited by Sweatpants

Can't believe this thread made it to 11 pages, and it's been going for 4 years. :lmao:

I didn't even notice. I thought this was only a couple months old :lmao:

Any reviews from this place? Higher price point - but supposedly very good. One on our hometown - need to check it out..

The Counter

Wife and I tried it while we were in Charlotte. Not bad, but rather expensive for what you get. $8 for a plain hamburger with four free toppings (i.e. lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle) and 1 cheese. Additional basic toppings cost .50 cents each, "premium" toppings like bacon and mushrooms cost an extra $1 each. Want a second type of cheese? That's $1. If they just pull back on the prices, it would be worth it.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
I got back from Pasadena:

Friend: Did you go to In and Out?

Me: Yeah, nothing special, but a good burger.

Friend: Did you get the Super Duper Flying Hawaiian Outer Space Burger?

Me: No, I don't remember seeing anything like that on the menu. I got a regular cheeseburger. Maybe you got some sort of McRib special.

Friend: No, it's on the secret menu.

Me: Secret menu?

Friend: Yeah, you know, the one you have to look up online before going. You didn't know about that? They don't put their actual menu on their menu.

Me: :confused:

Wow - no initial replies, and a bump 25 days later. Don't think I've ever seen that before. :)

Betcha didn't see this coming...Nice to see Mcfly swooped in and saved the thread. :lmao:
I chuckle every time I see it on page 1.

Any reviews from this place? Higher price point - but supposedly very good. One on our hometown - need to check it out..The Counter

didn't like it. Ate there twice; got a burger off the menu there the first time that was absolutely medicore, and they burned my wife's to a crisp. The second time I made my own and they screwed up all the toppings. In sum: I've been there twice, and have two coupons for free burgers as a result. Probably won't use them.

I went to Five Guys for the first time a couple weeks ago after hearing everyone raving about itIt was probably the most over rated place I've ever eaten at. It wasn't bad, but it was no better than any other burger I've eaten.

ditto

I went to Five Guys for the first time a couple weeks ago after hearing everyone raving about itIt was probably the most over rated place I've ever eaten at. It wasn't bad, but it was no better than any other burger I've eaten.

ditto
Best hamburger I've ever had. But if I hadn't tried it before, after reading all the reviews in here and elsewhere, anything less than a hamburger that causes me to have non-stop orgasms while eating it would be a disappointment.

Just saw today that one is going into Huntington Beach in September, only about a mile away from my house.

Cool!

Just had my 1st 5 Guys experience today and those who say it's overrated or just o.k. are flat out wrong. The fries are decent but the burgers are out of this world. Every bit as good as Fatburger and In & Out.

Any reviews from this place? Higher price point - but supposedly very good. One on our hometown - need to check it out..The Counter

didn't like it. Ate there twice; got a burger off the menu there the first time that was absolutely medicore, and they burned my wife's to a crisp. The second time I made my own and they screwed up all the toppings. In sum: I've been there twice, and have two coupons for free burgers as a result. Probably won't use them.
:thumbup: Hook a brotha up in a bad economy? There is one near me in Charlotte that my wife said friends liked. I have been meaning to try it one day and a couple coupons would be much appreciated. Based on the results of the meal, I would even be willing to send you a commission or Costco coupons sitting on my desk.

Just had my 1st 5 Guys experience today and those who say it's overrated or just o.k. are flat out wrong. The fries are decent but the burgers are out of this world. Every bit as good as Fatburger and In & Out.

:football: Of course not every single burger is made perfect, but having been there a number of times, it is a solid burger and I like the fries as well.

Thought of this thread today when I ate at Char Grill in Raleigh, NC. No comparison, Char Grill blows away Five Guys. It's not close. It's a local chain, so I don't think it can be enjoyed outside the Triangle.

:coffee: Hook a brotha up in a bad economy? There is one near me in Charlotte that my wife said friends liked. I have been meaning to try it one day and a couple coupons would be much appreciated. Based on the results of the meal, I would even be willing to send you a commission or Costco coupons sitting on my desk.
I'd send them your way if I hadn't already given them out. Hopefully your experience there is better.

Apparently, they really are greasy.

Men accused of trying to steal cooking oil in NJ

AP

– Tue Sep 21, 6:16 pm ET

NORTH BERGEN, N.J. – Two New York residents are accused of trying to steal used cooking oil from a New Jersey restaurant. Police said they caught Youngil Kim and Byung Ho Choi sucking 700 gallons of grease from two storage tanks behind a Five Guys Burgers and Fries restaurant in North Bergen Monday.

Waste oil can be turned into biodiesel fuel. The restaurant sells its grease to a contractor for a little more than $1 a gallon.

Police said the Queens, N.Y., residents attached a hose to a pump in a canary yellow van. The oil was stored in a plastic bladder.

Detective Lt. Frank Cannella tells The Record newspaper they "weren't sneaky thieves, they were greasy thieves."

It's not clear if they have lawyers.