What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (1 Viewer)

I find the burger to be a little overpriced, which is why I'll just get a regular fry, walk out for under $3, and still be full.
:lmao: Great shtick in here about these unbelievable prices.
$2.69 for a small fries at Five Guys (but it's a large 'small'), I am admittedly out of the loop on fast food pricing how much are large fries at McDonalds?
Its probably been a year since ive been to McD's, but Im pretty sure a large fry there is over $2..Id say something like $2.29ETA: Which is part of my point. Not only are 5 Guys fries hands down better than the other options most people have, their regular fry is like 2 fast food larges (if not more).

Last edited by a moderator:
for those who do not like the fries - please list a place whose fries you do like.

(so I can tell you how wrong you are)
McDonalds fries destroy 5 guys
After watching the bonus features on "Super Size Me", I refuse to ever eat McDonald's fries again.
You needed the bonus features to decide that? Never saw them, what did I miss?
They got a big mac and fries from mcdonalds and a hamburger and fries from some place that makes them handmade and put them all under glass to watch them decompose. Within a day, the homemade stuff was looking kinda bad. Big mac lasted about a week before it showed signs of decomposition (mold on the bun if I recall) the McDonald's fries lasted over 6 weeks and still looked brand new.
Thanks. I think I recall a website dedicated to that zombie Big Mac 'n' fries.
with fries, all several years old. They still look pretty good. No mold, no discoloration.

Final analysis: It's an above average fast food burger experience compared to the traditional McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr set but IMO the quality of the burger and fries falls well short of In-N-Out and when you factor in the premium you pay for the burger (you are looking at $2 minimum, without factoring in a drink) it's simply not worth it.
I find it worth it because in South Florida, we just don't have some of the other options that were mentioned. If I had access to In-N-Out or whatever Fast/Medium food options mentioned, I may agree. Five Guys is probably the best quick burger I can get in the immediate vicinity but then again, I can't vouch for every other place in Miami that serves burgers. I know that I have read about numerous places in South Beach/Miami Beach that specialize in burgers but for me, a burger is usually not a destination food. It's a "what's available within a 5-10 minute drive of my house" kind of food.
$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries), that price point is just too high for what they are delivering. Since a burger isn't a destination meal, I am sure there are better non burger options to spend your meal money.
Oh sure, but if I want a burger, I'll probably shoot the lock off of my wallet :rolleyes: for the extra buck and think of Five Guys first.
I am talking about relative price, not absolute price.$7.67 isn't an expensive meal, but if you can get an equal, or better, meal for $4.85 doesn't that make sense?
What is an equal or better meal for $4.85?

Five Guys and Smashburger are pretty similar, IMO. They're both way better than McDonald's or Wendy's. But I would still take In-N-Out over them, especially when taking price into account.

Final analysis: It's an above average fast food burger experience compared to the traditional McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr set but IMO the quality of the burger and fries falls well short of In-N-Out and when you factor in the premium you pay for the burger (you are looking at $2 minimum, without factoring in a drink) it's simply not worth it.
I find it worth it because in South Florida, we just don't have some of the other options that were mentioned. If I had access to In-N-Out or whatever Fast/Medium food options mentioned, I may agree. Five Guys is probably the best quick burger I can get in the immediate vicinity but then again, I can't vouch for every other place in Miami that serves burgers. I know that I have read about numerous places in South Beach/Miami Beach that specialize in burgers but for me, a burger is usually not a destination food. It's a "what's available within a 5-10 minute drive of my house" kind of food.
$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries), that price point is just too high for what they are delivering. Since a burger isn't a destination meal, I am sure there are better non burger options to spend your meal money.
Their competition is sub shops (which you aren't getting out for a less price) cheese steak places (same thing) and McDonalds and Burger King (and in all honesty...the latter one you aren't getting drink, fries and comparable burger for between six and seven...never mind that you are getting more at 5 Guys). 5 Guys price even compares to places like Applebees, Fridays and Tuesdays......middle of the road lunch national chain places. And as far as McDonalds goes, if one is saying that a McDouble, large fry and dollar drink for 3.78 is comparable quality to 5 Guys...more power to them.As far as the whole In n Out v. 5 Guys goes.....5 Guys just filled the void that is made possible by In N Out's regional business model. I'm sure In N Out and Fatburger were very much inspirations for the place. Where I live, 5 Guys rival is Jake's (The Best Burger Under the Sun)....and while the burger is very, very good...their fries suck and they don't give you nearly as much.

Oh sure, but if I want a burger, I'll probably shoot the lock off of my wallet :rolleyes: for the extra buck and think of Five Guys first.
I am talking about relative price, not absolute price.$7.67 isn't an expensive meal, but if you can get an equal, or better, meal for $4.85 doesn't that make sense?
What is an equal or better meal for $4.85?
I think I need to withdraw my contender form this debate as they clearly have a better business model that allows them, despite being a smaller company, to deliver at a much better price.

I guess I really am out of the fast food loop. In-N-Out is all I ever eat in that arena, except for the occasional drunken carnitas burrito from any of the numerous FF Mexican foods around here.

I need to change my way of thinking from "the other guys are too darn expensive" to "In-N-Out is remarkably inexpensive".

So how does a regional business manage to bring high quality fast food to market for so much less than national powerhouses with much better purchasing power?

I tried a Redamak's burger in New Buffalo, MI this week that would kick the crap out of Five Guys!!!&:$;@&)-

Too bad there is only one of them.

I'm still mad at them for selling me a burger without the meat patty in it. How the hell does that happen? I'm still perplexed over this. The regional manager agreed with me on an email. I'm hoping my letter to him has ended the horrendous practice of selling a man a meatless burger to go.

$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries)
skip the fries and eat all the free peanuts you want. grab a water if you need something to help wash it down. :lmao: at everyone complaining about the price. order less if you don't want to pay that much. who is forcing people to buy the fries?
A burger without fries? Take that crazy talk back to Russia.
:lmao:

Agreed. I can't afford an extra $2 for a burger, except on special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. I usually have to work an extra weekend or two to make up the damn difference.

This thread is starting to feel like one of Mister Boffo's People Unclear on the Concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still mad at them for selling me a burger without the meat patty in it. How the hell does that happen? I'm still perplexed over this. The regional manager agreed with me on an email. I'm hoping my letter to him has ended the horrendous practice of selling a man a meatless burger to go.
I think I draw the line on you going Best Buy on a food outlet. Remain calm.

Alright, I take back what I said about the price. It's freaking expensive. over $16 my wife and I for 2 burgers, one order of fries and 2 drinks. Seems pricey as hell but it was a damn good experience. Great burger. :thumbup:

Agreed. I can't afford an extra $2 for a burger, except on special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. I usually have to work an extra weekend or two to make up the damn difference.
Dont forget graduations. :thumbup:

Dont forget graduations. :thumbup:
I don't know anyone who graduates.

skip the fries and eat all the free peanuts you want. grab a water if you need something to help wash it down. :lmao: at everyone complaining about the price. order less if you don't want to pay that much. who is forcing people to buy the fries?
An apples-to-apples comparison is appropriate, no? If burger+fries+soda cost $X at 5 Guys vs. $Y at In-N-Out, that's the point. Unless you want a lot of posts that read "You can only get a burger at 5 Guys for the price you pay for a burger, fries, and soda everywhere else."
You think 5 guys vs InNOut is comparing apples to apples?
What's the big difference between the two anyway? For both, you order at a counter with some guy with a paper hat, he reads it into a microphone, you get a receipt with a number on it, they call your number over the loudspeaker, you get your own bag of food from some other dude in a paper hat. At least Carl's Jr they have someone carry it to your table like a waiter. There's no tablecloths or anything, I'd say they're comparable restaurants.

The Five Guys that is about 3 miles from my office just opened. :pickle:

Do all Five Guys have the fry sauce, or just the Utah ones? I know fry sauce is a Utah thing, but didn't know if it traveled.

Speaking of which, have we said our favorite topping combinations? I love me a bacon cheeseburger with the lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms and mayo and ketchup. :yes:

The Five Guys that is about 3 miles from my office just opened. :pickle:Do all Five Guys have the fry sauce, or just the Utah ones? I know fry sauce is a Utah thing, but didn't know if it traveled.Speaking of which, have we said our favorite topping combinations? I love me a bacon cheeseburger with the lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms and mayo and ketchup. :yes:
Fry sauce is indigienous to Utah, it doesn't travel. Before I moved out there, I used to make it myself at the Roy Roger's fixins bar. I couldn't believe it when I got out there and found out I could just order it in a cup. Have never seen it anywhere else, though.

Ate there for the first time when we were on vacation in Tennessee.. It was very good and very fast.. overall a :thumbup:

On a side note, the malt vinegar is :X

It tasted like I was dipping my fries in easter egg coloring...

Ate there for the first time when we were on vacation in Tennessee.. It was very good and very fast.. overall a :thumbup:On a side note, the malt vinegar is :X It tasted like I was dipping my fries in easter egg coloring...
You have lost your mind. Nothing beats Malt Vinegar soaked fries. :excited:

Went to Fudruckers yesterday.

Fudruckers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Five Guys

Went to Fudruckers yesterday. Fudruckers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Five Guys
I certainly wouldn't rank them that way. But Fuddruckers does have good shakes. Don't they have a venison burger now or something?

Went to Fudruckers yesterday. Fudruckers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Five Guys
I certainly wouldn't rank them that way. But Fuddruckers does have good shakes. Don't they have a venison burger now or something?
It's been years since I've been to a Fuddruckers, but their burger yesterday was perfect. It was piping hot when I bit into it, which I love. Plus, I really like adding all the stuff I want on there - free of charge. Having to pay extra for every little ingredient at 5 Guys is a dink in their armor and the fact that THEY get to control how many pickles I want to put on there is not nearly as cool as allowing me to rape the pickle stand at Fuddruckers.I didn't see venison, but I did see Buffalo Burger, which is another great option. Fuddrucker has plenty of options. Men love options. Also, you can get a beer at Fuddruckers. I don't want a soda pop with a burger. I'm not 7. I'm a man. I want a beer, damn it. Not ice cream, not tea, not a coke. Give me a freaking cold beer with my burger. If I'm going to pollute my body, allow me to do it with the drink of my choice and to do it all the way.Better experience by far. No obnoxious chants from the workers, no long lines...it was tremendous. :thumbup:

Having to pay extra for every little ingredient at 5 Guys is a dink in their armor
Wat?

I didn't see venison, but I did see Buffalo Burger, which is another great option. Fuddrucker has plenty of options. Men love options.
Just checked their website. Exotic burgers include Bison (cook that at home. Be interesting to see what they do with it) Elk and Wild Boar. Shame they don't have any locations near me.

That's where you pick your cow right GM?
Pretty much....I ordered the Chipotle BBQ burger and thought I was done. She says to me 'What size do you want' and I asked 'what are my options' thinking there'd be two. No sir. You can go 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or...1 full LB. How's THAT for options? Then...how do I want it cooked? Love that option too.But nothing in the world beats being able to select all the veggies and condiments I want. I absolutely destroyed the pepper bar and took extra to toss in my barf hole while I was destroying the burger. Beer, much better fries (seasoned potato wedges) limitless pickles and peppers, fresh iceberg lettuce....options, boys. It's all about the options.

I didn't see venison, but I did see Buffalo Burger, which is another great option. Fuddrucker has plenty of options. Men love options.
Just checked their website. Exotic burgers include Bison (cook that at home. Be interesting to see what they do with it) Elk and Wild Boar. Shame they don't have any locations near me.
I didn't see Elk or Wild Boar, but I'll go back and check.

Having to pay extra for every little ingredient at 5 Guys is a dink in their armor
This is not how it works at any 5 Guys I've been to.
I might be mis-remembering this. I haven't been in quite some time, but I thought every ingredient was extra?
:no: they charge for nothing.
Well, I don't feel too bad for accusing them of this since they gave me a burger to go once WITHOUT THE FREAKING MEAT IN IT.... :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: Also, just noticed your sig....I've seen Webb Wilder in concert not once, but twice. :thumbup:

I remember one in the Milwaukee suburbs and I think there is a FR on International Drive in Orlando. I can guarantee you that one has a big line. Effin cesspool!

I might be mis-remembering this. I haven't been in quite some time, but I thought every ingredient was extra?
They charge extra for cheese and bacon, but that's it. But I'm not sure if that re-opens the long-ago FBG debate as to whether those are "toppings" in the first place.

They charge extra for cheese and bacon, but that's it. But I'm not sure if that re-opens the long-ago FBG debate as to whether those are "toppings" in the first place.
Well, five guys does not list those as toppings.

Users who are viewing this thread