What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (2 Viewers)

Go figure. The thing that stood out most to me was how cheap the place was. One regular sized fry could feed 3 or 4, they make decent leftovers with mayo on the side.
really? ten bucks for a fast food burger and fries doesnt really seem cheap to me.

Go figure. The thing that stood out most to me was how cheap the place was. One regular sized fry could feed 3 or 4, they make decent leftovers with mayo on the side.
really? ten bucks for a fast food burger and fries doesnt really seem cheap to me.
Yeah. IIRC my "little cheeseburger" (which is what you order if you don't want a double hamburger), the smallest order of fries, and the smallest drink, came to a total of $9.60 or something.Granted, I liked the hamburger. In fact, I liked it better than a Wendy's hamburger.

But not twice as much more. :lmao:

I'm happy that they've found a niche, and that there is a market of people that just love their stuff. Succesful businesses are what this country needs.

But I'm not going to pay $50,000 for an automobile just because it's better than a $25,000 automobile when the $25,000 satisfies everything I need it to do. The same can be said of $5 and $10 hamburger meals.

I'm obviously not the type of consumer that Five Guys is trying to appeal to.

Granted, I liked the hamburger. In fact, I liked it better than a Wendy's hamburger. But not twice as much more. :lmao:
:yes: Went there for the first time yesterday and that sums up my thoughts.It's a really good burger, but if I'm going to spend $10 on my lunch I have a lot of better options than a burger.

Tried it once and though it was meh. Maybe the 5 guys were just having an off day and I should try again.
Same here.I didn't find anything special at all about it. In fact, it tasted like a burger I've gotten at a friend's bbq.I'll have to give it a second chance, but my first experience didn't come close to In-N-Out.

not sure how you guys are spending $10 on the burger unless the prices are doubled in your neck of the woods.
It's been a few weeks.... but I remember the little cheeseburger was just over $4. I remember it because the little hamburger like $0.50 less and was under $4. The smallest order of fries was more than $2.50 (like $2.69 or something). And I think the smallest drink was $1.89. Tax for eating in, and it was just below $10.If it was the same price point as Wendy's I'd choose Five Guys hands down. Maybe even if was just a buck more. But I can easily get a decent hamburger, fries, and a drink at Wendy's just down the street from Five Guys for half as much. Perhaps not as good as Five Guys, but good enough to justify being half as much from my wallet.

If it was the same price point as Wendy's I'd choose Five Guys hands down. Maybe even if was just a buck more. But I can easily get a decent hamburger, fries, and a drink at Wendy's just down the street from Five Guys for half as much. Perhaps not as good as Five Guys, but good enough to justify being half as much from my wallet.
Five Guys is fine dining compared to Wendy's.Pretty sure BK has some burger options that cost about $4 and I'm guessing Wendy's isn't too far behind. Nobody is forcing you to order the fries and drink if you're worried about spending money. I usually drink water, which is free.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was the same price point as Wendy's I'd choose Five Guys hands down. Maybe even if was just a buck more. But I can easily get a decent hamburger, fries, and a drink at Wendy's just down the street from Five Guys for half as much. Perhaps not as good as Five Guys, but good enough to justify being half as much from my wallet.
Five Guys is fine dining compared to Wendy's.

Pretty sure BK has some burger options that cost about $4 and I'm guessing Wendy's isn't too far behind. Nobody is forcing you to order the fries and drink if you're worried about spending money. I usually drink water, which is free.
:mellow: dude its all fast/junk food, none of that crap should cost a ten spot for lunch

Five Guys is fine dining compared to Wendy's.Pretty sure BK has some burger options that cost about $4 and I'm guessing Wendy's isn't too far behind. Nobody is forcing you to order the fries and drink if you're worried about spending money. I usually drink water, which is free.
BK sucks.Wendy's has some $4 burgers too. They're double and triple burgers. Five Guys double burger ain't $4. Summing up your response, you're telling me I can get a little hamburger and water at Five Guys for the same price I can get a hamburger, fries, and a coke at Wendy's. Good to know! ;)

Summing up your response, you're telling me I can get a little hamburger and water at Five Guys for the same price I can get a hamburger, fries, and a coke at Wendy's. Good to know! :kicksrock:
you can eat off the $1 menu at McDs too. Doesn't mean you should.if you like crappy fast food burgers, then obviously Five Guys isn't for you.

:kicksrock: :goodposting: :goodposting:

I went with my girl so that helped the value. The 2.69 fry was enough for both of us plus a late snack for me. I can't even finish a double :( so when we get 2 doubles and a regular fry and share a drink its like getting 4 burger combos for under $20. The left overs are obviously not as good but good enough for me.

And the grilled mushroom/onion option is awesome, and free.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Death Bytes said:
Summing up your response, you're telling me I can get a little hamburger and water at Five Guys for the same price I can get a hamburger, fries, and a coke at Wendy's. Good to know! :thumbup:
you can eat off the $1 menu at McDs too. Doesn't mean you should.if you like crappy fast food burgers, then obviously Five Guys isn't for you.
You can certainly resort to calling food at Wendy's crap if that's the only way for you to make a point. In fact, let's even both agree to call it crap. I have no problem with that... because there are a lot of people who would call all the food that Five Guys serves crap too. Both Wendy's and Five Guys serve some of the most unhealthy food people can eat. It's all crap! And as I've said before, I admit $10 worth of burger, fries and Coke at Five Guys tastes better than $5 bucks of burger, fires and a Coke at Wendys. It's just not twice better to me. Five Guys just isn't worth it to me to pay twice as much for, even though I admit it tastes better.

To quote Vincent Vega: "That's a pretty ####### good milkshake. I don't know if it's worth five dollars... but it's pretty ####### good!"

And as I've said before, I admit $10 worth of burger, fries and Coke at Five Guys tastes better than $5 bucks of burger, fires and a Coke at Wendys. It's just not twice better to me. Five Guys just isn't worth it to me to pay twice as much for, even though I admit it tastes better.
you're not getting an equal amount of food though so it's not a very good comparison.you're probably getting a bigger and/or better quality burger(s) at Five Guys and much better fries with way more of them included in that price.also, the fries at wendys are basically inedible, IMO.

And as I've said before, I admit $10 worth of burger, fries and Coke at Five Guys tastes better than $5 bucks of burger, fires and a Coke at Wendys. It's just not twice better to me. Five Guys just isn't worth it to me to pay twice as much for, even though I admit it tastes better.
you're not getting an equal amount of food though so it's not a very good comparison.you're probably getting a bigger and/or better quality burger(s) at Five Guys and much better fries with way more of them included in that price.also, the fries at wendys are basically inedible, IMO.
Why do I need MORE food? More food is more calories!Isn't five dollars of food from Wendy's like 2000 calories? If I really want more food, I can just order a second burger and fries and it still wouldn't be $10 at Wendy's.

Death Bytes said:
mozzy84 said:
Yeah. IIRC my "little cheeseburger" (which is what you order if you don't want a double hamburger), the smallest order of fries, and the smallest drink, came to a total of $9.60 or something.Granted, I liked the hamburger. In fact, I liked it better than a Wendy's hamburger.

But not twice as much more. :thumbup:

I'm happy that they've found a niche, and that there is a market of people that just love their stuff. Succesful businesses are what this country needs.

But I'm not going to pay $50,000 for an automobile just because it's better than a $25,000 automobile when the $25,000 satisfies everything I need it to do. The same can be said of $5 and $10 hamburger meals.

I'm obviously not the type of consumer that Five Guys is trying to appeal to.
If everyone else believes in this manner, then i will stay out of it. I love burgers but I'm not going to start comparing $10 burger that satisfies everything a need to a 50k car that does the same. wtfYou are obviously not who they're trying to market to. Who is trying to market to you, you say? I don't a freaking clue

Why do I need MORE food? More food is more calories!Isn't five dollars of food from Wendy's like 2000 calories? If I really want more food, I can just order a second burger and fries and it still wouldn't be $10 at Wendy's.
Again, take it home. There's no rule that you have to eat everything they give you. I've had leftover 5 guys twice now. The fries need 'something' out of the microwave, whether it be ketchup or mayo (what can I say, I'm a fry and mayo guy) but the burger out of the micro isn't bad.

Does anyone like the Cajun fries? I love me some seasoned fries and I'm hoping I just got a bad batch but there was WAY too much seasoning. Is this normal?

I've had leftover 5 guys twice now. The fries need 'something' out of the microwave, whether it be ketchup or mayo (what can I say, I'm a fry and mayo guy) but the burger out of the micro isn't bad.
French fries and mayo? I hope you are washing that down with a Diet Coke.

mozzy84 said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
not sure how you guys are spending $10 on the burger unless the prices are doubled in your neck of the woods.
pretty sure we talking your standard combo meal - burger, fries and a drink.
nowhere near $10 in my area
I doubt this differs from area to area, maybe your area is special, dunno...cheesburger - $5.59 fries reg fry - 2.59 reg soda -1.99

mozzy84 said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
I doubt this differs from area to area, maybe your area is special, dunno...cheesburger - $5.59 fries reg fry - 2.59 reg soda -1.99
Franchise owners have some wiggle room in their prices. There are 2 locations within a mile of me. One location charges $1 more than the other location for my meal.

mozzy84 said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
:goodposting: Unless you've got some magical five guys run by leprechauns and unicorns, it's 10 bucks.

Five Guys tastes at least 10x better than Wendy's, so it's not a stretch to pay double for it.

Living in Austin there's absolutely no need to ever go to 5 guys. Sad if you live in an area and have no other options and forced to pay that much for such a mediocre burger.

Five Guys tastes at least 10x better than Wendy's
No, it really doesn't.Look, Five Guys is pretty good. It's not THAT great, though, that it deserves the same level level of fanboy-itis that you see in the Apple/iphone threads. So, let's turn down the hyperbole a notch and just accept the fact that Five Guys' version of their greasy, heart-clogging fast food tastes better than other fast food joints' versions of cholesterol bombs, and costs a solid clip more, and call it a day. Also, their fries suck dong. I like the idea of fresh potatoes or whatever, but they just weren't very good.

Five Guys tastes at least 10x better than Wendy's
No, it really doesn't.Look, Five Guys is pretty good. It's not THAT great, though, that it deserves the same level level of fanboy-itis that you see in the Apple/iphone threads. So, let's turn down the hyperbole a notch and just accept the fact that Five Guys' version of their greasy, heart-clogging fast food tastes better than other fast food joints' versions of cholesterol bombs, and costs a solid clip more, and call it a day. Also, their fries suck dong. I like the idea of fresh potatoes or whatever, but they just weren't very good.
My comment was less a reflection of Five Guys and more of a statement on how bad Wendy's food is. Doubt that I could even swallow more than 2 bites of their food.

Living in Austin there's absolutely no need to ever go to 5 guys. Sad if you live in an area and have no other options and forced to pay that much for such a mediocre burger.
Yeah, Austin's mediocre burgers are generally a bit cheaper.
To give you an idea the top of the line burger made from sirloin goes for $10 here http://www.driskillhotel.com/austin-restaurants.php
Yeah, but that's just the burger. (and the only thing I saw for $10 was 3 sliders)

To give you an idea the top of the line burger made from sirloin goes for $10 here http://www.driskillhotel.com/austin-restaurants.php
Yeah, but that's just the burger.
When I was there recently it came with fries just don't think they put it on the menu. I could barely finish the burger which was over 1/2 lb I believe.

Yeah, but that's just the burger. (and the only thing I saw for $10 was 3 sliders)
click on menu link and you'll see the burger...not slider

click on menu link and you'll see the burger...not slider
Only $10 for Tuesday lunch special. $11 rest of the time.

Five Guys tastes at least 10x better than Wendy's, so it's not a stretch to pay double for it.
Not in my book. Wendy's is by far, my best "fast food" burger. 5G's is at best, marginally better than Wendy's.

Only $10 for Tuesday lunch special. $11 rest of the time.
Would rather spend a buck more and get a gourmet burger but that's just me. Now, if I am going to compare 5 guys with regular burger places here it's not even close. Cheaper and the burgers are much better at PT, Dans, etc.Here's another place I like that serves 1/2 burgers and the cheese is in the center.

http://eatatyourmoms.com/wp-content/upload...03/back-pdf.pdf

5G's is at best, marginally better than Wendy's.
:loco:
seriously.
:shrug:Maybe since I'm from Ohio, and Wendy's was founded here, I'm fortunate to have better than average locations. Their burgers are always made fresh, the veggies are always fresh, and always good and hot. 5 G's is almost always a sloppy greasy mess. While that's not horrrible, I just don't like burgers like that very often.

Users who are viewing this thread