What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (1 Viewer)

The Commish said:
NCCommish said:
So to throw in another sandwich place. Had Jimmy Johns for the first time a couple of days ago. Absolutely not seeing it. Really my grocery store deli makes a better sub. It was very pedestrian and that's being generous.
yeah, place is gross. never understood it either ncc
Yeah, I remember one opening up in school, and just remember thinking of it as a cheap, crappy sub alternative to Subway. I haven't had one since then, but I've been surprised to hear people speaking pretty highly of it.
The JJ Gargantuan is about 400 billion times better than anything Subway can crank out.
This isn't exactly setting a very high bar GB. More like digging a hole in the ground. All you gotta do is step over it ;)

5 Beloved Restaurants That Are Seriously Overrated

Listen, I'm not saying In-N-Out makes a bad burger by any stretch of the imagination. They make ####### terrible fries. Like, almost the worst in existence. The burger is fine for the most part, though.

The thing is, people don't treat In-N-Out Burger like it makes a fine burger; people treat In-N-Out Burger like it cures cancer and performs other assorted miracles. I'd heard all of the over-the-top "It will change your life" kind of praise before I moved to Los Angeles, so, naturally, I was very much looking forward to investigating the hype once I arrived. I did. It was fine. Except for the fries, which, again, are total ###.

When I delivered this review to my new California friends, I was met with an almost universal response: "Well, you must not have ordered it the right way. You should have gotten it animal style.

First of all, grilled onions do not come from an animal. Also, I'd appreciate a little less pressure to put Thousand Island dressing on that ####. That is the worst dressing ever made. I would put raspberry vinaigrette on a burger before I'd consider that nonsense. Besides, that there is a "right" way to order is your first indication that you're dealing with an overrated sandwich.

There are burger places in this world that are so confident in their wares that they expressly prohibit customers from making any special requests. Extra onions? Nope. Hold the garlic pesto mayo? Hold your tongue, you heathen. Don't get me wrong, I hate that ####, too, but at least places like that earn their reputation based on the quality of the food, as opposed to the amount of prep time and detective work it takes to place a palatable order.

Speaking of that, what's with all the secrecy around the menu? If an item is available for the ordering, ####### tell us. I shouldn't have to consult Snopes to make sure that what I'm ordering actually exists. That #### should just be on the menu where I can order it.

Then again, why do they have a ####### menu at all? From every report I've seen or heard, you can kind of walk into In-N-Out and ask for just about anything and they'll make it for you. Someone ordered a burger with 100 patties once and they made it without question. If you ask me, a business that adheres to "the customer is always right" with that much vigor probably has some kind of ulterior motive.

Also, they don't have bacon. Not on their real menu, and not on that secret menu that people love so much. Does the Internet know this? I personally feel like a lot of false In-N-Out fandom would be destroyed if this glaring lack of available salty pork was a fact more people knew about. There should be laws on the books that force burger joints to serve bacon. It is a vital part of the experience. Even if you don't initially order bacon on your burger, it's at least nice knowing there's some around if the taste goes south halfway through and you have to call in reinforcements. This is not an option at In-N-Out Burger, and that alone should be enough to remove it from contention for the title of America's best burger restaurant.
Also, Fatburger is every bit as awesome as that Ice Cube song made it seem. If you're visiting California and must eat at a burger chain, go there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Listen, I'm not saying In-N-Out makes a bad burger by any stretch of the imagination. They make ####### terrible fries. Like, almost the worst in existence. The burger is fine for the most part, though.

The thing is, people don't treat In-N-Out Burger like it makes a fine burger; people treat In-N-Out Burger like it cures cancer and performs other assorted miracles. I'd heard all of the over-the-top "It will change your life" kind of praise before I moved to Los Angeles, so, naturally, I was very much looking forward to investigating the hype once I arrived. I did. It was fine. Except for the fries, which, again, are total ###.

When I delivered this review to my new California friends, I was met with an almost universal response: "Well, you must not have ordered it the right way. You should have gotten it animal style.

First of all, grilled onions do not come from an animal. Also, I'd appreciate a little less pressure to put Thousand Island dressing on that ####. That is the worst dressing ever made. I would put raspberry vinaigrette on a burger before I'd consider that nonsense. Besides, that there is a "right" way to order is your first indication that you're dealing with an overrated sandwich.

There are burger places in this world that are so confident in their wares that they expressly prohibit customers from making any special requests. Extra onions? Nope. Hold the garlic pesto mayo? Hold your tongue, you heathen. Don't get me wrong, I hate that ####, too, but at least places like that earn their reputation based on the quality of the food, as opposed to the amount of prep time and detective work it takes to place a palatable order.

Speaking of that, what's with all the secrecy around the menu? If an item is available for the ordering, ####### tell us. I shouldn't have to consult Snopes to make sure that what I'm ordering actually exists. That #### should just be on the menu where I can order it.

Then again, why do they have a ####### menu at all? From every report I've seen or heard, you can kind of walk into In-N-Out and ask for just about anything and they'll make it for you. Someone ordered a burger with 100 patties once and they made it without question. If you ask me, a business that adheres to "the customer is always right" with that much vigor probably has some kind of ulterior motive.

Also, they don't have bacon. Not on their real menu, and not on that secret menu that people love so much. Does the Internet know this? I personally feel like a lot of false In-N-Out fandom would be destroyed if this glaring lack of available salty pork was a fact more people knew about. There should be laws on the books that force burger joints to serve bacon. It is a vital part of the experience. Even if you don't initially order bacon on your burger, it's at least nice knowing there's some around if the taste goes south halfway through and you have to call in reinforcements. This is not an option at In-N-Out Burger, and that alone should be enough to remove it from contention for the title of America's best burger restaurant.

Also, Fatburger is every bit as awesome as that Ice Cube song made it seem. If you're visiting California and must eat at a burger chain, go there.
/end thread

Isn't there a KFC you should be eating at?

I had in & out two weeks ago tonight. Drive thru line was about 30 cars so had to brave the elements and go inside. Got two double-doubles and 2 fries to go. Stellar. Not sure how anyone could hate on that burger. For $3 and change nothing comes close. Always fresh and never a bad batch. Same every time. Fries were perfect. Just exactly what you'd expect french fried potatoes to taste like. No frills. Piping hot.

I had in & out two weeks ago tonight. Drive thru line was about 30 cars so had to brave the elements and go inside. Got two double-doubles and 2 fries to go. Stellar. Not sure how anyone could hate on that burger. For $3 and change nothing comes close. Always fresh and never a bad batch. Same every time. Fries were perfect. Just exactly what you'd expect french fried potatoes to taste like. No frills. Piping hot.
Excellent posting.

The author of the article can't even spell his middle name right.

I move that his testimony be stricken from the record!

So to throw in another sandwich place. Had Jimmy Johns for the first time a couple of days ago. Absolutely not seeing it. Really my grocery store deli makes a better sub. It was very pedestrian and that's being generous.
yeah, place is gross. never understood it either ncc
Yeah, I remember one opening up in school, and just remember thinking of it as a cheap, crappy sub alternative to Subway. I haven't had one since then, but I've been surprised to hear people speaking pretty highly of it.
The JJ Gargantuan is about 400 billion times better than anything Subway can crank out.
This isn't exactly setting a very high bar GB. More like digging a hole in the ground. All you gotta do is step over it ;)
:lmao: Very true.

Isn't there a KFC you should be eating at?
I haven't had KFC in probably 10 years.

I still can't get over the fact that in that area of the country, a chain has the "best burger" :mellow: That D.C. has the same issue is just icing on the cake.

I still can't get over the fact that in that area of the country, a chain has the "best burger" :mellow: That D.C. has the same issue is just icing on the cake.
It's just one guy making a list and putting it on the internet. It's not a fact. Obviously there are many better burgers in the state.

Yep. Have no idea why the fries get a bad rap. They are outstanding.

Just don't get this. Tasteless with poor texture. Other than that, great!

Again the Steak Fries at Fatburger are way better

It's just one guy making a list and putting it on the internet. It's not a fact. Obviously there are many better burgers in the state.
According to this very thread, that's not possible :shrug:
You haven't read the thread then.
Don't bother.

Read plenty of it...all with the appropriate amount of sarcasm. Perhaps you should do the same. Though, I do find it funny that the guy mailed it in when it came to Cali and DC. Good shtick :thumbup:

Don't bother.
oooooooof

The fries are not good, guys. It's ok to admit it. You're among friends here.
You know who's fries are not good? Wendy's. I got roped into a road trip a few months back and hit a Wendy's for the first time in years. I couldn't believe how bad it was, the fries especially. Awful.

I'm convinced if In & Out just drenched their fries in salt that the haters would suddenly stop hating them. Don't understand why people hate them other than maybe that they don't over salt them. Potato>slicer>fryer>done. What's to hate about that?

Wendy's fries also terrible. Like everything on their menu besides the frosty and maybe the chicken sandwich.

Wendy's fries also terrible. Like everything on their menu besides the frosty and maybe the chicken sandwich.
I had the spicy chicken sandwich and it was on par with the fries. Awful. Dry, super thin with a spongy bun. I had something called a double-stack too which I took one bite of and threw out the window. Just vile.

Those fries are too starchy and undercooked. My main problem with Fatburger is each location is different. It's never consistent. That and the place is usually a sty. The grills in that place have burger pieces from the 1950's still crisping all over it. Every burger is a throw back to a time gone by, There used to be a Fatburger right in the middle of La Cienega near Wilshire. It was on an island right in the middle of the street. Place finally had to shut down because of rodent infestation. It'd always get a B or C in the health ratings but one day they showed up and the rats had taken it over. It was like a horror movie. Nobody could even get near the place. Had to blow it up.

They are a slightly better version of McDonalds fries. Almost an exact copy, but less oily and less fake golden.

Going to in and out for lunch ordering a double double and fries.
skip the fries and that's a solid lunch. Adding a side of cardboard tasting potatoes to a delicious juicy burger makes no sense. Good way to ruin Memorial Day IMO.

Just don't get this. Tasteless with poor texture. Other than that, great!Again the Steak Fries at Fatburger are way better
Those fries are too starchy and undercooked. My main problem with Fatburger is each location is different. It's never consistent. That and the place is usually a sty. The grills in that place have burger pieces from the 1950's still crisping all over it. Every burger is a throw back to a time gone by, There used to be a Fatburger right in the middle of La Cienega near Wilshire. It was on an island right in the middle of the street. Place finally had to shut down because of rodent infestation. It'd always get a B or C in the health ratings but one day they showed up and the rats had taken it over. It was like a horror movie. Nobody could even get near the place. Had to blow it up.
Maybe it is inconsistent - I had 95% of my fatburgers at Santa Monica and Gardner , they rocked. Ask for the fries well done for good order

I usually eat one or two at a time. Sometimes with salt, or ketchup, or both.
Things are starting come into focus now. You're not one of those who salts the ketchup, are you?
NoMight sprinkle some salt on and then dip in the ketchup.

They should taste good without either though. Those condiments enhance the flavor. They shouldn't be the only source of flavor.

In N Out fries are great, you just need to reseason them with the salt packet, then take them home and fry them up for a few minutes, a little more salt, and let them dry on a paper towel.

Just don't get this. Tasteless with poor texture. Other than that, great!Again the Steak Fries at Fatburger are way better
Maybe it is inconsistent - I had 95% of my fatburgers at Santa Monica and Gardner , they rocked. Ask for the fries well done for good order
That's the one where they declared the grill a historical landmark. Pieces of burger from 7 different decades all crisping together, 18 generations of cows all on one griddle.

Things are starting come into focus now. You're not one of those who salts the ketchup, are you?

They should taste good without either though. Those condiments enhance the flavor. They shouldn't be the only source of flavor.
Your palate has been hijacked by years of preservatives. Not many things better than a 7-8 fry finger full from that place. When I went in there a few weeks back a couple of dudes at a table had taken their tray, filled the thing with fries (had to be 8-9 orders) and placed it in between them with oceans of ketchup on either side. I thought to myself I was watching two in & out professional fry eaters. It impressive to see. Big crowd gathered around living and dying with every fry-grab'n'chew.

Sorry guys,the In & Out fries are disgustingly bad.

I doubt the squirrels out back would even eat them if I tossed them in the yard.

Your palate has been hijacked by years of preservatives. Not many things better than a 7-8 fry finger full from that place. When I went in there a few weeks back a couple of dudes at a table had taken their tray, filled the thing with fries (had to be 8-9 orders) and placed it in between them with oceans of ketchup on either side. I thought to myself I was watching two in & out professional fry eaters. It impressive to see. Big crowd gathered around living and dying with every fry-grab'n'chew.
Always nice to see a couple of fry pros doing work.

Users who are viewing this thread