What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (1 Viewer)

Grew up in Texas, worked at a BBQ place in HS, I have never heard of Mac n Cheese with BBQ. Potato salad, macaroni salad, sure, but Mac n Cheese? Maybe I'm missing out on something?
It might be an east coast, deep south thing rather than a mid-west thing. If only we knew a true BBQ aficionado who could come in and drop some knowledge on us about this.
A true BBQ aficionado would say, "#### the sides."

Arguing what real BBQ places do is incredibly contigent on what "real BBQ" is defined as. People who do BBQ in Texas are usualy referring to Beef Brisket, where as people who do BBQ in the Carolinas are usually refering to Pulled Pork, whereas in a lot of other places in the country BBQ is a sauce you put on any slow cooked meat. In fact, some people say BBQ is the grill that slow cooks the meat. There could be no sauce or rub added to the meat at all, but because the meat was cooked on their grill, it's BBQ. It could be nothing more than a hot dog, but the hot dog has been BBQed. Without agreeing on what "real BBQ" is, the question of what sides should be served with real BBQ could go on forever.
The point is that it's a BBQ / Burger Joint, not "Shake or Mac n Cheese" joint. If I go to a steak house and their steaks are incredible but complain it's not worth going because their salads blow is laughable. I am going for the burger/BBQ/Steak, etc not the sides. I would only include the sides if my two choices are similar but one has worst sides.

Grew up in Texas, worked at a BBQ place in HS, I have never heard of Mac n Cheese with BBQ. Potato salad, macaroni salad, sure, but Mac n Cheese? Maybe I'm missing out on something?
It might be an east coast, deep south thing rather than a mid-west thing. If only we knew a true BBQ aficionado who could come in and drop some knowledge on us about this.
A true BBQ aficionado would say, "#### the sides."
:popcorn:

Normally I'm defending Texas barbecue against some pretentious %^&*@! who thinks the form begins and ends in Memphis. Good to know the same dbags exist regardless of regional preference.
Being from Los Angeles, I would kill for halfway decent TX, Memphis or NC style BBQ. We don't have jack ish out here except for a few places in the hood.
There's a great bbq place in Bakersfield but that's a ways from you

Normally I'm defending Texas barbecue against some pretentious %^&*@! who thinks the form begins and ends in Memphis. Good to know the same dbags exist regardless of regional preference.
Being from Los Angeles, I would kill for halfway decent TX, Memphis or NC style BBQ. We don't have jack ish out here except for a few places in the hood.
You would kill but would you pay?http://www.hogsfly.com/

Here is the menu of the best NC BBQ place I have been to, it was featured on Man v food. Here is the menu. Ton of sides.http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/menus/PitDinner.pdf

You would kill but would you pay?http://www.hogsfly.com/
I know a guy that goes out of his way to get Memphis stop-overs on his business trips just to get Rendevous. He tried the FedExed BBQ and said it just wasn't the same. :unsure:

There's a great bbq place in Bakersfield but that's a ways from you
Yeah, I like BBQ but that's too much of a drive.All we have that I know of is http://jrs-bbq.com/ and Phillips in Leimart Park.

Bottom line here is if you have great BBQ and crappy sides, you'll be ok, but if you have crappy BBQ and great sides, you'll be in serious trouble.

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??

I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :doh:

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??

I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :doh:
WAT

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :doh:
Adding salty fries to a sweet creamy shake does not sound appetizing. I can understand if they didnt sell fries and you thought that was completely weird, but not having a shake? The meal is already bad enough for you without adding in cold liquid fat everytime you go.

I still can't get over how I ordered a bacon cheeseburger to go and got EVERYTHING that I wanted on it except.....except the freaking burger patty itself. How does that happen?

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :thumbup:
Adding salty fries to a sweet creamy shake does not sound appetizing. I can understand if they didnt sell fries and you thought that was completely weird, but not having a shake? The meal is already bad enough for you without adding in cold liquid fat everytime you go.
Actually, sweet and salty is a very popular food pairing. There are also many foods like snack mixes, granola bars and cakes that have specifically "sweet and salty" versions. And we have to disagree; a shake is as important to the burger as the fries. We're not talking about a piece of lettuce, tomato or pickles. Google '"five guys" complaint milkshake' and you'll see thousands are in agreement! As for the healthiness of the meal, we rarely eat fast food and/or burgers, but the couple of times a year that we do, we're going to make sure it consists of the holy trinity of burger, fries and shake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :yucky:
Actually, sweet and salty is a very popular food pairing. There are also many foods like snack mixes, granola bars and cakes that have specifically "sweet and salty" versions. And we have to disagree; a shake is as important to the burger as the fries. We're not talking about a piece of lettuce, tomato or pickles. Google '"five guys" complaint milkshake' and you'll see thousands are in agreement! As for the healthiness of the meal, we rarely eat fast food and/or burgers, but the couple of times a year that we do, we're going to make sure it consists of the holy trinity of burger, fries and shake.
The holy trinity is celery, peppers and onions.

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :yucky:
Again if I had a hamburger joint that was known to have some of the best burgers in the area and you came in and was upset that I didn't serve shakes I would simply say this is a burger place not a shake place and would direct you to the nearest place. Same thing if you wanted the best salad, chips, or who made the best lasagna.

Texas BBQ joints with Mac & Cheese:

Gabby's

Big Daddy's

Dickey's

West Texas BBQ

Central BBQ

Watson: "How did you see that?"

Holmes: "Because I was looking for it."
Go look at the top BBQ joints in the whole state of Texas...they are deemed the best because of their BBQ not Mac and Cheese.
I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the statement that BBQ places in Texas don't serve mac and cheese.
Any reputable BBQ joint in Texas doesn't.

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :goodposting:
Again if I had a hamburger joint that was known to have some of the best burgers in the area and you came in and was upset that I didn't serve shakes I would simply say this is a burger place not a shake place and would direct you to the nearest place. Same thing if you wanted the best salad, chips, or who made the best lasagna.
or if you couldn't get a beer with it?

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :goodposting:
It's really not that simple. Why have sides at all? Heck, why have a bun? Or even water to drink? Just open a burger place and only sell patties served on a paper plate. "Mustard? This ain't a mustard place, this is a burger place. Now buy a meat disc or get out of here."

or if you couldn't get a beer with it?
or Big Red

Ok, let's get back on track. How can you enjoy your fries without having a milkshake to dip them in??I don't do this, but my wife does. She also thinks it's absurd Five Guys doesn't sell shakes. The one by us actually refers customers across the parking lot to Chik-Fil-A if they ask for a shake. :doh:
It's really not that simple. Why have sides at all? Heck, why have a bun? Or even water to drink? Just open a burger place and only sell patties served on a paper plate. "Mustard? This ain't a mustard place, this is a burger place. Now buy a meat disc or get out of here."
If a shake is more or as important than a burger to you then just order a McDonald's burger.Place have sides but if a place is known to have some of the best (fill in the blank) to then expect to have other things is sort of silly, right? Eating a better burger to me is > lesser burger plus some milk shake

bun is part of the burger

If a shake is more or as important than a burger to you then just order a McDonald's burger.Place have sides but if a place is known to have some of the best (fill in the blank) to then expect to have other things is sort of silly, right? Eating a better burger to me is > lesser burger plus some milk shake
So a place that serves inferior/stale buns, soggy fries or rancid condiments still gets a high Zagat's rating because their hamburger patty is to die for?Silly me, expecting a place to try to have (and do) more than one great thing on their menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a place that serves inferior/stale buns, soggy fries or rancid condiments still gets a high Zagat's rating because their hamburger patty is to die for?Silly me, expecting a place to try to have (and do) more than one great thing on their menu.
If a place is known for their burgers that's all that matters if you want a burger. If a burger joint has stale buns I am sure that alone would not make for a great burger.

Let's really blow the doors off this discussion:

Back to sweet and salty, I love to dip a hot, soft pretzel in my water ice. When I go to Rita's for a water ice, they have pretzels. Now, they are the frozen Super Pretzels you can by at the supermarket that they just hang in a heat box and rotate until warm like at the bowling alley (and not freshly baked from the finest homemade dough) but at least Rita's makes the effort to provide a common* compliment to their main fare.

That's all I'm saying. The lack of effort of at least offering a basic shake turns me off to their business. Maybe I'm missing out on the most orgasmic hamburger ever, but it's like having awesome sex with a 6 compared to very good sex with an 8.5.

*Yes, anyone in the Philly, NJ, DE, MD and maybe even NY area will attest to this.

Let's really blow the doors off this discussion:Back to sweet and salty, I love to dip a hot, soft pretzel in my water ice. When I go to Rita's for a water ice, they have pretzels. Now, they are the frozen Super Pretzels you can by at the supermarket that they just hang in a heat box and rotate until warm like at the bowling alley (and not freshly baked from the finest homemade dough) but at least Rita's makes the effort to provide a common* compliment to their main fare. That's all I'm saying. The lack of effort of at least offering a basic shake turns me off to their business. Maybe I'm missing out on the most orgasmic hamburger ever, but it's like having awesome sex with a 6 compared to very good sex with an 8.5.*Yes, anyone in the Philly, NJ, DE, MD and maybe even NY area will attest to this.
Water ice? Grew up in NJ, work in Manhattan. No idea what the hell that is. Soft pretzel needs nothing, save spicy mustard if thats your thing. Sure, shakes may be common in burger joints, but you act like they're synonomus. Burgers and fries. Sure. Burgers and fries and shakes? Burgers and shakes? Not so much. Most every fast food place is going to provide you with Heinz or Hunts ketchup with as a condiment - but an old time place in CT Louis Lunch not only doesn't offer ketchup, they ban it from the premises. Still considered a great burger though.

newteech said:
got to try 5 Guys for the first time this weekend. This place is a blatant rip-off of In N Out. Their menus are very similar, and even the decor looks like a copy. I guarantee In N Out did the fresh cut fries long before 5 Guys.The burger was okay, but it reminded me of something you might get at a backyard BBQ. The toppings were great but the meat was not of high quality, nowhere close to a Red Robin burger.
Pretty sure In N Out didn't create the whole fresh cut fries schtick either

I live directly across the street from Five Guys. I'm not much of a fan. It's just too greasy. I had a junior cheeseburger from there about a month ago and felt sick for a day.

Sure, shakes may be common in burger joints, but you act like they're synonomus. Burgers and fries. Sure. Burgers and fries and shakes? Burgers and shakes? Not so much.
:brush: The standard fast food meal is just burgers and fries. And if you want to associate a beverage with it, Coke would be more common than a shake.

Let's really blow the doors off this discussion:Back to sweet and salty, I love to dip a hot, soft pretzel in my water ice. When I go to Rita's for a water ice, they have pretzels. Now, they are the frozen Super Pretzels you can by at the supermarket that they just hang in a heat box and rotate until warm like at the bowling alley (and not freshly baked from the finest homemade dough) but at least Rita's makes the effort to provide a common* compliment to their main fare. That's all I'm saying. The lack of effort of at least offering a basic shake turns me off to their business. Maybe I'm missing out on the most orgasmic hamburger ever, but it's like having awesome sex with a 6 compared to very good sex with an 8.5.*Yes, anyone in the Philly, NJ, DE, MD and maybe even NY area will attest to this.
You are correct - Rita's does sell italian ice and pretzels. I have never ever seen anyone dunk their pretzel into their water ice.

Sure, shakes may be common in burger joints, but you act like they're synonomus. Burgers and fries. Sure. Burgers and fries and shakes? Burgers and shakes? Not so much.
:goodposting: The standard fast food meal is just burgers and fries. And if you want to associate a beverage with it, Coke would be more common than a shake.
:goodposting: Where this insistance that a shake is the ne plus ultra of a burger joing is what I've been trying to figure out since the whole shake thing first came up. Every combo meal at every fastfood burger place is burger, fries, soda, not burger, fries, shake.

I think I'd rather eat a bucket of turtle poop than the french fries from Red Robin.
:goodposting: Red Robin fries are terrible. No matter how many times I have received their bottomless fries they have never been hot.
Bingo. They are way to fat to ever cook right. I hate that. Add to it absolutely ZERO flavor and no amount of bottomless can compensate.
BUT THEY PUT THEIR SPECIAL SEASONING ON THE FRIES THEY HAVE TO TASTE GOOD

Users who are viewing this thread