What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (1 Viewer)

local independent burger restaurant on the southwest side of Brooklyn > fast food burgers [/koya]

Last edited by a moderator:
Except local delis are just as fast and as cheap than fast food, less expensive than 5G or Chipotle.

Politician Spock said:
I'm having Smashburger for lunch today. I'll report back.
So I got a regular classic smashburger, a regular order of smashfries, and a regular drink. Came to $9.49 after tax.

Meat is seasoned better than Five guys. Fries were crisp and salted. Great food and I ate everything. No throwing away food I paid for or paying for peanuts I didn't eat. And it was under $10. Left far more satisfied for what I paid than I ever felt leaving Five Guys. Smashburger kicks five asses!!!

Jimmy John's: B-. Not bad, but kind of flavorless, especially the bread.

Potbelly's: A-... that's real bacon.

Schlotsky's: B+. The bread is the best of any sandwich chain. Only complaint is the turkey seems way over-processed.

Jason's Deli: Unsure. I usually default to their very good salad bar when I eat there, but I seem to recall the sandwiches are decent.

Newk's (probably a regional entry) - B+. Love the bread with it's slightly dry texture.

Subway: C. Really they don't taste bad, especially when hungry, but I just don't feel confident that the meat product is indeed meat.

Jersey Mike's: Incompete. Only ate there once. Had the Rueben, and would have liked it more except for the steam sensation I had to endure while eating it.

Sandwiches I make: A++... I broil a mean ciabatta with creamed spinach, pre-broiled eggplant, roasted jalapeno, fresh mozzerella and chicken apple sausage.

Kind of digging Jersey Mike's due to the online ordering. Branching out here in SoCal.

No fuss. Just walk in. Yes, that's me. Thanks. Faster then In-n-Out or Five Guys.

Penn Station East Coast Subs

$11.42 for

8" steak and cheese sub

Small fries - enough for 1 person but certainly not a whole family, and while I could see the potatoes in house there was no indication of their origin

Fresh squeezed lemonade

Kind of digging Jersey Mike's due to the online ordering. Branching out here in SoCal.

No fuss. Just walk in. Yes, that's me. Thanks. Faster then In-n-Out or Five Guys.
You can order like this from five guys.
maybe thats why the five guys near me is always empty?

Jersey mikes is pretty good. Been eating there a little more. Better then subway. I do like Togos still too.
Maybe. Everyone in my neighborhood is in and out of five guys in about 60 seconds. Just walk up to the counter and give your name and they get your fries and hand you the bag.

same website had a top-10 fast food burgers list

http://www.thedailymeal.com/america-s-top-10-chain-burgers-slideshow

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys
That Fat burger doesn't look good.Steak n Shake at #4 was a surprise but I like their burgers.
I'm an In N Out fanboy and I've never heard of Shake Shack, but if Umami is on the list it HAS to be above InO.
Any time I see an inexplicable restaurant at the top of a list, I ask myself the following 2 questions:

1) Is it from NYC?

2) Is the author NYC-based?

In this case: check and check.

I have my doubts about that selection.

On the web you'll often find some NYC homer making best-of lists with nearly half of the places in NYC.

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys
That Fat burger doesn't look good.Steak n Shake at #4 was a surprise but I like their burgers.
I'm an In N Out fanboy and I've never heard of Shake Shack, but if Umami is on the list it HAS to be above InO.
Any time I see an inexplicable restaurant at the top of a list, I ask myself the following 2 questions:

1) Is it from NYC?

On the web you'll often find some NYC homer making best-of lists with nearly half of the places in NYC.
NYC is one of the best food cities in the world, this is prob why there are always a few places from here on these lists.

Shake Shack is fantastic... I love FG, but I'd prob take the SS burger over it. They have crinkle cut fries & I actually like the FG fries better though.

It started as a shack in Madison Square Park and now they are expanding. Luckily for my stomach (& unluckily for my arteries) they opened a location about 10 blocks from my house. They're up to 6 or 7.

Getting a burger on a nice day at the original in Madison Square Park is over an hour of waiting in line. Personally I wouldn't wait, but people do...

You can view the line at Shake Shack Cam Madison Square Park.

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys

1) Is it from NYC?

NYC is one of the best food cities in the world, this is prob why there are always a few places from here on these lists.

Shake Shack is fantastic... I love FG, but I'd prob take the SS burger over it. They have crinkle cut fries & I actually like the FG fries better though.

It started as a shack in Madison Square Park and now they are expanding. Luckily for my stomach (& unluckily for my arteries) they opened a location about 10 blocks from my house. They're up to 6 or 7.
42 Internationally now including 4 in Turkey and 5 in Dubai. And it actually started as a hot dog cart in Madison Square Park operating out of the Eleven Madison Park kitchen. The fries have changed (not for the better IMO, but for the healthier).

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys

1) Is it from NYC?

NYC is one of the best food cities in the world, this is prob why there are always a few places from here on these lists.Shake Shack is fantastic... I love FG, but I'd prob take the SS burger over it. They have crinkle cut fries & I actually like the FG fries better though.

42 Internationally now including 4 in Turkey and 5 in Dubai. And it actually started as a hot dog cart in Madison Square Park operating out of the Eleven Madison Park kitchen. The fries have changed (not for the better IMO, but for the healthier).
Wow, didn't realize they were outside of NYC... Thought there were just a few of them.

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys

1) Is it from NYC?

NYC is one of the best food cities in the world, this is prob why there are always a few places from here on these lists.Shake Shack is fantastic... I love FG, but I'd prob take the SS burger over it. They have crinkle cut fries & I actually like the FG fries better though.

Wow, didn't realize they were outside of NYC... Thought there were just a few of them.
In NY alone you have:

6 in Manhattan

2 in Brooklyn

1 in Long Island

2 in Queens (Citifield & JFK Airport)

1 in Saratoga Springs

It's a phenomenon I don't entirely get. Was out at Madison Square Park for the Big Apple Barbecue a couple of weeks ago. 16 of the best pitmasters from around the country and people were still waiting in line for 45 minutes for a Shake Shack burger.

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys

1) Is it from NYC?

In NY alone you have:

6 in Manhattan

2 in Brooklyn

1 in Long Island

1 in Saratoga Springs

It's a phenomenon I don't entirely get. Was out at Madison Square Park for the Big Apple Barbecue a couple of weeks ago. 16 of the best pitmasters from around the country and people were still waiting in line for 45 minutes for a Shake Shack burger.
Isn't it about to be two on LI?

Big Apple BBQ :thumbup:

I dont get the waiting on line either... When I used to work on 23rd st, I'd grab a burger early (like 11:30) if I wanted Shake Shack and beat the line... There used to be a NY Burger Company on Park Ave right there that was certainly very good (it shut down now :kicksrock: ) or another one on 6th Ave close by to get my burger fix if it was after 12.

1. Shake Shack

2. In N Out

3. Five Guys

1) Is it from NYC?

In NY alone you have:

6 in Manhattan

2 in Brooklyn

1 in Long Island

1 in Saratoga Springs

Isn't it about to be two on LI?
Westbury is the on currently open. Might be another one in the works. Where did you think it was opening?

I dont get the waiting on line either... When I used to work on 23rd st, I'd grab a burger early (like 11:30) if I wanted Shake Shack and beat the line... There used to be a NY Burger Company on Park Ave right there that was certainly very good (it shut down now :kicksrock: ) or another one on 6th Ave close by to get my burger fix if it was after 12.
What's this now?

So on the more local side a review for my Charlotte friends. Went to a place called Sauceman's for lunch a couple of days ago. It's a BBQ place, on the corner of West Blvd and Hwy 49, that has won a couple of smaller competitions. It wasn't bad but I was expecting more. And I was a little disappointed in the Mac and Cheese. It was a bit dry. The meat was good though on a par with Mac's Speed Shop which for a chain ain't bad.

What's this now?
In order to get Shake Shack in Madison Square Park, you basically have to wait on a line that wraps around the edge of the park... On a typical day, if you go around 12:30, the wait will be about 40 minutes to over an hour.

What's this now?
In order to get Shake Shack in Madison Square Park, you basically have to wait on a line that wraps around the edge of the park... On a typical day, if you go around 12:30, the wait will be about 40 minutes to over an hour.
he's making fun of the fact you said 'wait ON line' rather than 'wait IN line'.

What's this now?
That's pretty awful :shrug:

I'm coming around on In&Out's fries. :oldunsure:

The only burger joints near my office are In&Out and McD's. Easy choice. Would order fries out of habit, then at least remember to say well done. And their Neapolitan Shake is pretty damn awesome.

What's this now?
That's pretty awful :shrug:
Then why did you say it?

Users who are viewing this thread