What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lebron James will never win a championship... (1 Viewer)

No. 16

Footballguy
Put this down in history.

LBJ will never win an NBA championship. He doesnt have the killer instinct or clutch play to become the best. He'll never be Magic and no way will he ever be Jordan.

I still think he'll become one of the best players in the NBA, but he'll be just like Peyton Manning. All stats and no rings.

If it takes a supposed franchise savior 3 NBA season before he hits a game winner... there's a problem. What's even worse is he has been considered "the man" practially since he put on a Cavs jersey.

Wade amd Melo on the other hand will win their fair share of championships.

Last edited by a moderator:
You realize he's an MVP candidate in the NBA at an age when most of the game's great players were either still in college or hadn't yet made a dent in the league?

The guy is 21 for Christ's sake.

You realize he's an MVP candidate in the NBA at an age when most of the game's great players were either still in college or hadn't yet made a dent in the league?

Understood, but 3 years in the league and he hadn't made ONE game winning shot. I'm not saying he'll be a crappy player, far from it. He's gonna be an all star year after year and as sure as close to a lock as you can get for HOF (if health permits). However, he doesn't possess the killer instinct to carry a team and win a championship. I don't have facts, but Ill bet $100 that it didn't take MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Isiah, and so forth 3 years before they hit a game winning shot in the league.

Understood all those guys had college experience, but LBJ has been THE MAN for the Cavs for 3 seasons. He's been their leading scorer and he had not hit a game winner. That means the dude is not clutch. It means he's afraid of the responsibility.

All the greats demand the ball is in their hands at crunch time, and they all demand that they take the last shot. Not LBJ and I dont think he'll ever get that.

Understood, but 3 years in the league and he hadn't made ONE game winning shot. I'm not saying he'll be a crappy player, far from it. He's gonna be an all star year after year and as sure as close to a lock as you can get for HOF (if health permits). However, he doesn't possess the killer instinct to carry a team and win a championship. I don't have facts, but Ill bet $100 that it didn't take MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Isiah, and so forth 3 years before they hit a game winning shot in the league.

Understood all those guys had college experience, but LBJ has been THE MAN for the Cavs for 3 seasons. He's been their leading scorer and he had not hit a game winner. That means the dude is not clutch. It means he's afraid of the responsibility.

All the greats demand the ball is in their hands at crunch time, and they all demand that they take the last shot. Not LBJ and I dont think he'll ever get that.
:thumbup:

:thumbup:
Some greats 1st game winning shot...MJ- Within 1 month of being Nov 11, 1984 - 12 footer with 4 seconds left - 118-116 vs Indiana

working on finding more...

they said on Sportscenter that Lebron was something like 2 for 16 on shots in the last 10 seconds of a game that would tie or take the lead

The most interesting thing to me was that the league-wide FG% for these shots is a hair under 30%.Given that, the small sample size we're dealing with here (16 shots), and James' age, I think it's too young to say that he's not going to be a clutch player.
He won't be. Already this year he's passe dup the game winning shot in 3 games or so in a one week stretch. He's afriad of taking the last shot.

The most interesting thing to me was that the league-wide FG% for these shots is a hair under 30%.Given that, the small sample size we're dealing with here (16 shots), and James' age, I think it's too young to say that he's not going to be a clutch player.
He won't be. Already this year he's passe dup the game winning shot in 3 games or so in a one week stretch. He's afriad of taking the last shot.
Chris Webber Syndrome.

Ignorance is funny. Each time that he passed up the game-winning shot this year, he made the right move. Even if you're a star, when you're double- or triple-teamed and you have a good shooter open, you pass the ball. It's WAY too early to draw any conclusions about the rest of his career.

I was at the game last night and If Lebron would have made some foul shots he wouldn't of needed to hit a game winning shot in OT, or make the game tieing assist at the end of regulation

the problem is he hasn't played in a "big" game yet

absolutely no playoff experience, didn't goto college so no experience there

Melo and Wade both went deep into the NCAA Tourney, they got some valuable experience there.

Ignorance is funny. Each time that he passed up the game-winning shot this year, he made the right move. Even if you're a star, when you're double- or triple-teamed and you have a good shooter open, you pass the ball. It's WAY too early to draw any conclusions about the rest of his career.
So passing the ball to Varejo, twice is the smart move?

Lebron needs time to develop that killer instinct. Its hard for anyone to comprehend just how easy basketball has been for him his entire life. Until he made the NBA, he never faced anyone who could even hold his jock. He was a 6'9 freak of nature destroying 5'10 HS players. Even the best HS players he faced couldnt hold a candle to him. he never had to develop that "ice water in your veins" mentality because he just murdered everyone who stepped on the court for the first 18 years of his life. guys like wade, Melo and even MJ had at least 1 year of college to play against talented competition. Lebron never did. He has to learn everything on the job.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.

Lebron needs time to develop that killer instinct. Its hard for anyone to comprehend just how easy basketball has been for him his entire life. Until he made the NBA, he never faced anyone who could even hold his jock. He was a 6'9 freak of nature destroying 5'10 HS players. Even the best HS players he faced couldnt hold a candle to him. he never had to develop that "ice water in your veins" mentality because he just murdered everyone who stepped on the court for the first 18 years of his life. guys like wade, Melo and even MJ had at least 1 year of college to play against talented competition. Lebron never did. He has to learn everything on the job.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.
VERY :goodposting:

:thumbup: Same arguments I made about Kobe back in the day...

Good points... but you don't think AFTER 3 NBA SEASONS of having the ball in your hands at all times... being the teams leading scorer he didn't make ONE! I'm not even asking for a couple.... just for 1 game winning shot in 3 years.MJ shot his within his 1st month.

LBJ took 3 seasons... do you remember Sportscenter reporting that stat for any other super star? You know why... b/c they all made game winning shots in their 1st season more than likely, if not by the end of their 2nd for sure.

But I'll bet my money that MJ, Isiah, Magic, Bird and all made game winners in their 1st years in the league.

Good points... but you don't think AFTER 3 NBA SEASONS of having the ball in your hands at all times... being the teams leading scorer he didn't make ONE! I'm not even asking for a couple.... just for 1 game winning shot in 3 years.MJ shot his within his 1st month.

LBJ took 3 seasons... do you remember Sportscenter reporting that stat for any other super star? You know why... b/c they all made game winning shots in their 1st season more than likely, if not by the end of their 2nd for sure.

But I'll bet my money that MJ, Isiah, Magic, Bird and all made game winners in their 1st years in the league.
could just be coincidence. Or it could just be that he is unselfish to a fault. He needs to learn to stick the dagger in people, no question about it. However, teaching a team player to take the big shot is alot easier than teaching a gunner to appreciate his teammates. *cough*kobe*cough*

could just be coincidence. Or it could just be that he is unselfish to a fault. He needs to learn to stick the dagger in people, no question about it. However, teaching a team player to take the big shot is alot easier than teaching a gunner to appreciate his teammates. *cough*kobe*cough*
True.We'll see... but I'll bet my money he doesn't win an NBA championship. If there was aplace to bet on it I would.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this  year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.

Your argument is flawed on so many levels.

I'll bet my money he doesn't win an NBA championship. If there was aplace to bet on it I would.
I'm sure there is a book somewhere willing to hold your money for the next 10 to 15 years.

How so?And what do you think and why

I dunno. Maybe he could pass the ball off to a Redick, McNamara, Morrison, or some other unknown player capable of making a game winner. It is possible that sometime in his career he'll play with somebody with talent.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this  year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.

Along your line of thinking?Because he's a good dunker.

:bye:

Along your line of thinking?Because he's a good dunker.

:bye:
How does that equate to my line of thinking?Dunking is athletic ability.

Taking and making the game winning shot is a matter of will, it's part of your persona. You either have it or not and as a perimeter player, he'll be required to take his fair share of game winners.

Anybody see who else was on that list - 'notable' for having so few game winners during the regular season?

Robert Horry.

'nuff said, I believe.

if the 2003 draft were held tomorrow knowing what we know now would anyone take lebron over wade?

Lebron has had quite a few game winning assists where hes been double or triple teamed and found a wide open teamate to hit the game winner. Lebron is a great passer, so he actually has options at the end of the game unlike many more one dimensional players. Was John Stockton not clutch because he was a pass first/shoot later type of player?(And yes I do realize that Stockton never won a title, but thats solely because he played at the same time as Jordan...in many other eras he would've had one).

:goodposting: Clutch play can be developed...its not totally natural. Give him some time to play against people who challenge him. Hes clearly improving in both him numbers and his team's success, so I don't think theres any reason that he won't also improve in this area.

No.16 claims that because Lebron has not hit any GW shots until this week, he will never win a championship.

Yet on the list at 82games.com, the eight players with the most GW-shots have exactly 0 championships between them.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

True.We'll see... but I'll bet my money he doesn't win an NBA championship. If there was aplace to bet on it I would.
I would take this bet with you. I'll go as high as $5000. You name the price. Yes, I'm serious. We'd have to have a respected person here(preferably a mod) take down our personal info and maybe fax a copy of driver's liscense or something like that to make sure that the loser doesn't back out.

If(and I realize that this is an absolute huge 'if') the Cavs went on to make a remarkable run and won it all this year, this would probably be the most bumped thread in FBGs history. That'd be entertaining for sure.

I'm not sure I understand this "stat" of yours ... which is more important, number of wins or number of game-winning shots made?

Furthermore, which is a better decision, passing to an open teammate or forcing a shot with 2 defenders on you (a la KoBean)?

I'm not sure I understand this "stat" of yours ... which is more important, number of wins or number of game-winning shots made?

Furthermore, which is a better decision, passing to an open teammate or forcing a shot with 2 defenders on you (a la KoBean)?
the stat isnt important at all but the point that lebron isnt the most clutch player around still remains. its not just game-winning shots, its a combination of a lot of things. granted he is insanely young and the ceiling for him is abuot as high as it gets, but right now, hes just not a "big moment" player. like someone mentioned above, itll be nice to see him in the playoffs this year.

have you guys seen him annihilate his fingernails during timeouts?

the stat isnt important at all but the point that lebron isnt the most clutch player around still remains. its not just game-winning shots, its a combination of a lot of things. granted he is insanely young and the ceiling for him is abuot as high as it gets, but right now, hes just not a "big moment" player. like someone mentioned above, itll be nice to see him in the playoffs this year.
Well, I completely agree with the main idea here. The usage of meaningless stats and "game winning shots" didn't enhance the argument, though.More baffling to me is why anyone wants to be the first to say "X will NEVER win a title" ... people said it with Jordan, with Elway, with Shaq, with Manning, etc. Why? Why, why, why, why, why? You don't win a prize for "calling it"!

The kid's 21. He could play for 17 more years! So many things can happen in that time frame, including Lebron improving his killer instinct.

Well, I completely agree with the main idea here. The usage of meaningless stats and "game winning shots" didn't enhance the argument, though.More baffling to me is why anyone wants to be the first to say "X will NEVER win a title" ... people said it with Jordan, with Elway, with Shaq, with Manning, etc. Why? Why, why, why, why, why? You don't win a prize for "calling it"!

The kid's 21. He could play for 17 more years! So many things can happen in that time frame, including Lebron improving his killer instinct.
exactly. kind of a pointless debate right now.

Users who are viewing this thread