What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lebron James will never win a championship... (1 Viewer)

Put this down in history.

LBJ will never win an NBA championship. He doesnt have the killer instinct or clutch play to become the best. He'll never be Magic and no way will he ever be Jordan.

I still think he'll become one of the best players in the NBA, but he'll be just like Peyton Manning. All stats and no rings.

If it takes a supposed franchise savior 3 NBA season before he hits a game winner... there's a problem. What's even worse is he has been considered "the man" practially since he put on a Cavs jersey.

Wade amd Melo on the other hand will win their fair share of championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:own3d:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:lmao: Just to recap his first ever playoff series at age 21:

35.7 pts (3rd all time behind Wilt and Kareem in first playoff series)

51% FG

7.5 reb

5.7 ast

1.33 stl

2 game winning shots

team wins series

And this endorsement from Scottie Pippen before last night's game: "He's got 20 more years to win championships. I think he'll be better than Michael."

But he probably doesn't have the perspective on the situation that No 16 has.

"ouch"

Guy just folded down the stretch today against the league's best defensive team. :sarcasm:
Pfft. Dude barely posted a triple double and only added 4 steals. Hit the backbreaking 3 in the last minute but it wasn't a "game winner" so really anyone could have done it. Only shot 50% for the game. Totally overrated.I'm just not seeing championship material here. I mean it's not like they're playing the Clippers.

Carmelo's so consistent his scoring average hasn't changed in over a week!

And until he wins one, I'm still right.

You all can keep bumping it after every win... but until it's for the 4th win in the Finals it doesn't mean anything.

And did anyone actually see the ending of that game?

LBJ forced a pass that was stolen (luckily Prince traveled), airballed a 3 point, missed 1 of 2 FTs, and then with time winding down instead of driving it to the rack against RIP HAMILTON (someone he has 2 inches and at least 50 pounds on) he takes a jumpshot... and misses.

I would think the Cavs won inspite of LBJ horrid play at the end due to the Pistons breakdown and the refs not calling any fouls for the Pistons.

It will depend on what they put around him and on "chance". He'll have to be with an organazation that does a lot of right things and the ball will have to bounce his way concerning injuries, ect.

LBJ forced a pass that was stolen (luckily Prince traveled), airballed a 3 point, missed 1 of 2 FTs, and then with time winding down instead of driving it to the rack against RIP HAMILTON (someone he has 2 inches and at least 50 pounds on) he takes a jumpshot... and misses.

I would think the Cavs won inspite of LBJ horrid play at the end due to the Pistons breakdown and the refs not calling any fouls for the Pistons.
So no one disputes that LBJ was horrible down the stretch?!

Yeah, I'm sure the Cavs are trying to trade him as we speak.

Never said that. When all is said and done he'll be the BEST player to NEVER win a championship.

The Cavs won in spite of James last night, James tried to hand the Pistons the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never said that. When all is said and done he'll be the BEST player to NEVER win a championship.
What makes you think he wont ever win a championship? The kid is 21 and already a top 3-5 player in the league. He gets his teammates involved. He crashes the boards. He has great vision. He doesnt have that kobme attitude. His one weakness last season was his outside jumper . . . that drastically improved for this season. He is explosive. He has great ball handling. What exactly is the weakness that makes you so sure he will never win a title in the next 10-15 years??? It's not like we have a situation where players dont want to be on his team - the guy is more like Magic/Big O than Jordan.

The Cavs won in spite of James last night, James tried to hand the Pistons the game.
James looked godawful down the stretch last nite.. just bad.couple really ugly airballs, a traveling call, couple turnovers, a foul. he looked really off last nite.

James looked godawful down the stretch last nite.. just bad.couple really ugly airballs, a traveling call, couple turnovers, a foul. he looked really off last nite.
yet he still finished 1 assist and 2 rebounds shy of another triple double. look, i realize he played poorly down hte stretch last night. But, if a "bad" playoff performance for 21 yr old lebron is 22, 8 and 9 with a win over the league's best team, i cant wait to see what he's doing at 25 or 26.

That's not a good argument for why he'll never win a championship - you realize that, right?
:confused: i never said that.

only posted here cause it was the active LBJ discussion.

i think he'll win a couple titles.. the guy is phenomenal. just pointing out that he yakked it up in the last few minutes last nite. they still won, he still had great overall numbers, but he was terrible down the stretch.

That's not a good argument for why he'll never win a championship - you realize that, right?
:confused: i never said that.

only posted here cause it was the active LBJ discussion.

i think he'll win a couple titles.. the guy is phenomenal. just pointing out that he yakked it up in the last few minutes last nite. they still won, he still had great overall numbers, but he was terrible down the stretch.
You also realize that you agreeing with "da guru," right?

Jordan hadn't started his rookie season when he was Lebron's age. He's 21 and will struggle once and awhile, but it's absolutely sick what he is doing at his age.Next season Lebron will be the same age as Jordan in his rookie season so let's compare their careers from here on out.

by the time their careers are finished, I think James will have won more titles than Kobe.
I'll take that bet. 4 titles is very, very, very tough to do.
what would you set the over/under on for LeBron championships? 2?
I'd go 2.5, maybe even 3. Lots of variables in terms of the team that's built around him obviously, but I cannot think of another non-post player that's as advanced as he is at 21. He could realistically be contending for a title within a couple years, and he's not that far off right now, even though I still think the Pistons squeak this one out.

by the time their careers are finished, I think James will have won more titles than Kobe.
Rings:Shaq - 3

Kobe - 0

If Lebron leads his team to a championship, I will be much more impressed than Kobe riding the coat tails of Tank O'Neal.

Same with Wade. If He teams with Shaq to get a ring in the next couple of years (seriously that is all that's left of Shaq), I don't see as anywhere near the individual accomplishment on Wade's resume as a Jordan type championship.

Now if Post-Shaq Kobe takes his team all the way, I will be give him his propers. The way he played in parts of the playoffs this year, he's not far away from making that happen.

Kobe/Lebron Championship needs to happen. It would be a series for the ages.

He could realistically be contending for a title within a couple years, and he's not that far off right now, even though I still think the Pistons squeak this one out.
it's amazing how quickly our perceptions of a team change. before the Washington series, the Wizards were picked to win by many "experts"then, going into the Detroit series (and understandably so, especially after the first game) the Cavs weren't given a chance.

now, the Pistons will need to "squeak this one out"

i say LeBron's starting to live up to the hype for sure.

what would you set the over/under on for LeBron championships? 2?
2 is a fair number. I don't think he'll win more than that...but I'd be very surprised if his career ended without a title.

Kobe - 0

If Lebron leads his team to a championship, I will be much more impressed than Kobe riding the coat tails of Tank O'Neal.
That wasn't the question though. However you slice it...Kobe has 3 rings and was a major, major player on those teams. There are only a handful of players in the history of the league that can say that.

Kobe - 0

That wasn't the question though. However you slice it...Kobe has 3 rings and was a major, major player on those teams. There are only a handful of players in the history of the league that can say that.
True that wasn't the question, and I won't argue with what you said.However I feel that 1 Lebron Championship as the unquestioned leader on his team, is > Multiple Kobe or potentially Wade tag along with Shaq championships.

Kobe - 0

True that wasn't the question, and I won't argue with what you said.However I feel that 1 Lebron Championship as the unquestioned leader on his team, is > Multiple Kobe or potentially Wade tag along with Shaq championships.
The Shaq playing with Wade isnt the same Shaq that played with Kobe. The Lakers Shaq was the most dominating player on the planet and could not be stopped. This Shaq is still a great player, but is not as complete or as dominant as the Laker Shaq. Wade makes the Heat go, Shaq made the Lakers go.IMO Kobe does not even reach another NBA finals in his career.

When all is said and done he'll be the BEST player to NEVER win a championship.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: How you could possibly be making this comment right now is beyond me.
Exactly. The truth is that none of us know for sure. There have surely been some great players to never win a title. However, nothing LBJ has ever done has shown that he doesn't have "it." If there was one player that should win a title during his career, it would be him. We aren't mocking your thoughts because we're sure you're wrong. We're mocking your thoughts because we're sure that you're completely talking out of your ### right now.

Robert Horry will finish with more titles than Kobe and LeBron combined.

:D

LeBron is pretty special, though, no doubt about that. That team in Cleveland just isn't very talented but he carries them. It's incredible in a lot of ways and very reminiscent of what Jordan was doing in his early playoff days with the Bulls. I see more well-rounded skills from LeBron than Jordan had at a similar age, but I don't quite see that killer instinct in LeBron that Jordan had. That's not a knock on LeBron, he's more than capable of taking over a game. But even in his earliest days, Jordan's will to win was superior than nearly everybody he played against.

I'd say LeBron wins at least one title in his career with 2 possible depending on the moves the Cavs make going forward. But keep in mind it's pretty damn difficult just to win 1, much less more than 1 so saying LeBron may not win 2 or more shouldn't be viewed as a slight. Plenty of Hall of Famers never won 1.

Kobe - 0

Same with Wade. If He teams with Shaq to get a ring in the next couple of years (seriously that is all that's left of Shaq), I don't see as anywhere near the individual accomplishment on Wade's resume as a Jordan type championship.

Now if Post-Shaq Kobe takes his team all the way, I will be give him his propers. The way he played in parts of the playoffs this year, he's not far away from making that happen.

Kobe/Lebron Championship needs to happen. It would be a series for the ages.
Scottie Pippen in his prime was better than Shaq right now. Don't forget that MJ never won without Pippen or without Jackson. Pippen nearly always guarded the other teams' best player too. Funny how quick we are to forget about all that.

Kobe - 0

Wade is every bit the "major player" on his team right now as MJ was. Shaq has as big of a role as Pippen did. If you're arguing this, then I think you're way underrating Pippen.

Query> Take the past three Lakers championship teams, and replace Kobe with a 21 y.o. Lebron James. Do they still win three? Could Payton-James-Malone-O'Neal beat the Pistons?

Discuss.

Scottie Pippen in his prime was better than Shaq right now. Don't forget that MJ never won without Pippen or without Jackson. Pippen nearly always guarded the other teams' best player too. Funny how quick we are to forget about all that.
Jordan:1985-NBA-All-NBA (2nd)

1985-NBA-All-Rookie

1987-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1988-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1988-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1989-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1989-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1990-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1990-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1991-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1991-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1992-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1992-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1993-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1993-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1996-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1996-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1997-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1997-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

1998-NBA-All-Defense (1st)

1998-NBA-All-NBA (1st)

guy held his own on defense.. and i recall him locking up the other teams best player when it mattered most on more than one occasion.

Query> Take the past three Lakers championship teams, and replace Kobe with a 21 y.o. Lebron James. Do they still win three? Could Payton-James-Malone-O'Neal beat the Pistons?

Discuss.
Yes, they win 3 IMO.That team would be more cohesive. I say they could possibly have beaten the Pistons.

LOL @ the Kobe hate.
Until this year, I never saw anything that would lead me to believe Kobe could lead a team.That changed in the Phoenix series, and I readily admit he played like a champion for at least most of the series.

But I think that's the first time he's done so.

LOL @ the Kobe hate.
Until this year, I never saw anything that would lead me to believe Kobe could lead a team.That changed in the Phoenix series, and I readily admit he played like a champion for at least most of the series.

But I think that's the first time he's done so.
When has Shaq "lead" a team. They're both great, great weapons. This "leadership" thing gets a little over-hyped imo. These aren't a bunch of 18-19 year olds depending on "senior leadership". Teams win because they have the pieces and lose because they don't for the most part at that level.

I don't hate Kobe. I just think he won those titles b/c of Shaq.
and Robert Horry, and Derrick Fisher, ect. Same way Jordan won because of Scottie Pippen, and John Paxson, ect. Same way Magic won because of Kareem and Worthy, ect. Hell, teams with just great starting fives don't win. It almost always takes a solid atleast 7 man rotation. Kobe did not have more help in those title runs than most of the other "great" players who won a title. He happened to get most of that help from one guy but virtually every title team has had a hell of a lot more than one superstar.

Lebron is better at his age than Jordan or Kobe were. The Eastern Conference also is going to give him a much easier path to the finals than Kobe has. Obviously, he'll need to get some more talent around him, but I imagine free agents are all going to want to come play with Lebron. I don't think many players out there want to play with Kobe.

(Jordan) held his own on defense.. and i recall him locking up the other teams best player when it mattered most on more than one occasion.
They were both amazing defenders. Jordan was probably just as good as Pippen at defending players of the same size, but Pippen was more versatile. I think that's all Assani is saying.Pippen was incredibly important to those Bulls, and he came a hell of a lot closer to winning a title without Jordan (game 7 vs. Lakers in 2000) than Jordan did without him (never won a playoff series). He did all the little things and was a player who could dominate a game without scoring a ton -- he's just not a guy you want taking the last shot and he wasn't as mentally tough as Jordan.

There was a pretty good Pippen article in Sports Illustrated in 1999 talking about how Pippen was essentially the "mom" leader of the Bulls teams, after the "dad" Jordan screamed at his teammates Pippen would be the one to pick them up and keep their confidence high. As good as Jordan was -- unquestionably one of the greatest players ever -- I don't know that Jordan wins any titles without Pippen. Certainly not 6.

(Jordan) held his own on defense.. and i recall him locking up the other teams best player when it mattered most on more than one occasion.
They were both amazing defenders. Jordan was probably just as good as Pippen at defending players of the same size, but Pippen was more versatile. I think that's all Assani is saying.Pippen was incredibly important to those Bulls, and he came a hell of a lot closer to winning a title without Jordan (game 7 vs. Lakers in 2000) than Jordan did without him (never won a playoff series). He did all the little things and was a player who could dominate a game without scoring a ton -- he's just not a guy you want taking the last shot and he wasn't as mentally tough as Jordan.

There was a pretty good Pippen article in Sports Illustrated in 1999 talking about how Pippen was essentially the "mom" leader of the Bulls teams, after the "dad" Jordan screamed at his teammates Pippen would be the one to pick them up and keep their confidence high. As good as Jordan was -- unquestionably one of the greatest players ever -- I don't know that Jordan wins any titles without Pippen. Certainly not 6.
I'll go one farther and say that virtually all of those teams wouldn't have won if their 3rd or even 4th best player went down (some may not have won if any player in the rotation went down). It takes a hell of a lot more than a great player to win a title.

Users who are viewing this thread