Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
No. 16

Lebron James will never win a championship...

game 5 tonight.

be crazy if they could steal one in Detroit.

I'll go one farther and say that virtually all of those teams wouldn't have won if their 3rd or even 4th best player went down (some may not have won if any player in the rotation went down). It takes a hell of a lot more than a great player to win a title.

Definitely a good point. I think the 2002 Lakers, since they were more top-heavy by the end of their run (only Shaqobe averaged more than 12/game), may have been able to, but that's just speculation and they're the only recent champ I can think of that applies.

I also found excerpts from that article that I was talking about in my previous post.

LINK

Former Bulls coach Phil Jackson, in an interview with Sports Illustrated in 1999 stated: “On the Bulls, Scottie was probably the player most liked by others. He mingled. He brought out the best in players and communicated the best. Leadership, real leadership is one of his strengths.

“Everybody says Michael [Jordan] was a great leader. He led by example, by rebuke, by harsh words. Scottie’s leadership was equally dominant, but [his was] a leadership of patting on the back, of support.”

I'll go one farther and say that virtually all of those teams wouldn't have won if their 3rd or even 4th best player went down (some may not have won if any player in the rotation went down).  It takes a hell of a lot more than a great player to win a title.

Definitely a good point. I think the 2002 Lakers, since they were more top-heavy by the end of their run (only Shaqobe averaged more than 12/game), may have been able to, but that's just speculation and they're the only recent champ I can think of that applies.

I also found excerpts from that article that I was talking about in my previous post.

LINK

Former Bulls coach Phil Jackson, in an interview with Sports Illustrated in 1999 stated: “On the Bulls, Scottie was probably the player most liked by others. He mingled. He brought out the best in players and communicated the best. Leadership, real leadership is one of his strengths.

“Everybody says Michael [Jordan] was a great leader. He led by example, by rebuke, by harsh words. Scottie’s leadership was equally dominant, but [his was] a leadership of patting on the back, of support.”

People are always going to hate on Pippen for sitting out the end of that game. Fair or unfair I think that's the reality of where most the Pippen hating comes from.

People are always going to hate on Pippen for sitting out the end of that game. Fair or unfair I think that's the reality of where most the Pippen hating comes from.

I thought his choice to go to the Rockets in free agency was sort of pathetic after his complaints about being overshadowed by Jordan. If he wanted to prove his talent he should have gone somewhere where he was the big star.

I totally agree. I feel like most people who hate him for that didn't even remember it at the time -- it seems like that event has taken on more significance as the years went on instead of less. It's a validation of Pippen as not being a great player.

Meanwhile, any of Jordan's many faults is completely glossed over since he was the reason so many people were fans of basketball at the time (I read here that during the early 1990s 70% of NBA watchers were Bulls fans).

By the way, despite the link, I'm not a Jordan hater nor a conspiracy believer. But it's an interesting read nonetheless. :thumbup::tinfoilhat::bag:

If we're keeping track: Thats a game winning assist and a game saving block.

Well I'd say that this thread is sure to get some action tonight. I'll maintain the same view I've always had: I am not certain one way or the other whether or not Lebron will win a title ever. But he is far ahead of the pace of any other person at his age. Therefore, to suggest that theres anything about him that shows he won't win one ever is simply dumb.

If(and I realize that this is an absolute huge 'if') the Cavs went on to make a remarkable run and won it all this year, this would probably be the most bumped thread in FBGs history. That'd be entertaining for sure.

:unsure:

-The Cavs are now favorites to win this series. I mean, even if you think that the Pistons are 2:1 favorites to win each of the last two, then that still means you think the Cavs are favorites to win the series.

-And if that happens, the Cavs will now be in the final 4 with both SA and Detroit(the preseason and pre-playoff favorites) possibly eliminated.

has whoever started this thread backpedaled yet or has he still yet to see a single cavs playoff game?

If we're keeping track: Thats a game winning assist and a game saving block.

Well I'd say that this thread is sure to get some action tonight. I'll maintain the same view I've always had: I am not certain one way or the other whether or not Lebron will win a title ever. But he is far ahead of the pace of any other person at his age. Therefore, to suggest that theres anything about him that shows he won't win one ever is simply dumb.

:goodposting:

Almost never thought there would be a player like Jordan again. LJ is far and away better than MJ was at his age.

The thread title should be changed or this thread should be locked. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

has whoever started this thread backpedaled yet or has he still yet to see a single cavs playoff game?

He claims he's still right because Lebron hasn't won a title yet.

:lmao:

That was a great pass to Gooden at the end of the game. What vision.

He'd better make that pass, it was a called play and he was wide open.

I certainly wouldn't call it a 'great' pass. But you do like to see your superstar willing to make a pass to an open teamate in the clutch instead of always relying upon himself.

I'm not a Cavs fan by any means. And I refuse to jump on the bandwagon....but damn its hard to not like Lebron.

A great player would have forced a difficult shot. Getting an easy shot for a teammate is the cowards way out.

eg. Kobe, game 6

I certainly wouldn't call it a 'great' pass. But you do like to see your superstar willing to make a pass to an open teamate in the clutch instead of always relying upon himself.

I'm not a Cavs fan by any means. And I refuse to jump on the bandwagon....but damn its hard to not like Lebron.

Great pass considering the game and series situation.

You don't have to flip it behind your back between three guys to make it a great look.

The guy always seems to be so humble and focused. I'm simply in awe of someone his age with this level of talent and the attitude to go with it. I think we're looking at the rebirth of the popularity of the NBA, boys. :thumbup:

• Like 1

The guy always seems to be so humble and focused. I'm simply in awe of someone his age with this level of talent and the attitude to go with it. I think we're looking at the rebirth of the popularity of the NBA, boys. :thumbup:

Just a heads up: Don't forget that a few years ago Kobe Bryant was the "best player in the world"(quote is from Shaq himself), had a squeaky clean image, and had 3 championship rings.

The guy always seems to be so humble and focused.  I'm simply in awe of someone his age with this level of talent and the attitude to go with it.  I think we're looking at the rebirth of the popularity of the NBA, boys. :thumbup:

Just a heads up: Don't forget that a few years ago Kobe Bryant was the "best player in the world"(quote is from Shaq himself), had a squeaky clean image, and had 3 championship rings.

Plus like Kobe, LeBron got busted for his hummer thing :unsure:

Kobe was always a ####head. LeBron's not.

That will make all the difference.

You don't know of these people. You don't know Shaq. You don't know Kobe. You don't know this kid. You know their images. That's it. And images change. And worrying about the images of these guys is dumb.

The guy always seems to be so humble and focused.  I'm simply in awe of someone his age with this level of talent and the attitude to go with it.  I think we're looking at the rebirth of the popularity of the NBA, boys. :thumbup:

Kobe has always been fake and arrogant since before he was even drafted.

You don't know of these people. You don't know Shaq. You don't know Kobe. You don't know this kid. You know their images. That's it. And images change. And worrying about the images of these guys is dumb.

You may not know them. I know them both.

Don't know LeBron, but from what I've been told, he's a great guy.

Do you know him personally? If not, its a comment fitting of some trashy gossip rag and that's about it.

Do you know him personally? If not, its a comment fitting of some trashy gossip rag and that's about it.

You still not watching the Cavs?

Well then why don't you call Kobe a ####head to his face instead of lobbing dirtballs behind his back like this.

You still not watching the Cavs?

No. Didn't even watch tonite's game. The NBA sucks. I'm convinced LeBron will just leave for another club. Heck I think its a great possibility the Cavs as a franchise goes elsewhere. This city can't support 3 teams.

I'll gladly take a title if the Cavs somehow win one for the city, but that's about it.

Well then why don't you call Kobe a ####head to his face instead of lobbing dirtballs behind his back like this.

I haven't seen him in two years. But I'm sure that he knows what me, Random Guy A, thinks of him--the same thing that anyone else who has ever had to interact with him thinks.

He's a ####.

I'm convinced LeBron will just leave for another club. Heck I think its a great possibility the Cavs as a franchise goes elsewhere. This city can't support 3 teams.

Worrying about something like this right now is beyond ridiculous.

I haven't seen him in two years. But I'm sure that he knows what me, Random Guy A, thinks of him--the same thing that anyone else who has ever had to interact with him thinks.

He's a ####.

I still its pretty crappy to talk about anyone behind his back like you are in public. If he committed murder I would feel the same way. I hate personal attacks. Grow up. Edited by BGP

I'm convinced LeBron will just leave for another club. Heck I think its a great possibility the Cavs as a franchise goes elsewhere. This city can't support 3 teams.

I'm not worried. I hardly thought about the Cavs at all today. I wouldn't have even known they won if it wasn't plastered all over this board.

His image is contrived. He is the son of a former NBA star. He grew up in Italyand came back to the USA to play High School ball for the sole purpose of being drafted into the NBA. He claims he is from "philly" but he played for lower marion on the main line - one of the most affluent areas on the east coast. He refused to play for the Hornets and only wanted to play for the Lakers forcing a trade for Vlade Divac. His interviews have always reeked of fakness. There is nothing original about him from his shot, to his dunks and lay-ups, and even the way he speaks - all virtual Jordan carbon copies . . . attempting to emulate the original, but not quite up to par. While he may or may not have raped that girl he showed his true colors by A) selling out Shaq to the cops and B) whining that he onlt committed adultry, only to immediatly buy his wife a $4M 8carat purple diamond ring with a gold band (#8 purple and gold on purpose, even in a gift he has to be about himself). He refuses to take shots to prove a point. He forced Shaq out of LA. He went 0-3 in the second half of Game 7 of a series in which they had a 3-1 lead. I dont have to know him personally, #### him.

I'm convinced LeBron will just leave for another club.  Heck I think its a great possibility the Cavs as a franchise goes elsewhere.  This city can't support 3 teams.

I'm not worried. I hardly thought about the Cavs at all today. I wouldn't have even known they won if it wasn't plastered all over this board.

Too bad. Probably the best thing to happen to your city in a decade.

Sports-wise, Lebron is the best thing for your city since Jim Brown.

I'm convinced LeBron will just leave for another club.  Heck I think its a great possibility the Cavs as a franchise goes elsewhere.  This city can't support 3 teams.

:towelwave:

I thought it was pretty cool when Cleveland had those really good baseball teams quite a few years in a row about 10 years ago. They were bad for so long and then really great to watch there for a while.

Hmm. In the last decade. 1996-2006. Best things to happen:

1. Getting the Browns back in 1999.

2. The incredible playoff run for the Indians in 1997. Upsetting the Yankees in dramatic fashion. Rivera blows it!

I still don't see a reason for the Cavs to want to stay in Cleveland. The city is dying. By the time James is 38-40, the city of Akron, Ohio will be bigger than Cleveland. its stupid to have three teams here.

Ok, someone's running around northeast ohio with a :bag: over their head. Lebron/Cavs are the talk of the town. Granted most are a shell shocked at the Cavs winning the past 2 games (3 after tonight) but they're definitely getting more play on tv/radio than the Indians/Browns.

I'll be honest, before the series, I thought the Cavs would win 1, maybe 2 games. Heck, I thought it would be good for Lebron & Co. to get a good taste of what playoff basketball was about. Needless to say, I'm shell shocked at how these guys are playing.

I've watched 80% of their games this year, and they've NEVER come close to playing the type of defense that they're playing now. And to do this w/out Larry Hughes is just mind boggling. From here on out, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the run.

Edited by rgabbard

Hmm. Ima troll.

fixed

Ok, someone's running around northeast ohio with a :bag: over their head. Lebron/Cavs are the talk of the town. Granted most are a shell shocked at the Cavs winning the past 2 games (3 after tonight) but they're definitely getting more play on tv/radio than the Indians/Browns.

I'll be honest, before the series, I thought the Cavs would win 1, maybe 2 games. Heck, I thought it would be good for Lebron & Co. to get a good taste of what playoff basketball was about. Needless to say, I'm shell shocked at how these guys are playing.

I've watched 80% of their games this year, and they've NEVER come close to playing the type of defense that they're playing now. And to do this w/out Larry Hughes is just mind boggling. From here on out, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the run.

i was happy just to win one series, and honestly did not think they had much of a chance against the pistons. was just hoping for a good learning experience. we have not only matched the pistons at their grind it out game, but are playing it better atm.

Hmm. Ima troll.

fixed

:rolleyes:

2. The incredible playoff run for the Indians in 1997. Upsetting the Yankees in dramatic fashion. Rivera blows it!

I still don't see a reason for the Cavs to want to stay in Cleveland. The city is dying. By the time James is 38-40, the city of Akron, Ohio will be bigger than Cleveland. its stupid to have three teams here.

There are protests outside of Quicken tonight, looks like they might burn the place down. They want the Cavs gone NOW.

Cleveland hates Lebron James. They just don't have enough time for him. :thumbdown:

There are protests outside of Quicken tonight, looks like they might burn the place down. They want the Cavs gone NOW.

Cleveland hates Lebron James. They just don't have enough time for him. :thumbdown:

There is just SO MUCH going on in Ohio. :thumbup: