What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

Loomba

Footballguy
The beer thread gave me the idea for this thread. Nothing wrong with beer, but I generally find myself reaching for a corkscrew more often than a brewski. No rules for this thread. I am just hoping people will share their thoughts and reviews to help broaden everyone's knowledge and appreciation. Snobs and neophytes welcome! Here goes:

Last night:

Dinner with the missus at a Keg restaurant (a steakhouse) in Calgary. I was leaning towards something a little more full bodied to go with the meal but when the waitress said they had the 2004 Quail's Gate Limited Reserve Pinot Noir in stock, I had to give it a try since they have been sold out the other times I have asked for it. Cdn $34.95 for the bottle, which likely translates to about Cdn. $20 or less in a wine store.

It's a nice wine. Burnt cherry nose with a slightly spicy, smouldering finish. Soft feel on the palate. Nice colour for a Pinot, but not quite as rich as other QG Pinot offerings. I am not much of a rater, but would give this one a high 80's ranking. Maybe an 88.

Anyone familiar with wines from the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada will have heard about Quail's Gate or seen their wines in stores up here. QG is becoming a consistent producer of excellent Pinots. I think their 2003 Pinot was perhaps the best they have produced (I might be confused with the 2002 here...) -- it was 90+ points in my book. QG is another great option for Pinot lovers looking for something outside of Sonoma or Burgundy -- especially those of us that discovered Pinot before that silly little movie increased prices for this varietal by about 50%.

cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, a post for the civilized fantasy football meathead. Thank goodness.

For the record, I had a $2 bottle of wine last night that my fiance picked up from Trader Joe's. It tasted like it was aged in someone's crack.

Edited to add: This thread gets 10 replies tops.

Finally, a post for the civilized fantasy football meathead. Thank goodness.

For the record, I had a $2 bottle of wine last night that my fiance picked up from Trader Joe's. It tasted like it was aged in someone's crack.

No faith?

I had Coppola's 2004 silver label pinot. Trader Joe had it marked down...I really liked it.

Just got my cakebread wine of the month club bottles yesterday.

2002 benchland Cabernet - :thumbup:
Haven't had the pleasure of trying anything from Cakebread, but I hear very good things. Their wines are a bit more pricey, but I hear worth every penny. Let us know how the Cab rates when you pull the cork.

Last night I had a wine called 'pescaia' - it's a blended red produced on a separate label by facelli, one of the best wineries in the area. Not big, tannic and chewy like the wine I typically go for, but very fruit forward and plesant with a nice touch of oak.

Not many wines I've had can compete with this in the $10 price range. I'll have some recommendations later. :thumbup:
Sounds like a winner for $10. Where's Facelli located? Haven't heard of that one.

2002 benchland Cabernet  -    :thumbup:
Haven't had the pleasure of trying anything from Cakebread, but I hear very good things. Their wines are a bit more pricey, but I hear worth every penny. Let us know how the Cab rates when you pull the cork.
I'm guessing if he's a wine club member, he's a pretty big fan. I was disappointed when we visited. The only thing that left me overly-impressed was their Chard. But you can also run into a bad bottle or vintage or something, even at better wineries, so it could be a complete anomaly. I know they have an outstanding reputation.

I haven't had much wine lately with a pregnant wife, but I finished my taxes...and a bottle of Cosentino's TheZin... the night before last.

A shiraz from the Barossa Valley, in South Australia. Nice. Called Cimicky. 2004. Eartly and full bodied.

Tonight, going to open a 2002 Rioja. Called Marques de Caceres.
Nice. It sounds like you enjoy bigger reds. I am still trying to develop a taste for Rioja, but the few I have tried have been a bit "porty" to me. My wife likes them though, so methinks I'll have a some opportunities to experiment.

2002 benchland Cabernet   -    :thumbup:
I'm guessing if he's a wine club member, he's a pretty big fan. I was disappointed when we visited. The only thing that left me overly-impressed was their Chard. But you can also run into a bad bottle or vintage or something, even at better wineries, so it could be a complete anomaly. I know they have an outstanding reputation.

I haven't had much wine lately with a pregnant wife, but I finished my taxes...and a bottle of Cosentino's TheZin... the night before last.
Congrats on the new addition (and the taxes)! We get to the end of April in Canada to file ours, so this long weekend, guess who's is digging through receipts etc.? I think a nice little Italian red might ease the process.

Congrats on the new addition (and the taxes)! We get to the end of April in Canada to file ours, so this long weekend, guess who's is digging through receipts etc.? I think a nice little Italian red might ease the process.
No congrats necessary. Just break a condom and you can have one, too_Oh, and thanks.

Finally, a post for the civilized fantasy football meathead.  Thank goodness.

For the record, I had a $2 bottle of wine last night that my fiance picked up from Trader Joe's.  It tasted like it was aged in someone's crack.

No faith?
I stand corrected!

I was not wowed with Cakebread's wine either when we visited their winery last year. Their tasting class, however, was a lot of fun and informative for beginner or long time connisseur (sp?) alike. Highly recommend it to anyone taking a trip to Napa.

For the most part I prefer the old world wines. Lately I am finding the Shiraz and big Cab's waaay over oaked.

I Love Tuscany......those folks know how to make wine.

My favourite is Brunello di Montalcino, try it and thank me later.

Banfi is a decent producer.

The Benchland Select is nice (better than the Three Sisters) and every once in awhile the Rubiyat is decent (for the $$$) but overall Cakebread is BRUTALLY overpriced and the quality has been fading since their heyday in the late '80's/early '90's...Those Clubs are a scam as well... :thumbdown:

For the most part I prefer the old world wines. Lately I am finding the Shiraz and big Cab's waaay over oaked.

At $57+ they should be. It is a great wine, though. I'm a big fan of the San Fabiano Calcinaia Chianti Classico.

2004 Sterling Vineyards Shiraz. I really like the Sterling reds good stuff :thumbup:
A good friend of mine gave me a 1983 Sterling Cab Sauv. I am afraid to open it and waste it on myself! After his baby is born this summer, I will invite them over to pull the cork and share.

Last night: St. Francis Chardonnay. It was pretty good.
The won't ship to az :hot: That being said I had the St Supery Elu meritage - Very nice and 36 (1/2) at a restaurant in Pasadena

Try Col D'Orcia.

For the most part I prefer the old world wines.  Lately I am finding the Shiraz and big Cab's waaay over oaked. 

At $57+ they should be. It is a great wine, though. I'm a big fan of the San Fabiano Calcinaia Chianti Classico.
Yeah, I know. Brunello is not cheap.I haven't had the specific Chianti you are discussing. I also enjoy Chianti as a great value wine. Had a 2000 Monsanto recently it was very solid.

2002 benchland Cabernet  -    :thumbup:
The Benchland Select is nice (better than the Three Sisters) and every once in awhile the Rubiyat is decent (for the $$$) but overall Cakebread is BRUTALLY overpriced and the quality has been fading since their heyday in the late '80's/early '90's...Those Clubs are a scam as well... :thumbdown:
Was a gift.

Was a gift.
Somebody with more money than wine-sense likes you. :P Cool! :thumbup:

2004 Sterling Vineyards Shiraz.  I really like the Sterling reds good stuff :thumbup:
A good friend of mine gave me a 1983 Sterling Cab Sauv. I am afraid to open it and waste it on myself! After his baby is born this summer, I will invite them over to pull the cork and share.
You should open that asap. Probably close to going down hill if you wait too much longer.

For the most part I prefer the old world wines.  Lately I am finding the Shiraz and big Cab's waaay over oaked. 

Try Col D'Orcia.
Thanks...will look for it.I have three Brunello's in the Wine fridge now.

Saving a 1997 Castelion del Bosco for a special occasion in about another 10-12 years.

In the last couple of years, I've had the pleasure of getting really into some of the best wines being made in California. I drink rarely, so I don't mind paying a premium for really, really good wine. While it's very true that you can get good wines at $10-$25 a bottle, you can also get some swill in that price range. A very good friend of our family has been a wine drinker for 30 years, and he's been giving us tips for the last 6-8 months on what to buy/store. My absolute favs so far....

1) Syrah Category - Shafer's "Relentless" is the best Syrah I've ever had, bar none. The '01 and 02 vintages were exceptional, and '03 is nearly as good. It's overpriced at restaurants, but your wine dealer/store should be able to get you bottles if you ask. $55-70 a bottle depending on vintage, and a truly exceptional wine.

2) Cab - Again, Shafer is among the best I've had. There "standard" Cabs are awesome, and their Hillside Select is as good as anything Opus One or Silver Oak has ever put out. Also, for those in California, try and find either Sherwin Family or Barnett's Rattlesnake Hill Cabs. Exceptional wines.

3) Whites - I like Caymus' Conudrum for an appetizer, and Barnett has some really good Chardonay.

4) Blend - Shafer makes a blend of Sangiovese and Cab they call firebreak. Also very, very good.

These are all pricey wines, but in my opinion, when you drink them as rarely as we do, they are decent values. Is an $80 bottle of wine 4 times better than your average $20 bottle? No. But there's a pretty big difference in some of them, and the one's I've mentioned above will not disappoint.

Enjoy....

In the last couple of years, I've had the pleasure of getting really into some of the best wines being made in California. I drink rarely, so I don't mind paying a premium for really, really good wine. While it's very true that you can get good wines at $10-$25 a bottle, you can also get some swill in that price range. A very good friend of our family has been a wine drinker for 30 years, and he's been giving us tips for the last 6-8 months on what to buy/store. My absolute favs so far....

1) Syrah Category - Shafer's "Relentless" is the best Syrah I've ever had, bar none. The '01 and 02 vintages were exceptional, and '03 is nearly as good. It's overpriced at restaurants, but your wine dealer/store should be able to get you bottles if you ask. $55-70 a bottle depending on vintage, and a truly exceptional wine.

2) Cab - Again, Shafer is among the best I've had. There "standard" Cabs are awesome, and their Hillside Select is as good as anything Opus One or Silver Oak has ever put out. Also, for those in California, try and find either Sherwin Family or Barnett's Rattlesnake Hill Cabs. Exceptional wines.

3) Whites - I like Caymus' Conudrum for an appetizer, and Barnett has some really good Chardonay.

4) Blend - Shafer makes a blend of Sangiovese and Cab they call firebreak. Also very, very good.

These are all pricey wines, but in my opinion, when you drink them as rarely as we do, they are decent values. Is an $80 bottle of wine 4 times better than your average $20 bottle? No. But there's a pretty big difference in some of them, and the one's I've mentioned above will not disappoint.

Enjoy....
Shafer stock down? :shock:

Enjoy....
:lmao: No. Try some of their wine, and you'll be a walking commercial, too. Shafer is today what Silver Oak was 10 years ago, only they make 4-5 different kinds of wine, and it's all top notch.

Enjoy....
:lmao: No. Try some of their wine, and you'll be a walking commercial, too. Shafer is today what Silver Oak was 10 years ago, only they make 4-5 different kinds of wine, and it's all top notch.
Actually I've been drinking Shafer for years. The Red Shoulder Ranch Chard is one of the few Chards I enjoy consistently. The Firebreak Sangio-blend is $$$ and their Cabs are winners too...I just couldn't resist the :pokey:

2004 Sterling Vineyards Shiraz. I really like the Sterling reds good stuff :thumbup:
Their Pinot Noir is also really good and great value at $10-14. A little thin but great fruit and nicely balanced.Also try the Fess Parker Pinot '02-'03 also very good at about $18

If you're looking for a Zinfadel try Montevina -Deaver Vineyard. Really excellent, full bodied, spicy witha nice finish.

If whites are your thing try St Supery Sauvignon Blanc. your girlefriend will love it.

Enjoy....
Actually I've been drinking Shafer for years. The Red Shoulder Ranch Chard is one of the few Chards I enjoy consistently. The Firebreak Sangio-blend is $$$ and their Cabs are winners too...I just couldn't resist the :pokey:
:thumbup: Have you had the Relentless? Spectacular Syrah. Also, have you ever visited? If not, try to and get a couple of bottles of their port. I wasn't a port fan until I visited and bought a couple of bottles. They only sell it to customers who visit the vineyard, and it's pure gold. They not only make the wine from their top shelf Cab grapes, they make the brandy to fortify their port from their top notch Cab grapes. The winemaker said the vineyard owner nearly fired him when he told him his plan was to make a select port from their Cab grapes, until he tasted some. Can't wait to head back out there.....

2004 Sterling Vineyards Shiraz.  I really like the Sterling reds good stuff :thumbup:
You should open that asap. Probably close to going down hill if you wait too much longer.
I agree. I just got the bottle last fall, so it's already waited 22+ years. A few more months probably won't kill it. It may already be past its prime.

Users who are viewing this thread