What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

Let's talk Gewürztraminers. I'm not a big white wine guy. But I find that I'm drawn to Pinot Grigios and Gewürztraminers. The problem shopping for Gewürztraminers is that the selections around here suck. I find buttloads of Chardonnays, a good selection of Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios and a decent selection of Reislings. But I never find more than one or two Gewürztraminers. Given the barren local landscape, I'd be willing to go online and order a case of something that's considered to be top notch. Anyone here a Gewürztraminer fan with some suggestions?
i don't drink a lot of Gewurztaminer, but this is pretty tasty.

Gunlach Bundschu Gewurtzaminer
Had this when we visited Gundlach last year, and I've bought another bottle at home in the past few months. Really like it.

Friend of mine just posted this on FB (he's there right now): https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1044796_10151497455337596_2038476961_n.jpg

Just kill me now
One of my friends just went to the Shafer Vineyard.
I'm getting barraged by Napa pics on a workday.

Maybe I should work
I hear you.

I have to go talk at a bachelorette party who wants to do a wine tasting paired with six small plates.

And they want to pay me.

These Fridays are tough!

Friend of mine just posted this on FB (he's there right now): https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1044796_10151497455337596_2038476961_n.jpg

Just kill me now
One of my friends just went to the Shafer Vineyard.
I'm getting barraged by Napa pics on a workday.

Maybe I should work
I hear you.

I have to go talk at a bachelorette party who wants to do a wine tasting paired with six small plates.

And they want to pay me.

These Fridays are tough!
:middlefinger:

:lmao:

It is amazing how similar our palates/tastes are Jules.

Did you try that Pinot yet?
Not yet but what I did have last night was a McNab Ridge Petite Sirah from Mendocino with some Venison and that was a damn fine pairing. I had never had anything from this winery and wonder if anyone on here has ever tried these wines? I understand that they have a Family Reserve line that is very good and they make a Port using the five traditional grapes.

Anyone?

Not yet but what I did have last night was a McNab Ridge Petite Sirah from Mendocino with some Venison and that was a damn fine pairing. I had never had anything from this winery and wonder if anyone on here has ever tried these wines? I understand that they have a Family Reserve line that is very good and they make a Port using the five traditional grapes.

Anyone?
I had the (I think it was 05) McNab PS a few years back and thought it was pretty much a fruit bomb which is not really my thing. For under $20, though, I thought it was pretty good value. Have not had their Family Reserve.

Anyone?
I had the (I think it was 05) McNab PS a few years back and thought it was pretty much a fruit bomb which is not really my thing. For under $20, though, I thought it was pretty good value. Have not had their Family Reserve.
This one was hearty and densely layered. Berry, Vanilla, Spice, and some Floral.

I am always interested in a Port from California using traditional varietals

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Portland, Oregon for the week so naturally I had my fill of Pinot Noir my favorite was the 2007 Capitello Pinot. It was really spicy and was delicious paired with my meal. The bottle went pretty quick :thumbup:

Anyone?
This one was hearty and densely layered. Berry, Vanilla, Spice, and some Floral.

Ficklin Vineyards uses Touriga and Tinta Maderia for their Tawny Port. it's delicious. i'll be in the Central Valley next week and am bringing some of this home.

What do you guys know about Albarinos?
Rias Baixas is a great DO in Spain. The albarino comes through with good minerality and solid acidity. Frequently they spend some time in oak...just enough to balance the acidity. You can get a good bottle for around $20.

Anyone?

Ficklin Vineyards uses Touriga and Tinta Maderia for their Tawny Port. it's delicious. i'll be in the Central Valley next week and am bringing some of this home.
try praeger as well

Anyone?

try praeger as well
yep. they've got good stuff too.

Anyone?

Tinta Madeira in their Port? The red grape of Madeira?

Anyone?

Tinta Madeira in their Port? The red grape of Madeira?
yeah, as it was explained to me the last time i visited their TR. i don't think it's one of the four major grapes used in Maderia production...maybe some kind of hybrid?

The blood of Christ.

I was as shocked as you when I found the savior sleeping in a Manhattan alleyway on top of two planks from a pallet. I figured he'd fallen asleep before finishing the message, so I found some rusty nails, mounted his hands and feet to the wood, and filled a dixie cup with the blood.

It's not bad. Definitely not 11 B.C.E. quality, but the 2013 vintage is surprisingly rich and high in heroin content.

Mr. Coffee said:
The blood of Christ.

I was as shocked as you when I found the savior sleeping in a Manhattan alleyway on top of two planks from a pallet. I figured he'd fallen asleep before finishing the message, so I found some rusty nails, mounted his hands and feet to the wood, and filled a dixie cup with the blood.

It's not bad. Definitely not 11 B.C.E. quality, but the 2013 vintage is surprisingly rich and high in heroin content.
OK

Mr. Coffee said:
The blood of Christ.

This have a purpose?

To me, Gewurtz tastes like if you mulled some holiday spices in a Riesling.
If you're saying Gewurtraminer kicks Reisling's ###, I agree.
It's just different. Prefer Riesling though
It's spicy versus sweet. I prefer spicy.
Actually Christo, the majority of the Riesling made in the world is dry.
You learn something new every day. Every Riesling I've had tasted like grape juice to me.
I don't like sweet Riesling. You should check out some dry ones.

Chateau St. Michele is decent, cheap, and it's everywhere. They even make one called "dry riesling" which is really dry (too dry for me) but the regular one is nice.
I tried a bottle of the Chateau St. Michelle Riesling (not the dry one you're talking about) and it still tasted sweet to me. Maybe it's just that I need to re-calibrate my expectations about what a sweet versus dry white is.

Christo said:
You learn something new every day. Every Riesling I've had tasted like grape juice to me.

Chateau St. Michele is decent, cheap, and it's everywhere. They even make one called "dry riesling" which is really dry (too dry for me) but the regular one is nice.
I tried a bottle of the Chateau St. Michelle Riesling (not the dry one you're talking about) and it still tasted sweet to me. Maybe it's just that I need to re-calibrate my expectations about what a sweet versus dry white is.
Their Johannisburg Riesling? That probably was on the sweet side. Jules is correct of course that most of the world's rielsing is dry but sometimes you have to look a little harder to find dry riesling in the US, especially from a large producer like Chateau Ste. Michele. Mass market American tastes tend to run sweet, especially with riesling.

ETA: I don't think they can call it Johannisburg Riesling anymore because of a TTB ruling - not sure what they're labeling it these days but what used to be the Johannisburg Reisling was definitely not dry.

Christo said:

Chehalem from Willamette Valley makes a wonderful dry style

Trefethen in Napa has one and it is outstanding

Villa Wolf from Pfalz region in Germany makes a wonderful everyday drinking dry style (and they have a really decent everyday Pinot Gris)

Herman J Weimer from Finger Lakes New York has two in their Dry Riesling and Dry Reserve and are two solid wine.

Anthony Road from Finger Lakes has a nice dry style Riesling also

Nikolaihof from Austria makes some of the best damn dry Riesling I have ever tasted (and some of the best damn wines) I had their Burggarten Jungfernlese on my list once and it was insane how good that wine was.

Don't confuse fruit and sweet when you taste dry styles of Riesling. Stone fruit, lemon or lime zest, orange blossom, tropical fruit, roses, and citrus fruits are all common in the nose and on the palate. If you find one from Germany and/or Austria they will have some wonderful racy minerality which makes for a wonderful bottle. You could also smell some petrol (think rubber tire) and this is not a fault. It occurs when Rieslings are given a little age and I love this in a nice aged bottle.

Christo said:

Chehalem from Willamette Valley makes a wonderful dry style

Trefethen in Napa has one and it is outstanding

Villa Wolf from Pfalz region in Germany makes a wonderful everyday drinking dry style (and they have a really decent everyday Pinot Gris)

Herman J Weimer from Finger Lakes New York has two in their Dry Riesling and Dry Reserve and are two solid wine.

Anthony Road from Finger Lakes has a nice dry style Riesling also

Nikolaihof from Austria makes some of the best damn dry Riesling I have ever tasted (and some of the best damn wines) I had their Burggarten Jungfernlese on my list once and it was insane how good that wine was.

Don't confuse fruit and sweet when you taste dry styles of Riesling. Stone fruit, lemon or lime zest, orange blossom, tropical fruit, roses, and citrus fruits are all common in the nose and on the palate. If you find one from Germany and/or Austria they will have some wonderful racy minerality which makes for a wonderful bottle. You could also smell some petrol (think rubber tire) and this is not a fault. It occurs when Rieslings are given a little age and I love this in a nice aged bottle.
:thumbup:

Let's talk Gewürztraminers. I'm not a big white wine guy. But I find that I'm drawn to Pinot Grigios and Gewürztraminers. The problem shopping for Gewürztraminers is that the selections around here suck. I find buttloads of Chardonnays, a good selection of Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios and a decent selection of Reislings. But I never find more than one or two Gewürztraminers. Given the barren local landscape, I'd be willing to go online and order a case of something that's considered to be top notch. Anyone here a Gewürztraminer fan with some suggestions?

Ordered a bottle to try it out. :thumbup:
Arghhhhh! Just received a notice from UPS that the bottle was broken in transit.

Just received the wine bench shipment from Michel Schlumberger. 2010 Gold Label Cab and a Syrah/Cab blend. These supposedly are the primo wines from the best grapes of the best block on the vineyard. Excited to check them out.

Arghhhhh! Just received a notice from UPS that the bottle was broken in transit.
Sweet! All things come to those who wait. Not only did my bottle arrive today. But it arrived with 11 friends. :thumbup:

went to mixer last night and tried the Envolve lineup:

2012 Envolve Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc - nice nose: a little grassy with light citrus fruit. palate: lacked acidity, and came off a little sweet...might be due to the 8% Muscat added. if you like sweet(er) wines that aren't cloying, this could work. $27

2011 (?) Envolve Canreros Chardonany - somehow i didn't see the vintage for this one, but was told it was the "new chardonnay" so i assume it's 2011. 30% new French oak, 100% ML. a good Chardonnay, though not my style with full ML. if you like a buttery, creamy chardonnay, with definite wood influence this one is for you. $27

2012 Envolve Sonoma County Rose' - i was a bit confused on this wine. the woman pouring it said it was rose' of Grenache, though the tech sheet said it was rose' of Syrah and Pinot Meunier. in any case the color was beautiful and had some really nice red fruit notes. there is a tiny bit of RS, so i'd say ice this one down and pop a bottle by the pool this summer.

2011 Envolve Lennox Vineyard Pinot Noir - easily the best wine in the lineup if you like CA Pinot Noir. great nose, with cherry and strawberry dominating a tiny bit of earthy quality. candied red fruits carried through to the palate, though the wine finished with a bit of heat. at $59 price point, it's bordering on "special bottle" status.

2010 Envolve Sonoma County Old Vine Primitivo - big. hot. oak. those were the descriptors i came up with after the first taste. this was the last wine of the lineup and was paired with chocolate truffle. it lived up to the 15.5% ABV billing on the label. to be fair, the bottles themselves were in a table catching all the late afternoon sun, and could have benefited from some shade and cooler temps. if you like big, fruit-driven "Zinfandel," with a lower acid profile, then could work. $59

It is slightly on the sweet side but pretty midrange. Some Rieslings are almost dessert wines.

If you ever find the dry CSM, give it a shot. That #### is bone dry.

Gotta say the Cameron Hughes stuff at Costco is consistently good value.

There's so many of them and I can't remember all the lots I've had (maybe 6 different ones), but all have outperformed the price.

Sweet! All things come to those who wait. Not only did my bottle arrive today. But it arrived with 11 friends. :thumbup:
This is pretty damned good. All the better at >$2.00/bottle! :thumbup:

2012 Envolve Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc - nice nose: a little grassy with light citrus fruit. palate: lacked acidity, and came off a little sweet...might be due to the 8% Muscat added. if you like sweet(er) wines that aren't cloying, this could work. $27

2011 (?) Envolve Canreros Chardonany - somehow i didn't see the vintage for this one, but was told it was the "new chardonnay" so i assume it's 2011. 30% new French oak, 100% ML. a good Chardonnay, though not my style with full ML. if you like a buttery, creamy chardonnay, with definite wood influence this one is for you. $27

2012 Envolve Sonoma County Rose' - i was a bit confused on this wine. the woman pouring it said it was rose' of Grenache, though the tech sheet said it was rose' of Syrah and Pinot Meunier. in any case the color was beautiful and had some really nice red fruit notes. there is a tiny bit of RS, so i'd say ice this one down and pop a bottle by the pool this summer.

2011 Envolve Lennox Vineyard Pinot Noir - easily the best wine in the lineup if you like CA Pinot Noir. great nose, with cherry and strawberry dominating a tiny bit of earthy quality. candied red fruits carried through to the palate, though the wine finished with a bit of heat. at $59 price point, it's bordering on "special bottle" status.

2010 Envolve Sonoma County Old Vine Primitivo - big. hot. oak. those were the descriptors i came up with after the first taste. this was the last wine of the lineup and was paired with chocolate truffle. it lived up to the 15.5% ABV billing on the label. to be fair, the bottles themselves were in a table catching all the late afternoon sun, and could have benefited from some shade and cooler temps. if you like big, fruit-driven "Zinfandel," with a lower acid profile, then could work. $59
Real question is, did you see Ben?!

2010 Michel Schlumberger Gold Collection Cab...tremendous!..So smooth, lush...best Cab I've had in awhile.
Nice. I've been touring Italy (via wine not in person) and I can report three fantastic summer wines. The first one is a Roero Arneis and a little embarrassing. All I can offer is a pic of the label. :lol: It was part of a $400 purchase and I have no idea what the TdB label winery is. :shrug: When I get back to LA, I'll find out what that is.

Another is Colterezio-Schrekbichl Altkirch Chard, great impersonation of the best French unoaked chablis style Chard. It's a big label, here's another pic. I'm particular about Chard and this juice blew me away. Hell, both the above did.

Another great summer find. Yes, Rosé. It's dry and delicious. I've had plenty of meh and disappointing wines recently. These three made them all worth it.

I am not usually a wine drinker but have been enjoying some forays into the grape world. At the risk of sounding like a rube, what are your guys' opinions on Coppola wines? I particularly enjoyed a Petite Syrah (is that right) that I found at my local wine store. I enjoy Coppola's stuff (tried the Malbec and Pinot Noir and enjoyed them) but my experience in wine is very limited to say the least.

Assuming I do sound like a newbie, which I am, what widely available, relatively inexpensive, red wines do you suggest I try? I have read back a few pages in this thread but most of the stuff I cannot find in my local store.

Real question is, did you see Ben?!
ha! yes, i've met Ben a couple of times. good guy.

I am not usually a wine drinker but have been enjoying some forays into the grape world. At the risk of sounding like a rube, what are your guys' opinions on Coppola wines? I particularly enjoyed a Petite Syrah (is that right) that I found at my local wine store. I enjoy Coppola's stuff (tried the Malbec and Pinot Noir and enjoyed them) but my experience in wine is very limited to say the least.

Assuming I do sound like a newbie, which I am, what widely available, relatively inexpensive, red wines do you suggest I try? I have read back a few pages in this thread but most of the stuff I cannot find in my local store.
a lot will depend on where you are. CA residents have a lot better selection than say PA residents.

some of my favorite QPR wines*:

Qupe Central Coast Syrah - $17

Sherman & Hooker's "Shebang" Red Wine - $16

Bonny Doon "Clos de Gilroy" - $18

*definition of "relatively inexpensive" wine varies widely

Quint said:
Mohawk said:

a lot will depend on where you are. CA residents have a lot better selection than say PA residents.

some of my favorite QPR wines*:

Qupe Central Coast Syrah - $17

Sherman & Hooker's "Shebang" Red Wine - $16

Bonny Doon "Clos de Gilroy" - $18

*definition of "relatively inexpensive" wine varies widely
The three wines in my last post were all $15-20, and imo, superior to several others priced twice as high and higher. My advice to Mohawk doesn't include specific wines. There's so many. I think he should bookmark a few wine expert sites and try a few of the trendy 90+ point wines under $20 you can find all over the internet. It's a good way to match tasting notes with an expert and start learning what you really like. Touring specific regions is also a fun way to organize the never ending education.

I had an Oregon vs Napa Pinot match last week and Oregon won going away.

Los Carneros Mi Sueno 08 vs Drouhin Leuréne 06

Getting a little more expensive, but the Oregon Pinot is one of the best wines I've ever had. I'm disappointed I didn't lay down a case a few years ago when I bought the bottle. It's a $90 bottle now if you can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread