What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

we had a production tasting this AM for the 2013's. with few exceptions, the vintage across the North Coast seems to be as good, or maybe better, than 2012. for points of reference we tasted (out of barrel):

Chardonnay - Alder Springs, Mendocino Co.

Pinot Noir - Russian River Valley & Green Valley

Syrah - Russian River Valley

Petite Sirah - Lake Co.

Cabernet Franc - Moon Mountain District

Cabernet Sauvignon - Pine Mountain/Cloverdale Peak; Sonoma Valley; Moon Mountain District; Obsidian Ridge

Zinfandel - Sonoma Valley

buy with confidence, upon release, from your favorite producer.

Enjoy your prison cell, KNOB! :thumbdown:

NEW YORK (AP) — A collector convicted of making bogus vintage wine in his California kitchen and selling it for millions of dollars was sentenced Thursday to a decade in prison by a judge who said he wanted to send a message to others who might tamper with what people eat and drink.

"The public at large needs to know our food and drinks are safe ... and not some potentially unsafe homemade witch's brew," U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman said as he announced the prison term for Rudy Kurniawan. He also ordered him to forfeit $20 million and pay $28.4 million in restitution.

Kurniawan, a 37-year-old Indonesian citizen of Chinese descent, lowered his head as the judge explained the sentence and described Kurniawan's quest as a "bold, grandiose, unscrupulous but destined-to-fail con."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Stanley Okula described Kurniawan as the "kingpin of counterfeiters," a man who turned his Arcadia home into a laboratory where he poured wine into what appeared to be vintage bottles before attaching elegant fake labels and selling them for tens of millions of dollars.

"He did it to line his own pockets," Okula told Berman, who concluded that Kurniawan had caused losses close to $30 million, primarily to seven victims. One of them was William Koch, a billionaire yachtsman, entrepreneur and wine investor.

Koch testified at Kurniawan's December trial, when Kurniawan was convicted of mail and wire fraud.

Before he was sentenced, Kurniawan twice apologized, saying "I'm really sorry" and expressing a desire to take care of his mother, who lives in California after receiving asylum.

I'm having a hell of a time selling my Vinotemp 600E. No bites on Craigslist in two weeks.

If anybody knows someone in socal wanting one or suggestions on how to unload it would appreciate a PM. $1000

I'm more of a beer guy but Winking Owl Cabernet found at Aldis is the best quality inexpensive wine you will find. We have taken this to a few blind wine tasting parties and it has won over higher priced wines that others have brought trying to impress.

Not one for the wine snobs but will really surprise for a cheap $3 house wine.
:yes: Picked up one a few weeks ago. Drank it, went back for a few more. I'm downright ignorant when it comes to wine but I like a red every so often.

Enjoy your prison cell, KNOB! :thumbdown:

NEW YORK (AP) — A collector convicted of making bogus vintage wine in his California kitchen and selling it for millions of dollars was sentenced Thursday to a decade in prison by a judge who said he wanted to send a message to others who might tamper with what people eat and drink."The public at large needs to know our food and drinks are safe ... and not some potentially unsafe homemade witch's brew," U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman said as he announced the prison term for Rudy Kurniawan. He also ordered him to forfeit $20 million and pay $28.4 million in restitution.

Kurniawan, a 37-year-old Indonesian citizen of Chinese descent, lowered his head as the judge explained the sentence and described Kurniawan's quest as a "bold, grandiose, unscrupulous but destined-to-fail con."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Stanley Okula described Kurniawan as the "kingpin of counterfeiters," a man who turned his Arcadia home into a laboratory where he poured wine into what appeared to be vintage bottles before attaching elegant fake labels and selling them for tens of millions of dollars.

"He did it to line his own pockets," Okula told Berman, who concluded that Kurniawan had caused losses close to $30 million, primarily to seven victims. One of them was William Koch, a billionaire yachtsman, entrepreneur and wine investor.

Koch testified at Kurniawan's December trial, when Kurniawan was convicted of mail and wire fraud.

Before he was sentenced, Kurniawan twice apologized, saying "I'm really sorry" and expressing a desire to take care of his mother, who lives in California after receiving asylum.
with respect to what the judge had to say: the people Rudy was defrauding wern't really worried about the "safety" of the wine, but more about the tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars they got screwed out of.

last night:

2012 Keating Georges III Cabernet Sauvignon

2008 Monsanto Chianti Classico Reserva (magnum)

both very tight and took about an hour to open up. preferred the young Cab.

FYI: A few of the local Costco stores have 2012 Ponzi Tavola Pinot Noir for $18. I know their selections can vary regionally, but it's worth a look for that price. This one isn't going to win any medals, but it's not too shabby @ that price from what's supposed to be an excellent vintage.

Wine room will FINALLY be done this week. The last set of racks are going in today. Touchups and dialing in the cooler temp and humidifier are tomorrow. I'll post pics once done but it will be at least a few weeks before all the wine is in.
Still filling, organizing, etc. But here's the current state of thingshttp://farm6.staticflickr.com/5563/14430234754_4d6f10c172_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/14430236664_8e96cf660f_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3926/14431363055_6c3d1c3a3c_b.jpg
looks great, any update on how it is working out...anything you would do differently?

I'm a bit of a wine novice. I have a couple of general questions. I just bought ten bottles of moderately priced, various types of wine to fill up the storage space in a baker's rack. But I know I'm gonna pop these at some point when I get tired of staring at them.

1) As long as these remain unopened and are stored in a cool place, they will be fine for an lengthy period of time, correct?

2) Once I open them, I'm assuming they get refrigerated. Then how long is the bottle good for?

3) Seems logical to drink wine at room temp, but are there any types which should be served chilled?

I can give you the exact types of wine if needed, but call it a random selection you'd find at any decent liquor store.

Paolo Scavino everything!

Elisa was in town so a rep asked me to join them for a tasting and some dinner...

Seven different Barolos

Nebbiolo

Barbera D'Alba

Dolcetto D'Alba

and the great little white blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Viognier known as Sorriso

Big fan of Scavino wines. If you see them, get them

Paolo Scavino everything!

Elisa was in town so a rep asked me to join them for a tasting and some dinner...

Seven different Barolos

Nebbiolo

Barbera D'Alba

Dolcetto D'Alba

and the great little white blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Viognier known as Sorriso

Big fan of Scavino wines. If you see them, get them
:kicksrock:

I'm a bit of a wine novice. I have a couple of general questions. I just bought ten bottles of moderately priced, various types of wine to fill up the storage space in a baker's rack. But I know I'm gonna pop these at some point when I get tired of staring at them.

1) As long as these remain unopened and are stored in a cool place, they will be fine for an lengthy period of time, correct?

2) Once I open them, I'm assuming they get refrigerated. Then how long is the bottle good for?

3) Seems logical to drink wine at room temp, but are there any types which should be served chilled?

I can give you the exact types of wine if needed, but call it a random selection you'd find at any decent liquor store.
1 - keys to wine storage are lack of exposure to sunlight, relatively cool place, and not moving the bottles around very much. If you don't have a wine fridge, the under the bed or in a closet is fine. On top of the house refrigerator = not fine.

2 - depends on the type of wine and producer. I can get three days out of most new world reds and whites. Older vintages (e.g. 8+ years) or some old world wines may just be 24 hours or less before they start to fall off. YMMV

3 - I serve all my wine chilled (red and white). Not ice-bucket cold, but enough to be below "room temp" when it hits the glass. I enjoy seeing the wine evolve over the course of time as it gets to room temp. Exceptions: bubbles should always be served as cold as possible, and I don't chill ports or stickies.

1 - keys to wine storage are lack of exposure to sunlight, relatively cool place, and not moving the bottles around very much. If you don't have a wine fridge, the under the bed or in a closet is fine. On top of the house refrigerator = not fine.

2 - depends on the type of wine and producer. I can get three days out of most new world reds and whites. Older vintages (e.g. 8+ years) or some old world wines may just be 24 hours or less before they start to fall off. YMMV

3 - I serve all my wine chilled (red and white). Not ice-bucket cold, but enough to be below "room temp" when it hits the glass. I enjoy seeing the wine evolve over the course of time as it gets to room temp. Exceptions: bubbles should always be served as cold as possible, and I don't chill ports or stickies.
Stickies huh?You an Aussie?

nah. more of a catch-all term for Late Harvest and botrytis(ed) whites for me.

Be sure to warm your white wines.

X

nah. more of a catch-all term for Late Harvest and botrytis(ed) whites for me.
That actually sounds really good tonite and I have some to open up

Last edited by a moderator:
Opened a little 500ml of some Chateau Tirecul la Graviere Cuvee Chateau. Had to grab some pears and Gorgonzola to snack with it. So very very good

For people that say they don't like sweet wines, you have never quaffed a wonderfully made botrytis miracle. Drink it with something other than dessert such as Foie Gras or blue cheeses. Fantastic!

I just had some Silver Oak at my local wine bar tonight. It's such a guilty pleasure... it's the John Mayer of wines. Talented, but oh so douchey.

I like my reds cooler than room temp, but not cold, as that kills the taste. I don't do a lot of whites, but I like those cold, maybe out of the fridge for 15-20 mins. Reminder that for long term storage, reds should be stored dark, and ideally less than 70F. A stack of cut PVC pipes in the basement does the trick for me as a wine cellar, which is around 65F, also the temp I like to drink it at.

In terms of open reds, oxygen is the enemy. Storing open bottles in the fridge helps prolong the wine. You can store a red upright in the fridge to save a red for a week with no real noticeable difference. If you store in on it's side, it oxidizes faster as there is more wine surface area exposed to air. Reds don't last longer than that in my house. Pinot Noirs definitely seem to turn faster, so I always plan to drink those dry (try Calista Pinot Noir or Four Graces--tasty). I'll even recork Pinots between servings to try and minimize fresh air exposure. You can buy a vacuum pump to prolong wines, or just transfer it to a smaller bottle and fill it to the top so there is no air. I've used an empty water bottle, and crunched it down to squeeze out the air. Works really well if I'm going to be gone for a week. Anything that keeps the red cool, and reduces oxygen to keep it from moving towards vinegar taste should work well.

Figured I would maybe come here for a question...

Looking to bring a bottle of wine to Thanksgiving... The host's favorite is Chianti. Can anyone recommend a fairly readily available chianti under say $50 to bring?

Figured I would maybe come here for a question...

Looking to bring a bottle of wine to Thanksgiving... The host's favorite is Chianti. Can anyone recommend a fairly readily available chianti under say $50 to bring?
Ruffino Chianti Classico is always good.

Nice steak dinner last night. Started with a Trefethen Dragon's Tooth and finished with Rodney Strong Brothers Ridge Cab. Perfect progression.

Shafer and Feudi have stood alone for a decade+ with me.

I'm thinking Orin Swift may be earning a place here.
Had the Orin Swift Machete recently and didn't care for it, but I'm hearing great things so I'd like to try another.

Alsatian pinot blanc
My favorite region in all of France
we did a month in france right before i started culinary school in 01. loved alsace (balance of french and german cultures)
Exactly. I love everything about Alsace, but the best two words for wine drinkers are Dry Riesling

Aroma is the key here. The nose is in for a treat when it comes to Alsatian wines and forget about oak.

Want some really nice bubbles without the price tag of Champagne then look to some Cremant d'Alsace

The region takes a backseat to no one when it comes to beauty. I love this region so very much

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread