What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

Holiday party at the winery last night:

- 2007 Le Vieux Donjon CdP

- 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma County

- 2008 Blackbird "Arise"

- 2000 Lynch Bages Pauillac

All were fantastic, and the CdP was WOTN

One of many New Year's resolutions: start participating in this Thread. Cheers to you guys!

...agree with Winfield in regards to Dry Riesling...and not just from Alsace. bierfiend may or may not agree with me, but as a Chef, especially one who focuses quite a bit on cheese, I don't think there's a more food-friendly white wine than Dry Riesling. I'd be hard pressed to name a wine that does as good a job of cleansing the palate and opening up one's taste receptors for the next bite, or a changing of course. I do quite a bit of food and wine/beer pairing for both restaurant wine/beer dinners and private clients, and I am absolutely, hands-down, an acid freak in that regard...

...I also love Chenin Blanc, both dry and sweet iterations. New Year's Eve dinner with the family, 100% shellfish/seafood oriented. We drank the following:

2014 Champalou Vouvray Sec (Chenin Blanc)

Francoise Chidaine Brut Nature Montlouis Sur Loire NV (Loire Valley Sparking Chenin Blanc)

Michel Turgy Blanc de Blancs Reserve Champagne Brut Grand Cru NV

Tremendous way to ring in 2016!

One of many New Year's resolutions: start participating in this Thread. Cheers to you guys!

...agree with Winfield in regards to Dry Riesling...and not just from Alsace. bierfiend may or may not agree with me, but as a Chef, especially one who focuses quite a bit on cheese, I don't think there's a more food-friendly white wine than Dry Riesling. I'd be hard pressed to name a wine that does as good a job of cleansing the palate and opening up one's taste receptors for the next bite, or a changing of course. I do quite a bit of food and wine/beer pairing for both restaurant wine/beer dinners and private clients, and I am absolutely, hands-down, an acid freak in that regard...

...I also love Chenin Blanc, both dry and sweet iterations. New Year's Eve dinner with the family, 100% shellfish/seafood oriented. We drank the following:

2014 Champalou Vouvray Sec (Chenin Blanc)

Francoise Chidaine Brut Nature Montlouis Sur Loire NV (Loire Valley Sparking Chenin Blanc)

Michel Turgy Blanc de Blancs Reserve Champagne Brut Grand Cru NV

Tremendous way to ring in 2016!
i am a very big fan of riesling, especially dry riesling. it does have a very broad range for pairing. i/we do not drink very often these days, but i usually try to have these around the house:

reds:

nebbiolo

barolo

amarone

right bank bordeaux (pomerol/st. emillion- merlot led blends)

alexander valley cab

russian river or nw pinot

zin

mrs bier's palate changed with her pregnancy and has difficulty with the tannins from bigger reds... so we have some pinot, some rhones, tempranillo, chianti/sangiovese

whites:

white rhone (100% and blends)

chard from burgundy and ca (i like the range of chard)

dry riesling

pinot blanc

trebbiano

arneis

vermentino

verdicchio

pinot gris (i do not love italian pinot grigio)

australian/nz sauv blanc

gruner veltliner

in the summer we like to have some dry rose around also

sparkling:

mrs loves the roses

i lean toward blanc de noir

cava

cremant

drier prosecco

drier lambrusco

eta the gruner

Last edited by a moderator:
Try and find some Barone di Valforte wines

Passerina

Pecorino

Trebbiano d'Abruzzo

Solid and delicious Italian whites

2012 Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate.
If you like the style of the 2012 pinots, you'll love the 2015s.

I'm scheduled to bottle my 2014 reds on Friday if my label printer can get their act together. Probably my favorite Oregon pinot noir vintage to date - has all the richness of a warm weather year with the textured layers of a cool weather year. No excuses for not making great pinot from that harvest. Strongly advise letting them sit for awhile because just about every producer will be releasing them way too early (myself included I'm afraid) - it will be well worth the wait.

so, planning a 17 nite trip to Italy late may - early june. I know there are piles of wine drinkers here. am wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a case shipped to them from Italy?

here is the bad part, a case to ship costs 140 euros, which is about 155USD right now. but if you get 12 bottles at a local grocery store in the 5 euro range you could get an all in price of roughly 200, which could work out to 220 USD or 18USD a bottle, not a bad price for Italian wine. many bottles are IGT, you can find DOC, likely not the DOCG. some wineries we are hitting will be avignonesi, Lamborghini & madrevite, but the price would be higher.

curious if anyone might randomly be interested?

And I'm going to be sure to let you know when, where, how you can buy them.
Well, I'm a little 400 case winery so I don't use distributors but I do ship when the weather allows. Web site is www.bellsupwinery.com for a list of what I currently have in stock and you can drop me an email under the "Contact" tab or a PM if you're interested in ordering. Those 2014 reds will be released in spring once bottle shock has subsided a bit.

I'm attending an "ugly sweater" christmas party next week and I don't want to show up empty handed. 

Any recommendations on a good, cheap wine? Like under $40 cheap. 

Ludovicus Tinto

One of my favorite under $20 bottles of wine because it tastes like it should be twice the price. Seriously, get this and take it to your party.

I'm attending an "ugly sweater" christmas party next week and I don't want to show up empty handed. 

Any recommendations on a good, cheap wine? Like under $40 cheap. 
Lots of great options sub-$40.

Safe to assume this is a gift for the host? If so, do they prefer red or white?

Went to Argentina a few weeks back. I was already a fan of the Gascon and Alamos Malbecs for budget buys. Those bastards know how to make some wine. Had a load of the stuff while I was there. If you run across Latitud 33, Escorihuela Gascon, Estiba I, Trumpeter, Trapiche, or TintoNegro, grab a few bottles.

Stags' Leap - Artemis.

Excellent
Looking for a Cabernet around $50-$75 per bottle for the boss and owners, this 2014 Stag's Leap Artemis has come up a few times during my research. Any recommendations for a great cab in this price range that will impress?

Better than the Stag's Leap Artemis?

Also looking at 2013 Louis M, Martini Monte Rosso and 2013 Inglenook Cabernet. any experience with either of these?
Wouldn’t say any is better. All depends on your taste, what you’re eating, etc...  They’re all great.

That Inglenook sounds familiar. Pretty sure I’ve had something from them, but not a cab. Syrah maybe. 

I’m a huge fan of Ehlers Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Pretty much celebrate their entire portfolio

If you want to spend a touch higher, their 1886 Cab Sauv is fantastic

For you Riesling fans, especially dry Riesling, check out Paetra Wines. Bill Hooper is a friend of mine and he makes great Riesling that are also age worthy

paetrawine.com

Looking for a Cabernet around $50-$75 per bottle for the boss and owners, this 2014 Stag's Leap Artemis has come up a few times during my research. Any recommendations for a great cab in this price range that will impress?
More CA options: 

Heitz Estate

Laurel Glen

Smith Madrone

Ridge

More CA options: 

Heitz Estate

Laurel Glen

Smith Madrone

Ridge
Specifically, the Ridge Estate Cabernet, which retails around $50 to $55, but you can pay a little less or a little more depending on where you are.

Other Ridge wines, like Geyserville and Lytton Springs, are in the $25 to $35 range and are excellent.

Other Ridge, namely Monte Bello, are around $150. Never had one, though I own a magnum of the 2012, but I hear they are fantastic given a little time.

Ridge is outstanding across the board. If/When I join my first wine club, I'm joining the total package for Ridge.

Users who are viewing this thread