What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Out of the Park baseball sim league starting (1 Viewer)

blake

Footballguy
Out of the Park is arguably the best baseball simulation game on the market right now. A league that two people and I are starting so far has 14 members and we are looking to fill the league up.

It is a first year league, more than likely, with 2004 or 2005 rosters. Market bases and fan loyalties will be set completely even to attempt to make it much more fair whether you are the GM of the New York Yankees or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Again, you would be inheriting a roster from either the 2004 or 2005 season. Many of the rules are being constructed now and we are hopeful to start the league sooner rather than later.

The league will be hosted on a message board where three other sim leagues are hosted. However, this will be the only baseball sim league. We are getting the message board and website constructed and it should be ready to go by the end of the week.

Of the 14 guys already taking teams, there is a good mix of experienced guys who know baseball and some relative beginners.

Please PM me or contact me on AIM at beatlejpgr27 if you would have interest in joining this completely new league. I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to add that the league will be using OOTP version 5, which is free. Right now, OOTP is giving away this software on their website, so it's the perfect time.

Our league website and forum is not completely ready yet, but it should be ready by the end of the week.

Right now though, we are discussing most everything in this link to our forum:

SLO Community Sim League Baseball Discussion

Wanted to add that if you've never played in a baseball sim league, this might be the perfect league for you. Also, if you're getting a little tired of fantasy baseball and want more in depth management, this would be the perfect league for you.

Why?

Because it's filled with guys who have never played the game before, but others who have. Also, because it's being formed by guys who are bored of the very limited fantasy baseball aspect and want more a more in depth management simulation.

If you've never taken the plunge in a baseball simulation league but have wanted to, or have wanted to try Out of the Park and just never have gotten around to it...well, now's the time, and here is the league for you to join!

OPEN TEAMS:

Toronto Blue Jays

Washington Nationals

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Arizona Diamondbacks

Texas Rangers

Could you give me the Cliffs Notes version of how this works. I'll go to the OOTP site and read but probably won't have time until late this weekend.

Could you give me the Cliffs Notes version of how this works. I'll go to the OOTP site and read but probably won't have time until late this weekend.
i can try, but i'm not sure what other details you'd like to know? i'd be happy to help out in any way i can, but i'm not sure what other details to include outside of what i've included here as a rough overview.if you can respond back with some detailed questions, i can try to answer them as best i know how.

I'm in.

Give me whatever team no one else wants. I like a challenge.

But I have OOTP version 6.5. That might be a problem.
all is good - OOTP 5 is completely free and can be downloaded here.Once the league becomes stable and a sim season or two is completed, we will probably make the transition to the new OOTP software that will be released this summer, but that is for the future to worry about. For now, we are just going ahead with the free version of OOTP to get the league underway.

Please be sure to visit the link above to the thread on the SLO forum and sign up for a team. Welcome aboard!

I'm in.

Give me whatever team no one else wants. I like a challenge.

But I have OOTP version 6.5. That might be a problem.
all is good - OOTP 5 is completely free and can be downloaded here.Once the league becomes stable and a sim season or two is completed, we will probably make the transition to the new OOTP software that will be released this summer, but that is for the future to worry about. For now, we are just going ahead with the free version of OOTP to get the league underway.

Please be sure to visit the link above to the thread on the SLO forum and sign up for a team. Welcome aboard!
I understand the old version is free. My concern is having two versions installed on my computer at the same time. I don't want to destroy the OOTP teams I've already created. Let me do a little research to see if two versions of their software can be installed at the same time.

OPEN TEAMS:

Toronto Blue Jays

Washington Nationals

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Arizona Diamondbacks

Texas Rangers
Can i grab the Astros?I am in the forums on your league page but they all seem to be primarily basketball related. Am I in the right place?

OPEN TEAMS:

Toronto Blue Jays

Washington Nationals

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Arizona Diamondbacks

Texas Rangers
Can i grab the Astros?I am in the forums on your league page but they all seem to be primarily basketball related. Am I in the right place?
you can definitely take the astros. and if you follow that link directly, that should take you to a thread titled: Baseball League Update & Team Claim.please feel free to post there. my username there is johnd2442 so you know who i am.

My concern is having two versions installed on my computer at the same time. I don't want to destroy the OOTP teams I've already created. Let me do a little research to see if two versions of their software can be installed at the same time.
now that is a spectacular question, and predictably i don't have an answer. i'm hoping it is ok though.

I've seen this on three different sites
know any others? i'd like to post there too and get some baseball enthusiasts. :banned:
have you posted this at baseballtangent.com?
i haven't, no. is it a good site? should i?
Given they're going through WIS withdrawal, you'll probably hook a few.
Already hooked me. Signed,

D-Backs new Owner/GM
and in about five seconds, he's answered about five questions from guys on the board. this guy is :thumbup:

i'm in. never done this before with baseball but sounds interesting enough to try...
we'd love to have you. you're more than welcomed. just sign in on the link here and claim a team. there are about 4 or 5 franchises left.

i'm in. never done this before with baseball but sounds interesting enough to try...
we'd love to have you. you're more than welcomed. just sign in on the link here and claim a team. there are about 4 or 5 franchises left.
done. to avoid being a homer and bandwagoneer, i'll roll with detroit...

any teams left?
I believe:Toronto Blue Jays

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City Royals

are left.
Care to give a brief description on how this works? I've never been in a sim league before.
There's a few different ways to use OOTP, but the basics are you are the GM and the software sims the games for you. OOTP can get really advanced in that players can develope and decline in skill as the season and years go on, unlike other baseball sims where your 38 year old vet is just as good at the end of the season as he was at the begining of the season. In OOTP, like in real life, you've got to expect that the old veteran's skills will decline in the years to come, sometimes during the season you're playing. Likewise in OOTP that 23 year old rookie could be pretty overmatched at the beginning of the year, but turn into a solid contributer by midseason. Other sims you just set your team at the beginning of the 162 game season and let it play through. In OOTP you could do that too, but the aging vets will eventually kill your team, and you'll miss out on developing player production. It also makes you think about "next year". In most sims, they are just "one and done" and everyone just drafts a new team for the next season. With OOTP player development , it's cool that the sim never ends, you just go to next season, and maybe your strategy will be to build for the future with young players.

Care to give a brief description on how this works? I've never been in a sim league before.
There's a few different ways to use OOTP, but the basics are you are the GM and the software sims the games for you. OOTP can get really advanced in that players can develope and decline in skill as the season and years go on, unlike other baseball sims where your 38 year old vet is just as good at the end of the season as he was at the begining of the season. In OOTP, like in real life, you've got to expect that the old veteran's skills will decline in the years to come, sometimes during the season you're playing. Likewise in OOTP that 23 year old rookie could be pretty overmatched at the beginning of the year, but turn into a solid contributer by midseason. Other sims you just set your team at the beginning of the 162 game season and let it play through. In OOTP you could do that too, but the aging vets will eventually kill your team, and you'll miss out on developing player production. It also makes you think about "next year". In most sims, they are just "one and done" and everyone just drafts a new team for the next season. With OOTP player development , it's cool that the sim never ends, you just go to next season, and maybe your strategy will be to build for the future with young players.
extra :goodposting: thank you for it, spock. a huge help.

any teams left?
I believe:Toronto Blue Jays

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City Royals

are left.
Thanks for the explanation. So there is an initial draft? You know what, I'll take Toronto.

might be looking for some new GMs soon...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Dl'ed OOTP 5, and am working on setting it up now...EDIT: Don't see an "Export to FTP link on my team page"

What am I doing wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would strongly suggest posting this in the league forum. those with actual significant OOTP experience can help you far more than i can.

Users who are viewing this thread