What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** FFA Heavy Music Thread - No banal, anodyne "Dad Rock" BS here.. (1 Viewer)

No, but close. Very close. Of the big 4 Seattle bands - Pearl Jam and Nirvana get no and AIC/Soundgarden (early - as explained before) get yes.
AIC's driving, distorted basslines alone get them a "yes" from me. They were more "grunge by association" back in the day.

No, but close.  Very close.  Of the big 4 Seattle bands - Pearl Jam and Nirvana get no and AIC/Soundgarden (early - as explained before) get yes.
AIC's driving, distorted basslines alone get them a "yes" from me. They were more "grunge by association" back in the day.
:goodposting:

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Theater of Tragedy

Nightwish
Yes to Lacuna Coil - I am really unfamliar with the rest.
Never heard of the rest? :thumbdown:

You call yourself a metal fan???
I didn't say I never heard of them, I said I was unfamiliar with them. I only get about 30 minutes a day to listen to Hard Attack, so sometimes if a band isn't yet in heavy rotation, I've only heard their songs once or twice. Doesn't mean I haven't heard of them, just that my knowledge isn't diverse enough to pass judgment.I'm in my 30s now, and can't devote 90% of my life to music anymore, regrettably.

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Theater of Tragedy

Nightwish

I didn't say I never heard of them, I said I was unfamiliar with them. I only get about 30 minutes a day to listen to Hard Attack, so sometimes if a band isn't yet in heavy rotation, I've only heard their songs once or twice. Doesn't mean I haven't heard of them, just that my knowledge isn't diverse enough to pass judgment.I'm in my 30s now, and can't devote 90% of my life to music anymore, regrettably.
My apologies, you did say unfamiliar. I am also in my 30s and have listened to all of them. Nightwish is one of the great bands of this decade. But now they need a new singer...The Gathering's Mandylion and Nighttime Birds were brilliant albums. I also really liked Theatre of Tragedy's Aegis.

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Theater of Tragedy

Nightwish

My apologies, you did say unfamiliar. I am also in my 30s and have listened to all of them. Nightwish is one of the great bands of this decade. But now they need a new singer...The Gathering's Mandylion and Nighttime Birds were brilliant albums. I also really liked Theatre of Tragedy's Aegis.
I'm sure I'll end up seeing them on tour at some point, or hearing them on Sirius. Back in the day, when I had a 2-hour commute from central Jersey to NYC each way, I used to get 3-4 hours of WSOU in a day, so I was always privy to up-and-comers in the metal scene before they became popular. Now, I get limited listens, so I usually only discover bands when they tour with a more established band and I catch them as an opener, or they get into semi-heavy rotation on Hard Attack.

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Theater of Tragedy

Nightwish

I'm sure I'll end up seeing them on tour at some point, or hearing them on Sirius. Back in the day, when I had a 2-hour commute from central Jersey to NYC each way, I used to get 3-4 hours of WSOU in a day, so I was always privy to up-and-comers in the metal scene before they became popular. Now, I get limited listens, so I usually only discover bands when they tour with a more established band and I catch them as an opener, or they get into semi-heavy rotation on Hard Attack.
Ah, WSOU - I have a "the few the proud the metal" T-shirt from that station. I actually trained a few DJs for them.The Gathering was just around about a month ago. But I doubt they will ever open for a bigger band. Same with Nightwish - they need to find a singer right now and I don't think I'll ever see them live. You MUST own their Wishmaster, Century Child and Once albums. Essential metal for the 2000s.

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Theater of Tragedy

Nightwish

Ah, WSOU - I have a "the few the proud the metal" T-shirt from that station. I actually trained a few DJs for them.The Gathering was just around about a month ago. But I doubt they will ever open for a bigger band. Same with Nightwish - they need to find a singer right now and I don't think I'll ever see them live. You MUST own their Wishmaster, Century Child and Once albums. Essential metal for the 2000s.
Thanks for the tips, man - I'll check it out.

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Theater of Tragedy

Nightwish

Thanks for the tips, man - I'll check it out.
:headbang:

Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO.  I can go either way on them.
I am sure they would be interested to hear that.Good thread.
Of the bands I've heard of, I've agreed with most of Evil's thoughts in this thread. Queen is the only one I just can't see being metal.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes (more in his latter days, even though the music was weaker)

Yes
WHAT???Van Halen isn't metal??? EVH defined what a metal guitarist is. How can they not be metal? I'll agree that Van Hagar might not have been metal, but the original VH is certainly metal.

If the definition of what is and what is not metal changes every 5 years, how will you ever know what is metal? VH was CERTAINLY considered metal when they came out. That I know.
I'll clarify. VH was fringe metal from VH1 through Diver Down. 1984 began a transformation into being a decidely non-metal band. There were too many bands on that list to do a detailed synopsis like I did here (and with Soundgarden), so I went "no" because the current incarnation is not. However, their first albums were, you're 100% correct.
I guess I should listen to enough present day Bon Jovi then because anything I have ever heard from them is not metal.

Users who are viewing this thread