What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** FFA Heavy Music Thread - No banal, anodyne "Dad Rock" BS here.. (2 Viewers)

Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO.  I can go either way on them.
I am sure they would be interested to hear that.Good thread.
They're a tough one - I really can go either way. All the soundtrack stuff they did, stuff like "Stone Cold Crazy" and such are definite metal, while "Killer Queen" isn't - and Bohemain Rhapsody is and isn't in the same song. I just don't know.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes (more in his latter days, even though the music was weaker)

Yes
WHAT???Van Halen isn't metal??? EVH defined what a metal guitarist is. How can they not be metal? I'll agree that Van Hagar might not have been metal, but the original VH is certainly metal.

If the definition of what is and what is not metal changes every 5 years, how will you ever know what is metal? VH was CERTAINLY considered metal when they came out. That I know.
I'll clarify. VH was fringe metal from VH1 through Diver Down. 1984 began a transformation into being a decidely non-metal band. There were too many bands on that list to do a detailed synopsis like I did here (and with Soundgarden), so I went "no" because the current incarnation is not. However, their first albums were, you're 100% correct.
I guess I should listen to enough present day Bon Jovi then because anything I have ever heard from them is not metal.
I haven't heard anything of theirs since "Slippery When Wet" - for all I know, they may not be metal any more at all.

Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO.  I can go either way on them.
They're a tough one - I really can go either way. All the soundtrack stuff they did, stuff like "Stone Cold Crazy" and such are definite metal, while "Killer Queen" isn't - and Bohemain Rhapsody is and isn't in the same song. I just don't know.
I meant you sounded like a homo for saying you would go "either way" on Queen. You made the call, stick with it. I can't argue it.Hair metal/Arena rock is a difficult genre of rock and roll to classify. Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Def Lepperd, White Snake, etc. all fall into that catagory and I tend to dismiss them all. Although I do admit there are a few songs that I enjoy at times from some of those bands.

I meant you sounded like a homo for saying you would go "either way" on Queen. You made the call, stick with it. I can't argue it.Hair metal/Arena rock is a difficult genre of rock and roll to classify. Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Def Lepperd, White Snake, etc. all fall into that catagory and I tend to dismiss them all. Although I do admit there are a few songs that I enjoy at times from some of those bands.
:lmao: I was waffling on that one from the get-go. I'm still saying yes, but I can easily see the counterpoint, that's all. Hey, some bands are just on that line.Also, I dismiss most of those bands too - but they're all metal. Call it arena rock, but that was a subgenre of metal in the 80s, when all these bands died on the vine.

Incubus

korn

monster Magnet

Queens of the Stone Age

Kyuss
I think I've mentioned all these bands except Monster Magnet, who is a yes, but not a fave of mine.
Sorry didny see the QOTSA kyuss mention.What about:

Iron Butterfly
To be honest, I don't know much of their stuff beyond "In A Gadda Da Vida", which is metal in its way. I've heard them and Blue Cheer called the first metal bands, but I honestly can't pass judgment on Iron Butterfly, because I know very little about them - less than I do about Blue Cheer, who I voted "no" on. If pressed, I'll say no.

Hawkwind

Testament

Did anyone ask Aerosmith?
Yes, Lemmy alone makes them metal. Lemmy IS metal.No question

Close, but no. I put them in the same category as Boston and Zeppelin - rock bands that aren't quite metal.

Hawkwind

Testament

Did anyone ask Aerosmith?
Yes, Lemmy alone makes them metal. Lemmy IS metal.No question

Close, but no. I put them in the same category as Boston and Zeppelin - rock bands that aren't quite metal.
I know Lemmy's in it, but their sound is very.... psychadelic to say the least. I'll go with you with on this one.

To be honest, I don't know much of their stuff beyond "In A Gadda Da Vida", which is metal in its way. I've heard them and Blue Cheer called the first metal bands, but I honestly can't pass judgment on Iron Butterfly, because I know very little about them - less than I do about Blue Cheer, who I voted "no" on. If pressed, I'll say no.
How about another band that sometimes gets creditted as "first American metal band":Mountain

To be honest, I don't know much of their stuff beyond "In A Gadda Da Vida", which is metal in its way.  I've heard them and Blue Cheer called the first metal bands, but I honestly can't pass judgment on Iron Butterfly, because I know very little about them - less than I do about Blue Cheer, who I voted "no" on.  If pressed, I'll say no.
How about another band that sometimes gets creditted as "first American metal band":Mountain
I only know one of their songs and it effing rocks. GB "Mississippi Queen."

Cream

Vanilla Fudge

Great White

Evanescence

Within Temptation

Stone Temple Pilots

Ted Nugent

Steve Vai

Candlebox

Guano Apes
None of the Above.Steve Vai is probably the closest since he did play in Whitesnake, but his solo stuff is just insanely good guitar playing mixed with bits of metal here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cream

Vanilla Fudge

Great White

Evanescence

Within Temptation

Stone Temple Pilots

Ted Nugent

Steve Vai

Candlebox

Guano Apes
No, but closer than most classic rock actsNo

Yes, but barely

No

No

First album, yes, since then, not really

Borderline, I'll say yes

No

No, too fruity

No

To be honest, I don't know much of their stuff beyond "In A Gadda Da Vida", which is metal in its way.  I've heard them and Blue Cheer called the first metal bands, but I honestly can't pass judgment on Iron Butterfly, because I know very little about them - less than I do about Blue Cheer, who I voted "no" on.  If pressed, I'll say no.
What say you, Evilgrin?

What say you, Evilgrin?
Mountain = no. I do dig them, though. Leslie West is high-quality on the axe.

Users who are viewing this thread