What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft IDP Thread (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
There'll be plenty of discussion in the Shark Pool today, but I think it's worth getting a parallel thread moving in the Forum to discuss the newbies as they come off the board.

1.01 MARIO WILLIAMS - Houston Texans

:eek:

Williams is a freak. All predraft speculation was that Super Mario would end up in New Orleans or New York. In New Orleans, he may have been devalued a bit in a potential rotation with Charles Grant and Will Smith. With the Jets, his fantasy outlook may have been blunted by the snaps he would have taken as a 3-4 end. There are no such questions in Houston. Williams goes to a 4-3 defense without a proven pass rushing end. The Texans may provide the most immediate opportunity for fantasy production of any team in this draft. There are some minor questions. Will Williams be double teamed often because Anthony Weaver on the other side isn't scaring anybody? Will the Texans continue to suck and limit Williams' pass rush opportunities? Could he be overwhelmed by the possible comparison that he is the Sam Bowie to Reggie Bush's Michael Jordan?

Fantasy production is all about talent with opportunity. Williams has both. It's usually a mistake to take a newbie DL high in your rookie drafts, but this marriage could make Williams worth putting at the top of your defensive draft board above AJ Hawk and whichever LB the Vikings or Lions take to play WLB in the Tampa-2. Maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a bit stunned Houston drafted him over Bush.... anyway, I agree Jene, Houston should be a good fit. There is a huge drop off at DE after Williams. The next 4-6 DE's, outside of Hali, are all tweeners. It will interesting to see what the Texans do in rounds 2 and 3. :popcorn:

Talk is they go RB next, could be White. I think they will draft a MLB at some point.

For me... I can't see taking Mario over Hawk no matter where Hawk goes.

For me... I can't see taking Mario over Hawk no matter where Hawk goes.
I pretty much agree with Rozelle on this but I think Mario could sneak into the late 1st round in some IDP leagues(of course depending on scoring systems)In regards to Hou passing on Bush, I didnt think they would but i thought they should. RB wasnt a need...but i thought that they would trade down to 4 with the Jets and take either Mario/DBrick or Hawk...I am also gonna be curious to see what they do to address their OL

sorry if anyone doesn't like my sig :rolleyes:

1.05 AJ HAWK - Green Bay Packers

Mario Williams has all the pretty measurables. Hawk has awesome measurables for a backer but also has the consistent production to back them up. 40 time is solid, but his agility and range allow him to play even faster than that. And he's got coverage skills and blitz ability to boot.

Hawk moves into the WLB role for the Pack, bumping Ben Taylor. Pack signed Ryan Pickett in the offseason to replace aging fatman Grady Jackson so both Barnett and Hawk get to flow to the play.

Hawk may not have top 3-5 upside with Barnett in the middle, but Hawk may scoop a significant number of tackles that Barnett used to make well down the field. He's probably going to be the consensus top pick among IDPers.

Now that it is official, how will Hawk affect Barnett? Will they cannibalize each other, or both be valuable?

Mario Williams has all the pretty measurables. Hawk has awesome measurables for a backer but also has the consistent production to back them up. 40 time is solid, but his agility and range allow him to play even faster than that. And he's got coverage skills and blitz ability to boot.

Hawk moves into the WLB role for the Pack, bumping Ben Taylor. Pack signed Ryan Pickett in the offseason to replace aging fatman Grady Jackson so both Barnett and Hawk get to flow to the play.

Hawk may not have top 3-5 upside with Barnett in the middle, but Hawk may scoop a significant number of tackles that Barnett used to make well down the field. He's probably going to be the consensus top pick among IDPers.
I would say there is a chance that Barnett could be moved to WLB with Hawk manning the middlesorry if anyone doesn't like my sig :rolleyes:

1.07 MICHAEL HUFF - Oakland Raiders

Another guy with the total package. Should be able to play either free safety or corner. Elite speed that translates well into recovery and closing speed. Sure tackler. Excellent range and cover skills.

Remains to be seen what the Raiders will do with him, but none of their starters in the secondary are particularly special. SS probably isn't the best fit. He may fill an Ed Reed like big play role at FS. He's got similar size to the big corners the Raiders have targeted in the past like Charles Woodson or Nmandi Asomugha.

Another guy with the total package. Should be able to play either free safety or corner. Elite speed that translates well into recovery and closing speed. Sure tackler. Excellent range and cover skills.

Remains to be seen what the Raiders will do with him, but none of their starters in the secondary are particularly special. SS probably isn't the best fit. He may fill an Ed Reed like big play role at FS. He's got similar size to the big corners the Raiders have targeted in the past like Charles Woodson or Nmandi Asomugha.
Schweig at SS for this year? Really good short term value ...

Mario Williams has all the pretty measurables.  Hawk has awesome measurables for a backer but also has the consistent production to back them up.  40 time is solid, but his agility and range allow him to play even faster than that.  And he's got coverage skills and blitz ability to boot.

Hawk moves into the WLB role for the Pack, bumping Ben Taylor.  Pack signed Ryan Pickett in the offseason to replace aging fatman Grady Jackson so both Barnett and Hawk get to flow to the play.

Hawk may not have top 3-5 upside with Barnett in the middle, but Hawk may scoop a significant number of tackles that Barnett used to make well down the field.  He's probably going to be the consensus top pick among IDPers.
I would say there is a chance that Barnett could be moved to WLB with Hawk manning the middlesorry if anyone doesn't like my sig :rolleyes:
I don't know about that, Keg.Hawk is the prototypical Will. Barnett does have some decent speed and range, but I think the better fit is Hawk at Will and Barnett at Mike.

Mario Williams has all the pretty measurables.  Hawk has awesome measurables for a backer but also has the consistent production to back them up.  40 time is solid, but his agility and range allow him to play even faster than that.  And he's got coverage skills and blitz ability to boot.

Hawk moves into the WLB role for the Pack, bumping Ben Taylor.  Pack signed Ryan Pickett in the offseason to replace aging fatman Grady Jackson so both Barnett and Hawk get to flow to the play.

Hawk may not have top 3-5 upside with Barnett in the middle, but Hawk may scoop a significant number of tackles that Barnett used to make well down the field.  He's probably going to be the consensus top pick among IDPers.
Not out of the question.

Another guy with the total package.  Should be able to play either free safety or corner.  Elite speed that translates well into recovery and closing speed.  Sure tackler.  Excellent range and cover skills.

Remains to be seen what the Raiders will do with him, but none of their starters in the secondary are particularly special.  SS probably isn't the best fit.  He may fill an Ed Reed like big play role at FS.  He's got similar size to the big corners the Raiders have targeted in the past like Charles Woodson or Nmandi Asomugha.
Schweig at SS for this year? Really good short term value ...
IMO, that makes the most sense. Gibson has disappointed even when healthy and Schweigert has played some SS in the past.

1.08 Donte' Whitner

:eek:

Interesting. Whitner in a Tampa-2 scheme is really interesting. Aaron will have a better feel for the Bills' plan here, but with Clements and McGee here and good fits for the Tampa-2, Whitner is almost assuredly a safety.

He's got excellent cover range, ball skills, and football IQ to fit in well as a Cover-2 player. Could play either free or strong safety. Troy Vincent has better cover skills than Wire or Bowen. The Bills have never had Wire in a great position to succeed either, so it may be Whitner and Vincent for the time being. Far from set in stone here either though.

I can't believe that just happend, I can't believe that just happend. I don't know much about this guy but I didn't think he was a top 10 pick!!!! And after it happend I still don't think he is.

I can't believe that just happend, I can't believe that just happend. I don't know much about this guy but I didn't think he was a top 10 pick!!!! And after it happend I still don't think he is.
All I can figure is they must have been concerned Detroit would draft him. :confused:

1.09 ERNIE SIMS - Detroit Lions

:excited:

Woohoo.

Best hopes of IDP guys come true. Sims ends up in a Tampa-2 scheme where he can use his free flowing style to make plays. Lions tentatively have Lehman slated to play the middle, so this likely makes Boss Bailey the SLB again. Even at a smallish 230lbs, scouts have suggested that Sims could handle the SLB role, but he a much better fit as a Will in this scheme.

If Sims avoids the concussion issue and continue to improve in coverage, he could fulfill expectations some have placed on him as the next Derrick Brooks.

I would've thought they'd look hard at Bunkley as a 3 tech tackle, but Tripplett probably fits that bill for them.

I am really suprised that no DT has been taken. I guess I thought that Bunkley and Ngata were both pretty good prospects. We will see I guess.

About Whitner, he is a free safty, right?

I am really suprised that no DT has been taken. I guess I thought that Bunkley and Ngata were both pretty good prospects. We will see I guess.

He'll prolly play SS

I am really suprised that no DT has been taken.  I guess I thought that Bunkley and Ngata were both pretty good prospects.  We will see I guess.

He'll prolly play SS
He could play either, but given the Bills personnel and scheme, I think it's Vincent and Whitner right now.

Wow, interesting top ten for IDP leagues. All five defensive newbies land in a decent position. Might have liked to see Whitner land in a scheme using him as a more classic SS role, but he's the kind of player who could produce in the boxscore as a Tampa-2 safety.

Browns take Wimbley here?
Possibly. Bunkley is interesting - he could play in two gap scheme. Ngata is there as well. Any of the three could improve the defense significantly.ETA: Guess they like all three. Traded down a pick with Baltimore.

I'm pretty disgusted by the Whitner pick. I think it was a huge reach.

They needed to address a weakness at OT and DT and should have traded down if they didn't want to take Bunkley or Justice that high.

1.12 HALOTI NGATA - Baltimore Ngata

Ray Lewis - :D

More of a two gap type tackle, but has the ability to penetrate at times. Certainly should take up space and blockers to help RayRay stay clean and flow to the play. Replaces Ma'ake Kemoeatu in the starting lineup.

No fantasy impact other than the possible ramifications for Lewis. If he continually commands a double team he may marginally help Pryce by keeping the guard from routinely double teaming him on the left side.

I'm pretty disgusted by the Whitner pick. I think it was a huge reach.

They needed to address a weakness at OT and DT and should have traded down if they didn't want to take Bunkley or Justice that high.
I agree...Buffalo has been doing some questionable moves since hiring Levy.

is Ngata a steal at 12 a few months ago he was top 6 at least.
Big, powerful 2 gap tackles that take up space, routinely drawing a double team while remaining durable are very rare.If Ngata fulfills his promise, he could be considered a steal. Drafting a NT isn't particularly sexy, though, and there aren't many that would refer to the best in the biz as draft steals.

1.13 KAMERION WIMBLEY - Cleveland Browns

Fine fit for the Belichick hybrid scheme. Excellent character, football IQ. Projects as an excellent rush LB in the mold of Peter Boulware and a bookend to Willie McGinest.

Needs plenty of work in coverage though and probably doesn't have too much fantasy value in standard leagues unless he proves himself strong in run support and can approach 65-70 solo tackles or is so dominant as an edge rusher he can get 12-15 sacks.

Biggest impact here involves Chaun Thompson and Matt Stewart. Whoever wins the ILB job has value, the other has none.

1.14 BRODERICK BUNKLEY - Philadelphia Eagles

Freakishly strong. Benched 225 lb 44 :eek: times at the combine. Also agile enough to play as a one gap penetrator. Will pair with Mike Patterson to form a formidable tackle combination.

Will have value in DT only leagues, but only marginal value otherwise unless he shows the ability to consistently get to the quarterback. Jeremiah Trotter is loving this, as is Shawn Barber. The biggest beneficiary may be the TBD newbie LB who could be the future WLB.

1.15 TYE HILL - St. Louis Rams

And here come the corners.

Meh. Other than the rookie corner rule, there's little reason to pay attention to corners (outside of the Tampa-2 guys) in standard IDP leagues.

Hill has potential value this season as a excellent man coverage guy and a willing run supporter. Hands and ball skills may him a questionable big play guy at best. Should step in as a starter ahead of Ronald Bartell and Travis Fisher. If the rookie corner rule applies here (and it should), Jerametrius Butler may see his opportunities drop and lose some of his past value.

1.16 JASON ALLEN - Miami Dolphins

Rebounded nicely after questions about his hip.

Could play corner or safety and the Dolphins are weak in both spots. Probably a free safety here given his excellent range and ball skills. Not the most physical hitter, but will get a little extra value as a safety who can cover the slot guy on third downs.

1.16 JASON ALLEN - Miami Dolphins

Rebounded nicely after questions about his hip.

Could play corner or safety and the Dolphins are weak in both spots. Probably a free safety here given his excellent range and ball skills. Not the most physical hitter, but will get a little extra value as a safety who can cover the slot guy on third downs.
FS would be my guess. A bit risky pick.

as for Jason Allen, I thought they were going to try Renaldo Hill at FS.

They really don't have a good SS (Deke Cooper struggled last year in Jacksonville, and Yeremiah Bell/Travares Tillman are not starter quality). Thoughts on whether Allen can play there?

1.17 CHAD GREENWAY - Minnesota Vikings

Hmm. More kool-aid for the Tampa-2 WLB lovers.

Exceptional cover skills, and has the full package (speed, range, instincts) to succeed in the Tampa-2. He's been handpicked by the new staff so it's Dont Thomas vs EJ for the MLB role now.

Based on the Ernie Sims hype, you can probably get Greenway much later and he could well outperform Sims behind a much better defensive line.

Excellent value.

Users who are viewing this thread