What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone here into fishing? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Footballguy
the largemouth and crappy are biting like champs right now! :thumbup:

what kind of fishing are you into?

what lures do you use?

do you own a boat?

Love fishing for bass and crappy.

Topwater lures (popRs) for bass is fun, minnows for crappy. Jordan Lake in NC is great for either.

It's "crappies". Or the singular is "crappie".

I fish quite a bit. The crappies are spawning right now and the bass are in pre-spawn. The bite is pretty hot for crappie and bass right now, with the bluegill spawn coming up soon as well. Rock bass, gills, bass and crappie are going to be hot for a few weeks if the weather holds up and water temps keep going up.

For crappie, I like to drop shot minnow rigs or use small, two-color tubes on a 1/16 or 1/8 jig head. You can use these with bobbers as well, just get them close to the bottom and cover and you'll be amazed at the action you get off them. You can also get good bites on floating bug lures if you put a clear egg bobber on about 5 feet up from the lure. Cast it near cover, let it sit for about 10 seconds before your retrieve, and then twitch, twitch, pause, twitch, twitch, pause. I get hundreds of crappie and gills like this every year. Also effective are small, bright twister tails on the same jig heads as above. I even catch them on small spinner baits worked down to about 6-8 feet.

We also fish a lot of smallmouth bass in the rivers with just about every lure you can think of. I like 3/8 or 1/2 jig head with a twister tail, and then tip it with a minnow most times. I also favor small spinners (like Black Furies, etc), soft plastic crawdads or even the imitation crayfish lures. They kill on smallies.

And as for largemouth, the single best baits I have found in the last ten years has to be the Berkley Gulp! lures. They advertise that they "outfish live bait", and I can say I believe it. Lindy rig a 6" Berkley Gulp! nightcrawler (I like the pumpkinseed, watermelon, or the black red flake colors) and finesse them around cover. They are seriously like crack for these largemouth around here.

One last thing I will recommend to anyone who is just getting into fishing- get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses. You may not think they make much difference, but trust me, they do. All you have to do is look in the water one time with polarized glasses and you will understand. You can see much further out from the boat or shore, and much deeper, sometimes even allowing sight-fishing. That is so fun.

And as for largemouth, the single best baits I have found in the last ten years has to be the Berkley Gulp! lures. They advertise that they "outfish live bait", and I can say I believe it. Lindy rig a 6" Berkley Gulp! nightcrawler (I like the pumpkinseed, watermelon, or the black red flake colors) and finesse them around cover. They are seriously like crack for these largemouth around here.

One last thing I will recommend to anyone who is just getting into fishing- get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses. You may not think they make much difference, but trust me, they do. All you have to do is look in the water one time with polarized glasses and you will understand. You can see much further out from the boat or shore, and much deeper, sometimes even allowing sight-fishing. That is so fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: on the polarized glasses...even a cheap Walmart pair is better than your plain sunglasses! I will definitely give the Gulp! lures a try here!

I have had decent luck around here using a buzzbait or chugbug (somewhat similar to the Pop-R) in the early hours, then switching over to worm/jig/crankbait/spinnerbait depending on the water/weather

Might as well make this the ***OFFICIAL*** fishing thread! If there was one before, it probably got axed

My gb bought a boat last year, so we are starting to get into it pretty heavy.

Last summer we owned the bluegills fishing meal worms and crickets in Saddle Creek Park. (Lakeland, Fl.) They have a slot limit on largemouth there so it's hard to catch a keeper.

For largemouth bass, we have a private lake in Plant City that was stocked a few years ago. We catch 2-3 lbers all day on live shinners, red chad, and white jerk bait.

Two weekends ago was the first time we took his boat into the saltwater. We fished the flats around the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa Bay, and had no luck. The other boat we went with caught some trout and a 24 inch snook.

I doubt we will do much more saltwater, my buddy can't swim and was pretty freaked out when we got off the flats and into a 2 foot chop on the bay.

Striped bass surf fishing on the South Shore of MA is my thing. Owned a boat for a number of years, but got rid of it two years ago. More trouble than it was worth. Fishing the beach with a cigar and a cooler of beer is my preference.

Striped bass surf fishing on the South Shore of MA is my thing. Owned a boat for a number of years, but got rid of it two years ago. More trouble than it was worth. Fishing the beach with a cigar and a cooler of beer is my preference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is the action right now Nigel? I will be in MA. for work next week and my boss would like to do some flats fishing for schoolies. Is the water temperature warmer than normal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is the action right now Nigel? I will be in MA. for work next week and my boss would like to do some flats fishing for schoolies. Is the water temperature warmer than normal?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not been out yet, probably won't fish until Memorial Day weekend. The schoolies have arrived though. My cousin caught a bunch down in Humarock (an area of Scituate) on Saturday. I'm not sure on the water temp question, though I assume it's higher than normal given the mild winter.

edit to add: here is a good MA striper forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not been out yet, probably won't fish until Memorial Day weekend. The schoolies have arrived though. My cousin caught a bunch down in Humarock (an area of Scituate) on Saturday. I'm not sure on the water temp question, though I assume it's higher than normal given the mild winter.

edit to add: here is a good MA striper forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks. :thumbup:

I fish quite a bit. The crappies are spawning right now and the bass are in pre-spawn. The bite is pretty hot for crappie and bass right now, with the bluegill spawn coming up soon as well. Rock bass, gills, bass and crappie are going to be hot for a few weeks if the weather holds up and water temps keep going up.

For crappie, I like to drop shot minnow rigs or use small, two-color tubes on a 1/16 or 1/8 jig head. You can use these with bobbers as well, just get them close to the bottom and cover and you'll be amazed at the action you get off them. You can also get good bites on floating bug lures if you put a clear egg bobber on about 5 feet up from the lure. Cast it near cover, let it sit for about 10 seconds before your retrieve, and then twitch, twitch, pause, twitch, twitch, pause. I get hundreds of crappie and gills like this every year. Also effective are small, bright twister tails on the same jig heads as above. I even catch them on small spinner baits worked down to about 6-8 feet.

We also fish a lot of smallmouth bass in the rivers with just about every lure you can think of. I like 3/8 or 1/2 jig head with a twister tail, and then tip it with a minnow most times. I also favor small spinners (like Black Furies, etc), soft plastic crawdads or even the imitation crayfish lures. They kill on smallies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:excited: you sure know your fishing! thanks for the tips!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. But really, is has been a continual learning process for me. I learn something new almost every time I go out, and I have been fishing for 30+ years. What really gets you hooked (pun intended) is when you can get a certain technique down and be successful with it on a regular basis. Then you always have something to fall back on. I am now comfortable with several techniques, and now I am getting more into color variations vs. weather conditions. One other suggestion for you. If you are going after the game fish (crappie, bass, bluegills, etc) get out on the water right at first light. Seriously, I get there as the sun is coming up. Those first two hours are always the best for me. Like someone else said, start with a topwater lure while the water is still calm, then experiment with other lures. The other prime time is at dusk, from about 2 hours before sunset until dark. Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:lmao: :lmao: This is such :fishing: crap!

Going fishing in Ontario for trophy Northern and Walleye in 4 weeks. I can't wait. This is the 3rd year in a row for 4 of us diehards. When I say trophy, I mean TROPHY. Two years in a row we caught 42" northerns. We caught a Walleye 30" long 2 years ago, and the majority are over 22".

Add to great fishing the facts that we are the only cabin on the entire lake, plus Northern lights, plus moose and bear, plus beer, plus walleye recipes every night (I'm the cook) - can't beat it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. But really, is has been a continual learning process for me. I learn something new almost every time I go out, and I have been fishing for 30+ years. What really gets you hooked (pun intended) is when you can get a certain technique down and be successful with it on a regular basis. Then you always have something to fall back on. I am now comfortable with several techniques, and now I am getting more into color variations vs. weather conditions. One other suggestion for you. If you are going after the game fish (crappie, bass, bluegills, etc) get out on the water right at first light. Seriously, I get there as the sun is coming up. Those first two hours are always the best for me. Like someone else said, start with a topwater lure while the water is still calm, then experiment with other lures. The other prime time is at dusk, from about 2 hours before sunset until dark. Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah ive really found that my best fishing is late in the afternoon personally. the bass are pretty active in the mornin but i like the afternoons best.i know fish dont go completely quiet in midday, any tips for different spots or lures to use for midday? i have a local place by my work that ive wanted to check out on my lunch break.......

Going fishing in Ontario for trophy Northern and Walleye in 4 weeks. I can't wait.  This is the 3rd year in a row for 4 of us diehards. When I say trophy, I mean TROPHY. Two years in a row we caught 42" northerns. We caught a Walleye 30" long 2 years ago, and the majority are over 22".

Add to great fishing the facts that we are the only cabin on the entire lake, plus Northern lights, plus moose and bear, plus beer, plus walleye recipes every night (I'm the cook) - can't beat it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awesome dude. id love to go on a guided fishing trip some day if it werent for the hefty prices. is this guided or a does one of your buddies own the cabin?

Going fishing in Ontario for trophy Northern and Walleye in 4 weeks. I can't wait.  This is the 3rd year in a row for 4 of us diehards. When I say trophy, I mean TROPHY. Two years in a row we caught 42" northerns. We caught a Walleye 30" long 2 years ago, and the majority are over 22".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This makes me jealous. Someday I will go on a trip like this.

The snook are on fire on the white sand beaches of the Florida gulf coast right now. Fish 5” jerk chads during the outgoing evening tides.

So Far:

Marlin

Mako Shark

Yellowfin (Ahi)

Bluefin

Dorado (Mahi Mahi)

Wahoo (Ono)

Albacore

Halibut

Salmon

Redfish

Ling Cod

Rock Cod

Surf Perch

Rainbow Trout

Brook Trout

Bass

Deep Sea

SF Bay

The Bayou

Lake

River

Steam

Ice

Fly

:fishing:

Dad just got a 1999, 22 1/2 foot Stratos with a 02' 200 HP Mercruiser. Fishing will become a hobby now. Selling our 24 foot Maxum recreation boat now. The Stratos is a lot more roomy and goes about 10 mph faster than the Maxum's inboard V6.

I'm thinking about heading out to a smaller lake tomorrow in search of largemouth bass. I heard that buzzbaits have been working well either early in the day or evening. Does anyone have any tips on using buzzbaits? Color suggestions? Size?

eoMMan said:
I'm thinking about heading out to a smaller lake tomorrow in search of largemouth bass. I heard that buzzbaits have been working well either early in the day or evening. Does anyone have any tips on using buzzbaits? Color suggestions? Size?
From my experience, almost anything works better in the early morning or just at dusk. That's when bass typically are most aggressive feeding. As far as buzzbaits go, the choppier the water, the bigger buzzbait you want. You need more action in choppier water to attract them. I use chartreuse, green, or metallic blue, but that's more to imitate sunfish colors.

eoMMan said:
From my experience, almost anything works better in the early morning or just at dusk. That's when bass typically are most aggressive feeding. As far as buzzbaits go, the choppier the water, the bigger buzzbait you want. You need more action in choppier water to attract them. I use chartreuse, green, or metallic blue, but that's more to imitate sunfish colors.
I looked on-line and thought I saw something about black working well, but the lake I'm going at does have a lot of sunnies.....maybe I'll go with chartreuse. Thanks.

TannerBoyle said:
eoMMan said:
Dynamite and a net down?
There's actually a redneck game on Comedy Central's website where you can catch fish with dynamite. If you're bored, it's kinda fun. :mellow:

This is one my buddy caught last week.
what the ---- is that? :shock:
Does his shirt say Bentrley?
ok. i like fishing but to go out in a matching shirt and visor that says berkley? (for you non fishing folks thats a big bait company)
He's a sales rep for Berkley, that's the reason for the get-up. The fish is a 40 inch Snook ,caught off Honymoon Island.

I just caught my first snook two Fridays ago. It was 37 inches caught in N.Tampa Bay, Oldmar/Safty Harbor area. I caught mine on a 5 inch watermelon Berkley Gulp Jerk Bait.

Just spent the past weekend in Luray, VA with the family fly-fishing the mighty Shenandoah. There was a period of about an hour each morning and evening where you would catch one every cast. Spent the rest of the day swimming and kayaking. It was a blast.

Just spent the past weekend in Luray, VA with the family fly-fishing the mighty Shenandoah. There was a period of about an hour each morning and evening where you would catch one every cast. Spent the rest of the day swimming and kayaking. It was a blast.
Catch one what?

Catch one what?
Smallmouth, crappie, bluegill... I didnt catch any trophies (nothing bigger than 12"), but it was still a lot of fun. Here is an action shot.

I went out this morning and caught a 16 inch pickerel on a yellow and green Mepp's in-line spinner. That's all I got. At least it's enough for lunch though.....

Pic of fish

Users who are viewing this thread