What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone here into fishing? (1 Viewer)

Just spent the past weekend in Luray, VA with the family fly-fishing the mighty Shenandoah. There was a period of about an hour each morning and evening where you would catch one every cast. Spent the rest of the day swimming and kayaking. It was a blast.
Catch one what?
Smallmouth, crappie, bluegill... I didnt catch any trophies (nothing bigger than 12"), but it was still a lot of fun. Here is an action shot.
I have never fly fished before. Looks like fun.

Doing some fishing down in the Shenandoah Valley next month for 4 days. Can't wait! Hoping to try local lakes and rivers. Anyone have any tips for fishing this late in the year for large and smallmouth, bluegill, crappie, catfish, n pike, and walleye? Lures, time of day, etc. TIA!

My FIL set up a fishing charter for this Saturday in Lake Erie (Walleye and Perch). I know I'm going to freeze my ### off, it was snowing here today.

I went out this morning and caught a 16 inch pickerel on a yellow and green Mepp's in-line spinner. That's all I got. At least it's enough for lunch though.....

Pic of fish
If you like fishing, then FL is the right place for you. Best of both worlds with Salt, and Fresh water. I prefer fresh water, because I have always lived on lakes. Nothing quite like catching a Bass on a top water lure, my favorite is the original Rebel Popper. June-Bug color size 7 worms work good everywhere. I use small little beattle spinners if I feel like screwing around and catching blue-gill.

Checking in from the left coast. Surprised not to see anyone posting from out here. Maybe it is becuase salmon season has been slow and runs are down? I personally have been out about 5 times and have nothing to show for it.

We are getting rain right now though and things should be picking up. Here is a link to my favorite local website, check it out (scroll down for recent reports/pics): http://www.fish-works.com/

It is almost ice fishing time here in Maine.

I used to commercial fish (rod and reel) for striped bass off Cape Cod and Westport, MA in the late 90's. I am new to Maine and the lakes just seem ginormous.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of those trout were caught on the San Juan River near Farmington, New Mexico.

No steelhead there, just rainbows.

One question for the group: Does anyone have any tips on bait casting?

I got a Shimano about a month ago, and while I landed a few large mouth, I really sucked at casting. Most people have told me it just takes time to learn, but as soon as you get the hang of it, you love it. Curious to hear any experiences.

TIA

One question for the group: Does anyone have any tips on bait casting? I got a Shimano about a month ago, and while I landed a few large mouth, I really sucked at casting. Most people have told me it just takes time to learn, but as soon as you get the hang of it, you love it. Curious to hear any experiences.TIA
Most people were right. It takes time and practice. It's a feel thing. Stick with it and you'll get it and then you'll think it's easy.

One question for the group: Does anyone have any tips on bait casting? I got a Shimano about a month ago, and while I landed a few large mouth, I really sucked at casting. Most people have told me it just takes time to learn, but as soon as you get the hang of it, you love it. Curious to hear any experiences.TIA
I have been intrigued with baitcast as well, but I don't want to dump a bunch of money on a combo and then not use it very much just because I'm not fluent with it. I learned to cast using closed face reels, and I can consistently hit a 3 foot circle from 50 feet or better, so I don't feel a pressing need to learn to use a baitcaster. I have also become more fluent with open face and fly reels lately, and these do what I need. Maybe someone can elaborate on why a baitcast is a good option. I have heard that they are good for flipping and pitching jigs.

My wife and her first Largemouth Bass.

Pic

Caught here in my friends backyard.
Does your friend stock his pond? Looks like a nice place to :goodposting: and :bowtie: !Great thread BTW!
He had it stocked a few years ago and the bass are in great shape, breading on their own. It's loaded with 2.5 pounders and a few 5+ He don't keep very many to eat, and I think the shear number of bass keep the size of them down.

It took a while to get the bluegill going because the bass kept eating them, but they are pretty good shape now.

Another question for the group:

My neighbor and I have discussed the following, please tell me if the idea has merit:

Submerge old Xmas trees in our lake/pond as a way to create a natural habitat for bass.

Many people have left their xmas trees at the curb for garbage pick-up this week, so we could get plenty of them pretty easily this weekend.

Questions for the scenario are:

1) Will this work? Will the fish adopt the trees as underwater homes?

2) How many trees would be needed? My property has ~180' shore line, if that matters...

3) Best way to weight them down? We were thinking cinder blocks...not sure if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks!

Another question for the group:My neighbor and I have discussed the following, please tell me if the idea has merit:Submerge old Xmas trees in our lake/pond as a way to create a natural habitat for bass. Many people have left their xmas trees at the curb for garbage pick-up this week, so we could get plenty of them pretty easily this weekend.Questions for the scenario are:1) Will this work? Will the fish adopt the trees as underwater homes?2) How many trees would be needed? My property has ~180' shore line, if that matters...3) Best way to weight them down? We were thinking cinder blocks...not sure if anyone has any better suggestions.Thanks!
Xmas trees are a common manufactured habitat for bass. I would recommend finding where your dropoffs are along the shore line and place them there. Fish love edges of things- edges of dropoffs, edges of light/darkness, edges of rockpiles or sand, edges of currents, etc. Use a depth finder or other method to find where the depth drops off steeply (5-7' in a short area) and place the trees there. Also if there is any other natural cover already around the area (submerged trees, docks, etc) you can place them close by and the fish will safer congregating in that area because of more cover. You can also clump a few Xmas trees together to get more fish centralized in one area. Cinder blocks are definitely a good way to weight them down. I have seen a DNR guy at one of my favorite lakes actually do something like this, so I know it works.

Xmas trees are a common manufactured habitat for bass. I would recommend finding where your dropoffs are along the shore line and place them there. Fish love edges of things- edges of dropoffs, edges of light/darkness, edges of rockpiles or sand, edges of currents, etc. Use a depth finder or other method to find where the depth drops off steeply (5-7' in a short area) and place the trees there. Also if there is any other natural cover already around the area (submerged trees, docks, etc) you can place them close by and the fish will safer congregating in that area because of more cover. You can also clump a few Xmas trees together to get more fish centralized in one area. Cinder blocks are definitely a good way to weight them down. I have seen a DNR guy at one of my favorite lakes actually do something like this, so I know it works.
Thanks! I'll follow your suggestions as best I can and let you know how it works.

I'm headed here www.eaglelakeislandlodge.com the first week of August. I have been to Canada 3 other times, the last being in 88. Those 3 times I fised a different lake system 30 to 40 miles east of this location, at http://www.northstarlodge.com/ . I am really apprehensive of the change since we always killed them at Clay Lake. It was called Clay Lake for the color of the water. Unlike most Canadian Lakes, when you stick your hand in the water here, you can't see it. Fishing was easy as the Walleyes were easily found in 7 to 10 feet of water. We would troll slowly to find them, then toss a marker, swing back around, and jig the area. Eagle Lake is clear water, and we will be there much later in the season. I figure we will be fishing much deeper and vertical jigging when we find them. The reason we made the switch was for Muskies. Eagle Lake held the record for quite some time, as it was only broken recently. I also believe it is the only Lake where two Muskies of over 65 inches have been caught, and it is widely held that it is where the next record will come from. I love Large Black and Red Bucktails when going for these toothy critters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm headed here..... http://www.eaglelakeislandlodge.com/........ the first week of August. I have been to Canada 3 other times, the last being in 88. Those 3 times I fised a different lake system 30 to 40 miles east of this location, at http://www.northstarlodge.com/ . I am really apprehensive of the change since we always killed them at Clay Lake. It was called Clay Lake for the color of the water. Unlike most Canadian Lakes, when you stick your hand in the water here, you can't see it. Fishing was easy as the Walleyes were easily found in 7 to 10 feet of water. We would troll slowly to find them, then toss a marker, swing back around, and jig the area. Eagle Lake is clear water, and we will be there much later in the season. I figure we will be fishing much deeper and vertical jigging when we find them. The reason we made the switch was for Muskies. Eagle Lake held the record for quite some time, as it was only broken recently. I also believe it is the only Lake where two Muskies of over 65 inches have been caught, and it is widely held that it is where the next record will come from. I love Large Black and Red Bucktails when going for these toothy critters.
Black surface bait w/ orange belly - kills them every time!! Walking the dog......walking the dog........Fish ON!

I'm headed here..... http://www.eaglelakeislandlodge.com/........ the first week of August. I have been to Canada 3 other times, the last being in 88. Those 3 times I fised a different lake system 30 to 40 miles east of this location, at http://www.northstarlodge.com/ . I am really apprehensive of the change since we always killed them at Clay Lake. It was called Clay Lake for the color of the water. Unlike most Canadian Lakes, when you stick your hand in the water here, you can't see it. Fishing was easy as the Walleyes were easily found in 7 to 10 feet of water. We would troll slowly to find them, then toss a marker, swing back around, and jig the area. Eagle Lake is clear water, and we will be there much later in the season. I figure we will be fishing much deeper and vertical jigging when we find them. The reason we made the switch was for Muskies. Eagle Lake held the record for quite some time, as it was only broken recently. I also believe it is the only Lake where two Muskies of over 65 inches have been caught, and it is widely held that it is where the next record will come from. I love Large Black and Red Bucktails when going for these toothy critters.
The first link in your post won't let me in to see where the lodge is at. Is it far north MN? I'm asking because I have been tasked with planning a fishing trip into southern/mid MN for 4 guys this summer. 3-4 nights, lodge type setting, with the open possibility of hiring a local guide for 1 day of the trip.

The first link in your post won't let me in to see where the lodge is at. Is it far north MN? I'm asking because I have been tasked with planning a fishing trip into southern/mid MN for 4 guys this summer. 3-4 nights, lodge type setting, with the open possibility of hiring a local guide for 1 day of the trip.
http://www.eaglelakeislandlodge.com/map.html

:thumbup: The galleries have some nice pics. That kid with the smallie :shrug: :suds:

:thumbup: The galleries have some nice pics. That kid with the smallie :shrug: :shrug:
I just want ONE of those, and my life will be complete! What a beauty!!!

Now THIS is a fish

"This Sturgeon was caught on the Willamette River just below Oregon City. It weighed over 1,000 lbs. and measured out at 11'1". It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours for the 4 guys taking turns reeling!

:thumbup:

Now THIS is a fish

"This Sturgeon was caught on the Willamette River just below Oregon City. It weighed over 1,000 lbs. and measured out at 11'1". It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours for the 4 guys taking turns reeling!

:hot:
I used to live in Oregon, up near the border of Oregon/Washington. I used to watch guys fish for sturgeon. I only saw one brought in, and it had to have been 6 foot long. My mouth was :unsure: I never talked to them, so I don't know what they did with those fish. I don't know if it's purely for sport, if they eat them, sell them, or what.

I just went to the Outdoor Show here in town and stocked up my tackel box for some Bass fishin. :pickle: Got me 5 new Crankbaits, as well as some Dominator Powe Wurms. I also got these custom Tubes called "Road Kill Camo" from this Bass Pro who swears by them. :unsure: He was wearing his members only jacket so I took his word for it. :wall: Any Bass buffs got any good tips?

I have my Canada trip planned for August (few threads up), and just got another off I can't refuse. I have always wanted to go fishin IN NY City. There is an awsome Bass lake right in the heart of the city. Surreal, for you have the Manhatten Skyline, always present. It is suppose to be a 2 to 4 pound bonanza. Of course the bait of choice is a top water mouse or rat. Seriously.........makes alot of sense. Anyway, I will spend 1 morning and evening topwater fishing, then take in the sites the rest of the trip.

A funny thing happened while snook fishing last night.

I caught four Gag Grouper in a by-pass canal. I was :unsure:

to find grouper in almost near complete fresh water.

pic

pic2

I fish in SW Louisiana

Best fishing per sq mile in teh US. They also say the Mouth of the mississippi has the most sharks per sq mile because of all the sea life there due to the nutriants coming in from all of the crops.

Holy Run On Sentence Batman.

We fish for redfish and flounder and trout. Catching 100 trout in a day down here is common, of course you can only keep so many. 20-30 miles offshore some awesome tuna fishing.

I fish in SW LouisianaBest fishing per sq mile in teh US. They also say the Mouth of the mississippi has the most sharks per sq mile because of all the sea life there due to the nutriants coming in from all of the crops.Holy Run On Sentence Batman.We fish for redfish and flounder and trout. Catching 100 trout in a day down here is common, of course you can only keep so many. 20-30 miles offshore some awesome tuna fishing.
Are they the speckeled sea trout?

I fish in SW LouisianaBest fishing per sq mile in teh US. They also say the Mouth of the mississippi has the most sharks per sq mile because of all the sea life there due to the nutriants coming in from all of the crops.Holy Run On Sentence Batman.We fish for redfish and flounder and trout. Catching 100 trout in a day down here is common, of course you can only keep so many. 20-30 miles offshore some awesome tuna fishing.
Are they the speckeled sea trout?
Yep. "Specks", "reds" and "flatties" ...The Chandelier Islands are (at least were before Katrina) an inshore saltwater fishing paradise ...

Users who are viewing this thread