What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone here into fishing? (1 Viewer)

Canadian border closing sucks. My first two Canadian fishing trips had to be canceled. ☹️

The first one we moved to Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota. Never fished it. Walleyes and Northern Pike. Anyone ever fished Sakakawea?
I haven't, but Jason Mitchell does a ton of his shows on there, and it's supposed to be awesome. I think it's more quantity of walleye over quality - that's all of North Dakota. You could probably find some info from Mitchell online somewhere telling you where to go this time of year. 

I've been going absolutely crazy missing the spring fishing season. My buddy and I are doing a cannonball-run-type surf fishing trip this weekend. Leaving tomorrow around 2:00pm, driving 4 hours to the coast, picking up $100 worth of fresh bait (curbside pickup) and staying on the beach until we run out of bait, or Sunday afternoon - whichever comes first. No hotel. Just gonna eat, drink, fish, sleep right there on the beach. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve right now.  :excited:
We arrived at our spot and setup at 7:00pm. The wind was absolutely honking (24mph). The water was all churned up and very dirty. Not good conditions at all. To make matters worse, the wind was blowing straight in our face from off the water. With water temps in the 50's, it felt like an arctic blast. By 10:00pm I was wearing every piece of clothing I had brought. Luckily, I had thrown in a rain-jacket "just in case". I would've been miserable without the outer shell to help with the wind. The fisting was terrible. Nothing but skates and seaweed. Finally gave up around 2:30am and crawled into my mummy sleeping bag. Zippered the whole thing over my head so I was in a cacoon. It was heavenly. Until the alarm went off at 5:30am. 

Crawled out of my bag and there were already people parked next to us and setting up.  :lmao:   Made some coffee and we started all over again. The wind had laid down considerably by morning and it was looking like a beautiful day. By mid-morning, it was beer-30 and I was down to shorts and a t-shirt. The sun was shining and you could literally see the water cleaning up in front of your eyes. It was glorious. By the afternoon, we started catching a few short stripers. Finally, around 6:00pm, with only 5-6 sets of bait left, my rod bent over and the fight was on!  :excited:

Epic surf fishing video - 17lb black drum

Just what the doctor ordered!

We arrived at our spot and setup at 7:00pm. The wind was absolutely honking (24mph). The water was all churned up and very dirty. Not good conditions at all......The fisting was terrible. Nothing but skates and seaweed. Finally gave up around 2:30am and crawled into my mummy sleeping bag. 
NTTAWWT 

Also, nice video and fish!

Last edited by a moderator:
We arrived at our spot and setup at 7:00pm. The wind was absolutely honking (24mph). The water was all churned up and very dirty. Not good conditions at all. To make matters worse, the wind was blowing straight in our face from off the water. With water temps in the 50's, it felt like an arctic blast. By 10:00pm I was wearing every piece of clothing I had brought. Luckily, I had thrown in a rain-jacket "just in case". I would've been miserable without the outer shell to help with the wind. The fisting was terrible. Nothing but skates and seaweed. Finally gave up around 2:30am and crawled into my mummy sleeping bag. Zippered the whole thing over my head so I was in a cacoon. It was heavenly. Until the alarm went off at 5:30am. 

Crawled out of my bag and there were already people parked next to us and setting up.  :lmao:   Made some coffee and we started all over again. The wind had laid down considerably by morning and it was looking like a beautiful day. By mid-morning, it was beer-30 and I was down to shorts and a t-shirt. The sun was shining and you could literally see the water cleaning up in front of your eyes. It was glorious. By the afternoon, we started catching a few short stripers. Finally, around 6:00pm, with only 5-6 sets of bait left, my rod bent over and the fight was on!  :excited:

Nice!

What kind of camera did you use? That looked nice and sharp and clean. Well done.

ChiefD said:

Nice!

What kind of camera did you use? That looked nice and sharp and clean. Well done.
Great lead in story. Then the movie. Wow! Absolutely compelling! I loved every second of it. I want to see it on the Big Screen! The music. Everything. Just fabulous! 🥤🍿😃

Best post in the thread. So cool. 🇺🇸

Does anyone have any advice on a rod/reel for a newbie who would fish on a fresh water lake in a couple weeks? Catch and release.

Myself and some teenage kids of mine. I figure I’d pick up two sets. Thanks for any advice you may have!

ETA: fishing off a bridge or from a pontoon.

Very nice. Is that in N. FL near Fernandina Beach?

Getting a little stressed about our yearly Alaska fishing trip - right now anyone going to Alaska needs to be quarantined for 14 days. Our trip is at the very end of July, so hopefully they don't start seeing an increase in numbers 🙏

Went out today on a local charter...it was supposed to be a 10 hour but the weather forced us to make it an 8 hour...we limited on Red Snapper, and also brought home several Red Grouper, mangrove Snapper, and Lane Snapper. Great day on the water, we didn't get rained on at all and barely beat the storms to the dock.

The haul

Box o fish
Nice love those Lane's.

They just re-opened charters here in the Bay Area, it's been years since I've been out but may have to book a trip here soon.  Just looked up the fishing report, a charter went out of SF yesterday and brought back 32 King Salmon up to 23 pounds for 16 anglers.  Sounds good to me.

Wingnut said:
Went out today on a local charter...it was supposed to be a 10 hour but the weather forced us to make it an 8 hour...we limited on Red Snapper, and also brought home several Red Grouper, mangrove Snapper, and Lane Snapper. Great day on the water, we didn't get rained on at all and barely beat the storms to the dock.

The haul

Box o fish
You know of an inshore charter that you would reccomend?

i always thought fishing/hunting was just an excuse to get away from the family and get drunk with the boys.

you guys actually care about this.

have you ever tried disc golfing?

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
i always thought fishing/hunting was just an excuse to get away from the family and get drunk with the boys.

you guys actually care about this.

have you ever tried disc golfing?
There's something very primal about killing and eating your food. It's hard to explain until you do it.

We fish Alaska every year and have plenty of salmon and halibut all year. After 7 years of doing this, I still feel a sense of pride when I take a salmon filet from the freezer to cook up, knowing I caught it.

There's something very primal about killing and eating your food. It's hard to explain until you do it.

We fish Alaska every year and have plenty of salmon and halibut all year. After 7 years of doing this, I still feel a sense of pride when I take a salmon filet from the freezer to cook up, knowing I caught it.
What if you don't like fish?   :lol:

Canadian border closing sucks. My first two Canadian fishing trips had to be canceled. ☹️

The first one we moved to Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota. Never fished it. Walleyes and Northern Pike. Anyone ever fished Sakakawea?
I've had a small cabin on Lake Sak. for 20 years.  New Town area.  Walleye fishing turning on now.  Van Hook, Pouch Bay area which are close to New Town ND.  Really good guide out of New Town if your interested.

Hunt what you like. Deer, Elk, Moose, Hog, Gator, Ducks, Doves, Rabbits, Sneks, Nutria, Bear, Turkey, the choices are endless.
Our chest freezer is full of venison every year; we never buy beef.

The quarantine has upped our venison consumption quite a bit to the point we're going to run out of venison for the first time in ages.  It's going to be weird buying/eating beef at home.

I am fishing everyday this week, and some days multiple times.

My dad is visiting from Denver.

Saturday and Sunday we went bass fishing. Yesterday we went inshore fishing. We are about to take the kids for bluegill, but later today we will bass fish again. Tomorrow will be more inshore fishing.

We are undecided for the rest of the week.

I've had a small cabin on Lake Sak. for 20 years.  New Town area.  Walleye fishing turning on now.  Van Hook, Pouch Bay area which are close to New Town ND.  Really good guide out of New Town if your interested.
Even Van Hook was pretty slow when we were there. Water was just warming up. About 56f when we arrived and 60-61f when we left. Pepsi flats was very slow. Some shallow canals early in the week were ok but nothing great. Just too early In the season before fish moved in with numbers and started feeding. I can see it being solid in July as most good fishing lakes are. As you mentioned, it’s already better now than when we were there.

We still caught fish, had two fish frys and each brought home 3-4 walleyes.

Two guys caught eight different species which is always fun.

Heading to Big St. Germain lake (WI) for some musky fishing next week.  Not the best moon phases and they've had some high temps there too.  If weather reports hold it looks like some good fronts will be coming through midweek.  

They just re-opened charters here in the Bay Area, it's been years since I've been out but may have to book a trip here soon.  Just looked up the fishing report, a charter went out of SF yesterday and brought back 32 King Salmon up to 23 pounds for 16 anglers.  Sounds good to me.
They are pulling monsters out still up here. 
@kutta It doesn’t look good for you trip, sorry gb.

Heading to Big St. Germain lake (WI) for some musky fishing next week.  Not the best moon phases and they've had some high temps there too.  If weather reports hold it looks like some good fronts will be coming through midweek.  
Sweet. 

Love me some musky fishing. I'll be in Wisconsin floating the Wisconsin River here in about a month. We usually get into some nice smallies, musky, and sturgeon. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Sweet. 

Love me some musky fishing. I'll be in Wisconsin floating the Wisconsin River here in about a month. We usually get into some nice smallies, musky, and sturgeon. 
Wausau area of the river, am I remembering this right?

• Smile
Wausau area of the river, am I remembering this right?
You are correct.  :thumbup:

Been warm up there too. Need the temps to cool off a bit in the next month. Would also be nice for the rain to stop. River is high right now and really need it to settle down some. 

• Smile
They are pulling monsters out still up here. 
@kutta It doesn’t look good for you trip, sorry gb.
No it doesn't. We just cancelled it. I'm so bummed, but the logistics were just getting to be too much.

But, we are thinking of maybe doing a California trip - you fish for King Salmon from the Bay area?

You are correct.  :thumbup:

Been warm up there too. Need the temps to cool off a bit in the next month. Would also be nice for the rain to stop. River is high right now and really need it to settle down some. 
I haven't fished any sections of of it between St. Germain and Eagle River yet.  Was thinking of trying it next week.  Maybe from a kayak, but if the river is high or moving fast I'll just go from shore or find a rock to stand on.   

I'm going to try and get over to the Flambeau River just south of the dam for some smallie, musky, sturgeon action in September.  

I haven't fished any sections of of it between St. Germain and Eagle River yet.  Was thinking of trying it next week.  Maybe from a kayak, but if the river is high or moving fast I'll just go from shore or find a rock to stand on.   

I'm going to try and get over to the Flambeau River just south of the dam for some smallie, musky, sturgeon action in September.  
That area up there looks like an awesome place to fish. So many possibilities. 

We have a blast when we head up. We just float the river all day and anchor in the deep pools. We'll jig crawlers on the bottom and catch nice 15 - 20" smallies. We'll also catch a sucker or two and throw them under a bobber and let them do the muskie fishing for us. 

Every once in awhile we will cast a lure, but I've caught most of my muskie on a sucker. 

• Smile

We have a blast when we head up. We just float the river all day and anchor in the deep pools. We'll jig crawlers on the bottom and catch nice 15 - 20" smallies. We'll also catch a sucker or two and throw them under a bobber and let them do the muskie fishing for us. 

Every once in awhile we will cast a lure, but I've caught most of my muskie on a sucker. 
Oh yea, I always float a sucker as long as I can find a bait shop that has them.  I'll get some follows from casting, then the sucker rod gets hit.  Even if I'm jigging for crappie or something else too, always float a sucker.    

Up and at 'em for the annual trip to Wisconsin. Taking my 12 year old son as a birthday present - he turns 13 in November.

Goal #1 is to get him a muskie. River is dropping and conditions look pretty good.

Been a great 3 week run on the Caney Fork.

Started 3 weeks ago as we hit an old spot we had not fished in a while.  After a slow start...water down nicely...we hit a spot at the location and there are just fish everywhere.  Takes a while to see them get active...then maybe 15 feet in front of me is a very nice sized fish.  Water super clear that day...but a windy day too.  2 of us threw near the big guy a few times and he seemed very disinterested in anything we had.   So as Im watching my line about 5 feet down river from the fish, I see the line jerk and out of the corner of my eye the fish move quickly and I realized I actually hooked the thing.  Brought him in...the downside is he was not much of a fight.  Upside, one of the bigger rainbow trout we have pulled from that river in a long long time and probably my biggest ever out of this river...this is 4 lb test on little ultralight rods...even the smaller ones are fun (and have been the ones putting up more of a fight...we think some of these big ones are old breeding fish they have released)

Nice Rainbow

One of the guys I was with caught one a bit smaller and leaner than that later in the day...other guy (who got us into fishing and usually catches more) didn't have the luck that day...but has caught a nice sized fish each of the last 2 weeks.

Last 2 weeks have been tougher as the water has taken longer to drop after generation...and the fish haven't been as active and getting to the usual spots has been harder.  This past week was a rough one for me.   Nothing seemed to be biting that day for me and one of the other guys...then he caught a decent brown.  One of the first bites I do get was fighting very good...and I saw the body flash...Id say another 20-22" rainbow...after a nice fight he somehow got off the hook.  Not broke the line...but just didn't set the hook right.  Crazy as much as he fought that he was able to do that as I would have thought I had it hooked pretty well for a while.  Caught a couple smaller fish later...but that one will haunt me a while.

Users who are viewing this thread