What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL1 Post Draft Analysis (1 Viewer)

Capt Hook

Footballguy
While I entered the draft not in love with the five hole, I was hoping to see how well I could do from a difficult (at least this year) draft position. I think the team will be competitive, but will need luck to get to the final four.

QB - Frye (6) and McNair (7)

RB - Cadillac (4), Jamal Lewis (7), Moats (9), J. Harrison (6), B. Jacobs (4)

WR - Fitzgerald (9), Branch (6), Burleson (5), Randle El (8), Gaffney (9), Roby (7)

TE - Cooley (8)

K - Wilkins (7) and Lindell (8)

DST - NY Giants (4) and DET Lions (8)

Obviously I drafted McNair presuming he plays with the Ravens this year - if so I think I have two decent qbs who should put up average+ numbers each week. I wanted to draft Boller as a backup for the oft injured McNair, but couldn't justify the spot and didn't want to go with only one K or DST.

I think the RB are okay - better if Jamal is really back or if Harrison emerges late in Cleveland (he has very little competition as Droughns backup as Green and Suggs have repeatedly proved).

I think the WR will be the strength of this team. Fitzgerald is the nuts and Branch is improved and may add some more this year. I think Burleson is underrated in Seattle and will be WR2 there (not Engram) if not WR1 - DJax had another surgery on those knees this offseason. Randle El, Gaffney and Roby should provide more than enough bye week protection and each will likely have at least one or two games where they score. The Redskins didn't dole out that kind of money for a WR3. Cooley with expanded use by Saunders may well go from top 10 to top 5 TE this year. I wanted to back him up with a still undrafted rookie who I think will surprise, but in the end decided his week 8 bye was not a big deal and couldn't see adding a second TE who might score only in week 8 and another week while Roby would be more helpful

Two Kickers and DST without bye conflicts are what they are (although I think the Giants DST is vastly underrated this year especially with S. Moss on return teams)

Overall - okay but not great - I would give it a B- but its the type of team that I would not be surprised to see last quite a while.

Two players I'm surprised no one took a chance on:

QB Kyle Boller

TE Eric Johnson

Lots of things could happen to keep Boller the starter in Baltimore. And have you seen how bad the San Fran WR corps is? I'm sure that they will run lots of 2-TE sets, and the guy was a top-ten TE just two years ago.

QB - Frye (6) and McNair (7)
I looked at this Quickly and 1 thing popped out at me......Very shaky at QB IMO..... Those aren't 2 established passing offenses in the least.

One thing I do when I look at someone's draft is try to go along and guess when they drafted each player....

I was going along fine - Actually Had Cooley and Branch switched and then BAM!!!!

Charlie Frye 6.12 :excited:

He went 8.11 8.16 and 9.01 In the other drafts....

You lost a lot of value in the 6th round and I think you could have definitely used RB (White - Maroney?) and or WR depth with that pick and STILL got Frye later.....

An antsports Average draft list might have helped you out :P

*** Edit to add - looking at that draft, QB's seemed to fly off the board more so than the other SSL's.... But, still Frye?

Last edited by a moderator:
my team is awesome

seriously

QB Jake Plummer - 4

QB David Carr - 5

RB Rudi Johnson - 5

RB Kevan Barlow - 7

RB Cedric Houston - 9

RB Ladell Betts - 8

RB Verron Haynes - 4

WR Steve Smith - 9

WR Plaxico Burress - 4

WR Lee Evans - 8

WR Joe Jurevicius - 6

WR Santonio Holmes - 4

WR Greg Lewis - 9

TE Todd Heap - 7

TE Alex Smith - 4

PK Ryan Longwell - 6

DEF Dallas Cowboys - 3

DEF Buffalo Bills - 8

my team is awesome

seriously

QB Jake Plummer - 4

QB David Carr - 5

RB Rudi Johnson - 5

RB Kevan Barlow - 7

RB Cedric Houston - 9

RB Ladell Betts - 8

RB Verron Haynes - 4

WR Steve Smith - 9

WR Plaxico Burress - 4

WR Lee Evans - 8

WR Joe Jurevicius - 6

WR Santonio Holmes - 4

WR Greg Lewis - 9

TE Todd Heap - 7

TE Alex Smith - 4

PK Ryan Longwell - 6

DEF Dallas Cowboys - 3

DEF Buffalo Bills - 8
:no: I'm happy with mine (in my sig).

Donovan McNabb, QB4, PHL

Drew Brees, QB15, NO

Rueben Droughns, RB16, CLE

Chester Taylor, RB13, MIN

DeAngelo Williams, RB33, CAR

Laurence Maroney, RB41, NE

Santana Moss, WR14, WAS

Terry Glenn, WR33, DAL

Matt Jones, WR47, JAX

Bobby Engram, WR50, SEA

Reche Caldwell, WR78, NE

Marcus Pollard, TE23, DET

Steve Heiden, TE24, CLE

Leonard Pope, TE, AZ

Mike Vanderjagt, PK4, DAL

Kris Brown, PK, HOU

Cleveland Browns, DST18

Arizona Cardinals, DST20

Impossible to evaluate my team without noting that the bolded players above all share a week 6 bye. Fortunately, week 6 has six teams on bye, including Indy, New England, Minnesota and Green Bay, so scores that week should be lower across the board. But I will only have one RB, three WRs, and one D that week.

It's a gamble. If I go out in week 6, I'll dip down to SSL2, so it's a fairly big gamble at that. But if I don't, I think this team will get stronger as the season goes on, and will be very difficult to beat.

McNabb was good before Owens. He won't be 2004 McNabb, but I would take 2000-2003 McNabb, and his receivers are better now than they were. I like Brees this year; he was good in San Diego with receivers who aren't nearly as good as what he has in NO. I would give me QBs an A-.

It's hard to get good running backs at the bottom of the first, and I took Taylor earlier than most (1.10 instead of 2.3 - 2.8 in the other leagues). But I feel very fortunate to have landed both Williams and Maroney in the middle rounds - I think both are going to be very good this year, and will get stronger as the season goes on. This may be the strongest RB corps I've had in a survivor league. A.

Unfortunately, that left me weak at WR. Santana Moss won't repeat last year's performance. I don't think he'll completely drop off, but I think he'll dip. Hard to be excited about him as a WR1. Glenn could be good again if he can stay healthy, and if Owens doesn't impact his numbers too much. Still, I find it hard to rely on him every week - like Moss, he may be more of an occasional big weeks guy than an every week scorer. Matt Jones got some positive news with Smith's retirement, but he's still a raw second year player with less than 500 career yards. Engram, however, could be a steal. I'm thrilled to have gotten him late. I don't expect much from Caldwell at all and only added him for depth. If he contributes, it will be a pleasant surprise. D.

My extravagance at RB left me scrambling for WRs, which in turn kept me from taking a TE early. Fortunately, TE seems to be getting deeper as more teams are using their TE to create more matchup problems. Between Pollard, who has an improved QB situation, Heiden, who had a surprising number of receptions last year, and Pope, I think I made out OK considering I didn't take my first TE until the 11th round. B-.

Normally I don't have a lot to say about kickers. But I'm high on my combination of Vanderjagt and Brown. Dallas has needed a kicker for so long. With a good defense and a passing game that can pick up yards in gulps, I think they'll have a lot of opportunities, which could be huge with Vanderjagt's accuracy. Brown, on the other hand, should benefit from the improvement in the Houston offense. Moulds may not be a stud anymore, but he's a huge upgrade over Gaffney and co., and he's a great complement to Johnson. I expect that offense to do well, and Brown to benefit. A-

I didn't take a stud D, but I think Cleveland's going to be an excellent D in their second year with Crennel, and the addition of a veteran who knows the system in McGinest. Arizona is a hit of miss D in normal leagues, but is huge as a backup D in this format. Happy with what I have. B.

Overall grade: If they go out week 6, F. If they last past week 6, B+. There's really no middle ground.

QB Kyle Boller

TE Eric Johnson

Lots of things could happen to keep Boller the starter in Baltimore. And have you seen how bad the San Fran WR corps is? I'm sure that they will run lots of 2-TE sets, and the guy was a top-ten TE just two years ago.
Easy. Boller status is in jeopardy as McNair may end up in Balt. He will get traded for dropped before the date salary cap kicks in (whatever day that is). As for Eric Johnson, I think his opportunity went down hill when they drafted Vernon Davis simply for these 2 facts: Eric is a better blocker, Vernon Davis is a better catcher.

QB Kyle Boller

TE Eric Johnson

funny you mentioned this Ab I took them both in SSL4..i have McNair and EJ is my back up to Gonzo..yes you are right SF will play both TE's on the field a lot this year and will likely spread Davis out more on passing plays while EJ plays more inside at natural TE..Nolan has said his best receivers from the WR-Te corps will all be on the field at the same time when passing..

QB Kyle Boller

TE Eric Johnson

Lots of things could happen to keep Boller the starter in Baltimore.  And have you seen how bad the San Fran WR corps is?  I'm sure that they will run lots of 2-TE sets, and the guy was a top-ten TE just two years ago.
Easy. Boller status is in jeopardy as McNair may end up in Balt. He will get traded for dropped before the date salary cap kicks in (whatever day that is). As for Eric Johnson, I think his opportunity went down hill when they drafted Vernon Davis simply for these 2 facts: Eric is a better blocker, Vernon Davis is a better catcher.
Boller drope3d? I frist round pick form four years ago...no way that happens..back up or traded only..likely the back up tho for sure./ Both Te's will play in SF..or maybe EJ gets traded but I doubt it..he can play well when healthy and he is 100% right now

QB Kyle Boller

TE Eric Johnson

Lots of things could happen to keep Boller the starter in Baltimore.  And have you seen how bad the San Fran WR corps is?  I'm sure that they will run lots of 2-TE sets, and the guy was a top-ten TE just two years ago.
ha..logged in to give poor Dougy Flutie another vote for the FOOBALL players HOF..lolBoller drope3d? I frist round pick form four years ago...no way that happens..back up or traded only..likely the back up tho for sure./ Both Te's will play in SF..or maybe EJ gets traded but I doubt it..he can play well when healthy and he is 100% right now

honestly, I've never felt better about one of my SSL or MBSL squads then I do about this one.

of course that probably means I'll be eliminated week 1 though.

honestly, I've never felt better about one of my SSL or MBSL squads then I do about this one.

of course that probably means I'll be eliminated week 1 though.
Your WRs rock. Your achilles heel is, without a doubt, your RBs. We'll see how it plays out.

Despite passing on RB's the 1st couple rounds, I'm pretty happy with my starters elsewhere.

QB Brett Favre (6.05, b6), Alex Smith (9.12, b7)

I need Favre to be himself to survive at QB, he did OK pointswise without Walker last year, so I think I'll be OK. Backup QB is where I really gambled, but QB's were gobbled up so quick in this league that I sought value elsewhere. I hope to see some year 2 growth out of Alex Smith certainly a risk, but it is what it is.

RB DeShaun Foster (3.12, b9), Domanic Rhodes (4.05, b6), Marion Barber III (8.05, b3), Vernand Morency (14.05, b5)

For bypassing RB's for the 1st 2 rounds, I think I've done OK. All 4 have very good upside, particularly Barber. Maybe I'll break the curse and survive a while despite not taking a RB in rounds 1 or 2. I think my team has the depth to do it.

WR Terrell Owens (2.05, b3), Rod Smith (5.12, b4), Muhsin Muhammad (7.12, b7), Chad Jackson (13.12, b6), Peerless Price (15.12, b8), Keary Colbert (17.12, b9)

I love my starting 3 WR's, and Chad Jackson as a #4 could be gold as well. Price is a gamble as a WR 5, but it was the 15th rd. Levy and Jauron must think they can return him to form, seeing as they gave him a 4 year $10 million deal. For a WR5, it was worth the gamble. As for my WR 6, Colbert had a great rookie season, terrible sophamore one, but had an injury that may have played a part which was recently resolved with surgery. I think he's better suited as a slot WR3, and IMO Keyshawn will help his numbers, not hurt them. I won't be at all surprised if he's in my top 3 WR's for a couple weeks at some point this season.

TE Antonio Gates (1.12, b3), Marcedes Lewis (11.12, b6)

The best in SSL1, hands down, the strength of my team.

K Neil Rackers (10.05, b9), Josh Scobee (18.05, b6)

Ditto my TE's comment. Rackers numbers will likely decrease some, but combined with Scobee (who was a big 18th rd value IMO) I expect very good and consistent points from the K position.

DT Carolina Panthers (12.05, b9), Minnesota Vikings (16.05, b6)

2 aggressive D's with good ability to turn the ball over and/or get to the QB. They're also both in divisions that have shaky offenses opposite them.

This team was an experiment, I didn't like the 12 spot for the RB value, so gambled on Gates and TO in rds 1 and 2, despite the fact they shared a week 3 bye (which I think I covered OK). My RB's and QB's could be my achilles, but just as easily can be solid producers.

I've done well in SSL1 the last couple years (2nd last year, 1st in '04), and didn't go RB RB either year. This year I really gambled there, we'll see if it kills me or not.

I suspect many will feel I'll be out by week 3, but I think I can make it to at least week 6, and probably further than that if I can dodge the bullet of week 6 byes where I lose 2 starters and 4 backups... all at different positions however. One thing you will note about my team, however, is that I didn't duplicate byes within a position, thus never lose more than 1 player at any particular position any given week (barring injury).

I'm looking forward to reading the critique on my draft, I know I made some mistakes, but I think for the most part, I recoverd OK.

As for my WR 6, Colbert had a great rookie season, terrible sophamore one, but had an injury that may have played a part which was recently resolved with surgery. I think he's better suited as a slot WR3, and IMO Keyshawn will help his numbers, not hurt them. I won't be at all surprised if he's in my top 3 WR's for a couple weeks at some point this season.
I like you guys so I'll nip this in the bud now. When you think of an ideal slot WR, do you think of a guy that's slow, can't get separation, and has bad hands or do you think of a guy that's faster then Steve Smith, who can create separation, and who has been torching Lucas and Gamble in practice. Colbert's best attribute is his ability to draw pass interference penalties because the DBs are always around him...we haven't added that as scoring category.

Drinking the Cedric Houston kool-aid already?
not really. my RBs are an issue, but I think Rudi Johnson is very safe and consistent. at RB2, I have 4 players who can contribute on any given week with no by week duplication.I think my QBs, WRs, TEs are all above average with the potential for some big points at WR with 4 guys who are the #1 WRs on their teams.

From 3d position:

r6 Abrecher/Valence - Phillip Rivers, QB21, SD 3

r7 Abrecher/Valence - Mark Brunell, QB23, WAS 8

r1 Abrecher/Valence - Shaun Alexander, RB3, SEA 5

r4 Abrecher/Valence - Curtis Martin, RB32, NYJ 9

r9 Abrecher/Valence - Mike Anderson, RB46, BAL 7

r10 Abrecher/Valence - Duce Staley, RB50, PIT 4

r2 Abrecher/Valence - Randy Moss, WR7, OAK 3

r3 Abrecher/Valence - Darrel Jackson, WR10, SEA 5

r8 Abrecher/Valence - Antonio Bryant, WR39, SF 7

r11 Abrecher/Valence - Justin McCareins, WR60, NYJ 9

r13 Abrecher/Valence - Dennis Northcutt, WR73, CLE 6

r18 Abrecher/Valence - Todd Pinkston, WR91, PHL

r5 Abrecher/Valence - Randy McMichael, TE8, MIA 8

r12 Abrecher/Valence - Bubba Franks, TE25, GB 6

r15 Abrecher/Valence - Shayne Graham, PK7, CIN 5

r17 Abrecher/Valence - Nate Kaeding, PK16, SD 3

r14 Abrecher/Valence - Atlanta Falcons, DST14 5

r16 Abrecher/Valence - New York Jets, DST27 9

Strategy:

- With all of the RBBC and unclear situations throughout the league, there wasn't enough value to take my RB2 at the 2/3 bend. So I grabbed two top WRs, and I still ended up with a clear starting RB with an improving OL (and unimpressive backups) at round 4. Unfortunately, none of the RB3s I'd targeted at the 8/9 bend made it to my pick, so I took a RB4 a little earlier than I might have. Anderson and Staley are both old, but I see them each getting about 30-40% of their team's RB touches -- more if the mileage is catching up to Jamal Lewis, as I expect, or if Willie Parker can't carry a bigger load.

- As usual, this is a good year to wait on QBs. I will probably have Philip Rivers on all of my teams this year -- I see him matching Brees' production at a minimum, giving me top 12-15 QB talent at an ADP of QB20-22. And as I've said in the Shark Pool, Gibbs will not bench Brunell unless he has absolutely no choice. He put up good numbers in 2005, and now adds two legitimate WRs behind Moss and an OC who turned a journeyman like Trent Green into a top-five fantasy QB.

- It's no accident that I have players from SF, MIA, and CLE. I've found that teams hiring new coaches don't make a big leap until their second year. I also targeted NYJ and NO as buy-low teams - they had everything go wrong from them last year, and can't help but improve in 2006. Was not planning for three Jets and zero Saints, though.

- Looking at last year's SSL drafts, the last 5-10 Ds drafted were as likely to be in the top half of D scoring as in the bottom. It's just too early in the yer to predict D performace. So I didn't see the need to draft Ds too early.

- It's no accident that I have players from SF, MIA, and CLE.  I've found that teams hiring new coaches don't make a big leap until their second year.  I also targeted NYJ and NO as buy-low teams - they had everything go wrong from them last year, and can't help but improve in 2006. 
I agree with the year 2 buy low theory, especially in situations with developing QBs like Frye and Smith. With the QB situation unsettled in MIA I'm hesitant to draft many Dolphins...their stock is already quite high as it is.

QB-Delhomme(9),Grossman(7),Griese(7)

RB-James(9),Taylor(6),Gado(6),Norwood(5)

WR Holt(7),Ward(4),Moulds(5),M.Williams(8),Parker(3),Henderson(7)

TE-Davis(7),Jolley(9)

K-SeaBass(3)

DEF-Denver(4),Cinn.(5)

Qb-- i think i have pretty good value with delhomme, i know they like to run the ball but over the last couple of years the passing game has really taken a step up, hope that continues. waited a little too late on QB2 so i have to settle with grossman/griese, but they have some good WRs up there just would like to see them used more.

Grade-- B

RB-- like several others in the draft RBs flew off the board and we decided to go a different direction. james will be the decider for me, i know he is not like very well by some this year but i think he will put up resonable #s. taylor well what new can be said about him, just stay healthy, please. gado, i think it wil be RBBC in G.B. and when i drafted him that was all i expected(RD8). norwood is a flier-they don't like duckett and dunn is getting older---maybe a week or 2 out of him.

Grade--B-

WR-rounds 2/3 brought me holt/ward which are as good a combo as you will find. then throw in m.williams, moulds,parker,henderson i should be able to get a good starter out of those every week.

Grade--A

TE-if vernon davis lives up to the hype..i'm ok, got jolley as a bye week filler.

Grade--C+

K- went with only one but an early bye week.

Grade--C-

D-den./cin. should be good scorers in this format.

Grade--B+

i like the team, if i can work around a bye week issue in week 9(saying of course i make it to week 9) should make a few more weeks. this team will make or break on if and when those RB2,3,4 preform..... although i have done well here with only 1 RB.

Overall Grade--B- but with potential ...........but i suppose all could say that about their teams.

as a side note----this is the 1st draft i've done this year with respect to the bye weeks. and after this adventure i think we can all say that drafting this year is gonna be harder with the extreme issues that week 6 and 7 present. not only the 12 teams that are off but some big studs. there is several other weeks that are bears as well.

really enjoyed the the draft and best of luck to all......well you know what i mean.

my team is awesome

seriously

QB Jake Plummer - 4

QB David Carr - 5

RB Rudi Johnson - 5

RB Kevan Barlow - 7

RB Cedric Houston - 9

RB Ladell Betts - 8

RB Verron Haynes - 4

WR Steve Smith - 9

WR Plaxico Burress - 4

WR Lee Evans - 8

WR Joe Jurevicius - 6

WR Santonio Holmes - 4

WR Greg Lewis - 9

TE Todd Heap - 7

TE Alex Smith - 4

PK Ryan Longwell - 6

DEF Dallas Cowboys - 3

DEF Buffalo Bills - 8
No concerns about 1 kicker with a Week 6 bye to boot? 5 RBs seems like 1 too many, but other than that does look liek a good squad.Then again, bostonfred's going to be hurting in Week 6 - so maybe not so bad.

Solid team Ruds. Without looking at the draft, was Alex Smith the best choice as TE2? That looks to be a slight weakness. Also no studly QB - I don't think your QBs get more than 1 week of 3+TDs all season - if that.

No concerns about 1 kicker with a Week 6 bye to boot?  5 RBs seems like 1 too many, but other than that does look liek a good squad.

Then again, bostonfred's going to be hurting in Week 6 - so maybe not so bad.

Solid team Ruds.  Without looking at the draft, was Alex Smith the best choice as TE2?  That looks to be a slight weakness.  Also no studly QB - I don't think your QBs get more than 1 week of 3+TDs all season - if that.
kickers score very few points in this league, but I think Longwell will be pretty consistent. week 6 is also one of the best times to have him on bye since there are 6 NFL teams on bye that week and a lot of teams will be weakened.I probably waited longer than anyone to draft my RB2 so I decided to go with 5 at that position. There were a few good ones left with my last pick but Haynes could be a SOD if he takes over the Bettis role and keeps 3rd down duties. He passed Staley last year, IMO. I took him over Cedric Cobbs who could also pay off big this year, but I preferred to get a player who should contribute points nearly every week.

Alex Smith was the 18th TE drafted. Zach Hilton and Erron Kinney were the next two drafted but they both share a bye week with my TE1 Todd Heap. No idea why you'd think Alex Smith is a weakness though. He finished his rookie year as the #20 ranked TE and I have him ranked #19 for this year. That's a very strong backup in a 16-team league if you ask me.

You don't really need "studly" QBs in these leagues, you just need consistency. Plummer was the #11 QB last year and added Javon Walker. David Carr was the #18 QB last year and added Eric Moulds, Jeb Putzier, Gary Kubiak, Mike Sherman, etc. Having two top-20 QBs should be plenty strong for a 16-team league, and both of them have not missed a start in the past 2 years. Additionally, Plummer only had 4 games last year without at least a single TD pass (including a meaningless game in week 17). Carr only had 5 games without a single TD pass (including week 17 when he left early with an injury).

No concerns about 1 kicker with a Week 6 bye to boot? 5 RBs seems like 1 too many, but other than that does look liek a good squad.

Then again, bostonfred's going to be hurting in Week 6 - so maybe not so bad.

Solid team Ruds. Without looking at the draft, was Alex Smith the best choice as TE2? That looks to be a slight weakness. Also no studly QB - I don't think your QBs get more than 1 week of 3+TDs all season - if that.
kickers score very few points in this league, but I think Longwell will be pretty consistent. week 6 is also one of the best times to have him on bye since there are 6 NFL teams on bye that week and a lot of teams will be weakened.I probably waited longer than anyone to draft my RB2 so I decided to go with 5 at that position. There were a few good ones left with my last pick but Haynes could be a SOD if he takes over the Bettis role and keeps 3rd down duties. He passed Staley last year, IMO. I took him over Cedric Cobbs who could also pay off big this year, but I preferred to get a player who should contribute points nearly every week.

Alex Smith was the 18th TE drafted. Zach Hilton and Erron Kinney were the next two drafted but they both share a bye week with my TE1 Todd Heap. No idea why you'd think Alex Smith is a weakness though. He finished his rookie year as the #20 ranked TE and I have him ranked #19 for this year. That's a very strong backup in a 16-team league if you ask me.

You don't really need "studly" QBs in these leagues, you just need consistency. Plummer was the #11 QB last year and added Javon Walker. David Carr was the #18 QB last year and added Eric Moulds, Jeb Putzier, Gary Kubiak, Mike Sherman, etc. Having two top-20 QBs should be plenty strong for a 16-team league, and both of them have not missed a start in the past 2 years. Additionally, Plummer only had 4 games last year without at least a single TD pass (including a meaningless game in week 17). Carr only had 5 games without a single TD pass (including week 17 when he left early with an injury).
Aaron,All good answers. Like I said, I didn't follow the whole draft closely - just commenting on the results. I'm not a fan of Alex Smith or the usage of a TE in TB, but to each their own.

As for "studly" QBs - some of Survivor is about getting immunity, so studs help to that end.

As for "studly" QBs - some of Survivor is about getting immunity, so studs help to that end.
I think drafting for immunity in survivor leagues is a mistake. I put more emphasis on trying to avoid low scoring weeks than I do on trying to get the highest scoring team possible.

Despite passing on RB's the 1st couple rounds, I'm pretty happy with my starters elsewhere.

QB Brett Favre (6.05, b6), Alex Smith (9.12, b7)

I need Favre to be himself to survive at QB, he did OK pointswise without Walker last year, so I think I'll be OK. Backup QB is where I really gambled, but QB's were gobbled up so quick in this league that I sought value elsewhere. I hope to see some year 2 growth out of Alex Smith certainly a risk, but it is what it is.

RB DeShaun Foster (3.12, b9), Domanic Rhodes (4.05, b6), Marion Barber III (8.05, b3), Vernand Morency (14.05, b5)

For bypassing RB's for the 1st 2 rounds, I think I've done OK. All 4 have very good upside, particularly Barber. Maybe I'll break the curse and survive a while despite not taking a RB in rounds 1 or 2. I think my team has the depth to do it.

WR Terrell Owens (2.05, b3), Rod Smith (5.12, b4), Muhsin Muhammad (7.12, b7), Chad Jackson (13.12, b6), Peerless Price (15.12, b8), Keary Colbert (17.12, b9)

I love my starting 3 WR's, and Chad Jackson as a #4 could be gold as well. Price is a gamble as a WR 5, but it was the 15th rd. Levy and Jauron must think they can return him to form, seeing as they gave him a 4 year $10 million deal. For a WR5, it was worth the gamble. As for my WR 6, Colbert had a great rookie season, terrible sophamore one, but had an injury that may have played a part which was recently resolved with surgery. I think he's better suited as a slot WR3, and IMO Keyshawn will help his numbers, not hurt them. I won't be at all surprised if he's in my top 3 WR's for a couple weeks at some point this season.

TE Antonio Gates (1.12, b3), Marcedes Lewis (11.12, b6)

The best in SSL1, hands down, the strength of my team.

K Neil Rackers (10.05, b9), Josh Scobee (18.05, b6)

Ditto my TE's comment. Rackers numbers will likely decrease some, but combined with Scobee (who was a big 18th rd value IMO) I expect very good and consistent points from the K position.

DT Carolina Panthers (12.05, b9), Minnesota Vikings (16.05, b6)

2 aggressive D's with good ability to turn the ball over and/or get to the QB. They're also both in divisions that have shaky offenses opposite them.

This team was an experiment, I didn't like the 12 spot for the RB value, so gambled on Gates and TO in rds 1 and 2, despite the fact they shared a week 3 bye (which I think I covered OK). My RB's and QB's could be my achilles, but just as easily can be solid producers.

I've done well in SSL1 the last couple years (2nd last year, 1st in '04), and didn't go RB RB either year. This year I really gambled there, we'll see if it kills me or not.

I suspect many will feel I'll be out by week 3, but I think I can make it to at least week 6, and probably further than that if I can dodge the bullet of week 6 byes where I lose 2 starters and 4 backups... all at different positions however. One thing you will note about my team, however, is that I didn't duplicate byes within a position, thus never lose more than 1 player at any particular position any given week (barring injury).

I'm looking forward to reading the critique on my draft, I know I made some mistakes, but I think for the most part, I recoverd OK.
Aside from ?s at QB, I like this team.WR/RB/TE/D all strong. :thumbup:

MB3 and Rhodes will be better than you think and good value pickups. Foster - meh. I think the rookie DAWilliams wins that job.

From 3d position:

r6 Abrecher/Valence - Phillip Rivers, QB21, SD 3

r7 Abrecher/Valence - Mark Brunell, QB23, WAS 8
Decent, but not great. GRADE: B-
r1 Abrecher/Valence - Shaun Alexander, RB3, SEA 5

r4 Abrecher/Valence - Curtis Martin, RB32, NYJ 9

r9 Abrecher/Valence - Mike Anderson, RB46, BAL 7

r10 Abrecher/Valence - Duce Staley, RB50, PIT 4
good group of RBs. GRADE: A
r2 Abrecher/Valence - Randy Moss, WR7, OAK 3

r3 Abrecher/Valence - Darrel Jackson, WR10, SEA 5

r8 Abrecher/Valence - Antonio Bryant, WR39, SF 7

r11 Abrecher/Valence - Justin McCareins, WR60, NYJ 9

r13 Abrecher/Valence - Dennis Northcutt, WR73, CLE 6

r18 Abrecher/Valence - Todd Pinkston, WR91, PHL
Interesting group. Moss and DJax - taking on some risk / reward here. Both are doubtful to play a full season, but good production when they do play. Not sold on Bryant at all, and WR39 seems high to me. McCareins - good value. Northcutt - could surprise of BEdwards is out for a while and he can hold off Trav Wilson. Pinkstons has a shot at WR2 - good production in Philly.Total mixed bag. Can't grade much higher than B.

GRADE: B

r5 Abrecher/Valence - Randy McMichael, TE8, MIA 8

r12 Abrecher/Valence - Bubba Franks, TE25, GB 6
McMichael is a PPR machine. Franks / Favre good coupling.GRADE: A

r15 Abrecher/Valence - Shayne Graham, PK7, CIN 5

r17 Abrecher/Valence - Nate Kaeding, PK16, SD 3

r14 Abrecher/Valence - Atlanta Falcons, DST14 5

r16 Abrecher/Valence - New York Jets, DST27 9
Yep, K and D. D2 sucks, but meh in this format. 2 good kickers.GRADE: A-

OVERALL: B+. Upper half of the SSL1 I'd guess and a shot at Top 4.

QB-Delhomme(9),Grossman(7),Griese(7)

RB-James(9),Taylor(6),Gado(6),Norwood(5)

WR Holt(7),Ward(4),Moulds(5),M.Williams(8),Parker(3),Henderson(7)

TE-Davis(7),Jolley(9)

K-SeaBass(3)

DEF-Denver(4),Cinn.(5)

Qb-- i think i have pretty good value with delhomme, i know they like to run the ball but over the last couple of years the passing game has really taken a step up, hope that continues. waited a little too late on QB2 so i have to settle with grossman/griese, but they have some good WRs up there just would like to see them used more.

Grade-- B

RB-- like several others in the draft RBs flew off the board and we decided to go a different direction. james will be the decider for me, i know he is not like very well by some this year but i think he will put up resonable #s. taylor well what new can be said about him, just stay healthy, please. gado, i think it wil be RBBC in G.B. and when i drafted him that was all i expected(RD8). norwood is a flier-they don't like duckett and dunn is getting older---maybe a week or 2 out of him.

Grade--B-

WR-rounds 2/3 brought me holt/ward which are as good a combo as you will find. then throw in m.williams, moulds,parker,henderson i should be able to get a good starter out of those every week.

Grade--A

TE-if vernon davis lives up to the hype..i'm ok, got jolley as a bye week filler.

Grade--C+

K- went with only one but an early bye week.

Grade--C-

D-den./cin. should be good scorers in this format.

Grade--B+

i like the team, if i can work around a bye week issue in week 9(saying of course i make it to week 9) should make a few more weeks. this team will make or break on if and when those RB2,3,4 preform..... although i have done well here with only 1 RB.

Overall Grade--B- but with potential ...........but i suppose all could say that about their teams.

as a side note----this is the 1st draft i've done this year with respect to the bye weeks. and after this adventure i think we can all say that drafting this year is gonna be harder with the extreme issues that week 6 and 7 present. not only the 12 teams that are off but some big studs. there is several other weeks that are bears as well.

really enjoyed the the draft and best of luck to all......well you know what i mean.
I'd pretty much agree with the grades here. A little generous at QB (more of a B- to me) but I think you got some nice values late. Don't know what rounds you got these in, but Gado, Parker and Henderson all have the potential to contribute a week. I really like Parker, and if a WR goes down in NO, Henderson is a nice plug-in. Davis was a good TE to pick, but not a fan of NYJ TEs. K and D are better than graded, despite one K.QB: B-

RB: B-

WR: A

TE: B-

PK: B

D: A

Overall: B

I think drafting for immunity in survivor leagues is a mistake. I put more emphasis on trying to avoid low scoring weeks than I do on trying to get the highest scoring team possible.
That's my general strategy as well. Just puts the QBs in the "B" range vs. "A".

Overall, I like my team a lot this year and feel it will withstand the challenge and take the title again this year.

QBs - P. Manning (b6), C. Pennington (b9)

I wasn't planning on taking Manning this year, but when he was still sitting there at 2.10 I had to pull the trigger. He will out score all other QBs most weeks and give me an automatic leg up at the position. All I want from Pennington is a week 6 start. Peyton's week 6 bye came into play the rest of my draft.

20/20 Hindsight - should have nabbed Grossman in the 10th, but got greedy and thought he may keep sliding.

Grade A-

RBs - L. Jordan (b3), T. Bell (b4), C. Brown (b7), L. White (b7), C. Cobbs (b4)

I didn't love the 7 spot and was hoping for Caddy to slide to me. I've nver been a huge Tiki fan so I went with one of the safer picks since there aren't any challengers in Oakland to take away any carries. I like Bells upside and thought I would gamble here. There weren't any WR's or TEs I was in love with at this point so it was between Bell and Dillon. I really like the Brown/White combo in round 6/7. It may have been a ;ittle early for Brown, but I think I have the Titan running game covered. Cobbs is insurance that may pay off huge.

20/20 Hindsight - None really. Was eyeballing Maroney and Barber II in the eighth, but wasn't too disappointed in not getting either.

Grade B

WRs - L. Coles (b9), J. Porter (b3), B. Lloyd (b8), E. Wilford (b6), M. Jenkins (b5)

All of my past Survivor format drafts have taken this same approach - no starts at WR, but plenty of solid depth. Coles had a "down year" and still put up solid numbers and will likely improve on them in 06/07. Porter and Lloyd are both consistent and have the ability to put up huge weeks. The Wilford pick is looking great now that Smith has retired. The Jenkins pick was a little "iffy" and I'm second guessing taking him over Roddy White. With all five having different bye weeks, I'm very confident I'll have consistent scoring from this group.

20/20 Hindsight - I couldn't believe my good fortune when it looked like Hines Ward was dropping to me in the third round. Unfortunately Duke thought the same thing and nabbed him right before my pick.

Grade C+

TE - A. Crumpler (b5), D. Graham (b6)

TE with a QB that looks to him first, soft hands and a great redzone threat ... can't ask for much more. Graham was picked when I was out of town based on the FBG list, but he may have been my pick regardless. He should have a couple of decent weeks, but the Patriots draft makes me think NE wasn't too pleased with what they had at the position.

20/20 Hindsight - Make a list for more than one round when going out of town.

Grade B

D/ST - Pittsburgh (b4), Tennessee (b7)

The Steelers are one of the few teams that are consistently in the upper echelon of D/ST each year. Titans are a solid backup and could surprise by ending up in the top third overall.

Grade B+

K - J. Brown (b5), M. Stover (b7)

Two solid kickers. Neither has a challenger, both from solid programs and should be very consistent from week to week.

Grade B+

Excellent draft this year. :thumbup:

Had a lot of fun and look forward to taking the title again. :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread