What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

I'm going to try out this one on Thursday.  I may replace the cooking sauce with a new bottle if it looks too greasy/fatty after the shredding.  Also, I'm sure it would work with pork too.  I'll report back.

INGREDIENTS:

1 (3 pound) boneless chuck roast

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

salt and pepper to taste

1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Place roast into slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour barbeque sauce over meat. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove meat from slow cooker, shred, and return to slow cooker. Cook for 1 more hour. Serve hot.
Had this last night, turned out awesome. The sauce can get greasy/thinner after the 6-8 hours of cooking, so I decided to dump out the "cooking sauce" and add a new bottle of BBQ for the last hour after shredding for a thicker sauce. That was personal preference though.Served it on rolls with provolone and some side pasta salad (some good baked beans would also work).

I'm clueless in the kitchen and this was simple enough for me to make, so I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for something tasty and easy to cook.
True, that's why I use coke and a dash of liquid smoke for the initial cooking. Just discard and add your favorite Q sauce and you're in buisness..... :thumbup:

are the Banquet Crock Pot bagged food you get in the frozen food aisle any good or garbage?
The grocery store I go to only has 3 options there: Beef Stew, Meatballs, and Stroganof. The beef stew is not bad for a cheap and easy couple of meals. I didn't care for the other two really. The stroganof was a little bland and I just didn't like the flavor of the meatballs.

Give the Beef Stew a try. If you don't like it, don't even try the other two.
Slow cooking has to be the easiest cooking there is unless you count microwaving a frozen dinner cooking. I just can't imagine buying a frozen over priced slow cooker package. What is too hard about throwing in some fresh meat, veggies and spices into a crock pot? I don't thnk anyone has mentioned it yet but Beef Stew is great in the clow cooker. The meat just falls apart.

Just bought one last night...first attempt is going to be a 15-bean soup with some chopped ham in it...I'll report back.

Also got a roast for later this week :thumbup:

-fe

Just bought one last night...first attempt is going to be a 15-bean soup with some chopped ham in it...I'll report back.Also got a roast for later this week :thumbup: -fe
The Judge loves him some bean soup. Share recipe, and what brand of hot sauce you used to kick it up a notch..

:hijacked: for a minute...

I hunt a lot, and have deer meat all the time now. I usually cut it myself, into tenderloin, ground venison, steaks. Do or have any of you put venison in a crock-pot . Heard of anyone doing it? I'm seriouslly about to try it unless someone tells me otherwise.

I've pimped it elsewhere, but you guys really need to check out Cook's Illustrated. It doesn't just throw a bunch of recipes at you Betty Crocker style, it teaches you how to cook. If you like Good Eats on Food Network, just sign yourself up for Cook's today.

Many people know how to cook their one or two special dishes, but it's memory and not knowing how to cook. Once you've learned a bit about how to cook, the variations are limitless.

Hear me now, thank me later.

I love slow cooking and crock pots. I also use a awesome ceramic covered cast iron dutch oven. Consider it when you are ready to step up a bit in the realm but they are not cheap.

For the bean lovers try a black bean and Italian sausage soup it is awesome.

For slow cooking roasts I brown the meat first which sears the meat then cook it 8 to 10 hours very nice.

I generally use veggies on bottom to support the already seared meat when transferring to slow cooker or crock pot or take the meat out and insert veggies when using the dutch oven which saves the carmelized goodies.

I season the meat and veggies in all steps but start slow in your amounts. This gives a layered effect of flavor and enhances the food nicely.

Great thread. I am going to try the pulled pork real soon.

:hijacked: for a minute...I hunt a lot, and have deer meat all the time now. I usually cut it myself, into tenderloin, ground venison, steaks. Do or have any of you put venison in a crock-pot . Heard of anyone doing it? I'm seriouslly about to try it unless someone tells me otherwise.
Roasts + crock pot = good idea.Tenderloin + crock pot = worst idea you've ever had.It's the same as any other meat - if the meat you have is tough and/or fatty, it will do well in a slow cooking method (crock pot, smoking, etc.). If the meat is lean and tender to begin with, you hit it with heat very quickly and eat with a good sear (think brisket vs. steak).To the OP's question (from five months ago, I know), I cook the following in a crock pot:Lasagna: - lasagna recipe as normal, maybe a little extra sauce, no-boil noodles. 4-6 hours.Corned beef & cabbage: - Corned beef, cabbage, water, seasoning packet. 4-8 hours.Taco soup: - Ground beef, 2 cans: pinto beans, black beans, tomatoes w/ green chilis, 1 can: corn, 1 packet: taco seasoning, Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. 4-8 hours. Serve w/cheese, sour cream; eat w/tortilla chips.Chili: - No magic recipe for this yet.Stew: - Stew meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, broth, onion soup mix.

I've pimped it elsewhere, but you guys really need to check out Cook's Illustrated. It doesn't just throw a bunch of recipes at you Betty Crocker style, it teaches you how to cook. If you like Good Eats on Food Network, just sign yourself up for Cook's today. Many people know how to cook their one or two special dishes, but it's memory and not knowing how to cook. Once you've learned a bit about how to cook, the variations are limitless. Hear me now, thank me later.
Not to mention their companion TV show which is great, America's Test Kitchen. :thumbup:

:hijacked: for a minute...I hunt a lot, and have deer meat all the time now. I usually cut it myself, into tenderloin, ground venison, steaks. Do or have any of you put venison in a crock-pot . Heard of anyone doing it? I'm seriouslly about to try it unless someone tells me otherwise.
Roasts + crock pot = good idea.Tenderloin + crock pot = worst idea you've ever had.It's the same as any other meat - if the meat you have is tough and/or fatty, it will do well in a slow cooking method (crock pot, smoking, etc.). If the meat is lean and tender to begin with, you hit it with heat very quickly and eat with a good sear (think brisket vs. steak).To the OP's question (from five months ago, I know), I cook the following in a crock pot:Lasagna: - lasagna recipe as normal, maybe a little extra sauce, no-boil noodles. 4-6 hours.Corned beef & cabbage: - Corned beef, cabbage, water, seasoning packet. 4-8 hours.Taco soup: - Ground beef, 2 cans: pinto beans, black beans, tomatoes w/ green chilis, 1 can: corn, 1 packet: taco seasoning, Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. 4-8 hours. Serve w/cheese, sour cream; eat w/tortilla chips.Chili: - No magic recipe for this yet.Stew: - Stew meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, broth, onion soup mix.
No No, tenderloin is for breakfast, usually on a biscuit. I'm thinking of the back hams, or maybe chopped up for venison stew. I guess i'mma try it. Couldn't hurt.

anybody have free advice?
Read my above post and also when in doubt turn the heat down a few degrees.
Ok. Also, if i'm going to put say, whole unions in there, would i just put them in after, or while its cooking?
Either way is okay really. You get different flavoring and texture to finished product depending on dwhen you add. I ussually put in about 25 % in initially to help season the meat and add the rest an hour or two before the dish is finished to give varied texture. The same with carrots and celery. Potatoes I generally add when I am adding the majority of veggies either all in the beginning or with the 75% remaining if I am adding a hour or two before finish. . I will also saute the veggies in spices before starting the dish if I have the time. It is okay to add all the veggies early if you are going for convenience or want to eat immediately upon returning home. Guest coming over immediately after work etc.

My wife makes some AWESOME crock pot chilli. If you need it I can get her to post the recipe.

Simple recipe for carnitas:3-4 lb of pork shoulderabout six or so garlic cloves inserted into slits in the meatone bottle/can of beer (I usually use an ale)one chopped onionfinely chopped cilantrosalt and pepperyour favorite hot sauce -- I use Pepper Plant®Cook in a crock pot on low for 10-12 hours.Fork the meat into steamed corn tortillas, add shredded cabbage, radishes, tomatillos, cilantro, more hot sauce, and all that other good stuff. Absolutely fantastic.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
:goodposting: Excellent recipe. :thumbup: I make this one all the time.
I'm making this one this weekend for the OSU/Michigan game although I haven't ever used the liquid smoke before. I typically buy a 4-6 lb pork butt roast and pour a can of coke over it and let it cook all night long and add my BBQ sauce, I usually mix half smokey/spicy sauce with half sweet BBQ sauce and leave the crock-pot on low during the games. Can anyone tell me more about this liquid smoke?

I use liquid smoke in a few different recipes, but it's always the smallest amount...just to impart the smokiness.

I like to use the crock pot a lot because I'm home in the afternoon from 2-4, then I'm not home again until 8:30, so throwing stuff in the crock pot at 3:00 and letting it simmer all day is my best option. Plus, the g/f gets home before me, so when it's my turn to cook, she doesn't have to wait for me to get home.

Problem is, the stuff I make in the crock pot is average at best. I buy the cans of chicken broth, then throw in some boneless chicken breasts, peppers, onions and baby carrots. It tastes *okay*..... but I'm shooting for better than okay. Same with chunks of beef. It fills you up, but the taste is par. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong kind of stock.

Before you ask "Google Down?," I searched for "crock pot recipes" and 50 billion results appeared. I want to know if any of you have personal tips you care to share on preparing meals in the crock pot.

Thank you, kind people. :wub:
Start with pretty much any kind of roast. Cut up an onion; add spices (garlic powder, oregano, pepper, thyme, basil, etc - whatever you've got). Add a cup of water. Cut up a potato to absorb grease. Put on *low* in the morning. Tender and delicious by evening, regardless of the kind of beef. Don't waste a good cut of beef on this. Don't think you can cook it on high for 3 hours and get the same result. It'll be cooked, but very tough.*Great* for sandwiches, immediately, or the next day.

My favorite roast recipe in the crockpot:

1 chuck roast (lightly flour the roast and brown it on med-high heat in a skillet for a few minutes until both sides are brown)-this seals the flavor of the meat in and the flour helps to thicken the juice later.

Place the chuckroast in the crockpot and add one packet of lipton french onion soup mix on top.

Add approx. 1 cup of water or enough to come about halfway up to the meat.

I usually let that cook on low for a couple hours and then add onions, carrots, and potatos cut up in large pieces and some fresh mushrooms. Leave it on low and let it cook a few more hours until everything is done.

Remove everything from the crockpot and pour remaining liquid into a small saucepan, bring that to a boil and slowly add a mixture of cornstarch & water until you have a gravy consistency. I usually add a little Kitchen Bouquet (usually in the aisle with gravy mixes) to enhace the flavor a bit.

My favorite roast recipe in the crockpot:1 chuck roast (lightly flour the roast and brown it on med-high heat in a skillet for a few minutes until both sides are brown)-this seals the flavor of the meat in and the flour helps to thicken the juice later. Place the chuckroast in the crockpot and add one packet of lipton french onion soup mix on top.Add approx. 1 cup of water or enough to come about halfway up to the meat. I usually let that cook on low for a couple hours and then add onions, carrots, and potatos cut up in large pieces and some fresh mushrooms. Leave it on low and let it cook a few more hours until everything is done.Remove everything from the crockpot and pour remaining liquid into a small saucepan, bring that to a boil and slowly add a mixture of cornstarch & water until you have a gravy consistency. I usually add a little Kitchen Bouquet (usually in the aisle with gravy mixes) to enhace the flavor a bit.
:o ...... :wub: ...... :blush:

I use liquid smoke in a few different recipes, but it's always the smallest amount...just to impart the smokiness.
can you quantify "smallest amount?" i'm doing the lazy man's pulled pork, and i just used a little more than a teaspoon for 4 lbs of pork.

Simple recipe for carnitas:3-4 lb of pork shoulderabout six or so garlic cloves inserted into slits in the meatone bottle/can of beer (I usually use an ale)one chopped onionfinely chopped cilantrosalt and pepperyour favorite hot sauce -- I use Pepper Plant®Cook in a crock pot on low for 10-12 hours.Fork the meat into steamed corn tortillas, add shredded cabbage, radishes, tomatillos, cilantro, more hot sauce, and all that other good stuff. Absolutely fantastic.
I am trying that this weekend, no doubt! :thumbup:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-S...ver/Detail.aspx

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"2 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces"

Anyone ever had Squirrel?
"Winter in Mississippi means wild game and slow cooking! Try this delicious variation on squirrel. The beef liver brings out the amazing natural flavor of the squirrel, while repressing the 'gamey' taste...... Serve with malt liquor" :lmao: :lmao:
recipe reviews for:Slow Cooker Squirrel and Liver

“Winter in Mississippi means wild game and slow cooking! Try this delicious variation on squirrel. The beef liver brings out the amazing natural flavor of the squirrel, while repressing the 'gamey' taste. Serve with malt liquor.”

SORT REVIEWS BY: DATE | RATING | MOST HELPFUL

DATE POSTED:

8/5/2006

SUBMITTED BY: Breeze

Fabulous recipe! I never would have thought of the livers paired with the squirrel! The addition of the onions is a must! Thanks Fred

:lmao:

Wyldfox said:
FBGirl79 said:
Wyldfox said:
Can you usually buy it at any grocery store?
Yes, any grocery will have it. It'll probably be around the worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, tabasco..that area.
Thanks I'll have to pick some up and try that!

Vintage_Football said:
FBGirl79 said:
My favorite roast recipe in the crockpot:1 chuck roast (lightly flour the roast and brown it on med-high heat in a skillet for a few minutes until both sides are brown)-this seals the flavor of the meat in and the flour helps to thicken the juice later. Place the chuckroast in the crockpot and add one packet of lipton french onion soup mix on top.Add approx. 1 cup of water or enough to come about halfway up to the meat. I usually let that cook on low for a couple hours and then add onions, carrots, and potatos cut up in large pieces and some fresh mushrooms. Leave it on low and let it cook a few more hours until everything is done.Remove everything from the crockpot and pour remaining liquid into a small saucepan, bring that to a boil and slowly add a mixture of cornstarch & water until you have a gravy consistency. I usually add a little Kitchen Bouquet (usually in the aisle with gravy mixes) to enhace the flavor a bit.
:o ...... :wub: ...... :blush:
Don't get too excited...I don't cook until at least the 3rd date (unless you count breakfast after the 2nd date)

Users who are viewing this thread