What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (5 Viewers)

I've done lamb shanks braised in red wine in there and they've come out really well. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper before you brown the shanks in some olive oil in a skillet and place them in the pot over some sliced onions (use leeks in there if you want something different). Deglaze the skillet with a little bit of red wine to scrape up any browned bits and dump the contents into the pot over the shanks (3-4 will fit in a decent sized crock pot). Fill about a third to half way up the shanks with red wine (only use a wine you'd actually enjoy drinking and typically use a heartier red like a cabernet, zinfandel, syrah, merlot, etc.). Throw in a few smashed garlic cloves, some rosemary sprigs, and maybe a tablespoon or so of whole peppercorns and cook on low until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Serve over rice or, even easier, over some couscous with some finely chopped fresh mint in it. Meat will just melt in your mouth.

Another classic thing to serve with lamb shanks is white beans or a white bean puree (take a couple of cans of white beans and put them in the food processor and process until smooth, adding chicken broth slowly until you get a texture similar to mashed potatoes. Put into a microwave safe dish and season to taste with salt and pepper and a tablespoon or two of butter and put in the microwave for a minute or so until the butter is melted and the beans are warmed all the way through). This is also an excellent replacement for mashed potatoes that will be higher in fiber and add some protein to a meal as well.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Tried this last Sunday and it was excellent.

I've found that prolonged cooking in the crock pot seems to leech flavor out of what ever I'm cooking. I believe its because it gets too hot and the food begins to boil, even on the low setting.

So what I've been doing is setting the timer for 2 hours, then letting the "keep warm" setting do the rest. Trust me, the "keep warm" setting is plenty hot! It takes a tad bit longer to get where you are going but the flavor stays intact and much more pronounced.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Just altered this for a 8lb shoulder. Used 20 oz of coke and actually used a pork rub. Going to let it marinade in the fridge overnight and put it on in the am

Lazy Man's Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Fired this up a little while ago for the Texas/Texas Tech game tonight... :rolleyes:

Kalua Pork

5lb Pork Butt/Shoulder

2-3 Cups Apple Cider

1-2 Tablespoons of Liquid Smoke

1-2 Tablespoons of Sea Salt

About 10 hours on low.

These recipies which call for "8 hours on low"... "10 hours on low"...

Can you put it on high and shave off a couple of hours?

These recipies which call for "8 hours on low"... "10 hours on low"...Can you put it on high and shave off a couple of hours?
I do at times with pork and beef roasts. Cut the time in half or a third and cook on high. Just make sure to watch it close so you don't burn any meat/ingredients that stick along the sides of the dish. It doesn't taste as good as cooking it slow on low, but it's better than using an oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
These recipies which call for "8 hours on low"... "10 hours on low"...Can you put it on high and shave off a couple of hours?
Yes - when crockpots were in vogue, several had an "automatic shift" function that would have the crock pot on high for an hour or two than shift to the low function by itself.You can do that (lower the temp) if you have time, or you can brown the meat in a hot skillet for a few minutes before cooking it on low for 8-10 hours (after draining any grease from browning it in the skillet) That cooks the meat (pork chops or whatever) and does add to the flavor and eye appeal.

This thread made me go out and get a beef roast for tomorrow. Our usual - beef stock (homemade), onions, carrots, celery - make gravy and put it over rice. Its going in a 8AM tomorrow. Will brown it good before putting in - same for the onions and carrots. Can't wait.

Next - chili.

This thread made me go out and get a beef roast for tomorrow.
:blackdot: I made a pot roast on Tuesday. Slow cookers are invaluable to us busy professionals lazy a-holes. :lmao:

My shredded BBQ pork will be done in about an hour. :popcorn:

If there's one recipe I would recommend from this whole thread, it's that one. Made it more than a dozen times. SO money!

This thread made me go out and get a beef roast for tomorrow. Our usual - beef stock (homemade), onions, carrots, celery - make gravy and put it over rice. Its going in a 8AM tomorrow. Will brown it good before putting in - same for the onions and carrots. Can't wait.
You might want to put the vegtables in before you go to bed tonight. Sometimes when I put them in with the meat in the morning, the meat is done but the vegatables (and also potatos) are undercooked at serving time.

You might want to put the vegtables in before you go to bed tonight. Sometimes when I put them in with the meat in the morning, the meat is done but the vegatables (and also potatos) are undercooked at serving time.
Agreed. An added bonus is that the house smells great when you wake up. :jawdrop:

Lazy Man's Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Fired this up a little while ago for the Texas/Texas Tech game tonight... :bag:
FunnyI am planning on doing this tomorrow

Great recipes in here.

I love my pots. I have 3 different sizes and this is exactly what Sundays are made for.

We did a big pot of Nachos last weekend---2 pounds Velveta Cheese, 2 pounds browned ground meat, 2 little cans of diced tomatoes (blended and you can get the ones that are spicy) 4-5 hours and it is wonderful.

Have another pot going at the same time with Little Smokies with Grape Jam and brown sugar.

Throw in a little meat/cheese tray and you are ready to entertain a football crowd.

I also do the Hormel Chilli and put a jar of chunky salsa in there--it is wonderful on a a snowy Colorado day.

I would highly discourage anyone from trying those frozen pre-made crockpot meals from Marie Callenders and such. They are killer as far as sodium and they come out terrible and soggy.

Courtjester said:
Have another pot going at the same time with Little Smokies with Grape Jam and brown sugar.
Grape jam + ketchup surprisingly makes a good sauce for those little smokies.

I give my roasts a quick sear in a high heat pan before putting in the crock. I use beef stock and red wine if I have any on hand for the liquid. Of course add in onions, carrots, celery, a whole garlic clove or two and if you can eat carbs add potatoes (*sigh* I miss potatoes). Of course salt and pepper, coriander is a nice spice to add in and I always add in some cayenne pepper.

When I get home from work I cut up some green peppers and add those in during the final half hour - hour. (They will dissolve if you add them in the beginning.)

When you are done with everything - save the liquid! It makes the best au jus for french dipps, or use it as the liquid for your next roast.

Courtjester said:
Grape jam + ketchup surprisingly makes a good sauce for those little smokies.
This actually is better than the Brown Sugar route. The jam marbleizes on the weenies and makes a nice thick sauce with the ketchup or you can use B'bq sauce.

I'm curious... what would happen if you dumped a box of uncooked ziti and and some pasta sauce into the cooker?

Would it turn out well? And after how long?

I'm curious... what would happen if you dumped a box of uncooked ziti and and some pasta sauce into the cooker?Would it turn out well? And after how long?
my wife cooks pasta sauce in the crockshe did put some of her sauce + dried pasta and uncooked ground beef into a pressure cooker and it came out good

I'm curious... what would happen if you dumped a box of uncooked ziti and and some pasta sauce into the cooker?Would it turn out well? And after how long?
my wife cooks pasta sauce in the crockshe did put some of her sauce + dried pasta and uncooked ground beef into a pressure cooker and it came out good
A pressure cooker is a different animal than a crock pot.For pasta, I would cook it separately then add to the crock pot about the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time. If you add to the crockpot at the beginning it might be overcooked and a little too starchy tasting.

I have added pasta and brown rice to the crockpot in the past. I normally toss them in with 1 hour left for pasta or 2 for brown rice. Nothing better then opening the garage door and getting a wiff of pot roast while you are still in the car.

I will have to try some of the recipes in here, I normally just wing it and toss in some random veggies, the meat and a can of brooth or cream of mushroom/chicken soup in the morning set it for 8 hours and go to work.

I am cookin' up some pumpkin black bean soup in the crock pot today.

Recipe:

2 14oz cans vegetable broth (swanson)

1 c pumpkin puree (Libby's)

1 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed

1 14.5oz can petite cut tomatoes with jalapenos (Del Monte)

1 11oz can corn and pepper blend, drained (green giant mexicorn)

Whisk together broth and puree in 4 qt pan over medium heat, until blended. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cook until heated thoroughly (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

I also cooked up 1 lb of 99% fat free ground turkey to add to it. Wasn't in the recipe, but I like meat. :)

This recipe is pretty much fat free. :D

I think I just made the best thing ever in the crockpot

INGREDIENTS

1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix [i used 1/2 tbls of garlic salt, 1/2 tbls of pepper, 1/2 tbls of parsley instead b/c I didn't have this at home]
1 cup water
3/4 cup red wine [i used chicken broth instead b/c i didn't have at home]
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper to tasteDIRECTIONS

Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet.
Pour water, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat.
Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours.
Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.This just falls apart when you touch a fork to it. I literally stood over the crock pot and ate like 5 or 6 forkfulls before getting the genius idea of scooping some into a tortilla and adding cheese. :homer:

Next, I'll make a sandwich with it, and follow it up with some pork nachos tomorrow.

INGREDIENTS

1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix [i used 1/2 tbls of garlic salt, 1/2 tbls of pepper, 1/2 tbls of parsley instead b/c I didn't have this at home]
1 cup water
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours.
Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.This just falls apart when you touch a fork to it. I literally stood over the crock pot and ate like 5 or 6 forkfulls before getting the genius idea of scooping some into a tortilla and adding cheese. :thumbup:

Next, I'll make a sandwich with it, and follow it up with some pork nachos tomorrow.
Sounds phenomenal, GB! Can't go wrong with a nice tenderloin...

INGREDIENTS

1 cup water
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.This just falls apart when you touch a fork to it. I literally stood over the crock pot and ate like 5 or 6 forkfulls before getting the genius idea of scooping some into a tortilla and adding cheese. :goodposting:

Sounds phenomenal, GB! Can't go wrong with a nice tenderloin...
Sandwich was great...didn't have a chance at the nachos yet

Did an awesome pulled pork roast today!

After it was fork tender i added some Sweet Baby Ray sauce.........haven't had a sandwich that good in a long while!!!

Grabbed some porkchops out of the freezer and threw them into the crockpot this morning with:

Bay Leaf

Caraway seeds

Coriander

Marjoram

Mustard seeds

Rosemary

1/4 cup apple juice

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

2 cups water

Set it for 8 hours

:shrug:

Grabbed some porkchops out of the freezer and threw them into the crockpot this morning with:Bay LeafCaraway seedsCorianderMarjoramMustard seedsRosemary1/4 cup apple juice1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup2 cups waterSet it for 8 hours :excited:
Turned out pretty good. Less liquid next time and maybe some mustard.

Great recipes in here.I love my pots. I have 3 different sizes and this is exactly what Sundays are made for.We did a big pot of Nachos last weekend---2 pounds Velveta Cheese, 2 pounds browned ground meat, 2 little cans of diced tomatoes (blended and you can get the ones that are spicy) 4-5 hours and it is wonderful.Have another pot going at the same time with Little Smokies with Grape Jam and brown sugar.Throw in a little meat/cheese tray and you are ready to entertain a football crowd.I also do the Hormel Chilli and put a jar of chunky salsa in there--it is wonderful on a a snowy Colorado day. I would highly discourage anyone from trying those frozen pre-made crockpot meals from Marie Callenders and such. They are killer as far as sodium and they come out terrible and soggy.
When making the nachos did you mix the beef right in with the cheese??

In the pot now:

4 pork spare ribs

Little bit of water on the bottom

1 heaping tblspn garlic

1 half onion chopped

Lawry's

Crazy Jane's Season salt

Black pepper

Famous Dave's Rib Rub

Bacon weave on top...never did that. Smells great so far. I'm gonna start basting them with the juices in about an hour.

Chuck or shoulder roast.

Put crock pot on low heat.

Add one package of Lipton Onion soup mix.  No water.

Just let it sit all day.

Awesome!
Nice.... this is the kind of easy stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.
Sandra Lee, Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker CookbookThis is all you need. Quick, easy recipes written in clear, concise English. This gal is an awesome home-style cook. She uses all kinds of relatively inexpensive, pre-made, easy to find ingredients (Bisquick, pie fillings, etc.) so you don't have to start completely from scratch or have a ton of spices in your spice rack.

:excited:

I just winged it this morning, so this is as best as I can remember:

2 steaks(not sure what kind, don't feel like digging through the trash to find out.)

6 russet potatoes, cut into 8ths

3 onions, very roughly chopped

Handful portabella mushrooms, quartered

1 can stewed tomatoes

1 can Great Northern beans

3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces

2 cups water

celery salt

rosemary

ground mustard

cumin

1 tablespoon worsh. sauce

paprika

About 10 twists of McCormick's Steakhouse seasoning Grinder(I love these things!)

Browned steaks in pan then threw in crock pot followed by everything else. Set for 8 hours, stir every 2 hours.

I impressed myself

:patmyselfonback:

Chuck or shoulder roast.

Put crock pot on low heat.

Add one package of Lipton Onion soup mix.  No water.

Just let it sit all day.

Awesome!
Nice.... this is the kind of easy stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.
Sandra Lee, Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker CookbookThis is all you need. Quick, easy recipes written in clear, concise English. This gal is an awesome home-style cook. She uses all kinds of relatively inexpensive, pre-made, easy to find ingredients (Bisquick, pie fillings, etc.) so you don't have to start completely from scratch or have a ton of spices in your spice rack.

:confused:
I would like to see her use some fresh breast milk in some of her dishes.

Users who are viewing this thread