What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

Gonna do a corned beef this weekend. Anyone have any specific recommendations? Made one a while ago and it was an epic fail.

Cooking corned beef in 12 oz of Eastside Dark beer and a little more water for 8+ hours. Will report results.

Just made this for the first time recently. It was very easy and very tasty.

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

Number of Servings:

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup salsa

1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning

1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)

1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions

Add chicken to slow cooker.

Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.

Pour salsa and soup over chicken.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Serve with rice.

Any idea on what to substitute for the sour cream? I'm not a fan
Leave it out? :shrug:

Gonna do a corned beef this weekend. Anyone have any specific recommendations? Made one a while ago and it was an epic fail.
This is from a local radio guy here in the Twin Cities (called The Rookie)...I've tried it and I approve. :banned: Directions: Put Corned Beef Brisket in crockpot. Add water to almost cover brisket. Cook on high for about five hours. Remove from Crock Pot and put into baking pan. Cover brisket with a mixture of: 3 tablespoons of honey mustard. 1 cup red wine 1/4 cup brown sugar (amount of brown sugar depends on size of brisket) (The mixture gives the brisket a crispy crust.) Mix and pour over beef in pan. Put in oven at 375 degrees for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.(Optional - I cook the carrots and cabbage/potatoes separately.Some people like to throw it all in together. It's your call.)

Did corned beef with dark beer for about 5 1/2 hours. Delicious.
Did you put your slow cooker on high or low for this? Was the corned beef completely covered in the beer, or was some sticking out? I've never cooked corned beef before, bought a small 2.5lb cut yesterday, looking forward to giving this a shot on Saturday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Did corned beef with dark beer for about 5 1/2 hours. Delicious.
Did you put your slow cooker on high or low for this? Was the corned beef completely covered in the beer, or was some sticking out? I've never cooked corned beef before, bought a small 2.5lb cut yesterday, looking forward to giving this a shot on Saturday...
Set on low and added 1 beer plus about 1 cup water. Covered about 2/3 of it. Fat side up.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
So it's been awhile since I've made this, but 1 cup of BBQ doesn't seem like that much for that big of a shoulder. Is everyone following this receipe to a T?

Just made a great recipe the other day...can't remember if I got it from this thread or somewhere else. it Turned out GREAT!!!

3-5 LB Pork Shoulder or Butt (I used a 3lb Shoulder)

2 cups Apple Cider

2 TBSP Sea Salt

2 TBSP Liquid Smoke

1/2 can of Pineapple Chunks

Cook on Low for 10 hours...serve and enjoy! :)

Was a great meal. My sister made some gravy out of the juice in the bottom of the pan, and the meat was fall-off-the-bone good.

Just made a great recipe the other day...can't remember if I got it from this thread or somewhere else. it Turned out GREAT!!!3-5 LB Pork Shoulder or Butt (I used a 3lb Shoulder)2 cups Apple Cider2 TBSP Sea Salt2 TBSP Liquid Smoke1/2 can of Pineapple ChunksCook on Low for 10 hours...serve and enjoy! :)Was a great meal. My sister made some gravy out of the juice in the bottom of the pan, and the meat was fall-off-the-bone good.
Cranberry and pineapple work very well with pork in the crock pot.

Just made a great recipe the other day...can't remember if I got it from this thread or somewhere else. it Turned out GREAT!!!3-5 LB Pork Shoulder or Butt (I used a 3lb Shoulder)2 cups Apple Cider2 TBSP Sea Salt2 TBSP Liquid Smoke1/2 can of Pineapple ChunksCook on Low for 10 hours...serve and enjoy! :)Was a great meal. My sister made some gravy out of the juice in the bottom of the pan, and the meat was fall-off-the-bone good.
Cranberry and pineapple work very well with pork in the crock pot.
Yeah but outside the crock pot they just fight and don't get any work done. :lmao:

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
So it's been awhile since I've made this, but 1 cup of BBQ doesn't seem like that much for that big of a shoulder. Is everyone following this recipe to a T?
Nah man, I BURY it in the stuff! :thumbup:

So it's been awhile since I've made this, but 1 cup of BBQ doesn't seem like that much for that big of a shoulder. Is everyone following this receipe to a T?
Made it a couple weeks ago. :thumbup: I followed it to a T, but next time will probably add 1 more cup for the last hour of cooking. I like mine with some sauce dripping off.

So it's been awhile since I've made this, but 1 cup of BBQ doesn't seem like that much for that big of a shoulder. Is everyone following this recipe to a T?
Is the liquid smoke necessary?

Just fired one up, will let you know tonight. I also put the pork butt on a bed of purple onions and used 2 cans of coke instead of 1:crazy:

Just fired one up, will let you know tonight. I also put the pork butt on a bed of purple onions and used 2 cans of coke instead of 1:crazy:
So I don't think the liquid smoke adds anything. I used probably 3 or 4 dashes and I couldn't tell the difference :shrug:

So I don't think the liquid smoke adds anything. I used probably 3 or 4 dashes and I couldn't tell the difference :shrug:
Thanks

Sorry, must have missed this. The liquid smoke isn't vital at all. I haven't used it in ages.I got a couple slabs of boneless pork going this weekend. Gonna throw some Jack Daniels BBQ in there.

Have 2 pounds of seared (I always sear beef before slow cooking) stew meat cooking on low, swimming in enchilada sauce and half a cup of diced onions. Going to use the meat for quesadillas tonight, or if I'm too drunk by the time, wrap the meat in tortillas and eat it soft taco style.

Had this the night before last.....was good.

Salsa Chicken

4-5 chicken breasts (frozen)

1 cup salsa (we use black bean and corn)

1/2 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 packet of taco seasoning

(I also added a can of drained black beans)

place chicken in crock pot.....mix other three ingredients in a bowl and stir....pour over chicken.....cook until chicken is done (base your setting on how long you have to cook it.....we cook it pretty low and slow.....but don't over cook and dry out chicken). We had this with some corn on the side. Yummy! You can tweak how this tastes by using different salsa each time until you find what you really like.

Love when some of these old threads get bumped--know there are a lot of crock pot ones...gotta get mine back in action. :cool:

Anyone had success with ribs? The main problem is that ribs take up a ton of room and the crock pot has limited space. You would probably have to cook the ribs in the oven until the meat is tender enough to shred, then throw it in the crock pot with BBQ sauce for a few hours.

:shrug:

Anyone had success with ribs? The main problem is that ribs take up a ton of room and the crock pot has limited space. You would probably have to cook the ribs in the oven until the meat is tender enough to shred, then throw it in the crock pot with BBQ sauce for a few hours. :shrug:
I do ribs very similar to lazy man's pulled pork, but in the oven.Ribs in a roasting pan with broiler rack1 quartered onion1 2 liter of cola (haters gonna hate)Oven at 350 for 3-4 hours covered with foilSauce when served.Delicious

Anyone had success with ribs? The main problem is that ribs take up a ton of room and the crock pot has limited space. You would probably have to cook the ribs in the oven until the meat is tender enough to shred, then throw it in the crock pot with BBQ sauce for a few hours. :shrug:
I do ribs very similar to lazy man's pulled pork, but in the oven.Ribs in a roasting pan with broiler rack1 quartered onion1 2 liter of cola (haters gonna hate)Oven at 350 for 3-4 hours covered with foilSauce when served.Delicious
I do nearly the same thing. Throw some cola or apple juice in the foil tent before hand. Just a little. Crank oven to 500 and unfoil for 10 minutes. FANTASTIC.

I have done ribs in the crock pot. I placed two skewers in a cross formation on the bottom of the pot to keep the meat off the bottom and you just curve the rack of ribs in big circle inside the pot. After they cook for a bit, you pull them out baste them with bbq sauce and throw them on the grill to finish them off. Two problems, if you overcook the meat a tad, it wants to fall apart before you even get it to the grill. Second problem, this is a great recipe for two, but I did this for my wife and kids and we really did not have enough food. I really wish I would have done another rack. For some reason, I have 3 Crockpots.I am going to try that slow cooker salsa chicken tomorrow with a few changes.

Had this the night before last.....was good.Salsa Chicken4-5 chicken breasts (frozen)1 cup salsa (we use black bean and corn)1/2 can cream of chicken soup1/2 packet of taco seasoning(I also added a can of drained black beans)place chicken in crock pot.....mix other three ingredients in a bowl and stir....pour over chicken.....cook until chicken is done (base your setting on how long you have to cook it.....we cook it pretty low and slow.....but don't over cook and dry out chicken). We had this with some corn on the side. Yummy! You can tweak how this tastes by using different salsa each time until you find what you really like.
estimate on how much total chicken this was (in weight)?

Had this the night before last.....was good.Salsa Chicken4-5 chicken breasts (frozen)1 cup salsa (we use black bean and corn)1/2 can cream of chicken soup1/2 packet of taco seasoning(I also added a can of drained black beans)place chicken in crock pot.....mix other three ingredients in a bowl and stir....pour over chicken.....cook until chicken is done (base your setting on how long you have to cook it.....we cook it pretty low and slow.....but don't over cook and dry out chicken). We had this with some corn on the side. Yummy! You can tweak how this tastes by using different salsa each time until you find what you really like.
4-5 chicken breasts is probably a pound and a quarter.

I just put a variation of these Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs in the crock pot.

Ingredients

10 hot dogs, cut into thirds

15 slices bacon, cut in half

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Directions

Wrap 1/2 slice of bacon around each piece of hot dog. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.

Place hot dogs into a slow cooker on low heat. Pour brown sugar over hot dogs, let cook for 5 to 6 hours; until the bacon is cooked.
Instead of the brown sugar, I mixed about 1/4 cup grape jelly, 1/4 cup catsup (fancy) and a healthy dose of cayenne pepper. I've got the heat cranked up to high, so hopefully they'll be done in 3-4 hours rather than 5-6.

Rolling with this Barbacoa recipe today. The house smells insanely good right now! Going to make tacos with home made guacamole, cilantro and salsa.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves

4 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons oregano

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon ancho chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3/4 cup beef broth

3 bay leaves

4 tablespoons lime juice

4 chipotle chiles in adobo

4 lbs chuck roast

Directions:

To make the adobo sauce combine vinegar, limejuice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or processor on high until smooth.

Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6). Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder

Pour oil into a frying pan and sear all sides of roast on medium-high heat until browned.

Place meat into Crockpot and pour adobo sauce over meat.

Pour in the beef broth and add bay leaves.

Cook on high heat 6 hours

While still in the Crockpot, shred the meat with two forks and turn the heat to warm.

4-5 chicken breasts is probably a pound and a quarter.
thx. going to try this soon

I just put a variation of these Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs in the crock pot.

Ingredients

10 hot dogs, cut into thirds

15 slices bacon, cut in half

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Directions

Wrap 1/2 slice of bacon around each piece of hot dog. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.

Place hot dogs into a slow cooker on low heat. Pour brown sugar over hot dogs, let cook for 5 to 6 hours; until the bacon is cooked.
Instead of the brown sugar, I mixed about 1/4 cup grape jelly, 1/4 cup catsup (fancy) and a healthy dose of cayenne pepper. I've got the heat cranked up to high, so hopefully they'll be done in 3-4 hours rather than 5-6.
I would not do these in the slow cooker again... most of the bacon turned to mush and just fell off. They'd probably do much better in the oven.

I poured a mixture of a few crushed garlic cloves, a half dozen bay leaves, a half cup of red wine (Argentinian Malbec if you care), and a half cup of BBQ sauce (pretty standard hickory sauce) over the top of a whole salt water-brined chicken speckled with ample crushed black pepper. I cooked it on low for 8 hours. My intent was a rich pulled chicken for sandwiches. My result is food of the gods. ;)

I poured a mixture of a few crushed garlic cloves, a half dozen bay leaves, a half cup of red wine (Argentinian Malbec if you care), and a half cup of BBQ sauce (pretty standard hickory sauce) over the top of a whole salt water-brined chicken speckled with ample crushed black pepper. I cooked it on low for 8 hours. My intent was a rich pulled chicken for sandwiches. My result is food of the gods. ;)
:thumbup: The Crock Pot Chef over here...

How is this done?

'JoeSteeler said:
How is this done?
Dissolve salt in water. Add ice and chicken. Wait 24 hours.You can also add sugar and any desired herbs to your brine. If you decide to use hot water to make it easier for the salt and sugar to dissolve, make sure the solution is ice cold before adding your chicken.

'JoeSteeler said:
How is this done?
Dissolve salt in water. Add ice and chicken. Wait 24 hours.You can also add sugar and any desired herbs to your brine. If you decide to use hot water to make it easier for the salt and sugar to dissolve, make sure the solution is ice cold before adding your chicken.
Thanks!

'JoeSteeler said:
How is this done?
Thanks!
I used 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. No other ingredients. Sometimes I make an more involved brine, but the salt does the heavy lifting. I dissolve the salt in a warm quart in the microwave and add it to the remaining 3 quarts that are ice cold. Cover chicken in brine. Cover brine with lid or plastic wrap. Keep cool for 8-24 hours. Btw, I get great results with smaller birds in just 8 hours. A turkey takes longer.The reason for brining is juicier meat that is much harder to dry out while cooking. It's probably more important of indirect grilling, smoking, and roasting than crock pot slow cooking, but I was too lazy for anything else after brining the bird.

There's a ton of recipes online for brine solutions, but that recipe will turn out a very nice tasting simple chicken without the brine. The skin comes out mushy in the crock, but I was discarding it for pulled chicken. I could just have easily separated legs, thighs, breasts, wings, slipped the skins off and served them dinner style, falling off the bone goodness with a gravy made from the two cups of juice left behind in the crock.

I've done this one for the past 5+ years and the kids just love it...

Angel Hair Chicken:

6 boneless chicken breasts

1/2 cup butter

1 (1 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix

1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup

1/2 cup white wine (may substitute water or broth)

4 ounces cream cheese with chives and onions

angel hair pasta (cook according to box directions)

Directions:

1 Place the chicken in crock pot.

2 Melt butter in a saucepan.

3 Stir in Italian salad dressing mix, can of soup, cream cheese & wine(or water or broth). Pour over chicken.

4 Cook on low in the crock pot for 4-5 hours.

5 Pour over cooked angel hair pasta or other noodles or rice.

Enjoy! 6 Makes 6 breasts.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-angel-chicken-163705?oc=linkback

'JoeSteeler said:
How is this done?
Thanks!
I used 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. No other ingredients. Sometimes I make an more involved brine, but the salt does the heavy lifting. I dissolve the salt in a warm quart in the microwave and add it to the remaining 3 quarts that are ice cold. Cover chicken in brine. Cover brine with lid or plastic wrap. Keep cool for 8-24 hours. Btw, I get great results with smaller birds in just 8 hours. A turkey takes longer.The reason for brining is juicier meat that is much harder to dry out while cooking. It's probably more important of indirect grilling, smoking, and roasting than crock pot slow cooking, but I was too lazy for anything else after brining the bird.

There's a ton of recipes online for brine solutions, but that recipe will turn out a very nice tasting simple chicken without the brine. The skin comes out mushy in the crock, but I was discarding it for pulled chicken. I could just have easily separated legs, thighs, breasts, wings, slipped the skins off and served them dinner style, falling off the bone goodness with a gravy made from the two cups of juice left behind in the crock.
Thanks!

I do nearly the same thing. Throw some cola or apple juice in the foil tent before hand. Just a little. Crank oven to 500 and unfoil for 10 minutes. FANTASTIC.
Going to do this one tomorrow! :thumbup:

Black dot.

I'm not a fan of chicken in a crock pot but there are some other good idea in here. Gonna try a few out.

Users who are viewing this thread