What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get it On! Rookie Draft Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

I hope the Pats know something about these guys that I didn't by reading on the Web! Seemed like there were better available at each pick for the postition being targeted.1 13(13) from Washington through N.Y. Jets and Chicago TY WARREN DT TEXAS A&M 2 4(36) EUGENE WILSON CB ILLINOIS 2 13(45) from Carolina BETHEL JOHNSON WR TEXAS A&M 4 20(117) from Houston DAN KLECKO NT TEMPLE 4 23(120) from New England through Carolina and Denver ASANTE SAMUEL CB CENTRAL FLORIDA 5 29(164) from Tennessee DAN KOPPEN C BOSTON COLLEGE from Espn:Summary: (Ty Warren) If he can stay healthy and responds to NFL coaching, Warren could surprise as Shaun Rogers did as a second-round pick of the Lions in 2001.Summary: (Eugene Wilson) Reminds some of ex-Florida CB Lito Sheppard, a second-round pick of the Eagles in 2002. Wilson should be drafted in the first two rounds because of his talent, but he needs to become more of a worker. Summary: (Bethal Johnson)Has the talent to be a solid No. 2 receiver but will have to improve his poor work habits to stand a chance.Summary: (Dan Klecko) His work ethic and weight-room numbers will get him drafted, but Klecko may never be a three-down defensive tackle because of his size and lack of suddenness.Summary: (Asante Samuel)Has a good chance to make an NFL team as a nickel or dime cornerback and return man if he can improve his run support and tackling and become a more aggressive and physical player.Summary: (Dan Koppen)Much better football player than athlete and a solid but not super prospect. Has a chance to develop into a starter at the next level but would really help his chances of making it and having someone develop him if he could long-snap well enough to handle that chore for an NFL team.

Am I the only one who thinks the Pats had Kevin Jones on their mind when dealing for another 1st rounder in 2004. Having two first-rounders would give them the ammo to move up to grab him.

Pats fans griping about the draft might want to check out John Clayton's Winners and Losers article over at espn.com. Excerpt follows....Good teams normally don't have room for 10 or 12 rookies, but the Patriots are manipulating the draft like the 49ers used to do. During the past two offseasons, the Patriots brought in between 12 and 18 low-priced veteran role players and pulled a Super Bowl championship out of it. They've changed philosophies and you have to love how they've become a major player in the draft. They spent good money on veteran free agents (strong safety) Rodney Harrison and (linebacker) Rosevelt Colvin. The beauty of Saturday's draft is they are now loading the roster with quality young players. Sure, you might argue that they would have been better served to trade up and get a better nose tackle than Ty Warren, but what the heck, Warren was one of top three or four two-gap defensive tackles in the draft. Warren, if he can stay healthy, will have to do the dirty work to make Richard Seymour's job easier. The beauty of what the Patriots did is in the second round and in future years. Their second-round is pure quality -- cornerback Eugene Wilson and wide receiver Bethel Johnson. Plus, they've now accumulated two No. 1s, two No. 2s and three No. 4s for next year. That's clout. This new strategy will bring a lot more players who will be with the team for a lot longer.Personally, I'm tickled. Defensive powerhouse in the works with the addition of Colvin and Harrison. AFC East now has three O minded teams and one D minded team. Hopefully the Pats don't come in 32nd against the run, or whatever their sorry ranking was last year.

THE DRAFT IS DONE>>> MR IRRELEVANT HAS BEEN PICKED:round 7 1(215) Cincinnati SCOTT KOOISTRA OT NORTH CAROLINA STATE 2(216) Detroit BEN JOHNSON OT WISCONSIN 3(217) Houston CURRY BURNS S LOUISVILLE 4(218) Jacksonville (from Chicago) MALAEFOU MACKENZIE RB USC 5(219) Dallas JUSTIN BATES OG COLORADO 6(220) Detroit (from Arizona) BLUE ADAMS CB CINCINNATI 7(221) Minnesota KEENAN HOWRY WR OREGON 8(222) Seattle (from Jacksonville) JOSH BROWN K NEBRASKA 9(223) Baltimore TRENT SMITH TE OKLAHOMA 10(224) Seattle TACO WALLACE WR KANSAS STATE 11(225) Tennessee (from St. Louis through New England) TODD WILLIAMS OT FLORIDA STATE 12(226) Carolina (from Washington through Miami) WALTER YOUNG WR ILLINOIS 13(227) Denver (from Carolina) CLINT MITCHELL DE FLORIDA 14(228) Buffalo MARIO HAGGAN MLB MISSISSIPPI STATE 15(229) San Diego ANDREW PINNOCK RB SOUTH CAROLINA 16(230) Kansas City MONTIQUE SHARPE DT WAKE FOREST 17(231) New Orleans TALMAN GARDNER WR FLORIDA STATE 18(232) Washington (from Miami) GIBRAN HAMDAN QB INDIANA 19(233) Houston (Compensatory pick) CHANCE PEARCE C TEXAS A&M 20(234) New England SPENCER NEAD TE BRIGHAM YOUNG 21(235) Denver AHMAAD GALLOWAY RB ALABAMA 22(236) Detroit (from San Diego through Dallas) BRANDON DRUMM FB COLORADO 23(237) NY Jets DAVE YOVANOVITS WR TEMPLE 24(238) Atlanta DEMETRIN VEAL DE TENNESSEE 25(239) New England (from New Orleans) TULLY BANTA-CAIN DE CALIFORNIA 26(240) NY Giants CHARLES DRAKE S MICHIGAN 27(241) San Francisco KEN DORSEY QB MIAMI (FLA.) 28(242) Pittsburgh J.T. WALL FB GEORGIA 29(243) New England (from Tennessee) ETHAN KELLEY NT BAYLOR 30(244) Philadelphia (from Green Bay) NORMAN LEJEUNE S LSU 31(245) Green Bay (from Philadelphia) CHRIS JOHNSON DB LOUISVILLE 32(246) Oakland JEREMY "SIDDEEQ" SHABAZZ S NEW MEXICO STATE 33(247) Carolina (from Tampa Bay through Miami) CASEY MOORE FB STANFORD 34(248) Miami (Compensatory pick) DAVERN WILLIAMS DT TROY STATE 35(249) NY Giants (Compensatory pick) WAYNE LUCIER C COLORADO 36(250) Baltimore (Compensatory pick) MIKE MABRY C CENTRAL FLORIDA 37(251) St. Louis (Compensatory pick) SCOTT SHANLE OLB NEBRASKA 38(252) Kansas City (Compensatory pick) WILLIE PILE FS VIRGINIA TECH 39(253) Green Bay (Compensatory pick) DEANDREW RUBIN WR SOUTH FLORIDA 40(254) St. Louis (Compensatory pick) RICHARD ANGELO TE WESTERN NEW MEXICO 41(255) NY Giants (Compensatory pick) KEVIN WALTER WR EASTERN MICHIGAN 42(256) Green Bay (Compensatory pick) CARL FORD WR TOLEDO 43(257) Green Bay (Compensatory pick) STEVE JOSUE LB CARSON NEWMAN 44(258) Baltimore (Compensatory pick) ANTWOINE SANDERS S UTAH 45(259) Cincinnati (Compensatory pick) ELTON PATTERSON DE CENTRAL FLORIDA 46(260) Detroit (Compensatory pick) TRAVIS ANGLIN WR MEMPHIS 47(261) Chicago (Compensatory pick) BRYAN ANDERSON OG PITTSBURGH 48(262) Oakland (from Houston (Supplemental selection)) RYAN HOAG WR GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS COLLEGE (Min SO HOW DID YOUR TEAM DO???I think the Pats had a good draft for future draft picks and an ok draft for player talent.1 13(13) from Washington through N.Y. Jets and Chicago TY WARREN DT TEXAS A&M 2 4(36) EUGENE WILSON CB ILLINOIS 2 13(45) from Carolina BETHEL JOHNSON WR TEXAS A&M 4 20(117) from Houston DAN KLECKO NT TEMPLE 4 23(120) from New England through Carolina and Denver ASANTE SAMUEL CB CENTRAL FLORIDA 5 29(164) from Tennessee DAN KOPPEN C BOSTON COLLEGE 6 28(201) from Tennessee KLIFF KINGSBURY QB TEXAS TECH 7 20(234) SPENCER NEAD TE BRIGHAM YOUNG 7 25(239) from New Orleans TULLY BANTA-CAIN DE CALIFORNIA 7 29(243) from Tennessee ETHAN KELLEY NT BAYLOR

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation about drafts in the 21st century NFL. Here's a team that drafted jack squat last year- Tampa Bay :P Here's a team that had a pretty low rated draft two years ago - New England :P The draft can keep you competitive these days, but it isn't even relevant for determining champions. :boxing:

2(2) Detroit CHARLES ROGERS WR MICHIGAN STATE 2(34) Detroit BOSS BAILEY OLB GEORGIA 2(66) Detroit CORY REDDING DE TEXAS 2(99) Detroit ARTOSE PINNER RB KENTUCKY 2(137) Detroit TERRENCE HOLT S NORTH CAROLINA STATE9(144) Detroit (from Washington) JAMES DAVIS LB WEST VIRGINIA 2(175) Detroit DAVID KIRCUS WR GRAND VALLEY STATE (Mich.) 2(216) Detroit BEN JOHNSON OT WISCONSIN 6(220) Detroit (from Arizona) BLUE ADAMS CB CINCINNATI 22(236) Detroit (from San Diego through Dallas) BRANDON DRUMM FBCOLORADO 46(260) Detroit (Compensatory pick) TRAVIS ANGLIN WR MEMPHIS Excellent draft for the Lions based on the value of the picks they made. I would have liked to see them address the CB and DT positions early, and ignore the RB position, but I can't complain. In about 3 years, I think you will see anywhere from 3-5 major contributors from this draft class and that is all you can hope for. Rogers will be a stud, Bailey should be good as well. Redding will be groomed behind Porcher. Kircus has the potential to be a starting WR in a few years, his measurables and college production are outstanding. At least one of the 7th rounders should stick, I think it will be Ben Johnson, a guy who was slated to go much higher. I give the Lions an A.

Look for another BYU TE to make a splash:Spencer Nead out of BYU is a great TE in the making. He is very aggressive and has superb hands. He will fight for the ball as well. However, his run-blocking skills may be suspect. I thought NE was set at TE anyway. :thumbdown:

Look for another BYU TE to make a splash:Spencer Nead out of BYU is a great TE in the making. He is very aggressive and has superb hands. He will fight for the ball as well. However, his run-blocking skills may be suspect. I thought NE was set at TE anyway. :wall:
deja vous...I just replied to this same refererence in another thread! :yes:

I am blown away at the Lions draft.Here is their list of starters.RogersBaileyReddingHoltFUTURE STARTERSKircusBluePinnerSTEALSAnesNice way to jump to 8-8 or 9-7 boys :wall: :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
So Far, so Good - so the Jets gave up two #1s and a #4 for Robertson? I guess this is an admission that Shaun Ellis was a mistake.

Watch out for Houston when they get an OL - Gaffney and Johnson from Carr is a nice trio, although he still needs some time.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Arizona - a classic example of drafting for need - except I think NFL QBs will eat Johnson alive! He's more of a big posession WR and isn't physical enough with CBs.

Okay - Arizona's draft now gets the offical "LOSER" sticker! A real reach - they would have been better off just taking Suggs.
:confused:

Skyrattlers.....whoa are us being Canadian.

As for how Baltimore did, how in the world can you say they did well or bad, or any team for that matter, when they haven't played a game yet? :wall:

I never did understand the so-called grades for players when they never have played in the NFL. Be here in five years from now and then tell me how Baltimore and all the other teams did! :rant:
Over half way to that 5 year mark.

This reminds me of the worst kind of amateur fantasy draft where all the draft participants are neurotic and inexperienced, and pick for need or follow runs incessantly eg a ludicrous run on DTs with excessive trading up in order to acquire them, followed by some terrible picking for need eg RB Larry Johnson.
:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread