What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Hamilton returns to baseball... (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
http://sports.iwon.com/news/06022006/v6454.html

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Josh Hamilton was nervous each time he walked into the batting cage.

It didn't stop him from putting on a power display Friday that illustrated why Tampa Bay took the troubled outfielder with the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Whether he ever makes it to the majors, that remains to be seen.

Hamilton has been on Major League Baseball's restricted list the last two seasons. The 25-year-old outfielder was suspended in February 2004 for violating baseball's drug policy, and hasn't played since July 2002 because of injuries and unspecified personal issues.

Hamilton joined the Devil Rays extended spring training program and hit 12 home runs - including several tape-measure shots - in his first batting practice session. He received permission Thursday to participate in extended spring workouts but remains ineligible to play in minor or major league games.

"My stomach was going," Hamilton said. "It feels like day one all around. It feels like I've got to start at the beginning again. That's the attitude I'm taking toward it. The drive I have right now is unbelievable."

Hamilton called this opportunity his "last chance" when it comes to professional baseball.

"That's the way I want it because that's what is going to give me that drive to do it," Hamilton said. "The past three years have been a real struggle, real frustrating."

Hamilton said the biggest challenge ahead is not on the ballfield, but the continuing battle with his addiction.

"It's a constant struggle," he said. "Everybody has got their own demons. You've got to come to grips with it and know that's the thing that's keeping you from living a productive life."

The turning point came about after he became a father.

"I got pretty bad for a while," Hamilton said. "I got to the point, I had my little girl, and the more time I spent with her, the light bulb just started going off. It's not about me anymore. It's about my family and doing the right thing no matter if baseball is involved or not. Actually, I never thought I would be back out here. It's exciting for me."

Hamilton is expected to play in some extended spring training games during the next couple weeks. There is no timetable for when baseball will clear him to play in minor league games.

"It's a great first step for Josh," Tampa Bay executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said. "There's still a long way to go."

I'm just hoping he doesn't try and snort up the first-base line.

:hot:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread