What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike McCarthy will be a flop as Packers HC (1 Viewer)

MrPack

reformed delinquent
Heard an interview with Aaron Rodgers today which really showed how McCarthy is already losing some players and training camp hasn't even opened yet.

Rodgers was asked how the OTA's were going and he said some of the newer guys are getting it, but the veterans such as Favre are getting McCarthy to change things that he installed in previous mini-camps such as McCarthy installed a new huddle formation, and a new cadence. Favre came in, didn't like it so McCarth changed it back. In the interview it seems like Rodgers is losing respect for McCarthy already. I was VERY impressed with Rodgers coming out and calling out some of the teammates who don't give it their all when Favre isn't practicing.

He said the veterans take those days as a day off, and don't give it 100%.

I also heard last week an interview with Donald Driver. Driver basically said the vets don't like the new system and he and Favre know the old system so they revert back to their old hand signals at the line and do things the way they know how. He cam off as extremely arrogant. I have never heard that from him before.

To me this is the inmates running the assylum. McCarthy needs to get the respect from the younger guys more than the vets, and it seems like he has lost it or never really had it.

I am not feeling very good about this.

McCarthy = Tice? :unsure:

I think that the Packers needed to hire someone willing to get in Brett's face in the way Holmgren did. It is called accountability.

Nowadays, that meant hiring someone with enough status that Favre may well have seen it as a threat and pushed him toward retirement.

Heard an interview with Aaron Rodgers today which really showed how McCarthy is already losing some players and training camp hasn't even opened yet.

Rodgers was asked how the OTA's were going and he said some of the newer guys are getting it, but the veterans such as Favre are getting McCarthy to change things that he installed in previous mini-camps such as McCarthy installed a new huddle formation, and a new cadence. Favre came in, didn't like it so McCarth changed it back. In the interview it seems like Rodgers is losing respect for McCarthy already. I was VERY impressed with Rodgers coming out and calling out some of the teammates who don't give it their all when Favre isn't practicing.

I also heard last week an interview with Donald Driver. Driver basically said the vets don't like the new system and he and Favre know the old system so they revert back to their old hand signals at the line and do things the way they know how. He cam off as extremely arrogant. I have never heard that from him before.

To me this is the inmates running the assylum. McCarthy needs to get the respect from the younger guys more than the vets, and it seems like he has lost it or never really had it.

Didn't you rip me a new one when I said this same thing back when he was hired?

Heard an interview with Aaron Rodgers today
Which station? I'd love to hear it, if anyone can round up the audio.
I looked for it, and will email them. It was on WSSP 1250am in Milwaukee.
Mr Pack listening to WSSP? I'm telling Bill.LAUNCH
:confused: :confused: :confused:
- Bill Johnson :)
That's who I thought you were talking about, but didn't get the joke. Do you know him?That guy is something else. If you don't agree with him, he goes off on you, he can't just have a conversation when someone disagrees with him, he takes it personal and turns it into a sarcasm fest. Sometimes i swear i can see him sitting there pouting...lol

Heard an interview with Aaron Rodgers today
Which station? I'd love to hear it, if anyone can round up the audio.
I looked for it, and will email them. It was on WSSP 1250am in Milwaukee.
Mr Pack listening to WSSP? I'm telling Bill.LAUNCH
:confused: :confused: :confused:
- Bill Johnson :)
That's who I thought you were talking about, but didn't get the joke. Do you know him?That guy is something else. If you don't agree with him, he goes off on you, he can't just have a conversation when someone disagrees with him, he takes it personal and turns it into a sarcasm fest. Sometimes i swear i can see him sitting there pouting...lol
Ya I used to be in the WAUK staff fantasy football league. Bill is cooler in person than he often can be on the radio. It was fun going in and dominating people who talk sports for a living :) )LAUNCH

Hmm. Is changing the snap count or terminology really that big of a deal? If Favre, Driver, Franks have been running the same play for five years, and now it's supposed to be called something else, is it really that big of a deal if they keep the name the same? I guess I don't see those things as that big of a deal.

The real test will be what happens when McCarthy has to be the hammer after a bonehead throw.

Hmm. Is changing the snap count or terminology really that big of a deal? If Favre, Driver, Franks have been running the same play for five years, and now it's supposed to be called something else, is it really that big of a deal if they keep the name the same? I guess I don't see those things as that big of a deal.

The real test will be what happens when McCarthy has to be the hammer after a bonehead throw.
No I agree it's not that big of a deal. The big deal is that McCarty installed this stuf then changed his mind when the vets got there. HE has to run the show, HE holds the hammer. He has to do that or he will be Ray Rhodes all over again, which I am starting to see and is scaring me.

McCarthy = Tice?  :unsure:
Maybe, but at least I was willing to give the guy a chance, you blasted him without even knowing him, or what he would be like.What he's showing now is leading me to believe that. Anyone who blasted the hiring the day it happened would have blasted the Packers no matter who they chose short of Mike Holmgren.

To me this is the inmates running the assylum.
Ask any Saints fan about the Haslett/McCarthy regime and this statement will be in the majority of responses.
he was uninspiring as a OC for the saints. i don't expect him to suddenly shine when given the reigns as a HC. of course, given the saints luck, he'll be coach of the year...

Maybe, but at least I was willing to give the guy a chance, you blasted him without even knowing him, or what he would be like.What he's showing now is leading me to believe that. Anyone who blasted the hiring the day it happened would have blasted the Packers no matter who they chose short of Mike Holmgren.
Guilty as charged. But I think my idea still holds true that you needed someone there to make a final push if Favre stayed and instead they got someone who was new to being a head coach and would want to institute his own ideas, plays, rules, etc. Bound to be conflict in that case.

There are so many first time head coaches, we know a few are going to be absolute abominations. What I would wonder about if I'm the Packers is, "how does this coaching staff improve on what we had?" McCarthy is a former Holmgren protege, is there any evidence to suggest he's better than Mike Sherman? The new DC was an assistant under Jim Bates (which is why they kept him after Bates refused to stay), can anyone really suggest he'll do a better job than Bates did a season ago? And while Jeff Jagodzinski did a nice job in ATL, let's remember three things...1) Alex Gibbs architected the Falcons O-line, 2) Jagodzinski has never been a coordinator before, and 3) He was fired by Mike Sherman (which is why he landed in ATL in the first place).

My short list for "most likely new coaching staff to flop..."

Oakland
Green Bay
New Orleans & New York Jets (Tie)

There are so many first time head coaches, we know a few are going to be absolute abominations. What I would wonder about if I'm the Packers is, "how does this coaching staff improve on what we had?" McCarthy is a former Holmgren protege, is there any evidence to suggest he's better than Mike Sherman? The new DC was an assistant under Jim Bates (which is why they kept him after Bates refused to stay), can anyone really suggest he'll do a better job than Bates did a season ago? And while Jeff Jagodzinski did a nice job in ATL, let's remember three things...1) Alex Gibbs architected the Falcons O-line, 2) Jagodzinski has never been a coordinator before, and 3) He was fired by Mike Sherman (which is why he landed in ATL in the first place).

Oakland
Green Bay
He was fired by Sherman you are correct, but it wasn't because of his lack of production, it was because he kept questioning Sherman's tactics and some of his decisions. Looking back, That's not a bad thing.

Oakland
Green Bay
GB there being 3 or 4 other teams out there with worse coaching hires than the Bills this year.

As a Niners fan, I'm glad we don't have him as our OC anymore. The offense he ran couldn't beat a CFL team.

Oakland
Green Bay
Mine:1) KC

2) Green Bay

Last edited by a moderator:

Oakland
Green Bay
He was fired by Sherman you are correct, but it wasn't because of his lack of production, it was because he kept questioning Sherman's tactics and some of his decisions. Looking back, That's not a bad thing.
Fair enough Mr. Pack, but at the end of the day, Mike Sherman's accomplished a heck of a lot more than quite of few of the guys who were hired this year. And, his own background being offensive line, I'm not sure the Texans don't get a much better end of the deal by bringing on Sherman as a consultant than the Pack does in bringing back (and promoting) McCarthy and Jags. :shrug: I have a feeling that three years from now, Packers fans are going to be looking back at the Mike Sherman era fondly, realizing he did a lot more than many others could've done with the same talent.

Oakland
Green Bay
GB there being 3 or 4 other teams out there with worse coaching hires than the Bills this year.
I'm not a fan of Jauron, you know that. However, I do think Steve Fairchild is a decent hire. I don't have much opinion on Perry Fewell, but you have to figure Jauron is going to run that defense, by and large.

I have a feeling that three years from now, Packers fans are going to be looking back at the Mike Sherman era fondly, realizing he did a lot more than many others could've done with the same talent.
He did considerably less than he should have -- and his often-abysmal work as a GM is one of the primary reasons the Packers have fallen on such hard times. It's HIGHLY unlikely most Packer fans will remember the Sherman era fondly. Sherman was nothing more than an average head coach, someone who did well in the regular season but was often an embarrassment in the playoffs (and that is where his true legacy should reside IMO).On topic, it's too early to make any definitive conclusions about McCarthy but I was not a fan of his hiring. His offenses in New Orleans were major under-achievers and I saw nothing from him last season in SF (granted the talent was poor) that indicated he was someone who should be viewed as a legitimate head coaching candidate. I'm not surprised that he may be encountering some problems. He was a weak hire who isn't going to command much respect from the players. If he wins, that will change but whether he'll be able to win or coach a team properly to win is the question.

I have a feeling that three years from now, Packers fans are going to be looking back at the Mike Sherman era fondly, realizing he did a lot more than many others could've done with the same talent.
He did considerably less than he should have -- and his often-abysmal work as a GM is one of the primary reasons the Packers have fallen on such hard times. It's HIGHLY unlikely most Packer fans will remember the Sherman era fondly. Sherman was nothing more than an average head coach, someone who did well in the regular season but was often an embarrassment in the playoffs (and that is where his true legacy should reside IMO).On topic, it's too early to make any definitive conclusions about McCarthy but I was not a fan of his hiring. His offenses in New Orleans were major under-achievers and I saw nothing from him last season in SF (granted the talent was poor) that indicated he was someone who should be viewed as a legitimate head coaching candidate. I'm not surprised that he may be encountering some problems. He was a weak hire who isn't going to command much respect from the players. If he wins, that will change but whether he'll be able to win or coach a team properly to win is the question.
I think Sherman's faults were in his personnel decisions, not his coaching. Was he the best coach in the league? Certainly not. But was he better than a good many coaches, many who still have their jobs? :yes: As to whether Sherman was an average coach...in six years at the helm:

Five winning seasons
Four consecutive playoff appearances
Three consecutive division titles
2001 -- 12-4 (Wild Card), lost in 2nd round to Rams (as they were expected to)
2002 -- 12-4 (Division Title), lost to ATL in second round (a bad loss)
2003 -- 10-6 (Division Title), lost in 2nd round to Eagles in OT (as they were expected to)
2004 -- 10-6 (Division Title), lost to Minnesota in wild card round (a bad loss)In four playoff appearances, he lost twice to underdogs and got ousted twice by teams favored over the Pack. Hardly the stuff of legend but also far FAR from as bad as it could've been with quite a few other NFL coaches at the helm.

:shrug:

I think Sherman's faults were in his personnel decisions, not his coaching. Was he the best coach in the league? Certainly not. But was he better than a good many coaches, many who still have their jobs? :yes: As to whether Sherman was an average coach...in six years at the helm:

Five winning seasons
2003 -- 10-6 (Division Title), lost in 2nd round to Eagles in OT (as they were expected to)
2004 -- 10-6 (Division Title), lost to Minnesota in wild card round (a bad loss)In four playoff appearances, he lost twice to underdogs and got ousted twice by teams favored over the Pack. Hardly the stuff of legend but also far FAR from as bad as it could've been with quite a few other NFL coaches at the helm.

Maybe that's why so many NFL teams rushed to hire Sherman as their headcoach after the Packers fired him.

Five winning seasons

Maybe that's why so many NFL teams rushed to hire Sherman as their headcoach after the Packers fired him.
Hey FLAWWED...having spent time chronicling the coaching carousel for the site, I can say definitively that Sherman didn't put his name in the ring for most of the jobs. He was burnt out and thought about not coaching this year. Ultimately he had some cursory discussions in New York. But if you think he won't get serious consideration in 2007 and beyond, you're kidding yourself.

Five winning seasons

Hey FLAWWED...having spent time chronicling the coaching carousel for the site, I can say definitively that Sherman didn't put his name in the ring for most of the jobs. He was burnt out and thought about not coaching this year. Ultimately he had some cursory discussions in New York. But if you think he won't get serious consideration in 2007 and beyond, you're kidding yourself.
He did a lousy job with Green Bay. I know a former player under Sherman that didn't have good things to say about how he ran the team and the lack of respect he was given by people around him. Not to mention some of the things some former assistant coaches had to say about Sherman.Oh, and he traded up to draft a punter in the 3rd round! ;)

To me this is the inmates running the assylum.
Ask any Saints fan about the Haslett/McCarthy regime and this statement will be in the majority of responses.
Impossible situation for McCarthy. He spends the first few months trying to play nice to Favre while awaiting Brett's decision about returning, biting his tongue while Favre behaves like ####. It's obvious that Favre is bigger than the coach, bigger than the team, and if Brett don't like it, well, out it goes. This undercuts McCarthy's authority and makes it impossible for him to succeed.

IMO, gb should have cut/traded Favre and started the inevitable rebuild with Rogers

Five winning seasons

:goodposting: Lost in your reply Jason was the fact Sherman blew a chance for the Packers to get to the Super Bowl. Poor coaching was directly responsible for the loss to the Eagles in the playoffs two seasons ago. That loss came against a superior team but one the Packers had beaten and should have beaten. The playoff losses to Atlanta and Minnesota at Lambeau were nothing short of pathetic and embarrassing.

If McCarthy does as bad as expected, Packer fans will definitely miss the Sherman era
Doubtful. It will simply mean Thompson made a poor decision in terms of hiring the head coach to replace Sherman. That's another argument entirely. It's highly unlikely many Packer fans will miss Sherman if McCarthy is a bad head coach. Instead, Packer fans will direct their rancor at Thompson for making such a poor hire in the first place.

ugh :bag: as one of the few who supported the hiring of mike mccarthy i must admit that so far i am NOT pleased with how things have gone since the rookie draft. to start, maybe 22 ####### players shouldn't be missing from the OTA's :hot:

rodgers interview june 9th especially 5:00 into it ("we'll see about that"...and i just smiled, etc) i think this says volumes about brett's approach and how mccarthy has handled things so far

i applaud aaron rodgers for being a leader and saying what had to be said. he could have just stayed silent, but when it reflects poorly on him (poor practices without brett around, etc) and could effect the packers chances of winning. it IS a leaders role to say what needs to be said. so he's there all offseason busting his ### to learn everything possible...in come the vets for the first time and the new coaching staff just changes some things back to appease them? :(

two things...

1) these statements should have been said by mccarthy himself. it doesn't look like he's running the show himself and it even seems like he's making the same mistake sherman made - catering to lord favre. the other new coach we've discussed this offseason got rid of his QB problem (childress and cpep in minnesota)

2) brett isn't doing anything different from last offseason. he threw 29 INT's last season but instead of coming in and learning the new system he'll just do whatever is easy for him now. he stated that if sherman was fired he wouldn't be back because he didn't want to learn a new offensive system. sherman isn't back but brett isn't really working to learn that new system, is he? he'd rather just change this one to suit him

i'm glad brett came back for another season, but if he's just going to be there when he wants (without putting in the extra work and preperation) i'd prefer his retirement and begin the aaron rodgers era as soon as possible. it's still early and things can turn around, but it doesn't look good right now

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm in the minority on this one...But I don't think Aaron Rogers has the right to open his mouth like this. Especially when the subject is the behavior of Veteran players. The vets have earned the right to have input in the way things are run, and they certainly deserve a few privledges over the rookies and 2nd year players who haven't proven a damn thing in this league.

Perhaps I'm in the minority on this one...But I don't think Aaron Rogers has the right to open his mouth like this. Especially when the subject is the behavior of Veteran players. The vets have earned the right to have input in the way things are run, and they certainly deserve a few privledges over the rookies and 2nd year players who haven't proven a damn thing in this league.
Partially agree.Veterans should have priviledges over rookies and unproven players.

Veterans should not have input into how the team is run. Since it's the coach whose head gets lopped off if they don't win, he should be able to run the team any way he sees fit. :2cents:

Partially agree.Veterans should have priviledges over rookies and unproven players.

Veterans should not have input into how the team is run. Since it's the coach whose head gets lopped off if they don't win, he should be able to run the team any way he sees fit. :2cents:
every winning team needs leadership. brett has always been a great leader (until very recently?). no doubt brett raises the level of play of others just by being around but he's not pushing himself enough anymore...and mccarthy (the new guy on the block) isn't demanding it from himso where's the leadership on the packers right now? at least rodgers in willing to put in the extra work and expects others to do the same as well...so that last year doesn't become the norm in green bay

If McCarthy does as bad as expected, Packer fans will definitely miss the Sherman era
Doubtful. It will simply mean Thompson made a poor decision in terms of hiring the head coach to replace Sherman. That's another argument entirely. It's highly unlikely many Packer fans will miss Sherman if McCarthy is a bad head coach. Instead, Packer fans will direct their rancor at Thompson for making such a poor hire in the first place.
true, but winning 10+ games/year and dominating the division during the regular season will start to seem like the good ole times. obviously, a lot will have to do with Favre's decline/retirement though, so I agree it won't all be due to the coaching change.but, things weren't really that bad in Green Bay compared to a lot of other teams around the league. I realize expectations are high there, but as an outsider, it certainly seemed like Sherman was no worse than an average coach and maybe even slightly above average compared to all of his peers around the league. I would have gladly taken him as the coach (but not GM) in Buffalo over Jauron.

every winning team needs leadership. brett has always been a great leader (until very recently?). no doubt brett raises the level of play of others just by being around but he's not pushing himself enough anymore...and mccarthy (the new guy on the block) isn't demanding it from himso where's the leadership on the packers right now? at least rodgers in willing to put in the extra work and expects others to do the same as well...so that last year doesn't become the norm in green bay
I don't think you can be a leader as a rookie or second year player if you haven't proven anything on the field yet. You simply haven't earned the right to step into a (vocal) leadership position at that point in your career. You can talk all that you want, but it will be falling on deaf ears because the respect from the verterans isn't there. You can however, lead with your actions. And that's what Rogers and every other young player on the team should be doing in camp. If a veteran player is dogging it in practice...Out-hustle him and make him look bad. That's the best way to get results...And respect. BUT KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT WHILE DOING IT.

true, but winning 10+ games/year and dominating the division during the regular season will start to seem like the good ole times. obviously, a lot will have to do with Favre's decline/retirement though, so I agree it won't all be due to the coaching change.
Not to those of us who actually watched Sherman's teams. If you sat through entire seasons of watching him coach, trust me, you wouldn't miss him once he was gone.
but, things weren't really that bad in Green Bay compared to a lot of other teams around the league. I realize expectations are high there, but as an outsider, it certainly seemed like Sherman was no worse than an average coach and maybe even slightly above average compared to all of his peers around the league. I would have gladly taken him as the coach (but not GM) in Buffalo over Jauron.
Expectations have a lot to do with it. Tony Dungy did very well in Tampa Bay and yet he got fired too. Did that make him a bad head coach? No, it just meant he wasn't getting the results the team believed it should be getting. Same with Sherman although he's not in Dungy's class as a head coach (maybe more comperable to Denny Green, who went through the exact thing as well with the Vikings). There's more to being a head coach than W-L record. At some point, you're expected to take a team to the next step - especially a team like the Packers which had genuine talent and a first-ballot Hall of Famer at QB. Sherman failed to do that and his teams progressively declined as his tenure went on. Now much of that had was a result of his massive shortcomings as a GM, but as a head coach Sherman left a lot to be desired as well.

Veterans should definitely have input when it comes to their side of the ball. That said, the coaching staff certainly doesn't have any obligations to make any changes based on that input. I think that's the key difference. Encourage input from the veterans, but only make changes if you actually agree with what's being said.I think a guy like Dan Reeves was far too rigid in his time in Denver and would have been better served to listen to the input of Elway and Shannahan. If the speculation in this thread is true, McCarthy could be on the opposite side of the spectrum...He's too willing to compromise his beliefs and that could come back to bite him in the ###.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to give McCarthy and his staff a season or two, or at least one game, before I start denouncing them.

McCarthy = Tice?  :unsure:
Yeah, at least you gave him a chance. It's June. Let me repeat that. IT"S ONLY JUNE. How can anybody make any judgements on whether a first year coach is going to be a success or not?

Users who are viewing this thread