What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 SSL-IV H2H commentary thread (1 Viewer)

ravnzfan

Footballguy
my pick of Gates @12 drew first fire...let me explain

RB options:

Caddy/DD

WR/TE options:

all

I could have had Caddy and 1 of Gates/Fitz/Holt

I don't really like Caddy---the split time in college and down time last year were bigger questions to me than Rivers starting @QB for SD....Rivers doesn't lack for snaps, as he started what I believe is an NCAA record 52 times---the guy won't match Brees, but it took Brees a few years to get it together

I wanted 2 players @ the top that could get a combined 600 points in this format...I think this combo of Gates/Fitz can

Caddy + 1 would not

will I struggle @RB? sure looks like it---I'll expain this alittle later

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Family Matters wife.He is in the hospital until tomorrow. He says to pick players as you see fit for his team.
Ok, boys...smoke 'em if you've got 'emI'm not willing to make the call this early in the draft for FM...we'll await his arrival tomorrow

and THANX Mrs FM!...we appreciate the head's up, and hope all is well

Mike, You'll be in my prayers tonight. No matter how serious or not serious it is, the hospital is not a fun place to be.

A 14 team draft is NOT a fun spot to be thin on RBs, however this is not your normal year. I plan on being the dominant team led by my consistent WR play. And you'll be surprised my next few picks as well...

When you have sleepers at RB, you can do it, when you don't you can't.

I sent a pm to grouse for my next 2 picks as I will be in class all day tomorrow without net access.

Mike, You'll be in my prayers tonight. No matter how serious or not serious it is, the hospital is not a fun place to be.
On a side note, it's refreshing to see someone's actual name referred to on these boards. Many of us have been here for several years, and don't know actual names. I have to resort to cell phone in some of these drafts. Now, imagine getting a phone call, and the caller says, "Frank, you're up. This is Bicycle Seat Sniffer." What would I say (and what would he say) if my girlfriend had answered and asked who it is? :)

On a side note, it's refreshing to see someone's actual name referred to on these boards. Many of us have been here for several years, and don't know actual names. I have to resort to cell phone in some of these drafts. Now, imagine getting a phone call, and the caller says, "Frank, you're up. This is Bicycle Seat Sniffer." What would I say (and what would he say) if my girlfriend had answered and asked who it is? :)
:thumbup:

:thumbup:
Try "Hey Pimp, it's Shadowmaster"That will cause some gophers to surface in the cube farm - I've tested it.

LOL!

I think FM said in the past he has chronic back pain I am guessing this has something to do with that.

FM I hope all is well with you. PM me if you need any assistance with this draft. I can take a cheatsheet or whatever u need.

more on Gates...

in 3-14 team dynasty drafts that went eariler this year, Gates went:

in a scoring system similar, but not exact to this one---

2PPR/TE

1PPR/WR

0PPR/RB

I wouldn't have taken Gates as high, but certainly from the 12 hole, as I did in our league

I can't discuss anymore w/o discussing players still remaining on the board...let's just I have no problem w/Gates @1.12, and wouldn't be caught dead w/a 2nd round QB

these are 2 very different drafting philosophies, and I'm sure neither will budge on how they view "value"

Ravnz,

I don't think that anyone would doubt that Gates is worth a 1st rounder based on last years stats. The difference in opinion seems to be whether or not he will be able to duplicate that insane year. Would you agree that there is a little uncertaintly with a different QB?

Ravnz,

I don't think that anyone would doubt that Gates is worth a 1st rounder based on last years stats.  The difference in opinion seems to be whether or not he will be able to duplicate that insane year. Would you agree that there is a little uncertaintly with a different QB?
absolutety!I saw enough of Rivers in the ACC (he had 53 starts in our league), to be comfortable enough not to down grade every San Diego player as a result...isn't LT still 1-1A in most drafts?

Gates 2 yr total was 170-2000-23

678 points in this format

75-925-10 is good for 302, which is about what I expect from him

I wanted 2/~300 point players in the first 2 rounds...I believe I got that w/Gates-Fitz...to me:

--the RB's had too many questions, although I had Caddy on my list "on the way back"--I was hoping NOT to get him, but if he was there if the others I selected were picked ahead of me, I would have taken him

--I already had SS/Chad combo in another league, drafting from the 11 in a 12 teamer...wanted to stay away from that pair, as I'm sure others from that team will appear here on this squad...I had Fitz over Holt and TO, who were the others available to me

because Gates ADP in standard scoring leagues is somewhere ~20, I do not feel his selection here @12 is a reach at all

in our format...PPR/2PPR(TE)...and "best ball", where we don't need to select starters...I feel there is a different strategy neccessary than the old standard "stud RB"

I am confident that w/what I've seen in other drafts--I have done 1 or 2 this off season ;) ---my squad will be solid as a rock

more on Gates...in 3-14 team dynasty drafts that went eariler this year, Gates went:1.71.61.2
Hey, I took Manning so I can understand the thinking of "someone is going to grab him early, might as well be me." I just think Gates is going too early IMO, and your proving that point some here. 1.2!!!! Guppy pick.He won leagues for ALOT of his owners the past 2 years, but at the slot he is going, AND with the questions on his team (not him personally, he is clearly a physical specimin and gifted player) he could very well be the big bust of the year as well.were going to find out................ and it is going to be fun!!!!!!!

Hey gang. Thanks for thinking about me and wishing me well. I really appreciate your support. Let me give you the quick update now that I'm back home.

As mentioned previously, I have a chronic neck injury with nerve damage. I've been getting treatment and trying different meds for over 2 years and nothing seems to be helping. Yesterday, I had a problem with my meds. They think the new meds I'm on created a reaction. Anyway, my blood press went through the roof and I turned a shade of red that only a guy drafting M. Faulk as the #1 pick still thinking he's the man would've been.

So they ran heart tests and determined I still have the heart for this game and should be able to repeat as champion.

Again, much thanks. It's nice to know people care even when they only know you as a handle.

Your relieved friend,

Michael Morrison

Family Matters

A 14 team draft is NOT a fun spot to be thin on RBs, however this is not your normal year. I plan on being the dominant team led by my consistent WR play. And you'll be surprised my next few picks as well...

When you have sleepers at RB, you can do it, when you don't you can't.
Achieving consistency at WR is an excellent step to dominance, but at what expense? And does having two top five candidate WRs assure consistency?

The Gates picks in a dynasty league have no bearing on this draft

That said, concerns about Rivers should be somewhat discounted (do you really think the Chargers are totally stupid? I don't. Rivers was good in college, they traded for him and have brought him and his clipboard along slowly), Gates on this sites projections would have more points in this scoring system than ANY WR

and more than 20% more than the next best TE

Manning is not even 10% ahead of the next TWO QB.

Gates has an AVP is 18th on this scoring system

Manning has an AVP of 33 on this scoring system

So my view is that Gates is easily a second round pick - late first is a very slight reach. Manning should be a third round pick (I could understand a case for last pick or two in the second on the turn)

Hey gang. Thanks for thinking about me and wishing me well. I really appreciate your support. Let me give you the quick update now that I'm back home.

As mentioned previously, I have a chronic neck injury with nerve damage. I've been getting treatment and trying different meds for over 2 years and nothing seems to be helping. Yesterday, I had a problem with my meds. They think the new meds I'm on created a reaction. Anyway, my blood press went through the roof and I turned a shade of red that only a guy drafting M. Faulk as the #1 pick still thinking he's the man would've been.

So they ran heart tests and determined I still have the heart for this game and should be able to repeat as champion.

Again, much thanks. It's nice to know people care even when they only know you as a handle.

Your relieved friend,

Michael Morrison

Family Matters
Great news, reaction to RX very scary indeed.

more on Gates...

in 3-14 team dynasty drafts that went eariler this year, Gates went:

Hey, I took Manning so I can understand the thinking of "someone is going to grab him early, might as well be me." I just think Gates is going too early IMO, and your proving that point some here. 1.2!!!! Guppy pick.He won leagues for ALOT of his owners the past 2 years, but at the slot he is going, AND with the questions on his team (not him personally, he is clearly a physical specimin and gifted player) he could very well be the big bust of the year as well.

were going to find out................ and it is going to be fun!!!!!!!
I just about fell out of my chair when Gates went 1.2...no question!I'm finding the bottom of the draft to be a crap shoot---as I only see ~8 or 9 solid RB options, who've disappeared before I selected @11/12 and 12/14

not happy w/the position, but I'm certainly not going to take RB11 or 12 "just because I'm next" (fox example, Rudi went 2.5 {17th} in the draft I mentioned, whereas he went 11th here--not calling out Hook here, but I did not have Rudi 11th overall in this league)

that is "herd thinking", that I won't be a part of---always a roll of the dice when you step out, but I always try to remember the draft I was sitting in in 1997, when guys call me out on a pick...consider this:

drafting 3rd in a 12 teamer, I get TDavis....

who do I take 2.10?

Dorsey 'freakin' Levens

"who's that?", the room shouts...guys are busy going thru the pages of their mags (it's all most of us had, back then!)

Levens was the little know 3rd down back in Green Bay, who put 10TD's on the board in ~150 touches the year before

he had just been annointed the starter, as Edgar Bennett was lost for the season to knee injury

was 2.10 too early?

probably....but it only takes 1 guy to f-up a draft strategy

the TD/Levens combo was good for ~ 3800 combined/27TD's...yeah, we won the league (my 1st title)

when you feel it, you have to go for it---or you'll kick yourself in the ### for the rest of the season when the guy you though "would drop to me in the 2nd'......doesn't

For ravnzfan and Team Legacy - nothing personal - I'm just always wondering how a team will turn out when you don't go the convential RB in Round 1.

Gates will likely have another outstanding year, as he will be Philip Rivers' best friend all season long (with someone named LT2 as well). This will be reminiscent of Brees' first year where LT2 had has 100 catches. Short consistent offense as the QB grows and learns.

The question is how the Survivor Team will shape up over the next 4-8 picks. That's the interesting part.

Best of luck with the strategy.

For ravnzfan and Team Legacy - nothing personal - I'm just always wondering how a team will turn out when you don't go the convential RB in Round 1.
depends on the rest of the team...I took Moss 1.8 here last year, and held my own for along time---my problem was not "no-RB in the 1st", but @QB, where I had Pennington/Grossman/ASmith :X

BTW...we play H-2-H---the "SSL-IV" is from where we came from, '04 SSL-IV bunch 'o Misfits!

so the league has regular H-2-H matchups each week (no eliminations), and we don't submit a lineup---"best ball" scoring, so the best 2-RB scores are tallied, as in survivor

I can not go any fiurther at this point, but sufice it to say that the league setup/rules allow me to deviate from "stud RB"--at least in my own mind, as it's obvious 12 other guys don't see it my way!

:lol:

Grabbing Chambers before Twilight.

Looked at him vs. Wayne vs. Driver hard there.
I would have liked Chambers as well. From there, it was a toss up between Wayne and Ward (I took Wayne). Driver was definitely in the mix as well. I guess great minds think alike.

:lol:

Grabbing Chambers before Twilight.

Looked at him vs. Wayne vs. Driver hard there.
Honestly, I was thinking of going Chambers in the 2nd instead of Moss. I think he is in for some really good things this year, but Moss was the safer pick. The fact that he almost slid to me in the 3rd was just a :cry:

I almost took Chambers as well in the 3rd. I was kind of surprised he was there, but I did not want to wait another 16 picks with you sharks to get a player for my RB2 slot.

Took a long look at Dunn as well, but chose Taylor for his upside as Linehan's guy in the Linehan Offense.

Rollin' the dice indeed......

PS - I think I'm gonna send everyone into shock by round 5 if I get what I want.

Well I'm going to be problem again Wedsnesday. Due to the hospital visit I now have to go to The Cleveland Clinic and will be out of pocket early Wednesday until about 5PM. I will PM a couple of picks to keep things moving to Capt. Hook. Sorry the issue guys but I gotta go blast the doc that got me into this bind yesterday.

Well I'm going to be problem again Wedsnesday. Due to the hospital visit I now have to go to The Cleveland Clinic and will be out of pocket early Wednesday until about 5PM. I will PM a couple of picks to keep things moving to Capt. Hook. Sorry the issue guys but I gotta go blast the doc that got me into this bind yesterday.
No biggie bro. We have plenty of time. Grab a Treo from the Sprint store on the way there and you'll be good to go!

Take your cheat sheet and a cell phone and have the Capt give ya a call mate - Glad to see your feeling better.

Took a long look at Dunn as well, but chose Taylor for his upside as Linehan's guy in the Linehan Offense.
Is anyone but JP really this high on Chambers?

Or are you just being polite? :yes:

School me :eek: !
Um, so ya know SM, Linehan took over the Rams. Childress is the man up in Minnesota. And OM, yes, he was next on my list after Randy. Easily the same tier as Boldin and Harrison, and above Wayne and DJax

Is anyone but JP really this high on Chambers? 

Or are you just being polite?        :yes:

School me  :eek:   !
Um, so ya know SM, Linehan took over the Rams. Childress is the man up in Minnesota. And OM, yes, he was next on my list after Randy. Easily the same tier as Boldin and Harrison, and above Wayne and DJax
LOL - Yeah, Mixing up my coaching changes. I actually woke up and realized I typed this wrong at 5:30am, but I wasn't going to get up and fix it until the AM.Childress guy in the WCO is what I meant, but I think you guys knew that.....

I'm not 100% sold on Chambers, but his skills are way up there.

Chambers / Driver / Wayne are all close, but the upside for Chambers is highest IMHO with CPep. Driver has to be a legit #1 option in GB, and they had to throw a ton last year so I don't see a huge increase for him. Wayne - unless we go back to 50 TDs for PManning, I don't see a huge upside either.

I think all 3 are good WR1s and great WR2s this season, so it really is a preference and upside call.

As for Brady - felt like a run was coming.

Chambers / Driver / Wayne are all close, but the upside for Chambers is highest IMHO with CPep. Driver has to be a legit #1 option in GB, and they had to throw a ton last year so I don't see a huge increase for him. Wayne - unless we go back to 50 TDs for PManning, I don't see a huge upside either.

I think all 3 are good WR1s and great WR2s this season, so it really is a preference and upside call.

interpretation - trying to start a run :P

Interpretation - fearing the run..... :D

Just drafted Rod Smith a few picks after Walker was drafted. I'm still not sure why Walker continues to be drafted over Smith in so many mocks, when Walker is coming off a serious injury and playing for a new team. In most mocks I've seen, they are drafted a few picks within each other. The drafting within a few picks of each other reminds me of Ward and Burress in drafts about 3 years ago. Actually, I guess Fitz and Boldin are drafted the same way, within a few picks of each other in most drafts.

Just drafted Rod Smith a few picks after Walker was drafted. I'm still not sure why Walker continues to be drafted over Smith in so many mocks, when Walker is coming off a serious injury and playing for a new team. In most mocks I've seen, they are drafted a few picks within each other. The drafting within a few picks of each other reminds me of Ward and Burress in drafts about 3 years ago. Actually, I guess Fitz and Boldin are drafted the same way, within a few picks of each other in most drafts.
I think it's because of upside. Rod Smith is great, but is a WYSISYG sorta guy while Walker could put up moster numbers.

Chambers / Driver / Wayne are all close, but the upside for Chambers is highest IMHO with CPep.  Driver has to be a legit #1 option in GB, and they had to throw a ton last year so I don't see a huge increase for him.  Wayne - unless we go back to 50 TDs for PManning, I don't see a huge upside either. 

Your concerns were valid.

Your concerns were valid.
I'll admit I don't mind being at the front of the wave.....Rounds 4-7 are more challenging than 1-3 in my opinion.

Normally Shadowmaster steals the guys I want right in front of me, but I am very suprised at 2 Qb's in the first 5 rounds. Especailly with no trading, and one of the Qb's being Peyton and all.

Users who are viewing this thread