What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C'mon parents....stopped with the EFFed up names.. (1 Viewer)

I need to name a child in approximately 3 months. This thread has made it a certainty I won't be able to decide until gametime.

:loco:
:goodposting: When's her due date? My wife is due Sept 22nd.

We don't have anything set yet but so far we like Isabella and Alexandra.
Oct 11 (likely by appointment).

Rulings:

Brenden (good ol' Irish)

Jackson/Jack (probably too trendy).
Classic names are never "trendy". Of course I liked my son's name (Jackson) a lot more 6 years ago when we had him than I do now that 518,293 other kids in our town have been given the same name since.

Rulings:

Brenden (good ol' Irish)

Classic names are never "trendy". Of course I liked my son's name (Jackson) a lot more 6 years ago when we had him than I do now that 518,293 other kids in our town have been given the same name since.
Is Jackson really a classic name? I thought most Jacks back in the day were Johns, not Jacksons. I love the name Jack by the way, but there are just too damn many of them including my nephew who is a little twit.

Rulings:

Brenden (good ol' Irish)

Is Jackson really a classic name? I thought most Jacks back in the day were Johns, not Jacksons. I love the name Jack by the way, but there are just too damn many of them including my nephew who is a little twit.
:lmao: :lmao:

Let's not even mention the entertainment world, where novelty is worshipped for it's own sake.

If an entertainer names their child Jane or Robert, they will be hooted by their peers. But if they name it Polar or Skyscraper, they will meet universal praise.

Rulings:

Brenden (good ol' Irish)

The other one that popped into the equation this last week was:Brayden.

:o
:shrug: We named our son Braeden, but call him Brady for short.
Brenden :thumbup: Brayden or Braeden or Braidon or whatever :thumbdown:

No reason to get "too cute" when naming your kid. Brenden and Brandon are fine.

Alright, naming discussions are getting serious in the Nigel household. Baby is due in three weeks.

It got mixed reviews earlier in the thread, but it looks like Nolan is the likely boy name. You've got one last chance to state your cases for it sucking or not.

For girls we're down to Lily and Kate (name will officially be Katherine).

Nolan Ryan is the man.

But HTH's is the only opion that counts on this topic.
Yeah, I'll sit tight and wait for him to weigh in.
:lmao: Ok.....Nolan is borderline but it doesn't make the list so it is alright. Feel free to use Nolan.

Kate/Katherine......... :thumbup:

Lily is OK.....only if it's NOT short for Lillian.....Lillian is pretty crappy but doesn't make the list.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh here's another one, my wife is dead-set on Olivia for a girl. I don't think it is uber-gay, just sort of gay. It sounds like a grandmother's name. FWIW, I don't think my input counts on this one.

HTH, official ruling?

Nolan Ryan is the man.

:lmao: Ok.....Nolan is borderline but it doesn't make the list so it is alright. Feel free to use Nolan.

Lily is OK.....only if it's NOT short for Lillian.....Lillian is pretty crappy but doesn't make the list.

HTH
No, Lily is just plain old Lily.Thanks HTH!

Nolan Ryan is the man.

HTH
No, Lily is just plain old Lily.Thanks HTH!
You're good to go.....

Alright, naming discussions are getting serious in the Nigel household. Baby is due in three weeks.

It got mixed reviews earlier in the thread, but it looks like Nolan is the likely boy name. You've got one last chance to state your cases for it sucking or not.

For girls we're down to Lily and Kate (name will officially be Katherine).
Nolan is ok... depends on the last name.Kate (Katherine) is total :moneybag:

Lily... not so much.

I went to Jr. High and High School with a girl who went by the name Astra.

Gorgeous black girl with a bit of an attitude.

Every year at the beginning of the school year, or whenever we had substitutes, at roll call, it was hilarious watching teachers struggle with her real name:

Lufituaeb.

Seriously, her name was Beautiful backwards.

Oh here's another one, my wife is dead-set on Olivia for a girl. I don't think it is uber-gay, just sort of gay. It sounds like a grandmother's name. FWIW, I don't think my input counts on this one.

HTH, official ruling?
Olivia isn't bad....I just can't think of a decent nickname for Olivia.....I wouldn't fight Olivia if the wife set on it. You're good to go......

Oh here's another one, my wife is dead-set on Olivia for a girl.  I don't think it is uber-gay, just sort of gay.  It sounds like a grandmother's name.  FWIW, I don't think my input counts on this one.

HTH, official ruling?
Olivia isn't bad....I just can't think of a decent nickname for Olivia.....I wouldn't fight Olivia if the wife set on it. You're good to go......
Olive?

HTH, official ruling?
Olivia Newton JohnCould sing "Let's get physical" whenever she walks into the room.

Newt

Olivia is big as Bolivia

Was at a cookout this weekend and there was a kid named Blaze. Flaming red hair to boot :eek: . All I could think of was Blazin Hazen.

HTH, official ruling?
Olive?
My friend's daughter is named Olivia. She calls her "Livie" for short. It's kinda cute because it goes with her personality.

HTH, official ruling?
Olive?
My friend's daughter is named Olivia. She calls her "Livie" for short. It's kinda cute because it goes with her personality.
:no:

HTH, official ruling?
Olive?
:goodposting:

HTH, official ruling?
Olive?
She's just so cute though with her blonde curly hair that bounces with each little step.

HTH, official ruling?
Olive?
She's just so cute though with her blonde curly hair that bounces with each little step.
So why ruin it with a trendy/stupid name like "Livie"?

Two that I've seen recently:

Tevan - wtf?

Gared (pronounced Jared) - Congratulations, buttholes. You've now assured your child a lifetime of misspellings and confusion because you thought you were being clever. But in English, a "G" followed by an "A" is a hard G, Jeniuses.

TannerBoyle said:
Here are some doozies from yesterday's paper:

(first and middle names only)

Derek Brooks...Cappy had a kid?

Cemauri Andrew...huh?

Malachi Deondre...double huh?

Dakota Sage (girl)...sounds like a tumble weed you'd find on the plains

Damien Faith...satanists?

Serenity Ariana...$10 says she gets a stripper pole for her 13th birthday

Marley Kawaii...he's my favorite rastafarina ukelele player

Nadally Judith...Natalie down?

Cerenity Marie...stripper name + misspelling for double word score

Justin Case...I swear to larryboy I'm not making this up.  That's the kid's first and middle names.
Where in the paper do you find these.... :lmao:
Once a week they print a list of births. Parents names, weight, length etc. It's always a good read.
What do you care how much a parent weighs anyway?

TannerBoyle said:
Here are some doozies from yesterday's paper:

(first and middle names only)

Derek Brooks...Cappy had a kid?

Cemauri Andrew...huh?

Malachi Deondre...double huh?

Dakota Sage (girl)...sounds like a tumble weed you'd find on the plains

Damien Faith...satanists?

Serenity Ariana...$10 says she gets a stripper pole for her 13th birthday

Marley Kawaii...he's my favorite rastafarina ukelele player

Nadally Judith...Natalie down?

Cerenity Marie...stripper name + misspelling for double word score

Justin Case...I swear to larryboy I'm not making this up.  That's the kid's first and middle names.
Where in the paper do you find these.... :lmao:
Once a week they print a list of births. Parents names, weight, length etc. It's always a good read.
What do you care how much a parent weighs anyway?
"Length" would be interesing though. :unsure:

OK, since everyone on this board is so good at giving non-sarcastic, heart-felt advice, and I just happened to see this thread ,I'll post up:

We're having our first child (a son) next Monday (going in for a c-section as the baby is breech) My wife keeps suggesting the name Griffin as a first name. It was her mother's maiden name and she thinks it would make a cool first name. She tells me people could call him "Griff" and it would be great.

Me: not thinking that is such a good idea.

I like something simple and honest, like Sam

Am I wrong here?

OK, since everyone on this board is so good at giving non-sarcastic, heart-felt advice, and I just happened to see this thread ,I'll post up:We're having our first child (a son) next Monday (going in for a c-section as the baby is breech) My wife keeps suggesting the name Griffin as a first name. It was her mother's maiden name and she thinks it would make a cool first name. She tells me people could call him "Griff" and it would be great. Me: not thinking that is such a good idea.I like something simple and honest, like SamAm I wrong here?
Is it too late for a divorce?

OK, since everyone on this board is so good at giving non-sarcastic, heart-felt advice, and I just happened to see this thread ,I'll post up:We're having our first child (a son) next Monday (going in for a c-section as the baby is breech) My wife keeps suggesting the name Griffin as a first name. It was her mother's maiden name and she thinks it would make a cool first name. She tells me people could call him "Griff" and it would be great. Me: not thinking that is such a good idea.I like something simple and honest, like SamAm I wrong here?
Griff is a nickname for someone with a last name of Griffin.A Griffin itself is a lion eagle, not a name.On the other hand, I have never trusted anyone named Sam. Never. I can't vouch for how honest that name is.

I would push for a different name, especially if you're having doubts about it before he's born. You could always call Sam, Samantha as a nickname. Honestly, I don't care for either name but it's not my boy. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread